Forums

Topic: Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town

Posts 121 to 140 of 172

HarvestGoddess

The new updates made my farm run a lot smoother. Things still pop in weirdly, but everything is much better. It's not quite a Mineral Town level of smooth gameplay, but its almost there. Even the hairstylist and outfit customization is no longer as drowned in lag.

HarvestGoddess

Ryu_Niiyama

Yeah the new update puts the game to nearly buttery smooth for me. At over 100 hours in, I think this is my Bokumono to play. I am moving my barns and coops to the second area (the look on the animal’s faces is kinda funny) and just turning the first into farm land and a place for my stable (which I have not unlocked). Got all my tools to gold.

Focused on upping my crop values and maxing or at least getting my skills to level 9 for the skill secret area unlocks. Now that I have access to Petalwind I can get my trees up to level 10 more quickly.

I love this game. Have I mentioned I love this game? Firmly an 8/8.5 now in my book. Bring on the DLC!

Edit: There is a friggin BEAR trying to steal my honey!!!

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JasmineDragon

The more I play this, the more I like it. I still wish I could work with fewer Makers and that they had build queues (I know, coming in 1.0.5) but I've learned to organize them so they work for me, and I don't mind them so much.

Meanwhile, everything else is just humming along. Getting to the end of Autumn, year one, starting to get my tools upgraded to gold and about to expand the barn, and having a womderful time.

The story is still nothing to rave about, but the characters are getting more interesting and likeable, and I'm becoming more and more invested in Olive Town.

I bought the expansion pass, so I'm officially all in.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Anti-Matter

@JasmineDragon
I want to ask.
Are Makers really important to be built ?
I heard some issues by putting too many makers.

Anti-Matter

JasmineDragon

@Anti-Matter You absolutely have to build some makers. They're the only way to get most of the products you need, and some products need two or three makers. But I have about twenty of them working at this point and haven't seen any performance issues yet.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon This is such a weird game for me. It’s like comfort food. All in all it doesn’t do anything new to bokumono (even with all the folks that mistakenly think this is a stardew rip off) barring maybe the photo mode and all the free animals. However it checks all the boxes and is addictive (I’m 150 hours in) but I can’t hype it in a way that sounds exciting. That kinda bothers me since I really like this game. Ah well. Im in year 2 autumn and I am just chugging along with unlocks. I think this will be the first bokumono where i try to be a good neighbor as well. The cutscenes are interesting as many don’t revolve around the player.

My only real issue? I wanna break up Sydney’s marriage. She belongs with me I tell you! I do like Laura but would totally take a run at her mom if I could.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

@Ryu_Niiyama LMAO, my actual number one complaint about Olive Town is that I would rather romance just about all of the older women instead of their kids. (Keep in mind that I'm 51, please!)

Like, Sydney is totally my number one, but Manuela, Patricia, Karina and Misaki are also high on my list. Wait, that's basically ALL the women of that age. Well, I stand by it! I would totally double-dip for a Pioneers of Olive Town Silver Fox Edition. I'm sorry, but at my age I feel like a cradle snatcher going after these fresh-faced teenagers.

I really get your feelings about the game overall. I feel about the same way. I'm having a ball playing it, it's so satisfying, but at the same time I can't defend it at all against those comments about outsourced rush jobs because it doesn't really do anything new and it is CLEARLY an outsourced rush job. Stardew IS better overall. FOMT, too.

All I can say is I don't play these games expecting a revolutionary new take on gaming, or even the most polished product out there. I came to relax and have a pleasant time living out a cozy country fantasy - and Olive Town delivers.

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon Videogames always bother me with that. Most devs are in their 30s or usually older but they act like everyone is 15-20 unless it is the western grizzled middle aged white guy protag trope. I’m so glad games are becoming slowly more diverse but it is still slow. I’m 35 so I don’t wanna romance a 20 something either.

Anyway there is a pink bunny in this game. This is nuts. I will say I like what the devs were trying to do with the leveling system as it really does reward the tedium of the daily grind but it just fell flat for people with way more free time than me. (I’m also unusual in that I don’t think patched olive town is worse than either stardew or FoMT but it’s not better either. Like from a weighted perspective.)

Leveling up Matsutake mushrooms is stressing me out.

Protip: you can put makers in the gardens. I have jammed my winter one full of makers I don’t use often.

Edit: I am not as excited about the new patch as I have a good rhythm going now but I will try it later. Now that I discovered that you can get a lot of the giant makers from lovett, my biggest complaint (the price) is mostly gone. I suppose at this point I only have nitpicks like the food model when eating. This has become one of my favorite bokumono games after the first patch.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

Not a true double post.

New patch inbound for west/live in Japan!

https://nintendoeverything.com/story-of-seasons-pioneers-of-o...

Patch notes:

-Adjusts some of the residents’ existing dialogue and adds new dialogue

-Our team is now working on writing new dialogue so that players can enjoy getting to know the residents of Olive Town even more than before.

-Changes the functionality of all makers

-In an effort to improve the functionality of makers, they will be changed so that each maker is able to create multiple items.

-All makers can now be set to create the same item in succession (up to 10 times)

-You can now take item as soon as they have been made, and you can now add the same materials to the makers while the making process is ongoing

-Improves visuals during eating scenes

-Adds the ability to lock movement in a straight line

-Holding down the L or R button and moving using the L stick will now allow you to move in only four directions.

-Adjusts cooking times

-Removes the need to press the A Button when moving from indoors to outdoors

-The friendship level is now displayed on the screen when talking to a potential love interest

-Changes the effect of giving a gift/confessing/proposing multiple times in a single day

-Further reduces stuttering

Personally I am most excited about the eating animation change (no joke). The maker update is very nice though. Actually on second thought the makers might be game breaking as you would just need a giant for each one after a point. Since you can stack the items.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Cynas

Maybe it's finally time to try this game out. I got it at launch but have been holding back on playing it until the bigger patches have been released. This seems to cover most of the issues people had with the game, based on the notes at least.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

tzahn

I'm really enjoying this game and am excited for this update to alleviate some of the issues. One thing I wish they'd address is the lack of orichalcum deposits. This is especially annoying considering the amount of ingots needed for some of the upgrades.

Love anything Zelda. Most other Ninty franchises too! Purposely vague...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7039-2998 | Nintendo Network ID: tzahn88

Ryu_Niiyama

@tzahn what level is your mining? Almost all the skills get a dedicated farming/resource location once you hit lv 9. Stonebreaker Valley has at least 3 orichalcum nodes per area respawn.

@Cynas IMO the worst of the issues were ironed out in the first patch that the west got super early. The gameplay loop is solid and the game is deceptively large.

You get areas devoted to your skills once you hit level 9 plus minigame areas and a second shop (uses different currency) as well as a shrine to increase stats. Plus the town and your farm has 3 sections with its own flora and fauna. This is before the DLC.

Personally, while I feel the framerate was bad initially (it’s not perfect but they really punched it up) I think a lot of the other complaints were overblown. Granted Japanese players took one for the team.

You may want to wait until the new patch drops as the makers may annoy some people otherwise.

General post: once I started unlocking the season locked areas the game blew wide open for me. I tend to leave my areas to nature in part because I am not good at landscape design but also to keep my resources at a high level. That being said I now have been able to get my tree situation on lock. I made some adjustments but my golden fruit bearing trees make up the majority with one or two of other trees (plus the ones on my actual farm) so I am raking in cash.

Just got the largest house and I was on a project to get all of my produce to level 10 and get my fridge set up so that I can make almost any recipe without having to leave. If they let you put storage inside so that I could have a fish chest I would be set. My current set up is nice though.

Just got Laura to be my girlfriend as well. I’m really liking her as a person. I love how she is career focused but close to her family. Woman after my own heart. First game where I am trying to get all the villagers to like me.

All tools except the hoe are upgraded. Still working on fishing skill but I like fishing now. (Usually hate it) Might be time for River King to come back.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

tzahn

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm maxed out for mining. The respawns in Stonebreaker Valley are nice, but it's still slow. I wish there was a final mine that had more orichalcum nodes, or even if they'd spawn in the third mine before level 40. Maybe after level 20. It's not a deal breaker, just something that seems more limiting than the other high level resources which I have plenty of.

Love anything Zelda. Most other Ninty franchises too! Purposely vague...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7039-2998 | Nintendo Network ID: tzahn88

Ryu_Niiyama

@tzahn hmm I never noticed a slow down in ore. But I did have a weird period where I was getting like 2 or 3 nodes per mining trip for a while. Mirage logs are the hard to get for me. Granted I have plenty now. But it was hard for a bit.

Anybody doing the mystery files dlc yet?

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

I set this aside for a while knowing that the big patch was incoming. Is it live now? And if it is, does it break older saves or can I just keep going? I worried about the maker update not working with an existing array of makers.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon live in JPN version only. No clue about EU. Not live in NA yet. I put inbound in my post but I will edit to clarify.

From what I have seen you just keep going. Nobody has started over.

Preload for the next DLC batch is up.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

Jeez I feel like I am the only one in this thread sometimes.

1.0.5 western release date is June 26th. Also details of patch 1.0.6.

https://nintendoeverything.com/story-of-seasons-pioneers-of-o...

1.0.6 patch notes

-Makes it easier to see who is running the event at festivals.

-Adds an event for when the player participates in the Egg Festival by themself.

-Add the ability to change your child/your animals’ names.

-The option to change your child/your animals’ names has been added to available blessings at the shrine.

-Improves visuals when completing town requests.

-Improves visuals when upgrading tools.

-Improves character behavior when talking to villagers who are eating, fishing, etc.

-Implements a new message when returning home at 2AM.

-Fixes an issue where the game could freeze after the child adoption event when several events occur in succession.

-Fixes an issue where the load screen could freeze when leaving a coop.

-Fixes an issue where the game could freeze during the Mushroom Hunt when picking up a mushroom after changing the camera distance in a certain area.

-Fixes an issue where the game could freeze when the player interacts with an animal immediately before it returns to its coop or barn.

-Fixes an issue where the game could freeze when starting the game with no controller connected.

-Fixes an issue where pressing the A button repeatedly while moving in front of an unrepaired farm facility could cause actions that use the A button, such as picking up items, to not work.

Other minor bug fixes

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm still playing on and off, but my life has been busier than usual and I keep getting sucked into things like Sakuna, which a certain somebody kept touting as her GOTY for 2020...

Very excited to hear the big patch is inbound, though. I will definitely check it out as soon as it downloads.

Anti-Matter

@JasmineDragon
Looking at more patches for Pioneer of Olive Town, i was nervous to consider this game. Looks like a half baked game with a lot of issues.
Moreover, Friends of Mineral Town 3D remake on Switch will get PS4 version on this year.
When Friends of Mineral Town got PS4 release, i assumed Pioneer of Olive Town probably will get PS4 version release too and if it does, i really hope the PS4 version already got some fixes and patches in disc.

Anti-Matter

k8sMum

I'm very underwhelmed by the additional villages. I have waited to marry Raeger but the areas feel like an afterthought, unfinished. I think all you can do is fish. It's disappointing, imho.

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic