Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 5,601 to 5,620 of 15,210

Dezzy

@Nicolai:
Looked pretty similar to me! Someone can probably settle this with a gif.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Lets talk about the grass again.
I like that games have now managed to render whole fields of grass, instead of just little clumps. I think Xenoblade Chronicles kickstarted this trend.

But the grasses of those vast prairies carry the taint of ash—the seed of industrialization. Yes... yes the wind carries the scent of soot and ash, billowing from chimney upon chimney. This landscape stretches as far as you can see, and beyond that horizon still, drowning the world in it's callous monochrome. It's name? 'Open world,' for the world ends not in fire or ice, but with buzzwords.

You see, I might like that grass more if it didn't indelibly sap my soul.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TuVictus

iKhan wrote:

I don't get why people hate seeing menus and options on screens. IMO, complaints about stuff like that is what caused the awful UI design trend where software hides as much as possible from view (Looking at you Google Chrome).

I far prefer having full visual access to that stuff. Even in games where it is mostly passive information rather than interactive elements, I like having that stuff available, as I find it helpful.

While I agree, I also think there can be way too much information on screen. I think xenoblade x is guilty of this. As well as the fact that there was so much info on screen that the text was so extremely tiny. Ugh. I'd take any of Zelda's on screen UI to that dreck.

TuVictus

Haru17

Action bars are a pox.

Nicolai

Haru17 wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

I like that games have now managed to render whole fields of grass, instead of just little clumps. I think Xenoblade Chronicles kickstarted this trend.

But the grasses of those vast prairies carry the taint of ash—the seed of industrialization. Yes... yes the wind carries the scent of soot and ash, billowing from chimney upon chimney. This landscape stretches as far as you can see, and beyond that horizon still, drowning the world in it's callous monochrome. It's name? 'Open world,' for the world ends not in fire or ice, but with buzzwords.

Beautiful words indeed; I might use that for my next signature.

On the one hand, just because open-world is trendy right now, it doesn't make it bad. At the same time, I do hope that Zelda U is am isolated case. Not every Zelda game beyond this point has to have pick-able and edible apples, and countless climb-able mountains. With that said, @Haru17, the grass animation has nothing to do with the open world concept; it's a visual feature that would be equally stunning in a game as linear as Skyward Sword.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Dezzy

Untitled

Haru17 wrote:

Feel like I just read an emo teenage boy's diary.

Edited on by Dezzy

jariw

iKhan wrote:

I don't get why people hate seeing menus and options on screens. IMO, complaints about stuff like that is what caused the awful UI design trend where software hides as much as possible from view (Looking at you Google Chrome).

I far prefer having full visual access to that stuff. Even in games where it is mostly passive information rather than interactive elements, I like having that stuff available, as I find it helpful.

You don't like to see the game? In TP/Wii, almost 50% of the screen is covered by the HUD. In TP:HD, it's more like 10%.

For Wii U games, HUDs (all info or some parts of it) are better on the Gamepad. Many indies and games like AC3/4 or Lego City:UC has shown how great that can work. And in both WW:HD and TP:HD I prefer to have the map only on the Gamepad.

jariw

Haru17

Nicolai wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

Beautiful words indeed; I might use that for my next signature.

On the one hand, just because open-world is trendy right now, it doesn't make it bad. At the same time, I do hope that Zelda U is am isolated case. Not every Zelda game beyond this point has to have pick-able and edible apples, and countless climb-able mountains. With that said, @Haru17, the grass animation has nothing to do with the open world concept; it's a visual feature that would be equally stunning in a game as linear as Skyward Sword.

Glad you liked them.

Anyway, the logic is open world's popularity -> complaining about linear and directed games -> demanding everything is open world -> games that were forced to be (and shouldn't have been) open world. So in that sense open worlds do make games bad, to say nothing of the resource demand.

And grass = open world metaphorically. Especially in Xenoblade's case.

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Untitled

Wow, that is an astonishingly bad quality jpg—even for a game as jaggily as Xenoblade!

And you can make what you will of my words.

DefHalan

Untitled

This better?

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

jariw wrote:

iKhan wrote:

You don't like to see the game? In TP/Wii, almost 50% of the screen is covered by the HUD. In TP:HD, it's more like 10%.

I like seeing the game, but I'll gladly sacrifice screen space for helpful information.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

mobilegamehacker

There needs to be a balance between having the right amount of information while not being distracting.

mobilegamehacker

Haru17

Chandlero wrote:

mobilegamehacker wrote:

There needs to be a balance between having the right amount of information while not being distracting.

Or just giving you options

(Whispers: It's almost like Monster Hunter is the only Nintendo game that has it's head on straight right now.)

Dezzy

Haru17 wrote:

Wow, that is an astonishingly bad quality jpg—even for a game as jaggily as Xenoblade!

And you can make what you will of my words.

They've changed it since I posted it. Was a high res image originally.

Haru17

Tsurii wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Chandlero wrote:

mobilegamehacker wrote:

Or just giving you options

(Whispers: It's almost like Monster Hunter is the only Nintendo game that has it's head on straight right now.)

In what universe is Monster Hunter a Nintendo game?

You're right: just think of all of those times I've played it on Playstation in the current decade OH WAIT. Monster Hunter is a 'Nintendo game' in the same sense that Titanfall was an Xbox one (Xbox actually having a brand beyond the company name to refer to, which makes these discussions easier).

Sticker

I'm not bragging but, you Zelda fans finally know how us KH fans feel like waiting for KH3.

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

shaneoh

Sticker wrote:

I'm not bragging but, you Zelda fans finally know how us KH fans feel like waiting for KH3.

Content knowing that we'll get another Zelda game at some point soon?

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic