Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 641 to 660 of 942

JaxonH

@spiderman0616
Idk if it's an improvement so much as an option to make it viable in handheld mode. I prefer motion but it works with sticks. It makes the game playable which is a pretty big feat.

Also recommend Monster Hunter Stories 2. Excellent

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

spiderman0616

JaxonH wrote:

@spiderman0616
Idk if it's an improvement so much as an option to make it viable in handheld mode. I prefer motion but it works with sticks. It makes the game playable which is a pretty big feat.

Also recommend Monster Hunter Stories 2. Excellent

Thanks for the recommendation! Might have to load that one up today--I keep seeing it in the store and almost buying it, and I REALLY liked Rise a lot too.

As far as the Zelda controls--I find them serviceable enough in button mode to make the game playable. It's just such a weird configuration. It has not taken away my enjoyment of the game though--I really like the more Tomb Raider style of progression where you move the story forward, eventually get directed to the next area, find the dungeon, solve the dungeon. Kind of reminds me of Link's Awakening in that regard, except it's not a 15 hour long fetch quest like that game is. Loving all the side quests and day/night mechanics too. So glad they re-released this one.

spiderman0616

blaisedinsd

@skywake I’ve been playing over the weekend button controls only. Wiimote used to be down on the dpad to recenter. I guess I used this too because I find it easier and yes freeing to just calibrate with the button and not need to point at the television but just aim relatively from wherever I was pointing when I calibrated.

I am enjoying the button controls. I don’t know if I prefer them but since I’ve never played with them before I’m using them for this play through. Spin slashes and finishing blows are slightly more difficult to pull off but for me this makes it more rewarding like pulling off a houdiken in street fighter as opposed to just pressing a punch button.

I disagree holding L to swing the sword would be better, I don’t understand how you can use the camera more than your sword. You use your sword all the time and have to pull off maneuvers with it, adding an extra button to hold would be terrible. Plus if you wished the camera was a toggle it already is, the first person camera is a toggle like it was originally.

More options are always nice but I have been enjoying the button controls as much as I enjoyed the motion one on Wii.

Edited on by blaisedinsd

SW-7087-5868-6390

Matt_Barber

I'd think that the motion controls are somewhat improved over the original, but it's not a game I had a lot of problems with back in the day.

The button controls are mostly there for handheld play, but also for the people who find motion controls intolerable generally. I don't think they're meant to be an improvement though, just an alternative.

Matt_Barber

Zeldafan79

Am I crazy or did I find a new minigame in the eldin volcano area? There's this digging game called thrill digger run by a mole dude called Tubert early on the way up the mountain. I swear I don't remember seeing this in the original.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Zeldafan79

@Eel
Oh okay. It's been a while I guess. I did figure out something I never knew before. Did you know when you charge your sword by holding it up then do a stab you'll shoot a beam out like when link has full hearts in the original and Link to the past?

Edited on by Zeldafan79

Eel

That one yes, mostly because I saw it on a video last week. It’s been a while since I played though. I’m sure there’s a lot of stuff I’ve forgotten.

I remember last time I attempted to play on the wii I had to quite because the boss battle with the thing that looks like a lava spider just simply frustrated me. So that’s my latest memory of the game…

Can’t wait to give it another go once I receive my preorder though.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zeldafan79

@Eel

Oh yeah that scaldera boss is rather annoying. I'm so used to playing this with motion controls and the stick flicking thing is really throwing me off. Whenever there's a large group of moblins all coming at me i can't get the spin attack working and a couple times i got killed because of it.

jedgamesguy

I still don't know how to do a Fatal Blow on the sticks. I just switch to the motion controls when I need to...

Loving it so far though, it's good to be back. Scaldera's bloody easy though.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

steveO_of_time

Can I ask how often you guys have to re calibrate the gyro? I'm enjoying the motion controls quite a bit but I've been having to hit Y for recalibration like at least once a minute and it's kinda annoying. Is it the same for you guys or is there maybe something up with my joycons?

steveO_of_time

Zeldafan79

Sounds like the motion controls haven't really improved all that much from the Wii version. Not that there was anything terribly wrong with them in the first place. The calibration was constantly going off track though. I used to tell people you're not supposed to hack away like a blind lumberjack. Swift but at the same time gentle motions is how you play it.

I'm really thinking I'll just go back to motion controls. Flicking the stick to swing your sword just doesn't feel right and it's even more finicky than swinging the remote. I kinda hated flying on the loftwing with motion. Wore out my arms. Up down, up down, up down! I wish you could mix and match. Motion for combat and buttons for flying. That would be perfect.

Oh and a certain minigame with a fat clown guy was hell with motion if you wanted that piece of heart.

JaxonH

@Zeldafan79
They have. Motion gestures better recognized. But no IR means you do have to keep it calibrated. Hardly an issue though. It's one button press. No setting Wiimote on ground for 5 seconds required.

@steveO_of_time
Ya that's about right. But it's a single button press which isn't a big deal. I automatically press Y when going into menus, pulling out my beetle or net, and try to do so before going into combat. Just make it a habit.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TeeJay

@TheJGG While locked onto a fallen enemy, press Up Down Up quickly. And yes you've got to be locked on, otherwise you'll just do a vertical spin attack.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Eric258

Just finished the game. Was my first time playing and was mostly blind. Was a great experience, loved the story, music and dungeons. Just plain awesome. Only issue was sometimes the controls but that was usually a minor issue that occurred from time to time. Just wish we could pick and combine control schemes in some aspect. But anyway, just WOW. I thought this would tame my hunger for BOTW 2 but if anything, it did the opposite lol

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

1UP_MARIO

@TheJGG when locked with ZL press down up

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

chipia

Is Hero Mode available from the start in this version?

I found the Wii original too easy, so if I replay it I want it to be more challenging.

chipia

NintendoByNature

I'm STILL waiting for my copy to arrive 😫

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic