Forums

Topic: The Wonderful 101: Remastered on Switch

Posts 121 to 138 of 138

Tyranexx

@Reprise Yeah, I agree, that cover is pretty underwhelming. And whose bright idea was it to not include the title on the side? Seems backwards and poorly thought out to me.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Quarth

Got my retail copy today. I love the style of the game, but the controls probably takes some time getting used to (TV mode). Maybe it's easier with the touch screen?

Is there any way to change the difficulty during the game or am I stuck with the choice I made at the beginning? I always overestimate my ability to play a Platinum game, lol.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Reprise

@Quarth The game is way harder using right stick, isn't it? I played a bit of handheld and the touch screen is a bit easier, but everything does feel all a bit tougher and less intuitive than the Wii U original. Mind you, it's been years since I have played the original, so maybe it's always been like this.

I started getting into the swing of things after a little while. Make sure to get the dodge move and the the one that absorbs damage.

Reprise

Quarth

@Reprise Yeah, it's kinda tricky with the R stick, but I'm slowly adjusting to it. The dodge move is essential.

Quarth

It is somewhat easier to play in handheld mode, but still tricky. Just finished the mission where Wonder Green is introduced. Love that character! He looks so funny when running fast.

What a weird game this is and I mean that in a positive way! It's original, humorous, cartoony, hectic, all over the place. The missions are unpredictable, you'll never know where they'll go next and the game constantly throws new mechanics at you. There's a risk it becomes overwhelming, but at the moment it's very balanced IMO. It reminds me of Bayonetta in a way (which isn't strange, as it's a Platinum game), but at the same time it is its own thing.

The biggest minus are the controls, but on the other hand: how can you improve them more in a game like this? At least I've kinda gotten into the gameplay loop now, so it feels manageable. But I don't expect platinum trophies at the end of every mission. I'm glad if I get silver. 😅

Edited on by Quarth

Grumblevolcano

The game is now updated to 1.0.2, don't know what the update does though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NintendoByNature

Still need to crack open my copy. As soon as I'm done with Borderlands, I will.

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Playthrough started last night. There's no question its a platinum game, which is a good thing. The controls are a little clunky at first but after a little time, I got used to it. Just slayed the 2 headed dragon and geathjerk(sp?).

Edit: when you get a new member by saving them, for instance, Wonder-Medicine. Can you actually use them or do you save them for any real purpose?

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Spoiler for a unite I cannot figure out.

just got wonder black and for the life of me after 15-20 times I cannot get unite bomb down. Is there some sort of thing im missing here? I've not had any trouble with any others.

Nevermind. The color is dangerously close to the same color as wonder pink so it really thru me off and thought I was doing it incorrectly.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Just defeated wahl_guujin(sp?) And wow that was such a cool boss fight. One of the cooler moments I can recall in gaming history for me. I dont want to spoil why but those that have played it before probably know what im talking about. That entire section in the ruins was such an awesome section for another reason I dont want to spoil lol. Great game so far.

NintendoByNature

NEStalgia

I'm giving this game another try after kind of shelving it on WiiU. There's so much about the game that I want to love, and yet, I can't help but feel it's just a really bad game overall. It's a cool CONCEPT game, but the actual implementation leaves me frustrated far too often. I love the concept, the feel, the theme, the setup for the game. I love how it wants to go off the wall in crazy concepts and what it tries to do. And I love that it's kind of a retrospective of everything Kamiya, from Bayo type battles to Okami drawing weapons, to Viewtiful characters. But when you put it all together it becomes an incoherent frustrating mess. The camera is never where you need it to be. Drawing weapons, special devices, etc never quite works reliably, and particularly when you need it to. There's far too many deaths for "I have no idea what I was supposed to do at all, and there was a timer." - IMO a game that relies on continuous trial and error deaths to even figure out what to do is too deeply flawed. The "two headed dragon" (orowchee....fun pastiche on the traditional demon and probably a fun nod to Okami in particular) fight exemplifies what frustrates me so much. The battle goes on and on and on and on and on, with "oh geeze, it's still not done yet...." in a way that gets very tiresome very fast, with too many stupid deaths because the game isn't always clear what's going on or even how the mechanics are used. The one play through I spent the whole time and almost got the heads down ....then somehow it flailed the wings and threw me off (which didn't happen the other times....) and when it respawned, and checkpointed the continues, it put me somehow off-screen or inside the dragon..... There was no way out and I had to kill the game and restart from the beginning.

The next time I barely got out of that and then Lambo comes down and attacks...so after all that work it introduces yet another new attack that you don't really know how to counter, and then he kills you.

So I go through it again, get past that get through the next phase...now you have wonder jumps with bad timing and no way to prepare. I finally get through that in the first try with only a sliver of health left.....and then it throws one MORE phase of the battle at you.....and you have to draw unite guns....and every time I try to draw unite guns it fails 60% of the time and the timer drops me down. I manage to make it out with a shred of health, but if it killed me there after all that I don't believe I'd have ever touched the game again. I am NOT redoing that whole thing due to some surprise deus ex machina they throw into the battle after the millionth phase of the battle.....

And I even played the whole game before on WiiU on easy.

NEStalgia

kkslider5552000

All of those are issues with the game, but I never found them to be remotely as bad as you're saying. Mostly the times I remember it being annoying are the ones that tried too hard to use the Wii U features and one specific part near the end. Like generally every one of the 9 acts would have either a few brief moments or one part of a level where things wouldn't work so well or were conveyed poorly (well I mean, ignoring the initial hurdle of figuring out how to be decent at this game), but by and large I remember it working quite well and either knowing what to do or realizing that I forgot to do the obvious thing.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

@NEStalgia I can back up your frustration with camera angles,but the other stuff hasn't been that bad. Some parts were frustrating but they never seemed persistent.

The cameras though, they are very rough at times. Where I cant even see theres a stairwell im supposed to exit out of. So I'll say that. Other than that, it's worthy of anyone's time id say. Not nearly as great as bayo or Astral chain, but still some good fun.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

The camera in this game is indeed frustrating. It's...functional, but barely. It makes me dislike tight areas even though I normally like exploring. I just dealt with a puzzle in a tight space, and it would've been WAY more obvious than it really was if I'd had a better view of the room.

That's by far my biggest complaint. I'm still not a huge fan of the Wonder Liner due to how temperamental it is, even with upgrades. Still, this gets better as you go on due to both practice and adaptation. Also, there was a QTE I kept failing the other night for I don't know why, even though I was spamming the attack button. The best I can figure is that the game wasn't interpreting some of my inputs in handheld mode correctly. I had absolutely no problems during the next session when the system was docked. O_o

Issues aside, I really am enjoying the dialogue and general theme of this game. It's so...goofy, in the stereotypical whimsical hero sense. Some of the track is pretty decent, too. Oh yeah, and the game has definitely earned its T rating lol.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

NintendoByNature

Not sure how this happened, or how I can fix it. But I started the hame on normal, and I just checked as I was firing up the game now, and it says its very easy. I 100% didn't chose this at the beginning or change it. Any idea how I can fix this mid game?

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I'll have to play around with the settings later, but I'm fairly certain the difficulty can be adjusted. I'm not sure if you have to go in through the options menu or if the player can do it by transferring control to that subscreen shown/hidden by the - button. I'm almost certain that extra screen is what remains of the Gamepad functionality from the Wii U original.

Edited on by Tyranexx

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx i got it figured out. Have to do it between missions. Problem is, I don't even know how I changed it in the first place

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature I've wondered that too. Either we're changing the setting by accident, or the game automatically adjusts it lol. But yeah, I've noticed that screen between missions. That's what I meant by "subscreen". Should've been more specific up there.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic