Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 527

Ralizah

@jump Some of the DLC packs provide quests to recruit new demons, but I don't know that they're really worth bothering with.

Return of the True Demon adds in some extra boss fights from Nocturne, which is cool, but the Demi-Fiend fight is WAY too difficult, even for a DLC superboss.

I loved SMT V, but, personally, I don't really think any of the DLC was worth copping on its own.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

jump

@Dom_31 @Ralizah Cheers. I was looking at the Demi Fiend one as it sounded the most tempting with the rest looking very missable.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

iLikeUrAttitude

@Ralizah Heavily agree, I love this game but Atlus isn't getting anymore from me with their extremely toxic DLC practices. Locking behind so many demons, boss fights and even some story content is unacceptable.
It's been a major problem ever since SMT 4 and they only been continuing this trend even spreading to their other series Persona.
I really hope they stop before they comes back to bite them.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Ralizah

@iLikeUrAttitude I think the only cashgrab of their's that succeeded in truly annoying me was when they were giving people who purchased the digital deluxe editions early access to their games. That was ridiculous, and since it seems like they've stopped doing it, I have to wonder if they got some significant amount of pushback in response.

Persona DLC is totally worthless. It's either aesthetic, or just serves to remove even the slightest bit of challenge from an already absurdly easy game by giving you access to powerful endgame mons.

tbh I've never bothered with the mountains of DLC in any of their games, and have never felt cheated, or like I was getting an incomplete product. I might grab a couple of story DLC sets for SMT IV and IV: Apocalypse before the eshop goes down, but otherwise? Eh.

I love Atlus to death, but their game pricing and DLC monetization strategies suck. I hate it when companies try to milk their most loyal customers.

With that said, as long as they bring series I love to my preferred platform, I'll keep buying their games at launch.

Matt_Barber

I just picked up the free DLC myself. None of what you've got to pay for seems worth it unless you're an absurd level completionist, and it's not like the base game is short of content even there.

Matt_Barber

Ralizah

@Matt_Barber My playthrough was roughly 80 hours long, and I didn't do absolutely everything, so there's definitely a lot of meat on those bones.

Matt_Barber

I did all four endings in about 70 hours from a late game shared save. There were still a few demons and other collectables that I didn't pick up though, and I've not even touched NG+ yet.

Matt_Barber

Hayter

I started playing for the first time yesterday, and its really growing on me fast. Coming at a time where I suffer from some sort of gaming depression and I cant stay with anything for more than 20 minutes, this game seems to save me. Only level 9 so far but I love it.

Edit: Now level 12, beat Hydra, met Goko, this is the best game on Switch. What a wonderful experience, why didnt I start this sooner? Well, glad I have it now.

Edited on by Hayter

Hayter

Ralizah

@Hayter Nice. Is this your first SMT game?

Hayter

@Ralizah Yes, my very first experience with SMT. Funny, because this game seems all I ever wanted. Challenging but fair, a good looking setting, the sweet spot traning and fusing of demons... I am not a big story guy, I have books and movies for that, gameplay is what I care about and this one has all of it.

Hayter

Vortexeo

So do we have to rebuy the entire game for Vengeance?

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

FancyJehuty

@Vortexeo I think so. Not sure if the DLC that I've bought will be compatible with Vengeance either (it might actually be included in that rerelease).

It would be nice if Vengeance gave SMTV an actual, full-fledged story instead of the mess we got. The new content and designs look cool but I probably won't double-dip and will watch a let's play for the new stuff.

FancyJehuty

Kimyonaakuma

Seems like some of the original DLC (Cleopatra, Artemis, Mephisto, True Demon) are included in Vengeance.
...but now Vengeance has its own digital deluxe version? With two new demons (well new to SMTV) and the old Mitama DLC.

Seems fine for new players, but as an early adopter I don't think I'm getting a good deal. We'll have to wait and see.

Kimyonaakuma

Pizzamorg

So what actually is Vengeance, is it like a complete edition ported to other consoles, or is it just DLC?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Vortexeo

@FancyJehuty Man, that's kinda disappointing, especially if you've already bought the DLC. I don't think I've ever double-dipped before and tbh I don't really want to start lol.

Vortexeo

@Pizzamorg It seems like it's what Persona 5 royal is to persona 5. It's a complete edition with new improvements, and new story.

Pizzamorg

Thank you @Vortexeo. Royal is what got me to appreciate Persona 5, and the reason I ended up picking up 4 Golden and am currently playing through Persona 3 Reload, so here is hoping this can do the same. I actually played V on release but was way less familiar with Atlus RPGs at the time and found the difficulty just absolutely brutal so I ended up giving up on it. Royal and Reload both made their base games less arduous experiences so I hope this can do the same for V.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Kimyonaakuma

Is it like Golden/Royal? What I've seen so far is that you can pick the Canon of Creation or the Canon of Vengeance - the latter being the new content. They could easily add it as an expansion.
Depends how much the original game is overhauled I suppose. There does seem to be quality of life improvements but there's no saying if that's exclusive to the new route.

It's hard to say how much the new content is tied to the story, because the story in the original was already lacking.

Kimyonaakuma

Magician

Vengeance feels like what Apocalypse was for SMT IV.

The same plotline but from the perspective of a different character?

I've only put a few hours into SMT V, so I'm not sure.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Kimyonaakuma

Maybe it is like Apocalypse! I don't remember feeling ripped off by that, I did enjoy the original more though. It was a world I was happy to return to.

I just get a little tired of Atlus re-releasing games with an additional route. It's always weirdly mixed into the story, and now they seem to happen much sooner than the original. So it's not like there is a big graphical upgrade.
...will I buy it though? Probably. So they know they can get away with it. I'm the problem!

Kimyonaakuma

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic