Forums

Topic: Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town

Posts 101 to 120 of 172

Ryu_Niiyama

@rallydefault I don’t really understand the complaint to be honest. Aside from the romance candidates, NPCs have never had a massive dialogue tree. Even in games like AWL it was pretty easy to cycle through everything that could be said.

I get that people want to max out hearts with everyone (well actually I don’t get it but it is obvious people do that) but it isn’t like you don’t hit this same wall in other games. To side step bokumono for a sec, you have this in standard RPGs. Many devs try real hard to seed a dialogue tree but they all have a finite limit. (Heck real people have a limit...that’s why most people engage in small talk/chitchat/gossip)

For a modern game olive town is small so you hit that limit sooner but it’s a podunk town in BFE. What kinds of conversations are folks expecting?

I’m not knocking it, but if a survey was sent out what types of dialogue suggestions would people make? How would it be more than a permutation of current status, some trivia about their life that most humans wouldn’t share IRL and flat, generic romantic dialogue?

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Eel

That reminds me of Magical Melody and its great characters.

First greeting of the day: "My parents died when I was young."
Every dialogue after that: "Bye🎶"

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

tux_peng

Animal Crossing has better dialog

It would be nice if Blair would get mad at me for going in her room before 7am

tux_peng

3DS Friend Code: 1349-5347-2670 | Nintendo Network ID: Tux-peng | Twitter:

rallydefault

@Ryu_Niiyama
Well, take a game like Stardew Valley. Most of the NPCs in that game, even aside from marriage candidates, have really cool dialogue progressions and cut scenes.

I don't know. I'm sorry you don't get it, but the social interactions in these games even back to the earliest Harvest Moons have always captured my attention. There have been some really awesome characters from various games throughout the years. By your own addmision you're not a social farmer, so maybe you haven't seen a lot of the better stuff.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Ryu_Niiyama

@rallydefault is your issue with the dialogue due to a comparison with stardew valley or are you basing it on other bokumono games? After all olive town has cut scene dialogue. That isn’t the same as the everyday dialogue trees that I am seeing people complain about. And while nothin occurs in a vacuum, Japanese devs usually try to create in a vacuum as much as possible unless it is a Japanese influence. (That’s why the “cribbing” from stardew comments are funny because olive town is cribbing from older bokumono games. Not stardew.)

I’m not a social farmer, but I have played nearly every bokumono game and some contact is unavoidable. I’ve not seen too many examples of robust dialogue trees for basic NPCs beyond them loving to kill off old ladies. Not saying they aren’t there but what in series examples are there that aren’t romances? And is this cutscene dialogue or in game dialogue?

@Eel Exactly.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

Well, I thought I was going to be able to weigh in on this tonight, but apparently Amazon saw fit to hand my package to a random person outside my workplace instead of actually delivering it. So no, I'm not weighing in tonight, and unfortunately I'm pretty sure that was one of the last deluxe editions available. I hope someone is happy with my game and plushie.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon your profile doesn’t have your country but the SE is in stock on amazon.com contact their support.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

JasmineDragon

@Ryu_Niiyama Thanks, I've started the process but they won't actually do anything about it until the end of the next business day as they say sometimes the delivery status gets updated prematurely. It kind of boggles my mind that my status could say "handed to a resident" prematurely, but okay, Amazon, I'll play along.

Edited on by JasmineDragon

Artonide

Finally got my pre order copy today.

SW-4796-1687-6967
Play mostly everything. 😊

JasmineDragon

@Ryu_Niiyama Update: I went to the shop next door to us, on the off chance that Amazon delivered it there by mistake, and guess what? They did. And the business owner said she called Amazon to report the mistake, and was told to "just throw it out". Lucky I went over there, I think by the end of the day there would have been nothing to retrieve.

JasmineDragon

@Eel I wouldn't be mad if that happened - I would give one copy to my eldest spawn, who is an even bigger fan of the series than I am.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon
I'm glad it worked out. Isn't the plushie cute?

On Topic:

OK in the interest of not double posting.

Now that I have had some time with the game, (halfway through year 1 autumn) I think I can weigh in a little better.

First off at least with the patch that westerners got day 1, I feel that the game is in decent condition. Mainly due to the fact that there is some slowdown, but honestly there is a lot going on, on screen so I’m not as bothered by it as I was initially. The land seems to function as a grid with a some sort of calculation for nature regrowth and harvesting spawns as well as Earth sprite spawns. So that plus the amount of stuff the player can put down means there is a lot of smoking under the hood. That being said load times are short and I have very minimal slowdown on my farm. I don’t have a ton of makers up because I like harvesting the land, but I have about 15 plus all the trees so far, several boxes and nets, the deluxe coop and barn and a water pump going at all times (I only have 3 sprinklers). So, I don’t feel hampered considering all of that.

The game isn’t bringing anything new to the series, but it feels like save the homeland and story of seasons 3ds were tossed in a blender. The world is robust with lots to do on the farm and I love the diversity of the 3 areas (and all the unlockable areas and this is BEFORE the season pass stuff gets added in later). Plus, I love that your farming/mining gameplay is confined to one hub rather than you having to go to a new area. As such its easy for me to get a good loop going and since I don’t have a million makers I keep a steady supply of materials and goods. I do feel there are a few too many types of makers but I do like the diversity as well. I just wish the thread and yarn and textile makers could be merged. I LOVE the earth sprite mechanic. For one it makes the gameplay loop rewarding for more than just money and I like that the separate economy means you can get access to better produce/materials early if you so choose. I just bought a level 10 grape seedling that I’m sitting on until I unlock the Autumn region.
The quests give me that feeling that my time is valued as all this time spent producing materials actually goes somewhere and it is nice to see the town change as the game progresses. I’m fine with the festivals and dialogue, but I do understand that is a drawback for some. Festivals were never a highlight for me and I’m grateful for the cutscene versions. I do like the minigame festivals this time around though, which is rare for me. Relationships are easy to earn but it is nice that you get updated information on resident profiles as you talk to them more. I’ve got my potential marriage candidate maxed already (Laura) but I’ve not moved further as I want to wait until the DLC is out. There is a decent amount of diversity in personalities and it is nice to see more melanin residents so my character isn’t the odd one out. To that note, they are getting better with skin tones…still missing a few shades but improvements are happening.

I love the amount of crop and animal types (not animal parade level but still good) and the animals are all very cute and their personality seems to impact how they generate happiness. I do wish I didn’t have to breed my chickens but it’s a minor complaint. My only real issue is the farming buildings are all separate rather than upgrades. So I have two barns sitting in a box somewhere (box of holding apparently) after I upgraded.

All in all, there is a lot to do, many quests and rewards for in game goals, an evolving town, lots of animals and two economies. With all the new lands you have many ways to customize your farming and they made a lot of the tedium go away in many areas (tool bag, no need for brush/shears/milker, tools only need material upgrades, access to most materials after you ship one) while having a farm that reinforces the gameplay loop. For me it’s a 7.5/10. If they clean up the lag and zap the loading a bit more I would say its an 8.
Edit: After the latest patch it is a solid 8 for me. I have not wanted to play anything else except Sakuna.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

rallydefault

@Ryu_Niiyama
Sorry for the delay. I'm not sure I totally understand your question. I would say... both? If you mean just regular walk-up dialogue and then special cut scenes. Stardew Valley is by far the best game (at least in my recent memory) when it comes to both of those things. I've played most Harvest Moons and a smattering of Story of Seasons games, not nearly as many as you and some other people in this thread, though.

Like, I love Friends of Mineral Town but the regular dialogue in that game is extremely limited. Like, depressingly limited.

rallydefault

Ryu_Niiyama

Beginner’s tips:

-Prioritize upgrading the axe and hammer first. You will need them. (At least to gold.)

-Try to open all of the farm areas asap as they hold a wealth of materials.

-Sprite Village is a great way to get items out of season and materials. Also 10 star seeds. The store rotates daily.

-Unlock all the sprites asap. They give you lots of free stuff.

-Save some produce for cooking.

-Ship one of everything as materials, produce, seeds and flowers get added to the store line up.

-Leave room for your orchard. There are a number of trees.

-Upgrade your barn asap. By autumn you will be out of room with just free animals.

-Goat milk makes multiple butter batches. Buffalo milk is cheese in multi batches and silkie eggs are multi mayo batches.

-There are season locked lands so you may wanna plan for that.

-hoard the more rare resources until you max out their associated skill so you have access to a giant maker.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@rallydefault In general when dealing with series it’s best to compare in series rather than by genre. Otherwise there will always be some level of disappointment. Now that I know you are looking at olive town and trying to see why it isn’t 3d starview, your complaint makes more sense. Note I am not invalidating your complaint but context is key.

At this point the best I can tell you is that at least for the Japanese version they got similar complaints (I am willing to bet from the same viewpoint you have as stardew released over there much later so it is still new hotness and the continued support makes it look even more so) so some overhaul is coming.

Not sure if it will pan out how you want, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you. For me under the hood this is a solid entry, but it has some technical flaws and the fact that it is in someways a retread of a new beginning and save the homeland that it doesn’t feel “new”. That isn’t a bad thing though as at this point in the series I just want them to put the best features in and allow same sex marriage. For now Olive Town does a really good job of that criteria. Not a great job, but a really good one.

Honestly, Sakuna was my surprise wake up in the farming genre. I rarely get games where I feel like the devs almost made a game for me but this one hit the spot. I’m currently grinding now because I don’t want the ride to end.

Happy Farming!

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

rallydefault

@Ryu_Niiyama
I've heard that Olive Town is way better than One World, so there is that. I don't know if I'll end up getting it yet. Maybe when a sale comes along. I still have to truly see all the new stuff in the Stardew patch, and I'm trying to get everything in my second playthrough of Mineral Town.

rallydefault

JasmineDragon

@Ryu_Niiyama The buffalo is most adorable!

About 15 hours in, my thoughts are a lot like yours. I'm having a very good time so far. The diversity of the cast (both NPCs and PC creation) is a huge plus. I LOVE that the PC's gender is not a factor in their appearance or their potential relationships. This is a huge deal for me.

I'm liking the crafting tree so far, but I definitely agree with the consensus that there are too many makers. There has to be a better way to do this stuff. In reality, plenty of homesteaders and small farmers do a lot of these things without magical machines that take up lots of valuable space, so there was no reason to make them as big as they are, or have so many different ones.

I like the variety of animals, crops and foraging, and I truly appreciate that your mines and foraging grounds are right there. I often felt like I spent half my time in Stardew Valley trotting from one side of town to the other to beat the clock, and while this might be realistic it wasn't much fun as a gameplay mechanic.

In terms of characterization in dialogue and cutscenes, there's no denying that Stardew really excelled in these areas and Olive Town is just all right (at least so far). But I'm okay with the characters in Olive Town so far, and looking forward to getting to know then better.

I'm living my best cottagecore fantasy in Olive Town. I've even got a Maine Coon cat. Life is good.

Ryu_Niiyama

@JasmineDragon yeah I think the devs got a little lost in the minutiae. Like, I can see someone going “since we have the leveling system tied to skills what if someone wants to just ranch but not grow crops?”

I feel like they were trying to use the makers as rewards/incentive for leveling up certain skills but forgot about gamers that do everything and how that would be tedious to them. I still have less than 20 makers up with only 3 sets of duplicates. But I could see someone wanting to process everything at a time having many times that. I think if they add in some combo machines and decrease the cost of the giant makers that will clean up the issue. As makers aren’t new to the series, they just went overboard.

I was surprised that I cared about the gendered stuff, but as a woman that detests the fact that devs, especially Japanese ones, depict women as bow-kneed and pigeon-toed (there are pigeon-toed walking women and men but there is usually an explanation behind that) without understanding that would be very painful to walk like that and while the shape of the female pelvis and lack of any dangling bits does shape a bit how we walk, sit and stand...a lot of what is deemed “feminine” (I hate that word as I feel it has lost its true meaning. Anything a female does is feminine. By nature of being female. I tend to get in trouble because I don’t prescribe to the butch/femme nonsense.) is actually learned behavior.

A girl doesn’t come out of the womb with catwalk movements or sitting with her legs crossed or pressed tightly together. We learn that and mimic other women around us. My gait is slightly shortened with my weight slightly towards the balls of my feet and parallel after years (decades? checks Yep decades...Uh oh, getting old) of martial arts reteaching me how to walk (it allows for quick, precise reaction rather than me committing to a movement if I am startled or need to move quickly). I can’t even walk in heels above an inch now. Anyway, I am glad I don’t have to have the pigentoed walk for my character. Same-sex marriage is always a game changer for me. I used to play Bokumono celibate and I have not had to the past few games (only reason I bought stardew initially...) which is vindication for my 12 year old self. I’m just happy to see these changes in my lifetime and considering that as a Japanese company they aren’t as inclined to acknowledge other ethnic groups (including Japan’s own Ainu and Haifu population) so while many westerners may see this as too little I view it the same way I view white people in western games. Devs made games that looked like them and since careers are not evenly distributed I grew up playing games full of people that look nothing like me.

Anyway I think at this point most of the reactions were a bit overblown (except those load times. Someone in QA should have said something. ) and I just bought the season pass. Already looking forward to the new areas. Sorry for the text wall. I tend to digress.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

Um does anyone know if you can re dig the bucket holes? I accidentally filled mine in by leaving the suction pumps placed after I drained them. Not the lakes but the bigger holes.

Although technically that is a cool bit of terraforming.

Edit: Nevermind, new ones form if there is space available.

Edit the sequel: Thank goodness for Nintendo Everything since they report on patches.... gonna copy paste and post the link.

https://nintendoeverything.com/story-of-seasons-pioneers-of-o...

Patch 1.0.4 is live:

・Shortens loading times in general
・Fixes an animation when making a “Special Prayer” at the shrine
・Fixes an issue where save data could become corrupted after animals are born
・Fixes an issue where the game could freeze after the child adoption event
・Fixes an issue that created infinite items under certain conditions
・Adds a language settings menu under “Options” in the game’s title screen
・Other minor bug fixes

Patch 1.0.5 is on the way:

・Adjusts some of the residents’ existing dialogue and adds new dialogue
・Changes the functionality of all makers
・Improves visuals during eating scenes
・Adds the ability to lock movement in a straight line
・Adjusts cooking times
・Removes the need to press the A Button when moving from indoors to outdoors

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic