Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,701 to 12,720 of 70,011

skywake

JaxonH wrote:

skywake wrote:

I just don't see what Nintendo would gain from steering you away from the eShop.....

At the same time, they've got nothing to lose either. If you've got emulators on your PC next to Switch, stopping people from streaming to Switch won't stop them from just setting the Joycon down, walking 5 feet and grabbing the Xbox controller. People are gonna play what they're gonna play

Well sure, if people are emulating classic games Nintendo isn't going to win them over. And I know that's what I was responding to but I think the issue is broader than that. For example say this thing comes out and a new game releases on Switch and PC. Which version are you going to get? The one you can play on PC and stream to your Switch or the one that you can only play on your Switch? I don't think Nintendo would want to encourage purchases on other platforms at the expense of their own.

Again, other companies have done this thing before. Sony has it, Microsoft has it, Valve has it and NVidia toyed with the idea of it. But all of them have done it in a way that steers consumers to their stores. Or in the case of NVidia encouraging you to buy their GPUs. There's a reason why you can stream XBOne games to a PC but you can't stream PC games to your XBOne. Microsoft wants you to buy games for their platform not Valve's.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

StuTwo

@skywake I see both sides of the story but I think you're right. There's no way that Nintendo will allow a workaround that basically gives pirates free reign to stream emulated NES and SNES (let alone Gamecube and Wii U!) games to their Switch. It'd really hurt the appeal of the Virtual Console.

Where I think @JaxonH has something though is that, at some point, Nintendo might one day decide they have nothing to lose by allowing streaming to Switch. You're always going to get a much better experience by buying a game on Switch and running it natively - especially if you want to make use of the portability of the Switch.

Furthermore I think that the potential to turn Switch into a streaming box for PC games could actually dovetail quite well in a few ways if Nintendo absolutely can't do anything to get the big 4 Western publishers to offer proper support. Since those games wouldn't be on Switch natively and Nintendo's games wouldn't be on Steam there would be little to lose.

The day may come but, let's face it, Nintendo giving up control of their walled garden in such a dramatic way would be one of the signs that the "end times" are upon us. I could see Nintendo striking a deal with Microsoft to publish Zelda on Xbox Scorpio in exchange for Halo on Switch long before I could see them admitting a Steam streaming app on the eShop.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

skywake

@StuTwo
Again, the piracy thing would be an issue but I think it goes deeper than that. Even legitimate use of this kind of software could be a net-negative to Nintendo. When you buy a game on a platform some of that money you spend goes to the platform holder. Nintendo would be potentially shooting themselves in the foot if they made games brought on PC more attractive.

Now there is a way that it could make sense for Nintendo. Perhaps if the app is done well enough PC gamers might start buying the Switch as a device to stream their games to. Not unlike what the NVidia Shield was/is. If more people are buying the Switch for that reason then maybe they get a few Switch exclusives while they're at it. But knowing how large companies usually work I don't think they'll see it that way. I think they'll see the option for you to stream Skyrim from PC to Switch as a potential lost sale for Skyrim on Switch.

Edited on by skywake

Therad

skywake wrote:

I think they'll see the option for you to stream Skyrim from PC to Switch as a potential lost sale for Skyrim on Switch.

Which of course is BS. Because even if they lost one sale of skyrim, they will gain in other sales. I have a hard time believing someone will buy a switch only because of streaming. In that case, they are probably far better off to just buy a steam link.

Therad

skywake

Therad wrote:

Which of course is BS. Because even if they lost one sale of skyrim, they will gain in other sales.

I wasn't saying I agree I was saying that's the way Nintendo would likely look at it. If I can tape a song on the radio I won't buy the album. That sort of thinking. If an app exists on the Switch eShop that allows me to play a game like Skyrim on the Switch without paying Nintendo anything? They're going to look at that as a lost sale. Which is why I think this app is unlikely to appear on the eShop.

Therad wrote:

I have a hard time believing someone will buy a switch only because of streaming. In that case, they are probably far better off to just buy a steam link.

When Valve releases a version of the Steam Link that has a battery and a screen then sure. Until then there aren't many other options on the market. The Nvidia Shield is locked to NVidia GPUs and has effectively been discontinued. The Switch is basically the closest thing to its successor on the market. So yeah, if this worked? I could see PC gamers picking up the Switch for that reason.

But again, I don't think Nintendo would see it that way.

NEStalgia

@skywake "So yeah, if this worked? I could see PC gamers picking up the Switch for that reason.

But again, I don't think Nintendo would see it that way."

Nintendo makes hardware to sell software. Not to sell hardware toys to use with your PC. They'd go broke on that! Kind of like Gilette making razor handles to sell blades. If they only sold handles to use with store brand blades, they'd go broke because they're selling that part basically at cost so they can sell you a lot more overpriced blades forever.

NEStalgia

GuruOfGreatness

For those Switch owners who have Super Bomerman R, do you think a Switch is worth buying for this game?

I know Mario Kart 8 is due this week, Street Fighter in May and Splatoon 2 during the Summer, which is enough to keep me and my gaming habbits happy until the library picks up.

I'm not interested in Zelda as I got it for the Wii U and am not prepared to double dip (don't mind doing it for Mario Kart though lol).

I really love the Bomberman franchise though and think I'd love this game, and I can get it, along with the console and a Pro Controller for £385 from GAME. I know I could probably get it a little cheaper elsewhere, but I have about £430 in GAME Gift Cards, so it'll definitely come from there.

The main thing I keep hearing is that Bomberman is good, but not worth £50.

Edited on by GuruOfGreatness

GuruOfGreatness

ValhallaOutcast

The one reason it wont hurt VC is if they make these VC roms more than just the base game, adding in online support, leaderboards, achievments etc will make them more appealing than remote play from your PC

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

Grumblevolcano

There's a Splatoon 2 tournament at E3! This year for Nintendo is sounding more like a 2014 than a 2015!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JoeDiddley

I was out of the loop in 2014 so after all the mentions of E3 2014 around these parts I've just Googled it.

Yes. Absolutely yes. Another E3 like that would be epic. Is it likely?

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

JaxonH

@GuruOfGreatness
Games are worth whatever you value them at. If you love Bomberman, you're gonna love Bomberman R cause it's a solid Bomberman game. I bought it. It's got some DLC that's expanded the game also, and they just improved framerate to 60fps.

It's not a game I would personally buy a system for, but I'm not you. I got the system for Zelda, Skyrim, Fast RMX, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem, SMTV, Dragon Quest XI, Octopath Traveller, Ultra SFII, Sonic Mania, and countless other games I'm forgetting and the many many more to come over the next 5 years.

That and the fact all of them can be played as HD handheld games, and easily switched between console and handheld (It's one thing to have a version of each, it's another to have one save file and one system and just grab the system and go, come home and just dock it).

But ya, Idk. If Bomberman isn't enough, the next 5 years of coming games will be. Either way I'm guessing you're gonna get one, sooner or later.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

IceClimbers

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Yeah, those are expectations from Macquarie Group, not a confirmation.

A new Monster Hunter hasn't even been announced for Switch lol

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GuruOfGreatness

@JaxonH

Oh for definite I'll be getting one. I had one pre-ordered on launch day but cancelled it (on launch day) because I didn't want a new console back then for JUST Bomberman. But we are nearing 2 months later now with more games on the horizon.

I will undoubtedly own one by the end of this year, as I want Bomberman, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Street Fighter, Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade 2, and that's just this year (that we know about so far with no delays).

I was just curious if Bomberman had longevity to it for a couple of months or if it was purely a 20 minute at a time game that got repetitive very quickly?

I guess in a nutshell I want to know if anyone thinks it's a system seller at £50, knowing what games are coming?

GuruOfGreatness

Peek-a-boo

Speaking of Capcom, it looks like Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is skipping the Switch.

Untitled

I guess the umpteenth version of Super Street Fighter II will have to do...

GuruOfGreatness wrote:

I guess in a nutshell I want to know if anyone thinks it's a system seller at £50, knowing what games are coming?

@GuruOfGreatness Unless you are a lifelong fan of the Bomberman series, it is a little bit daft to buy a console for just one game, especially considering that it is asking you to cough up £330 for the Switch (which isn't cheap...) on its own along with a single game. Super Bomberman R will highly likely end up being £25 in a few months time anyway.

It sounds like you have already made your mind up though so, go ahead and buy a Switch!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

dumedum

It would be pretty stupid for Capcom to announce this game for the Switch when the Switch exclusive, Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, wasn't even released yet. Maybe Nintendo and Marvel plan to have this game later on for the Switch, if it makes sense for them.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Peek-a-boo

@dumedum It's the same old game we have all been playing since 1993, albeit with a facelift and an unusual first person mode that looks a bit crap in all honesty, and this is coming from a big Street Fighter fan.

And there is absolutely no logical sense in 'hiding' a Switch version of Marvel vs. Combat: Infinite from the public eye, just because of a 25 year old game that just so happens to be coming out soon. It is either coming out for the Switch, or it isn't. Unfortunately, all signs point to the latter.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic