Forums

Topic: Refresh Rate, 120 hz, Soap opera effect?

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Panopticon

Hi all, sorry if this has been posted before but I did a topic search and nothing came up. I once had a used HDTV given to me that was much less current than the ones sold today. When I fired up Breath of the Wild, it looked like a soap opera, like it was 60 fps. It was amazing. Then that TV died.

I recently purchased a new TV and did my research on how the soap opera effect was achieved. I believed the solution to be when a TV has a refresh rate of 120 hz. I asked around and that was the answer I usually got. So with that knowledge I purchased a TCL 50” Roku TV that says 120hz CMI on the side of the box. This TV is way bigger and sharper than any I’ve owned previously, and totally current and modern so I thought for sure it would give me what I’m looking for. I fired up BotW and...it does not look like a soap opera. I played around in the TV settings and there are no options related to “motion blur” or “upscaling” or “refresh rate.” I can click on a little status button for whichever input I’m currently on and a window pops up saying which input I’m on, and it says 60 hz.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I hate the soap opera effect for movies and TV. But I think I would very much enjoy it for certain video games. Can anyone think of a setting that I’m missing, on the Switch or on the TV? Or did I get duped? I should also mention I’ve fired up my PS4 and that also remains at 60 hz.

If i did get duped and this isn't possible, I think it’s pretty lame that I was once able to achieve this on a used tv that was probably 10 years older than my brand new one.

EDIT: Link to TV
https://www.amazon.com/TCL-50S425-inch-Smart-Roku/dp/B07JK98N...

Edited on by Panopticon

Panopticon

SwitchForce

Link to the TV model so others can see what it is.

SwitchForce

WoomyNNYes

My 2018 65 inch UHD Samsung nu8300 doesn't have the blatant soap opea effect the my low-end 2015 60 inch hdtv had. I saw that as a good thing, but i understand your case wanting that effect for botw.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

sixrings

@Woomy_NNYes I have a nu8300 and it looks good when the games are 900+p 60fps. Anything under looks terrible. 1080p 60fps upscaled looks almost as good as my xbox one x native 4k content.

sixrings

SwitchForce

First thing to do if that isn't true 120hz I would change that to game setup mode if that is there to see what happens and turn off any blur motion or tricks they are using to upscale a 60hz tv. So this model is not true 120hz tv. If you bought it for this reason then you got scammed from Amazon. Before buying anything claiming not true 120hz you should read the reviews before buying.

here's what Amazon review says;
Unless you are playing games, 60hz is preferred refresh rate for watching movies. 120hz causes soap-opera effect.

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

Panopticon

@SwitchForce

1) As I said in my OP, there are no options to turn anything on or off regarding blur motion or upscaling. There is a "Game Mode" but I don't notice any significant changes when this is on. The description of Game Mode is that the picture will have slightly less quality but less input lag. But again, I don't notice any difference.

2) That review from Amazon doesn't do me any good, because in case you missed it, I'm trying to enable the Soap Opera effect for the Switch, not disable it. If anything, that review makes me hopeful that my wish is still somehow possible.

Panopticon

WoomyNNYes

@Panopticon @SwitchForce EDIT: There's a lot of TVs that say 120hz but it's not a true 120hz. It's a widely used marketing scam across the board, used by all brands, not just a few dishonest TV models. As of 2018, the top tier LED 4K UHD tvs have the bogus 120hz labels. When you look in the tv specs in the manual, they put asterisks next to the 120hz and a note that it's their marketing term.

CNET lays it out better than me
https://www.cnet.com/news/beware-fake-120hz-refresh-rates-on-...

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Panopticon

@Woomy_NNYes Thank you. After some more searching, I discovered there's actually a possible class action lawsuit about this. Fortunately the TV is still really good in all other regards so it's not the end of the world. Just slightly disappointing. Cheers.

Panopticon

MateoElGoron

Hey, I believe the effect you're referring to is frame interpolation; whereby the TV creates frames to 'stitch together' the frames supplied by the film/show/game, to make the scene appear more fluid. I would hazard a guess that this would create input lag since the TV processor needs time to generate these frames, however this didn't seem to bother you when you played BotW previously on a TV with this feature.

BotW runs at 30FPS on Switch as you know, and frame interpolation would fill in the gaps to make it seem like the game is running at a higher framerate than it actually is.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

MateoElGoron

• Page 1 of 1

Sorry, this topic has been locked.