Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 14,961 to 14,980 of 70,160

Ryu_Niiyama

@Luna_110 If you can get the Mini I'd get it if I were you. You'll be able to find the Apple Pencil...this? Not so much.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Luna_110

@Ryu_Niiyama
I need the pencil for note taking since I'm going to be a TA next semester as a part time job, and grading papers is far easier if the stylus has hand detection included, and I don't have to print them.

So, what to do... Maybe if I eat noodles next months I can afford both... The Snes releases in September so I have time to save up.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

erv

Put what you have in the switch. Much more fun

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Octane

More expensive and less games. But SF2... I want it, but I don't need it... but I kinda want SF2.

I expect they'll release it on the eShop at some point, right?

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@Octane I wouldn't be too sure, in fact I'm back to wondering if VC will even be a thing on Switch. Sure there's that classic game collection thing with the online subscription but that isn't VC, more like the 3D Classics line for 3DS.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I want VC.

Don't need 4 additional consoles with 8 additional controllers sitting under my TV just to play a limited selection of retro games.

Give me my VC already. But, I figured this would happen. Everyone thought they deserved the games for free on every Nintendo console just because they bought it once upon a time, and Nintendo now has ZERO incentive to bring these games to Switch.

Instead, they'll repackage NES games as "Classics" with 1 month online and sell 20 game retro consoles to the masses.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

I'm very interested in this. I think mainly because SNES is the one main Nintendo console I never owned. Might get it.

Bizarrely didn't have much interest in the NES one, considering that was my first console. I think already being pre-occupied with NES games in a different way, plus the lack of games I feel much desire to own (beyond ones I already do) kinda killed that interest for me.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal While you will be able to keep the games you download while you have the subscription, we do not know the situation regarding the downloads themselves. It could be like Games With Gold where you miss it if you don't download within the month.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

I'm wondering how they will do DS and Wii VC this time around. I mean technically the switch can run both but I am wondering if the lack of stylus or IR will but a crimp on this (not from a dev perspective but from a ROI perspective).

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama Do we know it can run Wii games? There's a chance if it can do GameCube I think.

Octane

skywake

@Octane
There's not a huge gap between the Wii and GC so if it can do GC it should be able to handle Wii. I think the bigger issue, as @Ryu_Niiyama said, will be the controls. You can emulate the WiiMote pointer with gyro controls and you can probably find a way to fit the dual screens of the DS onto a single screen. But whether or not they bother and how well they'll be able to do it is another question entirely.

Honestly? I think Wii VC makes a lot more sense than DS VC simply because of the screen aspect ratio. And I still think that if/when they push out the Wii VC they'll also push out an update that enables WiiMote support in the VC. Including Classic Controller support (i.e. NES/SNES Mini) for other VC titles. Meaning you can use the JoyCon OR you can use the authentic controllers.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

meleebrawler

@skywake Don't you need a sensor bar for Wiimotes to work? Where do you plug that into the Switch?

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haruki_NLI

@meleebrawler IR Camera on the joycon?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@skywake DS VC on the Wii U could be displayed on the GamePad for off-TV play if I'm not mistaken. It fits in one screen on the Wii U, so I'm sure they can do something similar for the Switch.

I'm also sure there's a way to emulate the IR pointer through gyro controls. As long as the Switch can emulate GameCube and Wii games, I'm sure there's a way to make them playable. The only ''issue'' I can imagine is how they map the controls. Maybe they need to map the + and - buttons to the left Joy-Con instead, or the 1 and 2 buttons. The right control stick needs to function as a D-pad too. It's a bit convoluted I think, but it should work in theory.

@BLP_Software I don't think the right Joy-Con was designed to be used like that. Holding it upside down? Emulation through gyro controls is a better way I think.

Octane

skywake

@meleebrawler @BLP_Software
You're both off the mark. Yes the JoyCon has an IR pointer but it doesn't need it to emulate the WiiMote pointer because you can do that with just the gyro. Would it be perfect/authentic? Well no, not for all games. But for getting a Wii VC to work it'd be fine.

However getting the WiiMotes to work as they did on the Wii? You do need a sensor bar. That is the only hurdle other than the person also having a WiiMote. Luckily the sensor bar is just a couple of IR LEDs. You can still buy "wireless" sensor bars for ~$10 or USB powered ones for about the same. And if you're happy to do a bit of DIY you can convert a sensor bar to be powered by USB pretty easily.

@Octane
Yes emulation via gyro controls would have to be done for them to be able to sell them. They can't expect consumers to be willing to get a WiiMote and setup a sensor bar. I just think that if they're going to support it they should also support the original controllers. The USB -> GC controller adapter, WiiMotes via Bluetooth and the SNES/NES Classic Controllers. Required? No. But an option for people who want a more "authentic" experience.

Edited on by skywake

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

StuTwo

skywake wrote:

Honestly? I think Wii VC makes a lot more sense than DS VC simply because of the screen aspect ratio. And I still think that if/when they push out the Wii VC they'll also push out an update that enables WiiMote support in the VC. Including Classic Controller support (i.e. NES/SNES Mini) for other VC titles. Meaning you can use the JoyCon OR you can use the authentic controllers.

That would make a lot of sense. Using JoyCons to emulate the Wii motes will, by necessity, be a compromised experience. But it might work well enough to make it viable.

Most people will never buy additional peripherals but opening up the option for dedicated fans to use the original Wii motes will make it something that the people posting on this thread wouldn't automatically turn their noses up at.

Plus opening up the potential to use the authentic NES and SNES classic controllers through the Wii mote would be very, very welcome.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

OorWullie

I don't think there will be a Wii VC,They'll go the remaster/remake route with Wii,just as they did with Gamecube on Wii U.Both Galaxy's and Skyward Sword being the obvious candidates.Then next gen,we'll get a few Wii U remakes/remasters instead of Wii U VC.

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

skywake

@OorWullie
Why not have the Wii on a Switch VC. The time and spec gap is about the same as it was between the Wii and N64. More to the point they sold Wii games on the Wii U eShop. I get the appeal of remasters but there's a huge catalogue there that they could sell

Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime and Galaxy? Sure, HD remasters make sense. But DKCR, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Paper Mario, Excitebots and Wario Land Shake? Give us a VC because those games won't be remastered.

StuTwo

@skywake I still hold out hope that they'll remaster DKCR as part of a collection with DKC TF one day. But, yeah, in principle I agree.

In practice though it's the many interesting but flawed third party games on Wii that will most likely never be remastered and are most in need of a VC. But third parties seem to have completely turned their backs on VC for various reasons (perhaps the combination of licencing fees cutting into the sales margins, a smaller base of people willing to pay for their older games and a business model that's not built on fostering a "long tail" mean that it's just not profitable for them in the way that it is for Nintendo?).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

skywake

@StuTwo
Based on the retail Wii games I have as a "random" sample size I'd say....

~20% - Remaster (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Okami)
~10% - I don't care about the Wii version (Mario Kart, Guitar Hero, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros)
~70% - VC (Rhythm Heaven, Zack & Wiki, de Blob, Red Steel 2, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii Sports)

Edited on by skywake

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic