Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 12,721 to 12,740 of 15,860

Grumblevolcano

@Euler Sony and Microsoft are at each other's throats over the Activision acquisition.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bolt_Strike

@GrailUK They're not going to quit cold turkey for sure, but there has to be a decrease. Assigning resources to next gen games means that they have to have less resources working on Switch games. And with the relative lack of output and the number of IPs missing, I think we've already been seeing that decrease. 2020-2022 hasn't been nothing, but it's definitely been less than 2017-2019. There were a ton of games and IPs in the first half of the lineup that have been MIA in the second half of the lineup (2D Mario, 2D Zelda, Yoshi, DK, and Luigi's Mansion, while Mario Kart, 3D Mario, and Smash have been technically supported past 2020 but have not had a full main entry, they've only had DLC, spinoffs, or remakes/remasters). Again, I don't think it's absolutely nothing left, but it definitely feels like the Switch is just getting scraps at this point. For the most part the major new entries have vanished.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Euler

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Euler Sony and Microsoft are at each other's throats over the Activision acquisition.

So? All the more to own the other one on the stage. We all saw how Sony ended Sega's status as a major console developer back at E3 '95.

Euler

FragRed

I think one thing everyone is forgetting regarding next generation hardware from Nintendo and the longer development times for new games etc is that Nintendo is currently constructing a new development block to greatly expand their internal development teams so they won’t require as much outsourcing. I imagine this is going to be to ensure they can keep the frequent release schedule games coming out for the next hardware.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Bolt_Strike

@FragRed Nintendo's always looking to expand their development resources, but how quickly can they create entirely new teams to get more games out? It takes a lot of developers to create an entirely new team because of how much work goes into AAA games, they'd need a good 100+ for that. I do think they've added enough developers to add 1, maybe 2 new teams, but I don't think it's quite compensating for the developers being pulled to next gen right now. In fact I don't think we've even seen any tangible increase in games as a result of those hirings yet. There is a rumor that the EPD Tokyo Team has expanded enough to be able to work on both 3D Mario and DK, but we haven't had an announcement of either IP in the last 2 years so it's hard to say if that's true yet.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Giancarlothomaz

@Fragred @BoltStrike_ since 2019, Nintendo is working to expand it development studios and buy more companies, in the financial report for setembre last, they stated, they gonna spent ¥300milion yen to expand it development studios and buy more companies for them, they are preparing for the Switch sucessor

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

ElRoberico

@Giancarlothomaz I don't think they'd show off anything about new hardware until much later in the year. The schedule hasn't winded down yet. I do think that if there is a June Direct, it would be the one to contain signs that the next console is on its way, like a software drought. The absence of a Direct as well would speak volumes.

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

Anti-Matter

I think we will see Pokemon Direct in late February 2023.

Anti-Matter

Magician

I could see Nintendo cutting the price of the Lite simply to dump inventory of that SKU.

But neither the V2 nor the OLED are getting a price cut this year.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

skywake

@Magician @Giancarlothomaz
A couple of things. Firstly, again, no company is going to telegraph price cuts months in advance that's just a dumb move. If asked directly they're going to deny it every time. It just makes absolutely no sense to effectively tell your potential consumers to wait and not buy your product. Same deal with talk of new hardware, you delay that announcement as long as is feasible and if asked directly put out PR denials

Secondly, there are a LOT of ways you can do a price cut. It doesn't necessarily mean literally selling the exact the same hardware at a lower price. It can also mean releasing a more budget SKU at a lower price point. Like they did with the 3DS late in its cycle with the New 2DS. It can also be done by releasing a higher tier SKU at the same price and discounting the existing SKU to clear inventory.

Personally, I can certainly see room for retiring the v2 SKU from retail, letting the price of the OLED drop to fill the gap and letting retailers clear existing v2 stock. I also think there's plenty of room for a mini-OLED or a Switch Micro. And as a side note, the storage options across the Switch SKUs? They're comically bad. I mean, I can go into a PC retailer and pay $30-40AU for a 256GB SSD or $40-60AU for 512GB and you're charging $450AU for a console but can only fit 32GB of flash in it...... it's a bit of a joke. They could easily 4-8x the storage across all SKUs and still maintain their comically comfortable margin

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

ElRoberico

That should be interesting. I expect more details about previously announced software rather than anything new.

Currently playing: Marvel's Spider-Man

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

Grumblevolcano

There we go, Pokemon Presents confirmed for Pokemon Day (February 27th):

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

The Switch news section is speeding up on going through the MK8 Deluxe DLC tracks:

• February 14th - Wii Mushroom Gorge
  • February 18th - Sky High Sundae
  • February 21st - Tour London Loop

At this rate, the wave 3 tracks will be completed the week beginning March 13th. Do note though that they skipped 2 wave 2 tracks (N64 Kalimari Desert, DS Waluigi Pinball) so they may return to them after completing the wave 3 tracks.

Grumblevolcano

Solaine

So, when do you all think the Zelda direct is gonna happen? If it will happen at all. I am torn back and forth to spoil myself a little with the leaked artbook or contain my excitement in the hope that i am able to see a bit more from the game

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic