Forums

Topic: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Posts 441 to 460 of 627

Eel

it had the main Legend Mode, which was a menu with 18 levels, and the basic Adventure Map with 128 levels.

In terms of literal maps, as in stages, it seems there were 13. Plus one evil version of the first stage.

For comparison, Age of Calamity, from what I could find online, seems to have 20 main story missions, 161 challenge missions, and about 18 unique stages.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

rjejr

@link3710 AoC doesn't even have Adventure mode "maps" though, does it? Unless I just haven't unlocked them yet. My sons have played quite a bit more than I have, I purchased it for them to play co-op, and no maps for them yet either.

@Eel "this game has more characters than the original HW at launch"

Really? Doesn't feel like it. I only played on the Wii U when it launched and the DLC as it released, not the 3DS or Switch versions, but it felt like a few more playable characters. Maybe I just liked the diversity more, Lana, Midna and Agitha, and the character interactions. Feels like these characters have nothing to say to each other except "over there" and "job well done".

https://www.zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/wiiu/characters/

https://www.zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/characters/

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Cynas

@rjejr The adventure map is basically weaved into the main map this time around. In the original hyrule warriors it had the main story mode completely separated from the side missions. AoC does have more side missions than Hyrule Warriors did at launch

The character roster on that site for AoC is much smaller than the real roster, I'm assuming to not spoil the later characters. In total AoC has 18 characters, and there are a couple characters with different weapon types so in total 21 unique playstyles. Hyrule warriors had 13 characters at launch, but a few more characters had multiple weapons, so I think it had around 20 or 21 unique playstles, so roughly the same.

Cia, Volga, and Wizzro were added shortly after launch, but I can definitely see us getting Astor and Sooga soon in AoC, probably with a new story segment for Astor since we don't know much about him.

To be honest I think the character interactions are better in this game. When you do the training missions against certain playable characters, when they're defeated they'll actually reference the character you're using. Same with when you run up to them in a mission, they'll have different lines to thank you for helping out depending on who is saving who. I also appreciate that when switching characters they'll shout each other's names.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

jump

Speaking of Astor, I found it odd they bigged up this game up as being story based but then with Astor they did nothing to explain him leaving a plot thread. If they had replaced him with a BOTW version of say Agahnim or Twinrova you could have inserted them into the game with an explanation of the character already without having to spend the time to explain it.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

link3710

@rjejr Oh! I thought you meant playable battlefields by maps. No, all the content that was on the adventure mode map at launch is on the main map in this game instead.

EDIT: Oh and yes, it's just that the game doles them out slowly through the whole campaign instead of getting almost all of them (at least the story unlockable characters) in the first 6 stages like with HW. So the original has more characters early on, and falls off by the end.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Eel

For dlc, I'm not sure if they'll try to expand beyond BoTW.

I think it could be cool to see them trying to re-tell the stories of other Zelda games using the Botw environments and characters, like they did with the Fire Emblem history maps, plus adding some legacy characters using the BotW art style. Plus costumes for the existing characters of course.

Maybe each big paid DLC could be a new smaller overworld based on other game, with an abridged version of the story/highlights from it told as main chapters and a bunch of challenge missions.

Like imagine Urbosa pretending to be Ganondorf, acting out the monologue from The Wind Waker.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Grumblevolcano

@jump Maybe Astor is the main villain of BotW 2, I could see an outcome where what happened during the calamity in the BotW timeline (not the alternate reality created in Age of Calamity) was the Age of Calamity events just without the time travel stuff so Astor would still be alive.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rjejr

@link3710 Thanks. Reading a lot of the other comments I may have condemned this game prematurely. I suppose the last game threw you right into the thick of things and this one is in it for the long haul. I do miss Lana and Midna. And Epona. And my riding gear weapon. And the cucoos, giant fairy and Gohma. But I'll give it some more time. I am enjoying it, just seems flat compared to the first, which was epic.

@Cynas Thanks for the analysis. As I just said I may have judged this 1 a bit early. I'm used to JRPG taking 15 hours to get going but I know this isn't a 100 hour game so I want more then it starts with. I do expect a $30 season pass w/ lots more, but hope it isn't too long of a wait that I don't go back. Spring and fall would be ok, expecting a PS5 next holiday 2021 so I wouldn't be going back to this after that.

Who knows though, maybe it's 1 and done as they get BotW 2 ready?

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

MarkL1987

Just made it to the start of chapter 6 earlier

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Friend code: SW-4428-8318-9398

nerdface

VH difficulty is much less boring, but not enough to keep me from Hades for more than a day.

Honestly, I thought about selling Hyrule Warriors. Hell, I sold BotW ffs, but mindless action is still at least action. I never had all my weapons broken as punishment for playing AoC...so at least it's legit.

Like, could there be worse game design in botw? You finally find something to kill wandering around in this weak skyrim clone, then you break 20 weapons fighting it. Super fun, nintendo.

Edited on by nerdface

nerdface

Tendo64

Downloaded the demo the other night, really enjoyed it. Will look to pick up the proper game in the next few days. Seems like another great Nintendo exclusive!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

jedgamesguy

Beat the game fifteen minutes ago. Sometimes it feels like a mindless button mash, but it's less so than in Hyrule Warriors. Combat's pretty meaty overall, and despite some questions over the story, it's non-canon at its best! The music is absolutely top notch, and remains criminally faithful to the original sound direction (whilst adding a fast-paced Warriors musical style) as is the voice acting and cinematics. Master Kogha stands out the most as a character who was fleshed out really well, with his dialogue, and his English voice, who deserves an award. Astor was an absolute blast to watch, he was awesome in his delivery and characterisation as an unflinching servant of the Calamity. Could have been fleshed out a bit more, but his appearance at the end gave me chills. Side stuff is pretty shallow but some kind of DLC with a Dark World type map, would be absolutely a must buy. I give AoC a 9/10, not because I necessarily like Warriors games, but because it marks a new beginning for these kinds of crossovers. The quality of this game makes me super excited for what Persona 5 Strikers has to offer, considering it has 40+ hours of solid story content.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

SKTTR

I didn't like the demo.
But after 40 hours with this game, I think it's much better than what the demo is capable of showing.
The biggest problem with a game like this is that it's a slow start until you level up some.
And having one of the biggest stages as the first main mission can be jarring.

First off, the main part of the game, the fighting is so much better than before.
There's always a big story stage accompanied by some smaller stages. That's a nice balance.
It's neat how every character feels special now, and how everyone can do fluid combos with the new fire/ice/electro staffs and the four shiekah modules (both of these new attacks can be upgraded).
The enemy hordes are better animated as well.
No more cutscenes for opening up chests.
Materials get added automatically.
Having Titan missions is a neat extra, although they don't contribute to anything other than story and some rupees.
All in all it's a more streamlined and better experience than the first Hyrule Warriors.

It's obvious that the first game is much bigger with all the DLC and adventure maps, but it's also much more repetitive. And yeah, it would have been great if Age of Calamity had a good framerate like Hyrule Warriors - Definitive Edition, because the big battles in 2p co-op have some heavy stutter. Not a biggie for me! I kill until the framerate recovers.

Music and sound is obviously much better than before. The new renditions of BotW's tunes are just a treat to the ears, compared to the generic rock remixes of HW1.

And the story, well, it's better than I thought. Doesn't disappoint even though it's not the story I expected.

Oh, and the playable characters. I have now 15 of them. Plenty of sweet surprises in there. No pseudo leak and no speculation had seen them coming.

Stuff I didn't like:
Some boxes and barrels look exactly like their destructible counterparts but aren't destructible.
Some sections have invisible walls. They should have put a few more barricades to make it more obvious.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

MarkL1987

I'm stuck on the Each Step Like Thunder mission on chapter six, specifically the part where I have to get all the monsters out of Fort Hateno after capturing the four outposts and activating each outposts' respective device

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey

MarkL1987

Update: I finally managed to pass that mission. Now it's on to the seventh and final chapter.

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey

MarkL1987

Finally beat the game tonight. Was slightly under leveled for the last mission but I managed to pull through. I definitely enjoyed this game.

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey

Mr-Fuggles777

Does anyone know if the multiplayer can be played locally on 2 Switch Lites?
I'm not a massive fan of the warriors series as a solo player game but me and the Mrs quite enjoyed blasting through DW9 on the PS4 and wouldn't mind picking a couple of copies of this up if the coop is decent.

With no Power, comes no Responsibility!

My Nintendo: Badger | Nintendo Network ID: SW-7629-6884-5091

roy130390

I loved the game, but I'm really annoyed that it's another one that doesn't include local co-op between two different systems. Do they seriously expect that two people play split-screen mode on a Switch Lite?

@ChaosBadger777 it doesn't seem that way, which is really, really stupid. I still recommend the game though, it's more deep and challenging than previous entries, and overall a really enjoyable experience with a ton of content.

Edited on by roy130390

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

You know Mipha? Yeah she SUCKS.
See, there is this one mission named Invading Terrors that is required to save Terrako And it is driving me insane. You HAVE to play mipha and destroy a lot a of guardians. Sounds like great fun! But the catch is that YOU ONLY HAVE 10 MINUTES TO DESTROY 17 GUARDIANS! That is so short for destroying 17 guardians that have great defense. Does not help how Mipha is not that fun to play!

I literally turned on easy mode, ate a 10+ attack food, and got all of Mipha's upgrades and STILL Could not beat it.

Edited on by Ferdinand_Von_Aegir

Fire Emblem Three Houses is my favorite game
Ashe is the best character in FE:3H
Waluigi For Smash
The game I want most on switch is a new WarioWare (Welp. we got that!)
My favorite movie is Toy Story 3

Switch Friend Code: SW-0370-6056-2926 | 3DS Friend Code: 3755-1656-4298 | My Nintendo: LatsaSpege

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic