Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 2,230

rallydefault

@Moroboshi876
Ah, interesting. I'm not biting yet, then. The only reason I'd really want to at this point is to keep playing MK8 online, but I can deal without. I have an NES Classic; I've had my fill of NES games.

See, if they would offer really good discounts on CURRENT games like Xbox/PS do, I would totally sub. I could easily make back the 20 bucks by buying games at 25-50% off.

rallydefault

Moroboshi876

@rallydefault I'm not much of an online player either, but the trick here is getting a family plan and divide the price between 8 people.

I have an NES Mini too, and prefer to play Switch games when I use my Switch, of course, but it's not a bad feature and once in a while I can see myself playing them. Besides, not all of them are NES Mini games. More than 10 are actually games not included in NES Mini. Next month 2 of the 3 newly added games too.

But yes, I was expecting a permanent discount or something really easy to do -and done by the competition- like making the weekly discounts a 10%-20% cheaper for subscribers.

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

toiletduck

rallydefault wrote:

See, if they would offer really good discounts on CURRENT games like Xbox/PS do, I would totally sub. I could easily make back the 20 bucks by buying games at 25-50% off.

That's why they don't. It's not their intention to lose money...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Grumblevolcano

So it seems in general the subscription did well in Japan but poorly everywhere else.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Illusion

@Grumblevolcano is that a gut feeling combined with conversations you've had with people or is there some official data on that? (I do really want to know.)

Illusion

Grumblevolcano

@Illusion Gut feeling based on my experience of playing online.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

HobbitGamer

Could be, but also could be folks with multi plats are playing other things now that the season o games is gearing up. Your mileage may vary, I suppose. I don’t really play anything online right now other than Fortnite, which isn’t an indicator. Waiting for the Smashpocalypse, myself.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

rallydefault

toiletduck wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

That's why they don't. It's not their intention to lose money...

Interesting. So logically it would be inferred that PS/Xbox lose money on their subs. Even though their subs are 60 bucks, their sales routinely run 25-50%, which could net you anywhere from 15 to 30 bucks off on 60-dollar games. Only takes a few games to make up the sub cost.

Edit: Actually, Deals with Gold goes as high as 70% off, but that tends to be on older/smaller games.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Toy_Link

I’ve always thought that this rumor seemed somewhat exaggerated(especially since they found it in one ROM and people were using to prove Nintendo was stealing all their ROMs off the internet)

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

ianvarivs

Not sub’bing too until more news on the “special offers”. It’s like almost a month already and the offers are still limited to stuff I don’t fancy.

ianvarivs

toiletduck

@IANVARIVS I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I don't expect anything exciting anytime soon.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Grumblevolcano

I think Nintendo were purposefully unclear about "special offers" because this is it, the odd exclusive content here and there rather than XB1/PS4 scale eshop sales.

Grumblevolcano

Trajan

Just got the online trial. Was it my imagination or was CRT mode on by default? I went to the menu and hit 4:3 before I even thought about it. I heard the CRT on this particular thing can damage screens.

I tried it for a minute. But is it me or is this CRT mode really bad? CRT mode on the SNES looks great, but this is a blurry mess.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

HobbitGamer

CRT filters typically are bad. They seem to be way too heavy with the scanlines.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

NEStalgia

I dont' know, the graphics were designed with CRTs in mind. It's blurry, but it was always blurry. It was supposed to be blurry, that's what kept it from looking pixelated and horrible.

@ReaderRagfish Considering you're playing on CRT's in 2018 you're probably playing on latter era CRTs though. Aperture grille type displays from the late 90's and early '00s. Those were significantly sharper and less blurry than the NES's heyday era screens. Most people were playing on screens from the 70's 80's or at latest early 90's. I can assure you the CRT filter isn't nearly enough to compare to the screens my NES was connected to in the day.

Appropriate NES era CRTs, as a rule:
Have woodgrain cabinets
Have all silver front bezels
Have tube front glass that is a very light gray, not a black-ish color (low conrast.)
Have knobs, or sliders, not buttons
Have a UHF/VHF toggle knob or click-in button
Do not have remotes
A few will have large silver buttons in large rows or grids instead of knobs. These were from the late 80's early 90's.

The prototypical NES era TV would look almost universally like this:
Untitled

If your TV doesn't look like that, you're not playing CRTs authentically At least not prior to the N64 or very late in the SNES cycle.

The CRT filter is just too darned sharp for NES games, to me

@Grumblevolcano "special offers" (we'll tell you more later") always seemed weirdly evasive.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

The special offers line always read like a "we don't even know, but at some point we'll throw something together" type of message to me

TuVictus

Trajan

@NEStalgia I love thr CRT filter on the SNES. But on the NES online, man that looks horrible. My nes doesn't look that bad on a CRT...

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

NEStalgia

@Trajan Yeah but like I said to readerragfish, does your CRT look like the one in my picture? Late era CRTs look a LOT sharper, clearer, higher contrast, more colorful than the ones that were around in the mid 80's when the NES was dominant. Old CRTs and "new" CRTs don't compare. I mean I had a late era circa 2005 aperture grille PC monitor that actually looks better than most modern 1080p LCDs. But those old woodgrain mid-80's TVs had a black level somewhere around "silver" and were fuzzy fuzzy blurry messes. The NES Online CRT filter looks exactly perfect if not a little too modern versus the TVs I actually played NES on!

So the NESO CRT filter is actually period-accurate for how CRTs of the time period rendered games. If not a little too clean looking still.

NEStalgia

Trajan

@NEStalgia I had a 12" (? It was small) GE. It had woodgraun on the sides. No remote. Hard click wheels to change channels.

Also used an old Zenith furniture tv.

gcunit

TVs without remote controls... those were the days.

The pre-obesity crisis days

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic