Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Posts 621 to 640 of 942

Dezzy

Well the "Hold L for camera control" is pretty annoying. You clearly use that more than you use the sword. Should've been "Hold L for sword."

They really should've added an option to flip that.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

skywake

I take back some of the complaints on the previous page about the gyro drift without the sensor bar re-centring. It's still there but once you've put some time into it you get used to hitting Y and it's not an issue. Same deal with some of the actions I had that weren't entirely registering correctly, just needed some time to get into motion controls again.

I'm probably mostly just comparing two entirely different levels of familiarity with motion controls. When Skyward Sword originally came out it was on the back of Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2. This time I'm jumping into Skyward Sword after I think the last game I played that was motion control heavy was Skyward Sword. I think the last game I played with motion controls was Super Mario Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection. And before that Twilight Princess HD in 2016

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

I said this in the Switch thread too, but I am really, really loving this game! It’s SO good 😊

Was in the middle of my Monster Hunter Stories 2 playthrough, a game which is easily one of the best on the Switch (I like it as much as Monster Hunter Rise), but ever since Zelda Skyward Sword released I can’t seem to stop playing it. It’s just so addicting. And it’s a very special game, I’ve never played anything like it. Obviously it’s similar to other Zelda games but I mean using the motion controls in such a way as it does.

The older Zelda formula really is quite fun. This is an absolute must own. I feel like I’m drowning in masterpiece titles, and before I can even put 15 hours in a game another one comes out, and the cycle continues. Probably will happen again with Neo TWEWY.

@Dezzy
Ya, but it would be incredibly problematic to have to hold L before being able to attack with the sword, as you need to hold ZL for targeting many times. And even if that wasn’t the case, when it comes to quick reactions using the sword it would be very easy to forget to hold a button first.

I get that it’s not ideal but it really is the best possible solution. And once I got used to it it wasn’t a problem at all. No different than holding a button to run.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Zeldafan79

So after playing this again is anybody missing traditional Zelda? You know with a real story, memorable music, actual dungeons and more of them etc. I sure hope BOTW 2 addresses at least some of that.

I like how in skyward sword just getting to the next dungeon is like a dungeon itself.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

JaxonH

@Zeldafan79
Well, I’m not really “missing” it given I’m playing it right now 😁

But I get what you mean. And yes. I don’t regret the changes they’ve made to modernize the franchise in BotW, but I really do love the traditional Zelda formula. It’s unbelievable how addicting this game is.

Maybe they can continue to release smaller titles following this formula alongside their big flagship BotW series.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Buizel

Now in the Faron Woods and I kinda wanna take back what I said about the motion controls.

They are perfectly functional (and tbh, I never had any issues with the control on the Wii either). But I don't feel they really add anything to the game - if anything, they feel like a bit of a pace breaker. IDK, maybe I'm just completely over motion controls now, having not really touched them since the Wii days (except for the odd game of Arms).

I'm switching back to button controls for now. Still a shame about holding L for the camera control. As @Dezzy mentioned, I hope they patch in an option to switch L holding for the sword control.

That said, other than controls, I'm really enjoying the game so far. Really nice to see a more traditional 3D Zelda on Switch - it is a very different feeling to BotW.

At least 2'8".

Casco

I am enjoying this game but man are the controls confusing. I refuse to do motion controls (never had a Wii, was off gaming for almost 20 years) but certainly getting confused by different actions. Picking up bomb with A, swipping up or down and hold to throw or roll, then hitting ZR - is too much. It relies too much on the bumpers and triggers to do different actions when ends up being very confusing and as a result I've had bombs explode in Link's face constantly.

Casco

Tendo64

This boss in Skyview dungeon or whatever it's called is a real pain.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Zeldafan79

@Tendo64

Yeah it's a little bit tricky knowing when and at what direction to attack. shield bash when the boss charges at you rather than dodging and if timed correctly it gives you a few free shots. The boss will stagger for a few seconds giving you an opening. Then swing away!

Edited on by Zeldafan79

kkslider5552000

Zeldafan79 wrote:

memorable music

Ew, terrible take

Breath of the Wild is one of the most complete and brilliantly put together audio experiences in gaming I've ever experienced, and between its more subtle and minimalist music is some of the best and most memorable pieces of music composed in any Nintendo game in the past decade, easily. There's a difference between subjective opinions and willful ignorance, and saying BOTW doesn't have memorable music is crossing that line. (doubly so considering the songs that were made to be more catchy and how it is the most successful Zelda game, so there are more people to remember the music)

To me, Skyward Sword has some memorable songs that have that Don't Stop Believing syndrome where hearing them too much has made them kind of annoying, and this game sure does want you to visit the same places constantly. That's at least more subjective admittedly, but especially the sky theme and Faron Woods feel like good songs ruined by how frequently you hear them. It's ultimately one of the reasons why I don't like Skyward Sword's soundtrack as much as the other 3D Zeldas, despite having some excellent music in it. (controversial opinion, but the observatory in Galaxy also really has that problem, literally the only problem I have with that game's soundtrack)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jedgamesguy

Flying through the sky to the music playing in the background is one of the most special experiences in gaming. The music is just so majestic.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Tendo64

Zeldafan79 wrote:

@Tendo64

Yeah it's a little bit tricky knowing when and at what direction to attack. shield bash when the boss charges at you rather than dodging and if timed correctly it gives you a few free shots. The boss will stagger for a few seconds giving you an opening. Then swing away!

What buttons are shield bash? Been trying to work it out!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

1UP_MARIO

Untitled

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Zeldafan79

@kkslider55520

Well alot of zelda games had that problem. The dungeons in the first three had the same song playing everytime. They finally fixed that and started using unique themes since links awakening. The overworlds in the games before BOTW were all on a constant loop. I guess with BOTW not having one and just being ambient noises kinda made it feel less like a zelda game. I also liked it better in older games where it felt like you had a set path and The story unfolded as you progressed. In BOTW it's like save the world or don't. It doesn't matter.

Casco

I’m really enjoying the dungeons and each of the levels but suffering with the controls more and more. Everything relies on pressing bumpers shoulder buttons and triggers. Finished the lava dungeon. Blew Link’s face countless times with the damn bombs. Enjoying the game but just wish it controlled better.

Casco

JaxonH

Beat Girahim in the first encounter with him after Faron Woods. He wasn't easy- couldn't figure out how to hit him. But eventually I figured it out.

Opened up the next area, but first had to deliver the pumpkin juice and find that woman's kid. Now I'm ready to move on.

edit
Geez, I was doing it all wrong. Didn't know you could shield bash Girahim, or slash the particles he throws at you, or slash him when he charges... I get it now. The game really wants you to utilize everything at your disposal.

Edited on by JaxonH

Rensch

I honestly cannot say the motion controls are any better than I remember. I just rage quit because it just doesn't register the stab move when trying to finish those laser turret enemies. Using the bombs is still as confusing as ever. I would use button controls, but I honestly can't say that feels quite right. The game and its complexities are just built around motion controls. I still like the motion controls like 90% of the time, but that remaining 10% is just infuriating and it's with the exact same actions that I struggled with on Wii.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

spiderman0616

I am not a big Zelda fanatic--I've played a bunch of them, but only ever finished Link's Awakening and Breath of the Wild. Needless to say, my hype levels were low for Skyward Sword HD. I bought it anyway because I was tired of grinding in Bravely Default II and I needed something else to play besides Mario Golf. I was pleasantly surprised from the second I loaded it up. This game has the Nintendo magic for sure when it comes to storytelling, sound design, character development, etc. I played it for probably 20 hours this weekend--I couldn't put it down.

The controls though--holy moly do they take time to get used to. I'm doing the button controls, and the only way I can stop myself from constantly pulling the sword out is to just keep my right hand off the controller until I need to fight a monster. I use left trigger to center my view and only look around AFTER I'm sure that left index finger is on the left bumper button. If this is an "improvement" on the original, I can totally see why it put people off on Wii.

All that being said, I really have been loving this game. Quality title that I consider a must-own on Switch.

spiderman0616

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic