Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Online Subscription Service Thread

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,232

Therad

@FaeKnight if not everyone that played online before started to sub, it has shrunken the community. You can argue it hasn't made much of an impact on Mario kart, rocket league or Splatoon 2, but it is still a fact there are less players.

The rest of your post just seem like a diversion tactics since it can't explain any recent drop in player count on switch.

Therad

Therad

Alantor28 wrote:

Therad wrote:

@FaeKnight servers does two things P2P can't do, consistency and equalizing.

A connection to a random person on the internet means you have no idea what to expect. Does the person have a good connection? Wifi or cable? How much latency? You can write the best "netcode" (which isn't a real technical term) in the world, but still get a lousy host. With a server each and every connection is the same.

Equalizing is you and every one have an equal input lag. All your inputs gets processed on the server side. If the one you are competing with are the host, they have a big advantage in that their button presses are instantly processed.

But still, the quality of P2P isn't the issue, it is the paying for nothing part. Tell me again why Nintendo need to put a third-party game behind a paywall?

Technically you are not paying for nothing, you are paying for less since communities shrinks when you put up a paywall. Less people = worse matchmaking.

We get it, you hate NSO for stupid things you keep parroting and don't like. Some people don't like it when you keep parroting the same thing over and over again. >_>

No one is forcing you to read. But you are welcome to discuss what you think is good about starting paying for online. Because wether you like it or not, there are down sides.

Therad

Alantor28

Therad wrote:

Alantor28 wrote:

Therad wrote:

A connection to a random person on the internet means you have no idea what to expect. Does the person have a good connection? Wifi or cable? How much latency? You can write the best "netcode" (which isn't a real technical term) in the world, but still get a lousy host. With a server each and every connection is the same.

Equalizing is you and every one have an equal input lag. All your inputs gets processed on the server side. If the one you are competing with are the host, they have a big advantage in that their button presses are instantly processed.

But still, the quality of P2P isn't the issue, it is the paying for nothing part. Tell me again why Nintendo need to put a third-party game behind a paywall?

Technically you are not paying for nothing, you are paying for less since communities shrinks when you put up a paywall. Less people = worse matchmaking.

We get it, you hate NSO for stupid things you keep parroting and don't like. Some people don't like it when you keep parroting the same thing over and over again. >_>

No one is forcing you to read. But you are welcome to discuss what you think is good about starting paying for online. Because wether you like it or not, there are down sides.

I haven't seen some down sides that you claimed. Also, learn not to double post. That violates the forum rules.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

FaeKnight

@Therad You are directly blaming the subscription fee for why any given game's online lobby loses players. And that's not actually true. The people who decided not to sub are also generally the people who weren't regularly doing online multiplayer in the affected games to begin with. Past history shows you that "paid console online multiplayer" doesn't actually affect the number of people playing online multiplayer.

A toxic in-game community will affect the player base since most people will abandon such a toxic community. And the fickle nature of online gaming affects the player base of any given game because people tend to abandon games within a few months to a year in favor of something new and shiny. Street Fighter 2 and Super Smash Bros Melee still having a huge competitive scene are the exceptions, not the rule.

Point of fact, the XB1 online multiplayer for Blood Bowl 2 is just as popular as the PC version's online multiplayer. Which means the community shrank greatly after the game's initial release, surged briefly with the release of the paid expansion, then dropped back down again as the majority of new players moved on to the next 'big thing'.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

Octane

@kkslider5552000 Wanna play a whole year of Fortnite, 10 hours a day? Sure go ahead

Hold on, you wanna trade that Machoke in Pokemon Let's GO? Pay up!

Of course, Pokemon is in this weird position where it has a separate subscription, Pokemon Bank, on top of NSO. And it doesn't support cloud saves, because that's what you get when you pay for... wait.. what?

Octane

shaneoh

HobbitGamer wrote:

Well, it's a thing now. So. It's over. If folks really wanted something else, they shouldn't have bought a Switch, since Nintendo said at launch that paid online was happening. The thread doesn't need a 'weekly reminder' of the fact that it exists.

I'm curious as to whether loot box supporters said the same thing.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

HobbitGamer

They very well could have. Like when Xbox Live locked Netflix behind a wall before changing that.

I was just being sour grapes, I apologize folks. I shouldn't get annoyed that folks don't like paying for online services, that's not fair to someone's opinion. To each their own.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Alantor28

@HobbitGamer Agreed. It's easy to get upset over things like that.

PSN: MMX20

kkslider5552000

FaeKnight wrote:

However posting a 'weekly reminder that you're paying for what should be free' is going too far.

In no reality is this true, unless you have no real problems in life. I'm just stating my opinion, just at an amusingly regular basis.

I'm not even that mad about it, but I just fundamentally think this shouldn't be a thing. Deal with it. (or you could pay me 20 bucks a year to stop :VVVVV)

but while i'm repeating myself, Star Fox Zero is good-ish, New Super Mario Bros Wii was boring outside of the co-op addition, Xenoblade X was great but had frustrating elements, buy Rhythm Heaven, and I'm out

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Therad

@FaeKnight No, I am not blaming everything on the online sub. But any drop in player count in mk8 or Splatoon 2 now can't be explained by abusive behavior from others nor by the inevitable drop in player count over time.

Also, both Sony and Ms started their subs from the beginning of a console cycle, it is impossible to know if they had player drops, since every cycle starts from zero.

But as you yourself said, those that play online every now and then (like me) might not find the sub worth it. Which means there are less players in any given game. You will see the same people more often, and it is harder for the matchmaker to find suitable opponents. This is just math.

Therad

Therad

Alantor28 wrote:

Therad wrote:

Alantor28 wrote:

Therad wrote:

I haven't seen some down sides that you claimed. Also, learn not to double post. That violates the forum rules.

There are down sides regardless if you notice them or not.

But why is it good to have to pay to play online?

Regarding double posting, that rule seems to have been removed in the community rules. Which quite frankly is a good thing, since it is a pita to do on a smartphone.

And a pro tip, if you are not a moderator, don't go around and play one. Use the report button. Concentrate on following the rules yourself and let others do their job.

Therad

Quarth

Has there really been such a huge player drop in Splatoon 2? I haven’t noticed any difference in the matchmaking time.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Moroboshi876

I set a family plan but one member gave my a wrong e-mail address, and the invitation was already sent. How can I uninvite him in order to send the invitation again to the right address?

I don't find any information about this... Can you help me, please?

Thanks

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

1UP_MARIO

remove the person from you accounts family subscription and invite again

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

1UP_MARIO

@Moroboshi876 just remove them from your accounts menu under family subscription and invite again

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Moroboshi876

@1UP_MARIO Problem is invitations still unaccepted don't show. But I think it cancels itself after 24 hours. We'll see.

gcunit

It's not a problem at all. Invites expire after 24hrs for one thing. And if someone else gets it and accepts it, you just boot them out of the group. But the chances of you sending it to an email address of someone else who also has a Nintendo Account are pretty slim I'd guess.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Moroboshi876

@gcunit Thanks. I'll wait then. In fact, I checked and that e-mail doesn't even exist (googling at least).

rallydefault

How are the exclusive sales? I haven't subbed yet.

rallydefault

Moroboshi876

@rallydefault They aren't. The wording was (deliberately, I think) confusing, but as of now the only "special offer" (see, they didn't say "sales") has been the ridiculous NES-styled joy-cons, only available for subscribers.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic