Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 581 to 600 of 637

NintendoByNature

@RR529 yep that was by far the worst part of the game. I hated it. That was the only part I disliked though.

NintendoByNature

Ralizah

Aww, I liked Shy Guys Finish Last. The minigames were fun.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

porto

@Ralizah I did too. I don’t understand the hate.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

RR529

My biggest problem with it (the "Shy Guys Finish Last" game) was that they had you doing a lot of new things with the ring system, so even if you knew the answer to a segment, I just found that a lot of the times I didn't have enough time to figure out HOW to answer it (particularly the math questions).

Granted, I don't imagine it'd take anyone more than 2 or 3 attempts to clear the segment once you have a good grip on a couple of the categories, the problem is that it's a long winded segment, so when you lose, it takes a long time to do so & start over.

I liked the game show theme though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WCB

Finished this not too long ago. It took me just over 35 hours (close enough, come on Nintendo, add a decent game clock) but I did try to find a lot of the collectables as I went along. Wow, I have to say I absolutely loved it, some moving moments amongst the hilarious shenanigans, the writers did a fantastic job. The ring battle system got better as the game progressed with some memorable boss battles. Not much to dislike actually.

I'd give it 9 toads out of 10

Xbox Gamertag: Chrysler2271
PSN: kissoon32
Switch Friend Code: SW-5919-0229-7098

Toy_Link

For all you blaming all the failures of the new style on Miyamoto, because of two pieces of bad advice he gave during Sticker's Star development, Tanabe and Nagaya have clearly expressed that Miyamoto has had no involvement in the last 2 Paper Mario games.

Tanabe wrote:

“Ever since Paper Mario: Color Splash, we have almost complete control over the creative direction of the game. Mr. Miyamoto checked in on development once or twice, but there were no specific requests to make changes. However, all character designs have to pass a check by our IP team, which is pretty strict. Nonetheless, we were allowed to change the outfits of some Toads in this game.”

Nagaya wrote:

Mr. Tanabe is correct about us having complete creative control over the crucial elements of the game. We were constantly checking whether or not our approach was moving too far away from the Mario universe. During development, we were also careful not to disappoint the expectations of fans of the core Mario series. As mentioned, there are strict guidelines related to the use of characters. It’s a challenge to emphasize the unique aspects of the game while still adhering to the guidelines

I'd say the ones mostly to blame for most of the problems in New Paper Mario this are Nintendo's internal "IP team" who seem to be very strict and Tanabe's self imposed restrictions (new battle system every game, no overt RPG elements, partners being uncontrollable, etc.)

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Tendo64

Up to Shroom City and the game really has me hooked now. Have got more of an understanding of the ring system with the boss battles, buying extra time, and using the toads to best advantage, which makes things a lot less frustrating and a lot more enjoyable.

It's been some turnaround - I got the game on launch day, played it for a little while and thought it wasn't for me. The last two weekends have changed that, playing it extensively.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

RR529

Best the game last night! The final boss was pretty epic, though pretty nerve wrecking. I really liked the look of the Origami Castle too. The game has some really good looking locales.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

rallydefault

@Toy_Link
Trying to point blame for the "problems" is assuming there are problems, though. Many, including some of us, love the direction of the more recent games. It's all subjective.

rallydefault

toiletduck

Disclaimer: all I'm saying in this post is subjective and only my opinion. I'm happy for everyone who doesn't share it.

So I've finally reached the ending credits a few days ago. I've put the cart in the box and I doubt whether it'll ever come out again for 85%ing it (100% I hardly ever reach in a game so 85 is my new overall satisfaction rate). I think the first time I may see it again, is when I trade it in somewhere.

I've had fun during some parts of the game, e.g. the sea exploration part and some of the bosses. Besides that I really liked the art style and the looks of the world design and a lot of the music. Besides that, the progression system with coins, hearts and accessories also pleased me. I didn't miss xp and uplevelling.

Most of the parts though were simply too slow for me. Dialogue often kept dragging and the pace in which dialogue was actually presented was too slow. For the most of it I didn't like the battle system. The puzzles with the timer just didn't click for me. It felt like a 'must do' instead of something that added to the fun.

In the end I'm glad a lot of people seem to have enjoyed this a bit more than I did!

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Tendo64

toiletduck wrote:

Most of the parts though were simply too slow for me. Dialogue often kept dragging and the pace in which dialogue was actually presented was too slow. For the most of it I didn't like the battle system. The puzzles with the timer just didn't click for me. It felt like a 'must do' instead of something that added to the fun.

I think this is spot on. The battles with enemies for the most part were an unnecessary pain in the arse, and the fleeing action was too hit and miss...wish it could have been like the Pokemon games where you can just select 'flee' if you don't want to take part in a futile battle. Makes that part of the game tedious IMO.

Edited on by Tendo64

Matt_Barber

Once you figure out the battle mechanics you should never have to run away. Just keep buying enough of the best weapons that the shop will sell you and throw a hundred coins or so to the crowd to get you started whenever you get a puzzle that can't immediately be solved, and you should get a perfect on every round.

Obviously it's still drags the game down in comparison to what it could have been had they put a truly engaging combat system in there, but I don't think it's game-breakingly bad. Or at least it isn't as bad as anyone who tries to get through every battle without using coins and just the basic weapons is going to think it is.

Matt_Barber

toiletduck

@Matt_Barber exactly. Your suggestions work as a band aid, but the pain stays

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Tendo64

This game really seems to drag on at the end. Up to the start of Peach's Castle, and after going through a fair bit in the stages right before (I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't played yet), there's then more to do, and then some. Or maybe my play sessions are too long and by the time I get to certain points my brain is cooked. Looking forward to finishing the game during my next session and moving onto something else, as I reckon I'm just about burnt out on it.

Tendo64

I've just finished the game, took me 40 hours or so but I pissed around a lot while playing it, exploring every nook and cranny.

Initial reaction to finishing it: Thank Christ that's over.

Not that it was a bad game; I really enjoyed it for the most part, particularly after I got the hang of the ring battle system which even then had its moments of frustration.

But as I mentioned previously, the game just drags on at the end. Little did I know when I made that comment that the problem would be much worse than what I thought.

Found the Origami Castle stage to be one of the most unrewarding, tedious and drawn out endings to a game I've ever experienced...it just went way too long. To be made to do all these difficult tasks, including bosses, then when you've prevailed, be made to do more, and then more, it just plain sucked.

Overall, an enjoyable game with its share of frustrations and tedium. 7/10.

EDIT: Just read the divisive opinions on Shy Guys Finish Last. I didn't mind it but I didn't have any real trouble with it. The only question I had a problem with was the maths one where you have to make the equation in the ring, and I copped that one first up while I was still getting my head around the whole thing.

Apart from that, the race ones which I got a couple of were quite easy and formed the majority of my 100 points needed. Would just write down the four characters from top to bottom, then instead of looking at the end results as four different numbers, I'd just write the number down as a whole alongside the characters at the end of the race. Probably cheating, but who cares.

Having said that, there was no way I was going to take on the sudden death stage. Was more than happy to just take my win and move on.

Edited on by Tendo64

rallydefault

My only disappointing area was the very final castle. For me, that's the only place I would even dare to say they "ran out of ideas." I LOVED the areas right after the ocean, though.

rallydefault

porto

@rallydefault didn't enjoy the final castle either. Besides that, and Whispering Woods, every area had some unique point to it, and was just a great distraction to go there. My favorite areas were

1) Toad Town
2) Shangri Spa
3) Shroom City
4) Great Sea
5) Shogun Studios
6) Overlook Mountain
7) The Princess Peach
8) Autumn Mountain
9) Picnic Road
10) Ice Vellumental Mountain

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

rallydefault

@Tendo64
Is the sudden death thing always the same? I did it and won, thankfully - from what I remember it was just a question (not like the visual puzzles and stuff), and I found it to be pretty easy.

Looking at your review, you remind me of something I try to avoid the first time I play any game: explore absolutely everything. No matter how good the game is, even if it's Ocarina-caliber awesome, I just get burnt out from constantly checking every little corner and talking to every single NPC and whatever else. That happened to me with BotW. Oh man. I got every shrine, all the hearts and stuff, all the outfits... I was sooooo ready for that game to be over. And it kinda soured me on the whole game, unfortunately - I haven't even gone back to beat it again, and I've beaten every Zelda game numerous times.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Tendo64

rallydefault wrote:

@Tendo64
Is the sudden death thing always the same? I did it and won, thankfully - from what I remember it was just a question (not like the visual puzzles and stuff), and I found it to be pretty easy.

Looking at your review, you remind me of something I try to avoid the first time I play any game: explore absolutely everything. No matter how good the game is, even if it's Ocarina-caliber awesome, I just get burnt out from constantly checking every little corner and talking to every single NPC and whatever else. That happened to me with BotW. Oh man. I got every shrine, all the hearts and stuff, all the outfits... I was sooooo ready for that game to be over. And it kinda soured me on the whole game, unfortunately - I haven't even gone back to beat it again, and I've beaten every Zelda game numerous times.

Sounds like you've hit the nail right on the head. I know because of that I won't be playing the game again any time soon!

Tendo64

damien33ad wrote:

@Tendo64 I've been debating a while now on whether or not to get this game. You feel comfortable giving it a score from 1-10?

I'd give it an 8/10 now that I've had time to reflect on the game a bit more three months on.

The biggest frustration for me was the boss battles with the ring combat system where you needed to basically solve a puzzle each turn to get the best route to attack. It took some getting used to and learning, but once I got it, it became pretty enjoyable and rewarding and improved the overall experience of an already fun game.

The only other shortcoming for me was the way it kind of dragged towards the end, but that might just be because I was binging hard on it and I'd become a bit fatigued with it.

But it's definitely worth picking up. One of the best games I've played on the Switch yet.

Edited on by Tendo64

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic