Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 10,201 to 10,220 of 70,077

FGPackers

I said something like that on the latest Splatoon 2 news comments, but some days ago i expressed why i like the app possibility: doing it while returning home or when you can't turn on the system to select a proper time with friends.

I can't say it all the time, would be annoying

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

rallydefault

jump wrote:

TomJ wrote:

A small something I've noticed from some folks lately, or in the past.

"I'm fine with X decision, I'm happy with it, therefore, it is the right decision, no questions asked." (paraphrase, not exact quote)

Ha, that's actually pretty accurate.

Sounds to me like an internet forum!

Er... why are we surprised? Why is this news?

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Octane

@FGPackers Don't think anyone has an issue with the app itself. I think it's a great idea. I just don't like the idea that it replaces the voice chat and matchmaking via the console itself. The app isn't the problem, the possible omission of online features on the device itself is.

Octane

erv

The same goes for a sim card slot, for me, to be honest. I want the switch to be independent when it comes to portable connectivity.

It's similar to the alternatives to voice chat they approach now. Especially if, as likely, it means that you can't chat or speak because the device is being used for the connection itself.

Kinda silly.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

KirbyTheVampire

This is Nintendo, after all. They take something that has the potential to be great and make it not so great.

KirbyTheVampire

FGPackers

@Octane yeah i know and understand it. I feel your disappointment, but to me it's not a big issue

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

GrailUK

@KirbyTheVampire That is a really unfair assessment.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

LzWinky

TomJ wrote:

"I'm fine with X decision, I'm happy with it, therefore, it is the right decision, no questions asked." (paraphrase, not exact quote)

Similarly, you have

"I'm not fine with X decision, I'm not happy with it, therefore X company is stupid for doing it"

Octane wrote:

@FGPackers Don't think anyone has an issue with the app itself. I think it's a great idea. I just don't like the idea that it replaces the voice chat and matchmaking via the console itself. The app isn't the problem, the possible omission of online features on the device itself is.

It's also pointless since most of us have online social places anyway.

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

This is Nintendo, after all. They take something that has the potential to be great and make it not so great.

As do most companies in general

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

TuVictus

TomJ wrote:

Yeahhh this. But I mean you can't really expect much different on a Nintendo(or Sony or Microsoft) based fan site. It'd be like going to a church and questioning lots of the sermon

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

LzWinky

What do you mean? The polls and comments don't agree with your statement

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ogo79

Untitled
i can feel it

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

LzWinky

Come on now, let's Switch back to the conversation

Also...

Untitled

Joker is the best

Octane

@TheLZdragon If that is true, then why do developers even bother adding voice chat in games to begin with?

Also, there's a difference. I've never said or implied anything about Nintendo itself. And since when can't we disagree with something Nintendo does (or any other company for that matter). Having the option of picking your own preferred method of voice chat is always better than having no options at all.

I understand what TomJ is saying though. Just because you don't care about something, doesn't mean it's the right decision and nobody's allowed to question it. That's the complete opposite what I'm saying. Always question why developers or companies are making certain decisions, never just agree to what they're doing. And if anyone wants to make the argument that VA being limited to your phone is better than having the option of doing it through the Switch itself as well, be my guest, I'd love to ear your argument. No sarcasm intended, I'm serious.

Octane

BigBadJohn

@Octane I think the problem is nobody knows whether it'll be better or worse. It's good that's there's a debate over it but it goes back to the "wait and see" philosophy. Potentially you could say handing off all the chat and matchmaking services to a dedicate app would provide a seemless experience between all online games and also preserve resources and power on the switch itself. It's never been done by any other company so we haven't got anything to compare it to. Just because it's different doesn't make it bad... or good.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Octane

@Mellor2000 I'm not talking about the app itself, I'm talking about the lack of options to do voice chat. All I'm saying is that having the option to do it another way is always better than not having the option. I already said that I like the app, I like the idea and it has a lot of potential. It's indeed a wait and see game, kinda getting used to that, and I already acknowledged that. I don't buy the lack of power argument though, even the original Xbox could do voice chat.

Edit: Even the DS had voice chat.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

otterskateboard

@Maxz
The console charges via USB-C which is relatively new but a simple charge cable is fairly cheap and easy to get.
The one issue is the location of the charge slot. The slot is on the underside of the console which makes it impossible to charge while in tabletop mode.
So if you want to emulate the suave swagger of that guy in the switch advert casually playing the switch from a pulldown airplane table you'll have to be either somewhat fleetingly cool or invest in an awkward plastic contraption from HORI: https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Playstand-Nintendo-Switch-Offi...
Definitely not a big deal but still an odd design choice
And if this the Max with a Z I think it is, big hello from kaizo hell! Make another Mario Maker level already!
-adam

Therad

Octane wrote:

@TheLZdragon If that is true, then why do developers even bother adding voice chat in games to begin with?

Also, there's a difference. I've never said or implied anything about Nintendo itself. And since when can't we disagree with something Nintendo does (or any other company for that matter). Having the option of picking your own preferred method of voice chat is always better than having no options at all.

I understand what TomJ is saying though. Just because you don't care about something, doesn't mean it's the right decision and nobody's allowed to question it. That's the complete opposite what I'm saying. Always question why developers or companies are making certain decisions, never just agree to what they're doing. And if anyone wants to make the argument that VA being limited to your phone is better than having the option of doing it through the Switch itself as well, be my guest, I'd love to ear your argument. No sarcasm intended, I'm serious.

it would interfere less with the console. Less memory, less CPU time and less traffic on your lan/wireless, meaning you would get the same experience regardless if you play single player or multiplayer. On the power twins, they quite often have turned down visuals in multiplayer.

Another thing has to do with local multiplayer. Let's say you and a friend are using the same switch and connect to an online match, then you can both be in the same chat room with minimal interference on hardware.

A third thing could be where do you put the headphone jack and not have it confusing? Right or left joy-cons? Both? On the switch itself? Bluetooth?

A fourth could be Nintendo wants to protect smaller children who may not have their own phone. Child protection has historically been a concern for Nintendo.

A fifth reason could be to give you an urge to play fe: heroes between matches, preferably buying some orbs.

Therad

KirbyTheVampire

@GrailUK It's an exaggeration, of course. Nintendo does some really cool stuff, and I've enjoyed most of their consoles a lot. Let's not pretend their weird ideas haven't landed them in trouble before though, with the Wii U in particular.

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

@Therad Yeah, I understand the potential of the app, I don't see how those are arguments against the option of having both.

As I said a couple of posts back, the original Xbox had voice chat, and even the DS had voice chat. A potato can do voice chat if they wanted. How much RAM is allocated to games? The system itself has 4, I think the rumour said 3.2 to games. Whatever the reason is, I doubt RAM is the bottleneck here.

The reason why visuals are turned down during online play is to increase the framerate. Voice chat is handled outside of the game and therefore shouldn't be able to interfere, so it's a moot point anyway.

Octane

rallydefault

Octane wrote:

Yea, this is exactly how I feel. Though I'm still holding out hope that you'll be able to at least chat in-match through the console itself if you want. I wouldn't even mind if lobby chat was tied to the app, as long as "all-game" chat or whatever kicks in when a match of Splatoon 2, for instance, begins.

I'm not too upset about the friends list stuff either. None of my real-life friends buy Nintendo consoles, and I'm not really big on friending complete strangers. Though I think it will actually be super convenient to be able to access all your friend list stuff through the app.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic