Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 70,113

GrailUK

@IceClimbers Agreed, I don't think the small discs were a gimmick. I looked up gimmick and underneath it had a picture of the Virtual Boy.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@Project_Dolphin Oh yeeeaaa, I forgot about the anti-piracy take on mini discs.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

IceClimbers

@Project_Dolphin That doesn't make it a gimmick. That's you trying to spin things around so that you can be "correct". That's not a proper argument, that's you not accepting being wrong and desperately wanting to be right.

Mini discs aren't a gimmick, period. Them claiming they have faster load times is them attempting to justify their stupid decision based on their insistence on proprietary media, their resistance to optical media, and their resistance to piracy.

Don't even bother trying to turn that around to make seem like you're correct by grasping at straws.

This back and forth over "gimmicks" devolved from the back and forth that started between you and @skywake because you're so fixated on "it's not a simple replacement" as if the word simple means anything in this context when it doesn't.

Now can we please go back to the topic of the thread now?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

skywake

I just think it's amusing (yes, that is the right word) that someone is arguing that a handle and a different capacity disk were gimmicks. When the next generation the same company came up with a dual screen portable and a waggle stick. When in the same generation their competitors were playing around with media playback and online.

I mean, sure the former may be a gimmick with a very loose definition of the word. But compared to what else we call a gimmick in the industry? Compared to what is and was actually novel? I think it's fair to say most people would have a higher gimmick definition threshold.

Coincidentally "Gimmick Definition Threshold" would be a fantastic band name.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

IceClimbers

@Project_Dolphin

Did you not read this part:

IceClimbers wrote:

Don't even bother trying to turn that around to make seem like you're correct by grasping at straws.

And yet you did exactly that.

The only one denying reality here is YOU. The two parts of my statement that you quoted don't even contradict each other. Nintendo was against using optical media, but they were forced to. Due to their own stubbornness, they stupidly went with the mini-discs because it's a proprietary media with anti-piracy measures. It ended up being an anti-game measure instead, as several games like GTA were forced to skip the Gamecube. Needing a way to justify said decision, they claimed that the mini-discs had faster load times.

Nintendo did not, I repeat, DID NOT choose to use mini discs as some "trick to sell the Gamecube." Therefore, by the definition of "gimmick", it is not a gimmick. Simple as that.

Edited on by IceClimbers

IceClimbers

@Project_Dolphin That would make their "justification" a gimmick, not the mini-discs themselves. Nice try.

IceClimbers

@Project_Dolphin Just because they were not essential, does not make them gimmicks.

I'm done trying to reason with a brick wall here. Again, time to bring this thread back on topic.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1219713

Kimishima didn't even really deny that it's a replacement to the Wii U. It's pretty clear that it's a replacement to both Wii U and 3DS. Wii U first. Third pillar returns!

skywake

@Project_Dolphin
If you want to accuse people of being obtuse perhaps you should go back to your original point. The only reason you brought up the Gamecube (yes, you brought it up) was as an example to show that every console has had some kind of gimmick. Because a few of us were posting guestimates for what specs the NX would have and we (deliberately) didn't talk about what it's "gimmick" would be. Which for some reason rubbed you the wrong way.

And if having a different capacity disk to the PS4 would be enough to make you happy? If that's all it would take for it to be considered "different enough"? Then I'm not sure the difference matters. If that's what you meant then I don't know why you made a point of disagreeing in the first place.

Edited on by skywake

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

WebHead

Who cares most of you will buy anyway.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

gcunit

Far be it for me to disrupt an an entertaining chinwag... but I'm not finding this Gamecube/Gimmick tangent on this thread at all entertaining, since about 4 pages ago. jm2c.

Somone not too far back mentioned the 3rd parties with respect to the Wii U... but if the NX was indeed a fleet of devices that could all run the same software at varying levels of performance, then the 3rd parties from DS/3DS can obviously be considered as potential partners from the get-go. That's the whole point of convergence - Nintendo has struggled to provide enough 1st/2nd party games across the two separate systems, but if the 2 systems merge then we have reason to hope Nintendo can do much better at a steady stream of quality games, regardless of 3rd party involvement, but also the 3rd parties can follow suit and put their games on both portable and home devices without any/much additional cost.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

WebHead

Yeah can we please stop with that? Take it in a Skype message or something.

And once again I think people are taking the "simple replacement" phrase way too seriously.

WebHead

Grumblevolcano

@NewAdvent Couldn't you just perceive all of that as just PR talk though? The GBA/DS situation comes to mind.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

WebHead

@NewAdvent well you go tell all them media outlets that.

WebHead

WebHead

@NewAdvent are you excited for them to not listen?

@Project_Dolphin I do everyday lol. Wouldn't matter Nintendo do what they want, common sense be damned.

WebHead

DefHalan

I think we need to get away from the word "gimmick." Just looking at the basic definition "a trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business." means basically anything someone is trying to sell. When a definition is so broad, it means nothing really. Everything has a gimmick because everything is intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

NewAdvent wrote:

Of course he's going to spin his product as 'something new', going into technicalities it is new regardless of what it is. Why does what Kimishima says get brushed off, while what a faceless internet user says is taken by the media as cold hard fact?

Because websites (and forum users to some extent) have to fill in that empty space with something. When there's nothing much to say then it's going to be filled with whatever there is. It just so happens that at this stage all the info we have is from random online sources. Some possibly legit, most just attention seekers.

As for the official statements? Well I don't think there's much to read into. It's really just PR, of course they're going to say the NX is a unique and interesting piece of hardware. What else are they going to say? That it's not interesting or unique? Really, the only concrete thing we have are Nintendo's sales projections because they have to be black and white. And despite all their PR speak they're projecting that the Wii U is going to fall off a cliff when the NX launches.

Project_Dolphin wrote:

And why didn't you talk about a gimmick until I mentioned it? Gamers want to talk about possible specs for the NX — cool, but when those specs are just PS4-equivalent at best, then they just make the NX another PS4 unless other features are added to make the NX clearly stand out from the other consoles.

I didn't list the gimmicks I think the NX would have because:
1. An actual gimmick is impossible to predict so why post it? I'm going to be wrong anyway.
2. I don't think it matters to the extent that you for some reason think it does
3. It was a forum post and I didn't realise you were handing out marks
4. According to your definition of gimmick I probably listed a few anyways

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

Project_Dolphin wrote:

Speaking of (the lack of) common sense, did I already mention that gamers still have to wait a year before they can play the NX, and there are barely any new Wii U video game releases to play until then?

Hmm. Maybe Nintendo is planning to release a PS4 clone. It's nonsensical to keep gamers in the dark about a (supposedly) ho-hum console when the current console has few future video game releases and competitors are offering much larger video game libraries on other consoles. That's not a good mix.

I disagree. I think it is a good idea to keep quiet about the console. Showcasing it now gives the competition too much time to "out-do" what the NX offers

Grumblevolcano

@DefHalan However if you keep quiet too long, people move to the competition anyway.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DefHalan

@Grumblevolcano Very true, but right now we know all 3 companies have hardware in the works and the first one to reveal will put themselves at risk. Since the others could "out-do" it with enough time. The NX is currently in a position to either disappoint majorly or impress massively, without a lot a room inbetween lol. If Sony does release the PS4K in September, and XB1.5 releases in holiday. NX Q1 2017 could be more powerful and at a reasonable price, with some other hooks to get people engaged.

One major question is, will PS4 users upgrade, get a second console, or stay with their current system? I see that last two options are more likely than a lot of PS4 users upgrading. There will be some that upgrade but I don't think many will before the NX comes out.

The NX will be able to play into the idea that PS4 owners need to upgrade by offering a new unique experience at a similar price. Will many PS4 owners actually choose to upgrade their current system over getting a new one and expanding what they can play? (Again, since people like to point this out, there will be some that upgrade, but I don't think many will. I doubt that half the current install base will upgrade)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic