Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 561 to 580 of 637

porto

@Ralizah I’m so glad you enjoyed it 😊 I don’t think we need to hide the spoilers anymore, the games been out for a month, but I understand why you would want too.

That ending definitely gets darker when you put it like that lol 😂 and yes the soundtrack in this game is beautiful. I honestly don’t know which is my favorote, either Autumn Mountain or Scorching Sandpaper Desert.

I love the use of violin in the SSD, but I adore the vocals in AM so, I guess there can be two in first place! Lol!

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Apportal I always hide spoilers. Not everybody plays a game at launch, and I'd much rather take the ten extra seconds to arrange spoiler tags than spoil someone's appreciation of a game. It's common courtesy, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, yeah, the game really blew me away in certain respects. The expansive environments, puzzle dungeons, soundtrack, and boss battles are all top-of-the-line. The normal ring battle system... I like it, although I wish there were more variety to it. Like, it would've been cool to see your access to new attacks and mechanics evolve over the course of the game. It's hardly a bad system, though.

I genuinely don't understand this complaint about there being "no incentive to battle," to be honest. Putting aside the fact that you need money for everything in this game, and the main source of money is battling, there's nothing wrong with sections where you battle to surpass obstacles. You'd think this was the first non-RPG ever developed. Imagine someone playing a Mario game or DOOM and crying about how pointless it all is because a meter isn't ticking up somewhere!

What this game doesn't give players is an incentive to grind. And as far as I'm concerned, that's mostly a good thing.

On that front, I continue to love how the game allows you to automatically kill weak enemies without having to enter into ring battles. It was a tedious waste of time killing low-level enemies in TTYD.

What gets me about the soundtrack is the variety. You get great quirky Paper Mario-esque tunes, hot-blooded battles tunes, somber tunes that play during key plot moments, creepy tunes, etc. And they're all fantastic. This has to be one of the stronger soundtracks I've heard in a Nintendo game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

rallydefault

@Ralizah
It's just easier for people to wrap their heads around no exp=bad game (or at least bad battle system), especially if they haven't played the game. Exp is just that all-encompassing element that is in most games, and not even just rpgs these days. I think even CoD has exp lol People like filling bars and then having numbers rise once they fill the bar. It's easy to grasp and has been around forever. Anything that goes against that is gonna get pushback.

As for your plot phrasing, yea, when you put it that way... lol But I mean, without giving too much away, is that really how you interpret Olivia's wish? I just took it as her wanting to help Mario get everything back to normal.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault The wish was primarily intended to put things back to the way they should be, but Olivia knew it would unmake her as well. She could have easily worded the wish to disinclude herself if she wanted to survive, but she chose not to. Besides, we already know from the Bobby incident that the game explores themes relating to finding meaning in death.

She was Mario's friend, but King Olly was her only real tether to the world, and he basically died in her arms. It's not surprising that she would choose a peaceful death to being the only one of her kind in that world.

Heavy stuff, maybe, but I feel like it's both more textually supported AND satisfying than concluding that she snapped herself by accident.

Edited on by Ralizah

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Very interesting. Definitely not by "accident," I agree. Wow. You gave me a lot of deep thinking to do.

rallydefault

Matt_Barber

I thought I was going to hate the combat a lot more than I ended up doing. The thing is, the game throws so many coins at you that you can just load up with the most powerful weapons that allow you to one-shot all the enemies you meet, and you can give coins to the crowd to solve (usually just getting them to do the first step sufficed to me) the puzzles.

Sure, I'd prefer something that gave me genuine options - as the boss battles do - but it still beats having to farm a bunch of single-use stickers like the previous two games. It does come as a blessed relief when you get to one-shot a particular enemy with a jump or the hammer without entering combat though.

In terms of story, characters and humour I'd think the series is back on track. There's been much made of how strict Nintendo are on what IS can do with the brand, but I'd think it's much the same with any other big franchise and there's a veritable arsenal of techniques writers have built up to work their original ideas into shared universes.

Also, I loved the Zelda references in the game, especially those BOTW-style shrines with the Toad at the end instead of the monk. Perhaps Paper Zelda could be a thing one day, or maybe even a Fire Emblem/Zelda crossover?

Matt_Barber

Quarth

@Ralizah That's exactly why the game almost brought me to tears at the end. A very beautiful ending.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

RR529

Just arrived at the opulent Sniffit city after exploring the desert for a bit.

Too bad there are so many old school PM fans who won't give it the time of day, as at this point in time I think it's every bit as good as last year's big exclusives like Astral Chain & Luigi's Mansion 3 (may like it even more than LM3). Of course, it could get worse, but based on what other people who've played it have said, I don't think that's going to be the case.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

porto

@RR529 trust me, it only gets better from there.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

rallydefault

@RR529
Yea, it gets REALLY good after that one. The desert streamer might be my least favorite of the bunch, but even then I didn't hate it. I just think I spent too long in that area. I can still hear the Shroom City song in my head lol

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault Interesting. Shroom/Snif City, the desert, and the temple you eventually end up exploring was probably my favorite chunk of the game.

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Yea, I just spent sooooo much time in that city and the desert that I was ready to leave. I did like the temple itself, though. I thought that was a really cool dungeon and boss and exploration mechanics you don't normally see. I found the next area quite "refreshing" (lol) in contrast.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Tendo64

First time poster here.

Bought this game on launch day and played it for a bit initially, before leaving it alone for a few weeks, and thought I'd reserve my judgement for when I'd played a bit more.

Picked it up again this weekend and absolutely binged on it. Everything about it so far is great - aside from the boss battles.

As a rule I'm not outstanding at solving puzzles, and so the 'ring' boss battles have been incredibly frustrating and tedious, which is a shame because the rest of the game has been fantastic.

Think this part of it really lets the game down. The developers have just unnecessarily over-complicated things here, and have really squandered what I think was a chance to complete an all-time classic, because it's the game's only (significant) weakness. The rest of the game is strong enough to keep me playing, but each boss battle so far has been a total drag.

Maybe you need a clear head to play those stages, because I can tell you, after a solid all-day session, I'm nowhere near sharp enough to solve the 'ring' style boss battle system. Add to that I'm just not great at puzzles I guess.

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Tendo64

Come to the conclusion that the water boss is fkn rigged. Piece of s***

Edited on by Tendo64

Tendo64

Tendo64 wrote:

Come to the conclusion that the water boss is fkn rigged. Piece of s***

Never mind, beat it.

rallydefault

@status-204
I felt the middle portions of the game felt weaker, but as soon as I hit the ocean it was back on the upswing for me and I couldn't stop playing. I thought Kamek and company were really well done, and I loved the final areas (except for the very very last area - that felt a bit rushed to me and lacked the imagination of other areas). I would say that my favorite areas of the whole game are definitely the first two, but I disagree with the notion that the writing/characters lost steam toward the end.

@Tendo64
Don't forget to use the toads during battles. Even during boss battles they can help you.

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault @status-204 For me

Sandpaper Desert > Wind Waker section > Origami Castle + Final Boss > Autumn Mountain + Shogun Studios > Shangri Spa > First chunk of the game

It peaked mid-way through, and then kind of wobbled in quality from there. It was all good, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

RR529

I haven't had many issues with the bosses so far (at least I haven't had to replay any yet). I think the main thing I've learned is to not overthink it. Usually it only takes one or two moves to actually make a path to the boss.

The main boss of the Blue Streamer area was long winded as it could regenerate, but other than that it wasn't hard per se other than it's last ditch desperation attack which I could easily see wiping someone in one hit. I barely had enough HP to endure it, but I could see how it could be perceived as BS.

I did resort to using the Toads during the Yellow Streamer's Vellumental, but it's the only boss so far I've done so.

The Purple Streamer Vellumental (my most recent boss) was long winded as I misunderstood the hint about moving the ice in a line to break it (I thought it meant to line them up like enemies in regular battles). Once I figured it out I finished it without much trouble (had to use a few Mushrooms though).

Nothing else has given me any trouble in particular, and I've really enjoyed the couple of giant paper mache bosses you fight in real time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Awh, I love the first part of the game! I am usually a sucker for early game areas and mechanics, though. I like the simplicity of games before they get overly complicated. I'll replay the starting areas in games like Zelda and Pokemon over and over. I'm weird lol But those areas tend to be so whimsical and focused and free of the heaviness of later parts of games.

@status-204
It's one of my favorite games of this generation, for sure. I just want to wrap up my second year in Mineral Town and then I'm going back to this to get everything. I have most things, just a few loose ends (ha) to wrap up.

rallydefault

RR529

The "Shy Guys Finish Last" minigame can bite me.

I passed it, but it was getting close. I'm lucky I aced the Ninji category, as it got to the point I wasn't going to clear it unless I won at least one of the 50 point rounds. No way I'm going to tackle the sudden death mode, at least not any time soon.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic