Forums

Topic: Top 10 digital-only games that need a physical release. (2022 Edition)

Posts 1 to 20 of 35

Magician

I'm not going to play favorites (otherwise I'd pick nothing but rpgs), we're going over to Metacritic and just pulling the top rated games that do not have a physical copy available, either at retail or as a boutique limited release.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/s...

Overboard!
Unpacking
Cuphead
What Remains of Edith Finch
Fez
A Short Hike
Into the Breach
Bastion
Inside
Tetris Effect: Connected

We have the rumors of Cuphead getting a physical release sometime after launch of the DLC. The absence of a physical release for Bastion surprises me considering just how popular Hades has been. I also assume boutique publisher iam8bit will serve up a physical release for What Remains of Edith Finch...eventually. And the lack of a physical release for Into the Breach is borderline criminal.

Anywho, what are some digital-only games you'd like to have physically?

Discuss.

P.S. - Please don't say Alien: Isolation or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, no publisher is going to pay for the use of 32GB cartridges that those games require.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,256 games (as of May 29th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Zuljaras

I would love:

1. Graveyard Keeper - I really, REALLY want this game in physical edition with all DLCs!

2. Castlevania Advance Collection (I hope LRG will announce it this year)

3. Diablo 2 Resurrected (but that would be impossible knowing how greedy Blizzard are!)

4. Terraria Journey's End on the cartridge!

Kayvoo

Doom Eternal, GRID Autosport.

My Heroes:
Frank Zappa
Bill Hicks
Satoru Iwata

Nintendo Network ID: Kayvoo

MarioBrickLayer

@Magician I was going to say Alien Isolation until I read the last line of your post!!!

1. Firewatch
2. Islanders
3. Spelunky 1 + 2
4. The Touryst
5. Undermine
6. art of rally
7. Golf Club Waste Land
8. Super Arcade Football

MarioBrickLayer

jump

It would be great if Alien: Isolation or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice had a physical release! ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Sasuke94

FEZ, Firewatch, Everybody's Gone to Rapture and FAST RMX come to my mind.

Sasuke94

DJP-

Famicom Detective Club!

DJP-

Magician

@DJP- The fact that the Nintendo-published Japanese physical release doesn't support English really disappointed me with that one.

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Bunkerneath

Darkside Detective 2, as the first one was released physically by Super Rare and it finished on a massive cliff hanger.

Also agree on Fez

Edited on by Bunkerneath

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

MarioBrickLayer

Well it's been a good start to the year on this thread, Horace and Golf Club Wasteland are great releases!

MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

@magician A few games mentioned in this thread have physicals announced or released, do you have any new ones to add? For me it's; 7 Horizons, Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread and Squish.

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

@MarioBrickLayer Not at the moment. I've been knee-deep playing the backlog to consider anything new right now.

MarioBrickLayer

Magician wrote:

P.S. - Please don't say Alien: Isolation or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, no publisher is going to pay for the use of 32GB cartridges that those games require.

jump wrote:

It would be great if Alien: Isolation or Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice had a physical release! ;p

With LRG doing Doom Eternal, I wonder if it changes things regarding Alien and Hellblade? Isn't Doom Eternal a bigger file size than Alien: Isolation?

MarioBrickLayer

Magician

MarioBrickLayer wrote:

Magician wrote:

jump wrote:

With LRG doing Doom Eternal, I wonder if it changes things regarding Alien and Hellblade? Isn't Doom Eternal a bigger file size than Alien: Isolation?

The reason Doom Eternal is getting done is because LRG only recently became an official Xbox partner. Which means there's a chance Hellblade could receive a physical distribution down the road. That would still depend on their willingness to use 32GB cartridges. But I assume Alien Isolation will remain digital-only because...well...that's Sega game.

SillyG

@MarioBrickLayer : I hypothesised that LRG’s release of DOOM Eternal will be a trimmed to fit onto a 16GB cartridge, and will be a separate, physical-exclusive build to that which is available via the eShop. This theory is supported by the fact that LRG’s page for the game only lists English as a supported language (which would have helped reduce the game’s size), while the eShop version supports the typical slate of languages.

I suspect that the expansion missions will be issued a separate standalone release by LRG sometime in the near future, also on a 16GB cartridge.

We’ll find out the truth shortly, but I can’t see them handling this any other way.

Edited on by SillyG

Porygon did nothing wrong.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Teksetter

I never noticed this topic earlier...
Here's a few titles lacking physical releases that come to mind right away:

Ghosts n' Goblins Resurrection
Capcom Arcade Stadium (1 and 2, I suppose)
Actraiser Renaissance
Cuphead
Alien Isolation (sorry, couldn't help myself)

These are like AAA releases that I would have bought at full price many months ago if they were available on cartridge. I did cave and buy Alien Isolation and Capcom Stadium digitally, but not until they were at 50% discount.

There's many more I have wishlisted that I would add, time permitting. I'll try to check in again later.

Switch FC: SW-5760-3019-8223
(player name is Beesh)

Magician

Magician wrote:

Overboard!
Unpacking
Cuphead
What Remains of Edith Finch
Fez
A Short Hike
Into the Breach
Bastion
Inside
Tetris Effect: Connected

With the announcement today of Overboard coming via Strictly Limited, that makes four of the ten games I listed getting physical releases. Lets hope the ball keeps rolling. With the Cuphead DLC released late last month could an announcement of the physical release be soon?

Krull

I’d like to see Persona 4 Golden get a physical edition. Deserves to exist beyond the Vita version in the real world.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

MarioBrickLayer

Another one off the list with A Short Hike from SRG...

MarioBrickLayer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic