Forums

Topic: Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town

Posts 121 to 130 of 130

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon yeah I think the devs got a little lost in the minutiae. Like, I can see someone going “since we have the leveling system tied to skills what if someone wants to just ranch but not grow crops?”

I feel like they were trying to use the makers as rewards/incentive for leveling up certain skills but forgot about gamers that do everything and how that would be tedious to them. I still have less than 20 makers up with only 3 sets of duplicates. But I could see someone wanting to process everything at a time having many times that. I think if they add in some combo machines and decrease the cost of the giant makers that will clean up the issue. As makers aren’t new to the series, they just went overboard.

I was surprised that I cared about the gendered stuff, but as a woman that detests the fact that devs, especially Japanese ones, depict women as bow-kneed and pigeon-toed (there are pigeon-toed walking women and men but there is usually an explanation behind that) without understanding that would be very painful to walk like that and while the shape of the female pelvis and lack of any dangling bits does shape a bit how we walk, sit and stand...a lot of what is deemed “feminine” (I hate that word as I feel it has lost its true meaning. Anything a female does is feminine. By nature of being female. I tend to get in trouble because I don’t prescribe to the butch/femme nonsense.) is actually learned behavior.

A girl doesn’t come out of the womb with catwalk movements or sitting with her legs crossed or pressed tightly together. We learn that and mimic other women around us. My gait is slightly shortened with my weight slightly towards the balls of my feet and parallel after years (decades? checks Yep decades...Uh oh, getting old) of martial arts reteaching me how to walk (it allows for quick, precise reaction rather than me committing to a movement if I am startled or need to move quickly). I can’t even walk in heels above an inch now. Anyway, I am glad I don’t have to have the pigentoed walk for my character. Same-sex marriage is always a game changer for me. I used to play Bokumono celibate and I have not had to the past few games (only reason I bought stardew initially...) which is vindication for my 12 year old self. I’m just happy to see these changes in my lifetime and considering that as a Japanese company they aren’t as inclined to acknowledge other ethnic groups (including Japan’s own Ainu and Haifu population) so while many westerners may see this as too little I view it the same way I view white people in western games. Devs made games that looked like them and since careers are not evenly distributed I grew up playing games full of people that look nothing like me.

Anyway I think at this point most of the reactions were a bit overblown (except those load times. Someone in QA should have said something. ) and I just bought the season pass. Already looking forward to the new areas. Sorry for the text wall. I tend to digress.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

Um does anyone know if you can re dig the bucket holes? I accidentally filled mine in by leaving the suction pumps placed after I drained them. Not the lakes but the bigger holes.

Although technically that is a cool bit of terraforming.

Edit: Nevermind, new ones form if there is space available.

Edit the sequel: Thank goodness for Nintendo Everything since they report on patches.... gonna copy paste and post the link.

https://nintendoeverything.com/story-of-seasons-pioneers-of-o...

Patch 1.0.4 is live:

・Shortens loading times in general
・Fixes an animation when making a “Special Prayer” at the shrine
・Fixes an issue where save data could become corrupted after animals are born
・Fixes an issue where the game could freeze after the child adoption event
・Fixes an issue that created infinite items under certain conditions
・Adds a language settings menu under “Options” in the game’s title screen
・Other minor bug fixes

Patch 1.0.5 is on the way:

・Adjusts some of the residents’ existing dialogue and adds new dialogue
・Changes the functionality of all makers
・Improves visuals during eating scenes
・Adds the ability to lock movement in a straight line
・Adjusts cooking times
・Removes the need to press the A Button when moving from indoors to outdoors

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

HarvestGoddess

The new updates made my farm run a lot smoother. Things still pop in weirdly, but everything is much better. It's not quite a Mineral Town level of smooth gameplay, but its almost there. Even the hairstylist and outfit customization is no longer as drowned in lag.

HarvestGoddess

Ryu_Niiyama

Yeah the new update puts the game to nearly buttery smooth for me. At over 100 hours in, I think this is my Bokumono to play. I am moving my barns and coops to the second area (the look on the animal’s faces is kinda funny) and just turning the first into farm land and a place for my stable (which I have not unlocked). Got all my tools to gold.

Focused on upping my crop values and maxing or at least getting my skills to level 9 for the skill secret area unlocks. Now that I have access to Petalwind I can get my trees up to level 10 more quickly.

I love this game. Have I mentioned I love this game? Firmly an 8/8.5 now in my book. Bring on the DLC!

Edit: There is a friggin BEAR trying to steal my honey!!!

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

The more I play this, the more I like it. I still wish I could work with fewer Makers and that they had build queues (I know, coming in 1.0.5) but I've learned to organize them so they work for me, and I don't mind them so much.

Meanwhile, everything else is just humming along. Getting to the end of Autumn, year one, starting to get my tools upgraded to gold and about to expand the barn, and having a womderful time.

The story is still nothing to rave about, but the characters are getting more interesting and likeable, and I'm becoming more and more invested in Olive Town.

I bought the expansion pass, so I'm officially all in.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Anti-Matter

@JasmineDragon
I want to ask.
Are Makers really important to be built ?
I heard some issues by putting too many makers.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

JasmineDragon

@Anti-Matter You absolutely have to build some makers. They're the only way to get most of the products you need, and some products need two or three makers. But I have about twenty of them working at this point and haven't seen any performance issues yet.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon This is such a weird game for me. It’s like comfort food. All in all it doesn’t do anything new to bokumono (even with all the folks that mistakenly think this is a stardew rip off) barring maybe the photo mode and all the free animals. However it checks all the boxes and is addictive (I’m 150 hours in) but I can’t hype it in a way that sounds exciting. That kinda bothers me since I really like this game. Ah well. Im in year 2 autumn and I am just chugging along with unlocks. I think this will be the first bokumono where i try to be a good neighbor as well. The cutscenes are interesting as many don’t revolve around the player.

My only real issue? I wanna break up Sydney’s marriage. She belongs with me I tell you! I do like Laura but would totally take a run at her mom if I could.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

@Ryu_Niiyama LMAO, my actual number one complaint about Olive Town is that I would rather romance just about all of the older women instead of their kids. (Keep in mind that I'm 51, please!)

Like, Sydney is totally my number one, but Manuela, Patricia, Karina and Misaki are also high on my list. Wait, that's basically ALL the women of that age. Well, I stand by it! I would totally double-dip for a Pioneers of Olive Town Silver Fox Edition. I'm sorry, but at my age I feel like a cradle snatcher going after these fresh-faced teenagers.

I really get your feelings about the game overall. I feel about the same way. I'm having a ball playing it, it's so satisfying, but at the same time I can't defend it at all against those comments about outsourced rush jobs because it doesn't really do anything new and it is CLEARLY an outsourced rush job. Stardew IS better overall. FOMT, too.

All I can say is I don't play these games expecting a revolutionary new take on gaming, or even the most polished product out there. I came to relax and have a pleasant time living out a cozy country fantasy - and Olive Town delivers.

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon Videogames always bother me with that. Most devs are in their 30s or usually older but they act like everyone is 15-20 unless it is the western grizzled middle aged white guy protag trope. I’m so glad games are becoming slowly more diverse but it is still slow. I’m 35 so I don’t wanna romance a 20 something either.

Anyway there is a pink bunny in this game. This is nuts. I will say I like what the devs were trying to do with the leveling system as it really does reward the tedium of the daily grind but it just fell flat for people with way more free time than me. (I’m also unusual in that I don’t think patched olive town is worse than either stardew or FoMT but it’s not better either. Like from a weighted perspective.)

Leveling up Matsutake mushrooms is stressing me out.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic