Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 13,921 to 13,940 of 15,210

Jhena

@Ralizah Your not wrong. And i would argue that link also doesnt go beyond the Tse, Hick,Huaaa and the most important stuff the ....(Im good)^^ The difference is really the vibes the character gives of. And i prefer the past ganons over calamity ganon.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

KirbyTheVampire

Calamity Ganon was hardly menacing. He was basically just a purple cloud floating around Hyrule Castle that does absolutely nothing until you approach it for the final boss fight. Not much of a villain.

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

For the entirety of the game I thought I was going to fight purple-whale-cloud Ganon too. I would've preferred that over the boring second phase.

Octane

StuTwo

Wind Waker Ganon is a reasonably rounded and interesting character with clear sympathetic motivations. None of the other versions of Ganon ever have this - "he's evil kill him" is as far as it goes.

It's a shame because BoTW has a plot and a narrative function (the memories) that would have allowed a more rounded "human" Ganon to be presented. Like maybe he could have been the "once in a 100 years" Gerudo boy stolen away by the Yiga clan and raised to stake his claim on the land so he can return them to their "rightful" place in Hyrule. It would have made the plot much more compelling - it'd explain why the everyone was so fearful of "something" happening if there was an actual rallying point for anyone opposed to the regime.

They could also have made Ganon both a dark reflection of Zelda - unsure of his place in the world and forced into his role by prophesy whether he wanted it or not - and a more morally grey character (was he really in charge or was he a puppet of the Yiga? Did he want to destory or was a tragic turn of events? etc.).

As other's have noted though story isn't the reason to play any Zelda game. They have interesting worlds full of character and some stand out story moments but an actual good plot? I'm not as sure about that.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Ralizah

@StuTwo Yeah, I don't get why people are acting like Ganondorf was always this memorable villain that suddenly became a cloud of vapor in BotW. As you said, The Wind Waker is the only game where he's not just a boring representation of pure evil.

Ganon and Zelda in BotW remind me a lot of Sin and Yuna in FFX, to be honest.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

StuTwo

@Ralizah Yeah personally I'd say the most memorable "big bad" villains in Zelda have been Skull kid/Majora's Mask and Vaati (in the Minish Cap).

Vaati in particular was a great character in my opinion.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Ralizah

@Chandlero It really is, but geez, I'd forgotten how busy the default HUD was!

@StuTwo I really need to play Minish Cap. At this point, I'm hoping Nintendo will re-release GBA games on Switch VC. It's kind of baffling that they haven't already.

Edited on by Ralizah

canucksfan989

Really getting into this game with the help of a guide and some videos for help i don't have the same patience to figure most of the stuff out but loving the combat. Just went into this Labyrinth and underneath it with all this guardians only found one moving one took it down and then slowly worked my way around the room using cover to get to the stationary ones. I think i still need a better shield to block them just using Knight Shields from amiibos but they break after one blast but i got the Diamond Circlet and Chest Piece from the Lab for Guardian resistance. Did my first Divine Beast near Zora's Domain it was pretty quick but the scale just was simply amazing super excited to finish this game and 100 percent it even got the dlc which i didn't think i would because a week ago i was thinking about selling it after finishing the main game.

canucksfan989

LzWinky

shadow-wolf wrote:

@TheLZdragon @Snaplocket @Meowpheel It's true that the Zelda and Ganondorf in TP had the least activity in the plot. But that doesn't mean they existed just because. I'm replaying the HD version on Wii U now and from what I've seen, Ganondorf is the guy behind the scenes who gives Zant his power to overthrow the real ruler (Midna) in a coup d'etat and asks Zant to take over Hyrule. His role allowed for the huge twist in the game that Zant, the super creepy and seemingly powerful guy, is actually just a weakling who needed help from someone to overthrow the real ruler and cause chaos in the process. Once Zant was defeated he showed up and took on the effort himself. While his efforts didn't seem too much with a particular motive, I think it's mostly vengeance and revenge at the kingdom who almost killed him and banished him to another world.

Zelda so far from what I've played hasn't done much beyond saving Midna. But my memories of my first playthorough 8 years ago is a bit hazy.

The problem is that the plot would not have changed if Ganondorf was taken out. Zant could have easily been a stand-alone villain. Ganondorf existed to be that plot twist that amounts to nothing.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

Ralizah wrote:

@StuTwo Yeah, I don't get why people are acting like Ganondorf was always this memorable villain that suddenly became a cloud of vapor in BotW. As you said, The Wind Waker is the only game where he's not just a boring representation of pure evil.

Ganon and Zelda in BotW remind me a lot of Sin and Yuna in FFX, to be honest.

Honestly, the only interpretation of Ganondorf I really like is Hyrule Warriors. Not only does he actually play a significant role, you get to play as him and build up your evil army used to conquer Hyrule.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Octane

@Snaplocket It's not ''obvious''. Just because he doesn't appear within the first 30 minutes of the game, doesn't mean he was never planned to be in the game from the start. The ''Oh guess who's really behind everything?'' trope is way older than Twilight Princess, and Nintendo has used it before.

Ganon was the reason Zant had powers to begin with. And his existence also meant the destruction of the Mirror of Twilight. He's certainly not a last-minute addition.

Plus, Twilight Princess is a game that more similar to Ocarina of Time than any other Zelda game, so it's not a stretch at all to think that Ganon would appear in TP at some point. The game directly follows up on the events in Ocarina of Time when Link gets send back in time, and warns everyone about Ganon. Ganon gets captured and is sentenced to death by the sages, as seen in Twilight Princess.

Octane

Ralizah

@TheLZdragon That's pretty awesome, actually. I keep waffling on whether to get that game or not.

Eel

I love how the story of Hyrule Warriors is basically Ganondorf using a crazy fangirl as a weapon.

And it worked way too well.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Agriculture

I just beat the final Trial of the sword. I was so nervous when walking up the stairs. Imagine beating everything and then falling of the edge of the stairs

Agriculture

Fastballer

@Jhena Ohh man i really mess up that post. I fixed it now. Thank you for your reply. Reading your post im still not sure I would like it but I have decided to buy and see for myself just like you said. Im just gonna complete Mario Odyssey.

Fastballer

Dezzy

Meowpheel wrote:

I love how the story of Hyrule Warriors is basically Ganondorf using a crazy fangirl as a weapon.

You just have to ask them to tense their body and they make quite good spears.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

blaisedinsd

Finally got all 120 shrines on my Wii U game save I been playing since launch. I think I have 200 Korok seeds.

I did get a switch in July and beat master mode on that version.

I think I am going to keep playing on Wii U and upgrade more armor, get some more Korok seeds. All ready for DLC pack 2.

I hope it comes out December 1st.

SW-7087-5868-6390

Eel

Dezzy wrote:

Meowpheel wrote:

You just have to ask them to tense their body and they make quite good spears.

Cia does indeed have some pointy bits.

Her hat and mask, obviously.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic