Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 16,081 to 16,100 of 16,662

Novamii

@Grumblevolcano A Link Between Worlds would be a pretty high contender. It'd give fans of the 2D games something, not to mention it's near universally praised. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been ported sooner. Another perfect game for Switch 1 + Switch 2 backwards compatibility, throw a little bone to the Switch 1 audience while the big projects go exclusively to Switch 2.

That said, it would be nice to have Sunshine available (as well as Galaxy) so that people who missed them via 3D All-Stars could finally play them. The ports are already made, it'd be easy as pie to just sell 'em separately. Though I mostly say that just so Galaxy 2 has a higher likelihood of getting ported over, I can't imagine them porting 2 over when 1 is still stuck on the collection. That game got snubbed from 3D All-Stars, I just want it on Switch so bad. XD

Edited on by Novamii

I'm cringe, but I'm free.

My Current Games: Binging some smaller games until the Direct. (Prime 2+3 would be great)
(I'm a man of my word, if Kid Icarus: Uprising gets announced in the next Direct, I'll make my avatar wear a clown outfit for a week.)

HiGuysGames

The idea of another GameCube game coming to Switch is interesting because there aren't that many contenders. Quite a few of the big ones are already on switch (Pikmin 1 + 2, TTYD, Metroid Prime), which only really leaves us with a half-dozen options or so:

• Metroid Prime 2 (Seems possible given MP 1, but it's a long wait if it's 2025)
  • Luigi's Mansion (Seems unlikely to me, Given LM2 is coming this year, but its possible)
  • F-Zero GX
  • Windwaker
  • Twilight Princess
  • Four Swords Adventures

All the other remaining games seem completely out of the realm of possibility to me. I just can't see them doing Animal Crossing or Smash Melee, as Ultimate and NH are still selling amazingly..
That is, unless they pull something out of left field like Chibi-Robo or Eternal Darkness

Edited on by HiGuysGames

HiGuysGames

VoidofLight

I hope that they'd hold off on Twilight Princess- at least unless they do a full on remake like TTYD got. I don't want just a port of Twilight Princess HD, given that it was a lazy remaster that only barely cleaned up textures. In a game that deserves a fully orchestrated score and better animations/cutscene presentation.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

FragRed

I’m just here hoping one day we get that remake/remaster of Eternal Darkness

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

IceClimbers

My guess is that the 3DS game is either Kid Icarus Uprising, A Link Between Worlds, Metroid Samus Returns, or Tomodachi Life.

The GameCube game is probably one of the Zeldas.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

rallydefault

I would be disappointed if it were Link Between Worlds, actually. To me, that's a pretty recent game that would be fine just being an eventual NSO inclusion or something when we get to that inevitable stage. It's super modern and doesn't need remastering in anything outside of the graphics, and even that isn't needed.

I agree with many others and think it should be something from much earlier in the 3DS timeline, something that could actually use a sprucing up/modernizing for the Switch line of hardware - Kid Icarus Uprising.

rallydefault

FishyS

rallydefault wrote:

I would be disappointed if it were Link Between Worlds, actually. To me, that's a pretty recent game that would be fine just being an eventual NSO inclusion or something when we get to that inevitable stage. It's super modern and doesn't need remastering in anything outside of the graphics, and even that isn't needed..

But most Switch owners haven't played it so it would be a chance for more people to play the game. Remastering if needed is just a plus on top of availability.

Again, though, this whole rumour of '2 old games coming to Switch in 2025' seems silly to me because I bet there will be more than 2 ports/remakes/remasters; seems like an easy way to have some cross-releases between Switch and Switch 2 . The more good old games are available to a new audience the better I would say. Personally I haven't played Kid Icarus Uprising or Link Between Worlds and I don't own a 3DS, so either or both would be great.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

IceClimbers

@rallydefault A Link Between Worlds released in 2013, almost 11 years ago...

Kid Icarus Uprising isn't that much older either, only about 1.5 years.

rallydefault

@IceClimbers
Years are years, man. Nearly two years is a long time for systems that generally last six or seven.

@FishyS
Link Between Worlds is a fluid, modern game that doesn’t need any remastering. I never said Switch owners shouldn’t/don’t need to play it, it would just fit better as a future NSO title in my opinion.

Uprising would be a much better candidate in terms of updating/tweaking the gameplay for the Switch line.

rallydefault

FishyS

rallydefault wrote:

it would just fit better as a future NSO title in my opinion

I guess I am just very skeptical Nintendo would have 3DS on NSO when they can spend the next few years porting tons of 3DS games and charging large amounts
of money instead. I suppose it depends on what the heck Nintendo's long term plans are with expansion pack because at the moment it doesn't seem like it necessarily has longevity (although they can keep charging us for basic NSO to play Mario Kart and Splatoon and Animal Crossing of course)

FishyS

skywake

@rallydefault
Honestly if they're doing Wii and GC remasters I don't see why 3DS isn't treated the same. It's relatively newer sure but in terms of capabilities it's more or less in the same ballpark. Not to mention it output at 240p so there's a pretty significant win right there....

Obviously Kid Icarus Uprising is the most obvious pick technically. There's basically nothing the 3DS does for this game, other than 3D, that the Switch couldn't significantly improve on. Analogue stick most notably. But that's also true of most 3DS games I'd think

A Link Between Worlds is one of those. Although admittedly low on the scale given it runs fine on 3DS, has an art style that doesn't need the extra pixels, actually uses 3D and benefited from the second screen (from memory, it has been a while). It's also a 2D Zelda so, one analogue stick was plenty

I think it could still make sense and wouldn't be opposed to them doing it. It has been a line while. It just wouldn't be at the top of my list. Plus if they're doing Zelda remakes surely Wind Waker is first.....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

rallydefault

@skywake
I can see them doing some 3DS remakes, obviously - we're getting one next month. I just don't see them going hog wild like they did with the Wii U re-releases. 3DS sold well. Lots of people had that system. It was a system itself that was host to many remakes with Star Fox, Ocarina, DKC Returns, etc.

I think NSO is the better option for most 3DS games in the near future, with Nintendo selecting a prized few to give a true pampering and remastering treatment. And in my opinion, if they did Link Between Worlds, the only thing they'd be doing is sprucing up the resolution. It already has an awesome art style, the gameplay is fluid and modern, it allows for variation in path, there's lots to collect...

It would be a weird game to remake at this point is all that I'm saying.

But then again, as a fan of Luigi's Mansion 2 on my 3DS, I'm skeptical about the value of them putting it on Switch. But I guess we'll all see next month lol

rallydefault

skywake

@rallydefault
Honestly I don't disagree and I think there are other sources they could pull from for more interesting remakes/remasters. Even for Zelda I think before you get to A Link Between World there's the obvious Wind Waker, Twilight Princess but also potentially the N64 titles. And then there's Minish Cap and the Oracle games. Hell, maybe they tackle the DS games somehow?

But as @IceClimbers said, it was released over 10 years ago. So if they were to release a remake of it next year it'll be 12 years between release and the remaster. By comparison, there were 13 years between Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time 3D, 10 years between Wind Waker and Wind Waker HD and 8 years between Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS. Even Skyward Sword was only 10 years before Skyward Sword HD (that was 3 years ago now? How?). So yeah, I don't think it's that outlandish. And again, the 3DS was 240p so as good as any 3DS game looked there's always going to be scope there for making it shinier.....

But yeah, I think there's such a huge well of other stuff they should probably get to first. 3DS would be low on my list of platforms to do remasters from and Link Between Worlds would be low on the list of 3DS games to do. There have been people speculating about Donkey Kong Country Returns.... do that first surely yeah? Or they've done TTYD, why not do Paper Mario or Super Paper Mario?

Or, you know, make a NEW 2D Zelda perhaps?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

StuTwo

In regards to ports/remasters/remakes - my guess would be that even the best 3DS games are going to need more than just a little light touching up. It's probably not worth it in many cases unless the reputation of the game amongst the fans is very strong. I never owned a 3DS but I'd say the really attractive options on the table are:

• Zelda LBW
  • Kid Icarus
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Kirby Planet Robobot
  • Kirby Triple Deluxe
  • NSMB 2
  • Samus Returns

Any of those could do good business on a late life Switch with caveats - one of which is that Samus Returns was already a late life 3DS game that sunk under the weight of the successor console.

Outside of the 3DS I'd say the following are all possible:

• F-Zero GX
  • Metroid Prime 2 & 3
  • Zelda WW HD
  • Zelda TP HD
  • Wario Land Shake it
  • Mario Galaxy 2
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • NSMB & NSMB Wii
  • Fire Emblem (GC and Wii)
  • Excite Truck/Bots
  • Chibi Robo
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • PunchOut (Wii)

They're all games with enough cachet and reputation to generate attention and all good enough to not need comprehensively remaking in terms of gameplay mechanics etc.

I don't see Super Paper Mario within the next 12 months given TTYD
Galaxy 2 is unlikely if there's a new 3d Mario coming in the next 18 months.
I'd expect a future Luigi's Mansion port to be based on the 3DS version for technical reasons.

Looking at my own lists and thinking logically about things I'd suggest that a Fire Emblem port in one shape or another might be quite likely over the next year. Kirby is always a good bet too.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

The 3DS game I'd say would benefit the most from a Switch port is Federation Force. Yes, it was very poorly received but I feel the vast majority of that was "wrong game at the wrong time on the wrong console". Metroid was in a rough spot at the time between Other M and a drought so a co-op spinoff for 3DS being Metroid's return was always going to be poorly received. Meanwhile I feel if Federation Force releases on Switch after Prime 4 (or as part of a bundle with Prime 4), it would be better received.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mana_Knight

I don't know why, but I am throwing a wild card here and saying 'Eternal Darkness' remaster.

Mana_Knight

NintendoByNature

Only a handful of weeks away from our June direct. Surely these rumored 3ds/GC ports will show up there, yes? Looking forward to it for sure. Feels like we haven't had a banger direct in a minute. At least for me. The Feb direct didn't do anything for me, and neither have the recent indie worlds.

NintendoByNature

FishyS

NintendoByNature wrote:

Only a handful of weeks away from our June direct. Surely these rumored 3ds/GC ports will show up there, yes? .

Seems semi unlikely the rumoured 2025 ports would be in this direct which will presumably be about 'Switch games launching in the latter half of 2024'. I mean, one of them might, but 2025 is definitely not going to be the focus. Not to say there won't also potentially be 3ds or gamecube ports coming out this year unrelated to that leak...

FishyS

PikminMarioKirby

The next Direct if it was the best possible (in my opinion):

• Animal Crossing New Leaf HD
  • Luigi’s Mansion 1 HD
  • Kirby Air Ride 2
  • Mario Sluggers Ultimate
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder DLC
  • Pikmin 4 DLC
  • Mario & Luigi
  • Mario Party 11
  • DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Super Smash Bros 64 for NSO
  • 3D Mario tease

I know this is very unlikely and Mario-focused, but this is just what I’d really want to see! I’d be happy if just one of these happened.

Edited on by PikminMarioKirby

If the upcoming Nintendo Direct has a Luigi’s Mansion 1 shadow drop I will change my profile picture to a Dorito

IceClimbers

What's interesting is that out of all the remakes/remasters/ports over the past year or so, none of them have been from N64.

Since the start of last year we've had:

• A GameCube remaster
  • A Wii remake
  • A pair of GBA remakes
  • A pair of GameCube HD ports
  • A SNES remake
  • A collection of a DS remake and a Wii remake
  • A GBA remake
  • A GameCube remake
  • A 3DS remaster

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic