Forums

Topic: Shin Megami Tensei V Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 434

JaxonH

This game is so incredibly addicting. I can't put it down. I'll stick around a single save point and explore a bit, battle, come back, restock, explore a bit further, rinse and repeat, until eventually I make it to the next save point.

I'm level 15 now, so progress is being made, slowly but surely, and I have every demon in the reverse compendium fused and in the registry up through Level 15.

I love everything about this game. It's just fun as heck to play.

PLAYING
NS: Shin Megami Tensei V, MH Rise
3DS:
Steam: Forza Horizon 5
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

Now that I'm at the endgame, I can safely I didn't enjoy it as much as the IV duology. It's still a 9 out of 10 game, but the IV duology were 10 out of 10 games.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Snaplocket

Just beat SMT V. The story was a lot weaker then I hoped but overall, awesome game.

9 out of 10.

alpacatears

I've just gotten to Taito and it seems like there's a massive spike in the level needed to progress. Enemies went from mid 50's to everyone in the storyline being above level 70.
I honestly feel like I've accidentally skipped some of the storyline as the gap seems huge for you to just need to grind.

alpacatears

JaxonH

@alpacatears
A bit of grinding, mixed with using all your saved items to level up, mixed with a bit higher difficulty, and if needed, a drop to casual mode- that should close the gap enough.

That's why I'm saving all my level up items for later on when the inevitable moment comes I need them.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR
NS: MH Rise Sunbreak, Bayonetta 3, Splatoon 3, Triangle Strategy, Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4

Jesus is Lord.

Snaplocket

@alpacatears Yeah, I just grind-ed up the dragon enemies in that part until I was level 70. I really don't like how damage is now scaled to level, the past games weren't so bad with that.

Ralizah

So I'm near the end of the third area/zone, checked my items, and I have 40+ grimoires! Almost nothing to do with them, because I fuse my demons constantly to keep their levels up anyway. Can't imagine how much of these sorts of items you must find with the Mitama DLC.

Currently Playing
Shin Megami Tensei V (NS)

Snaplocket

Just started new game plus, the endings are honestly pretty disappointing but the credits music is awesome!

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I know when you have even one type turned on in the settings they're pretty much everywhere. Like, 70% normal enemies, 30% mitoma. So ya, I think they're meant to be kept off unless you need some quick cash and XP. Keeping them on breaks the game entirely (which does make it odd they're turned on by default having purchased the digital deluxe). But they're nice to have in a pinch- I've turned them on briefly to get some cash quick to do a fusion I wanted, then turned it off afterward. I've got enough cash now I'm not sure I'll need them again- I reached a certain point where the coin started snowballing, but, the option is there if needed.

I have about 12 of those things that level up a demon. Don't wanna waste them early game though. Especially on one's I won't be keeping.

I have a hard time letting go of characters I like, but I've conditioned myself to let it go in SMTV, and now am constantly fusing new ones and carrying the skills forward. The compendium makes it easy, knowing I can always buy them back at any time I want. Not sure if that was in previous games but it's awesome. As is the reverse compendium. Being able to fuse without having them in my actual party is such a nice feature.

PLAYING
3DS:
PS5:
MOST EXCITED FOR

Jesus is Lord.

VoidofLight

Physical copies of this game don't exist at all. Guess I gotta delete some games I'm playing to make room for it, if I want to get it next month.

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

JasmineDragon

So I'm stuck on something, maybe you guys can help me. I've unlocked two new essences but I keep getting an "inventory full" message and can't pick them up. It's not related to the regular inventory, I've sold items and still get the message. I can't figure it out.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

RR529

@JasmineDragon, I think you can only hold one of each demon's essence at a time.

Sometimes a demon will try giving you their essence upon level up (if they've already learned all their skills), and you can also obtain essences from those yellow treasure chests, or from the Cadaver's Hollow shop (and I'm sure from the occasional other avenue).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

@JaxonH Reverse compendium fusion is lowkey the best new feature in this game. No need to scour those online fusion calculators anymore.

Heh, if you're collecting relics from collection points you'll be rolling in dough eventually regardless. I've got, like, 250,000 macca right now. Not that I mind: filling out the compendium will probably be expensive.

And yeah, the compendium was one of the big innovations added in Nocturne. As fun as SMT I was, it was hard to get used to the lack of my demonic pokedex from more recent games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing

JasmineDragon

RR529 wrote:

@JasmineDragon, I think you can only hold one of each demon's essence at a time.

Sometimes a demon will try giving you their essence upon level up (if they've already learned all their skills)...

I think you're onto something. I'd have to check my game, but I bet I already have those essences, I probably got them in the field already. Thanks!

JasmineDragon

@Ralizah How far are you in the compendium? I'm at like 12% and I feel like I'm at least halfway through the game. It's weird.

Pizzamorg

On the back of that essences conversation, even if you don’t have those essences, you can’t hold an infinite amount of essences, there is a cap. So it might simply be that you are holding the cap. It has happened to me a couple of times, as the game is surprisingly generous in handing them out if you go exploring the world. A good excuse perhaps to give some of your demons some very specific move sets and use up some of those essences. My personal recommendations is to make sure everyone is immune to light and dark, should you have the affinity ability unlocked and also to assign someone as your dedicated healer and another as your dedicated buffer/debuffer and give them moves from your essences around that.

In terms of the money conversation, same - never an issue with money here. You find a lot of money in the world if you’re exploring and I’d collect a bunch of relics on my way around, so I seemed to always be absolutely drowning in the stuff. Maybe not in the first couple of hours, but once I started to accumulate it just snowballed.

In terms of the fusion conversation, I do think it is a shame SMT V simplifies a lot of the fusion systems but I am also glad that SMT V does that in such a way that it makes it an easier system to use, overall. Negotiations are simpler, there are no real specific conditions to worry about with fusing, you are given a lot more information in terms of exactly what you can fuse and into what and you can’t really make any mistakes because of the simplifications. Worry free fusion.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Shin Megami Tensei V. Pokemon Shield.
Non-Switch games I am currently playing: Life is Strange: True Colors.

Ralizah

Wow, the Demon King's Castle is actually an awesome dungeon! I mean, the performance wasn't awesome (game chugged a bit too much for my liking in there), but I love the strong theming and how it utilizes actual problem solving via fun wind puzzles.

Also, something I didn't fully appreciate until now is how Nintendo-like the game's usage of those health/mp/magatsuhi orbs are. They're definitely not strung along willy nilly, but used to invisibly guide the player through complex environments not unlike coins in a Mario game. Really cool design.

@JasmineDragon 42% at the moment, although I've been making a conscious effort to collect as many of the demons as I can. I could definitely see how someone could squeeze through this game with a low compendium percentage, though.

Currently Playing

RR529

Just beat a French Werewolf mini boss in the shipping container/wharehouse area. I think I only lost 2 demons in the fight, so that was pretty good.

World design is great & fun to poke around in, though I'm not sure how I feel about it aesthetically. Certainly the run down Tokyo is a unique setting for a JRPG (one of the reasons I was attracted to it), but there's something about the use of color/lighting that can make things/enemies hard to pick out at times (especially with how dense some of the environments are).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Kimyonaakuma

People seem to be finishing this already!
I'm still on the second major area but I'm taking my time. Besides the butchering of Fionn Mac Cumhaill's name it's only getting better

...how did they manage "Mac Cumhaill" but not Fionn though? I thought the first name was the easy part.

Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

@Kimyonaakuma Had no idea his name was pronounced "McCool," so I had a good laugh from that when he first popped up.

On a related note, I've noticed the english actors in this game don't appear to be butchering Japanese names like the ones in IV: Apocalypse did. Nobody could pronounce Asahi's name right in that game, I swear to god.

Currently Playing

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic