Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 481 to 500 of 527

Ralizah

@Rob3008 Oh yeah, I keep forgetting I'm on a UK-based site.

The deals are gone right now, but, at least in NA, several vendors were selling it new for almost half off MSRP a few weeks after launch. And those price drops kept happening. Might've just been an attempt to cash in on christmas spending, though.

I doubt Sega will allow SMT V to stay out of stock too long in any major market, although, in the past, their physical games have been known to have low print runs, causing prices to skyrocket in the secondhand market.

It'll probably come back into stock at whatever MSRP is there.

After a cursory look on NA Ebay, I found this listing for $43.99:

https://www.ebay.com/p/11048593799?iid=363667934502

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

GameOtaku

@DomGC
Wouldn’t Golden Apples be the better skill over Luster Candy since it also heals fully (if not full at least a massive chunk) except status effects. It’s the main reason I keep Idun around and have built her up quite nicely.

GameOtaku

pashazade

Rob3008 wrote:

Do they typically reprint physical copies of series? I'm tempted to pick this up but the physical version seems to be going for silly money at the moment.

I hadn't realised that it had risen so fast, most shops are sold out. Amazon do have a UK copy for £54 and a US copy for £46. (Free Delivery for Prime).

pashazade

GameOtaku

@CactusMan
She bay be low in stats at first but with the different perma stat boost items I’ve saved over the course of the game so far she is a boon to gave for most boss fights. Currently she is around lvl 58.

GameOtaku

Cynas

I haven't finished the game yet, and this isn't specific to SMT V, but I wish Atlus would do away with kicking you to the title screen after dying, or at least add autosaves. I'm not sure if the reason they still have it in their JRPGs to make them feel more "hardcore", but it just feels like an outdated mechanic that punishes players for forgetting to save more than anything. And either way, punishing players by removing an excessive amount of progress feels like such artificial difficulty and bad game design that was a byproduct of the arcade era. Nowadays plenty of developers have found ways of making their games feel difficult without losing progress being the main punishment. Just compare something like Celeste to the original Mario Bros. The individual obstacles in Mario Bros are actually really easy, the only reason why the game can feel difficult is because of the amount of time it takes to get back to where you were if you make a couple of minor errors. I think if you've proven you can get past an obstacle in a game, forcing you to do it again is unnecessary in most cases. Celeste does a great job at this, making each obstacles feel difficult, but once you've overcome it you don't have to do it again. It's a game with no Game Overs but still proves these types of games can have a perfectly balanced difficulty. In JRPGs there can be some exceptions, like when resource management across multiple battles comes into play, but in general I think it's better to focus on the challenge of the individual battles rather than the punishment from failure.

Anyway, rant over, like I said this isn't something against SMT V in particular, just some thoughts I've had for a while on Atlus' death system. Despite this Atlus still has the majority of my favourite turn based JRPGs so it's not like it has never turned me away from playing any of their games or anything. SMT V is still a lot of fun so far and I'm looking forward to playing more.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

pashazade

@Rob3008

If you are still looking for a copy then ShopTo currently have UK copies for £39.85.

pashazade

VoidofLight

Someone called me a SMT V hater because I said the game looked a bit blurry and the frame rate wasn't great.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Ralizah

@VoidofLight Say ten Hail Beezlebubs and your transgressions against almighty Atlus shall be forgiven, my child.

VoidofLight

@Snaplocket It was someone agreeing with you in the Legends thread.

VoidofLight

@DomGC It's just the resolution, since the game is pushing the system's limits. You also have a red filter over the second region, which doesn't really help things all that much.

VoidofLight

@DomGC I feel like they needed to probably do different landscapes for the regions instead of just having them all sandy, and change depending on filter instead.

iLikeUrAttitude

Forgot to say here but I beat this game a few days ago.
My playthrough took 101 hours and I very much enjoyed it. Amazing game honestly, one of the best releases this year easily along with Monster Hunter Rise.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Ralizah

SMT V finally cleared 1mil units.

Edited on by Ralizah

jedgamesguy

Didn't even realise there was an SMT V thread, but ah well. I've gotten to the last region, the approach to the Temple of Eternity. So far it's been a great experience. The combat is very smooth (even though I'm on Safe lol), the graphics are superb, it runs well, and the music tracks are mostly bangers.

One strange thing I could mention is that the storytelling is pretty bad in SMT V. There's almost no connection between what happens in the cutscenes and what happens during gameplay. Apparently there was a "bigger focus" on characters, but they take a backseat anyway!

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ralizah

@TheJGG Yep, the storytelling and character development in general are both pretty bad, even by SMT standards. It's a shame, since this entry did so many things right.

For that reason, SMT IV and SMT IV: Apocalypse on 3DS are still the standard-bearers of this series for me. Both games feature satisfying and dark narratives with sometimes shocking plot twists and reasonably well-developed characters.

They tried to go for more of a Nocturne-esque vibe with SMT V, but the plot structure and storytelling style don't really allow for that to happen.

Edited on by Ralizah

jedgamesguy

@Ralizah Glad it's not just me then. SMT V's not the first game I've played with this issue, after all. It doesn't mean the whole game's bad at all, but it hurts the immersion of the game all the same.

I imagine one way this could have been avoided is if Dazai and Atsuta were playable party members. It would have diluted the demon fusion system but ah well. Same thing with Tao. Her and Sahori's deaths would have been so much more meaningful if they had been fleshed out more. Instead they mean nothing to me. Even though Tao comes back as some goddess. In that vein... what happened to Atsuta's sister? She was in the game for five seconds at the start and then just disappeared.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Ralizah

@TheJGG Miyazu crops up again in a late-game side-quest chain. A lot of the content that would have been integrated into the main plotline in previous games is instead used in sidequests. If you don't do the sidequests, you're actually missing a ton of this game's storytelling.

I don't actually mind that approach to narrative. Nocturne would have been so much more interesting if it had real sidequests like SMT V does. I just don't think the way the game is structured facilitates that sort of storytelling style.

Dazai and Atsuta didn't need to be playable, they just needed to be integrated more into the main plot like SMT IV's cast was. Or excised altogether. To be honest, had this game just been your protagonist wandering the wastes of Da'at on his lonesome, slowly piecing together what had happened to the world, it would have fixed my issues with the game on a narrative level. That's the approach Nocturne took, and it worked really well.

Anyway, I absolutely loved the game. It's only behind The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles as my favorite release of 2021. In many ways, it's my dream monster-collecting JRPG. But that doesn't mean I'm blind to its flaws, either.

Edited on by Ralizah

jump

What are people's views on the DLC? I started getting an itch to play SMTV again and I'm wondering if they are worth it or not.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dom_31

@jump the demifiend dlc is good as a side story to do as you go through the main game since it adds bosses that are roughly scaled to what your level would be in each region. I think all in all you get 7 new demons to fight and unlock + the final battle which unlocks some more stuff.
The three(?) single demons are...fine. I don't remember how much they cost but they're all just a single quest to unlock a new demon with one or two unique skills each. Nothing too crazy.

I didn't get any more than those, I wanna say there's grinding dlc but that's neither worth it nor necessary, even on the highest difficulty I never had to really grind unless I wanted to for news fusions/builds. And I also wanna say there was a spot to farm miitamas if you really want to anyway.

Edited on by Dom_31

Dom_31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic