Forums

Topic: Nintendo Labo

Posts 161 to 180 of 398

Eel

Nintendo or not, these templates will probably be available to download like a full week or two before the games come out.

Even then if you buy them, you can trace replacement patterns yourself.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

RR529

This actually looks really interesting, but I need to see more of what the games offer before I can really consider it.

I really like the idea of the fishing one (the fishing minigame was also my favorite of 3DS' AR Games), but I don't have much experience with crafting stuff, and I wouldn't want to damage anything during construction.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Eel

So apparently at least the variety pack comes with the option of "making" your own toy con. In the trailer you can see it in action in the part where a little cardboard person falls over, the screen shows basic instructions being conected to generate the behavior.

It's unclear how in-depth the software is, but it could be interesting.

The little cardboard person can be seen in the image that shows the cardboard sheets in this page, so it's definitely part of the variery pack.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

toiletduck

Not sure if this has thought has passed here already, but I just realised something. Accidently watched the trailer of the new Yoshi game again yesterday. You know, with all the cartboard... Any thoughts/ideas of whether and how Labo/ToyCon could be integrated in this game? Almost seems unlikely that they won't...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FragRed

@toiletduck I think the Yoshi game is just following the ideas of the series, in that they seem to focus on a different material/setting for each game. For instance the first game had a crayon vibe to it all, the last game was made of wool. Just a coincidence. Also don't think it would be wise for Nintendo to start pushing Labo into their normal games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

toiletduck

@FragRed Yeah makes sense. The coincidence could come in incredibly convenient though, who knows! I wouldn't rule it out completely.

toiletduck

FragRed

@Dev It depends on how long Labo has been in development for as opposed to Yoshi. Also Yoshi isn't being developed by Nintendo themselves, so would the outsourced company know anything about Labo prior to the announcement?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

gcunit

@toiletduck I had the same thought myself. I doubt it's just a coincidence and I expect there to be at least some sort of Labo reference in the game, if not some integration.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

You guys have to remember that the Labo games cannot be played without the cardboard, or at least some contraption that mimics the cardboard. That's the entire point I think.

Yoshi is perfectly playable with a regular controller. So unless it's a separate mode, adding cardboard isn't going to change the experience at all. It's just going to be like the Mario Kart wheel accessory, a piece of plastic, or in this case, a piece of cardboard. I don't see the point.

Octane

gcunit

@Octane Well, I'm not going to pretend I've put much thought into it, but in the same way that most amiibo interaction in games is optional, why couldn't a Labo device be. Maybe they'll sell some Labo amiibo - you build it, scan it on the NFC, and then it gives you some optional functionality (that you could probably mimic without the Labo anyway).

People buy amiibo. In most cases they're pretty pointless and can be done without. Labo could be a build-your-own amiibo.

Bunkerneath

Anyone thought that it's a bit suspicious that this cardboard LABO has come out, and the up coming Yoshi game is set in a cardboard setting?

Edited on by Bunkerneath

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

gcunit

@Bunkerneath I assume you've got toiletduck on your ignore list... or you just haven't read the posts in this thread from earlier today...

Bunkerneath

@gcunit HA! Sorry about that, he isn't on ignore, just missed the posts

@toiletduck good to know I wasn't the only one who thought it though

Edited on by Bunkerneath

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

skywake

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Sony did dual analog...

Sega did a screen on a controller...

Well if you're going to be pedantic Sony's Dual Analogue controller launched after the N64 and the DualShock launched after the Rumble Pak. Sure Sony put two analogue sticks on a controller but I'm not sure how much credit I'd give them for that move. It's definitely a thing but even then it wasn't really until Halo that dual-analogue became as big a thing as it is today.

On the second point, sure the Dreamcast did have a screen in the controller. But to be fair it wasn't really like the Wii U at all. It was more along the lines of pocket sized mini-games which I suppose Nintendo did copy with Pokemon Mini and later the Pokemon Pedometer. If anything Nintendo "copied" what Nvidia was doing with the Shield. With a low spec, portable, thin client for gaming you stream games to wirelessly.

Anyways, everyone copies everyone. That's just how it is. The thing that I think people who say everyone copies Nintendo are picking up on is more that Nintendo takes more risks. Often insane risks that come out of nowhere. So when someone else does the same? People notice that more than the company that was first to have HDMI 2.0 or haptic feedback in their buttons.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

toiletduck

@Octane we haven't seen everything of Yoshi right? Only some gameplay. Heck, not even a release date... Could well be there's a mode or mechanic not shown to the audience as of yet. I'm thinking of a novelty way to be able to enter certain places where you collect stuff for example, only reachable with ToyCons. Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if we're on a dead end either here and there's no integration whatsoever.

@Bunkerneath good morning to you too

toiletduck

Haruki_NLI

@skywake Didnt Wii U come before the Shield?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JDORS

Labo is a terrible idea. It's for kids? Nintendo's first party software is supposed to sell its hardware, thus it should be for everyone, not just kids. I was worried that after the Switch's first year that Nintendo would decide to phone it in and once again start using gimmicks to try and sell subpar software, and it looks like I was right. Nintendo needs to realize that it doesn't necessarily need to be different, it just needs to be better. But making truly great games requires hard work, and Nintendo's developers clearly don't want to do the hard work. They're going to try to coast on gimmicks and Wii U ports. A shame.

JDORS

skywake

YummyHappyPills wrote:

@skywake Didnt Wii U come before the Shield?

Fair call, I must've been thinking of the 600 series GPUs and above which supported it. Either way same deal, everything is or at least looks like a copy of some other idea. Sometimes some ideas are just inevitable as certain technologies get cheaper

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Anti-Matter

@JDORS
LABO was NOT a Terrible idea.
We can't say it is Terrible just because it look underestimated.
Just remember, i LABO really success , who need VR, 4K those are Really Lame ?
And you should know, this is like Nintendo offering different Side Dish for customers.
Nobody forced you to buy, nobody asked you to hate it.
Don't like, ignore it.
If you still upset with LABO's idea, you did complain with Nintendo Switch.
Nintendo will NOT hearing those Trivial complaints. Business must go on.
And i believe it had calculated carefully by Tatsumi Kimishima.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Sorry, this topic has been locked.