Forums

Topic: New Dune Games?

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

Zidentia

The developer Funcom has signed a six year deal with Legendary studios to create at least three new Dune games. I loved this book trilogy but the movies had a difficult time creating the feel of the authors intent in my opinion. I was hopeful the movies could capture the isolation of the lead characters but it fell short for me. The 1992 Dune game was slightly better than the movie in this regard . While it is still too early to know what consoles they are targeting I would hope the Switch would get some of these titles. It would be a great fit for the switch especially being able to play through the massive Dune landscape in hand held mode because what I felt overall from reading the books was the isolation and constant movement of the characters.

Who else would like/love to play these?

Zidentia

Mountain_Man

An open-world RPG set on Arrakis would be awesome, perhaps in a period some time after the first book when the planet had more varied terrain so it's not just endless desert. There are so many possibilities with all the different houses and factions.

The Mountain Man

Krull

@Zidentia I had a lot of fun with the old 16-bit Dune game. It did some interesting things, and tried to tell the story in an interesting way before ending up turning into a precursor of Command and Conquer. Dune II was good too, even if just took the RTS ball from the original game and ran away with it.

@Mountain_Man I agree: a Fallout 3-style take on Arrakis would be amazing.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Zidentia

Mountain_Man wrote:

An open-world RPG set on Arrakis would be awesome, perhaps in a period some time after the first book when the planet had more varied terrain so it's not just endless desert. There are so many possibilities with all the different houses and factions.

Yes, I agree. That would be a great game

Zidentia

Zidentia

Krull wrote:

@Zidentia I had a lot of fun with the old 16-bit Dune game. It did some interesting things, and tried to tell the story in an interesting way before ending up turning into a precursor of Command and Conquer. Dune II was good too, even if just took the RTS ball from the original game and ran away with it.

@Mountain_Man I agree: a Fallout 3-style take on Arrakis would be amazing.

To each their own. I felt it fell far too short to be a decent representative of the novels.

Zidentia

Krull

@Zidentia Oh, absolutely. But no game compares to a novel when trying to tell a story. For a 16-bit game, which is pretty early in the video game era for decent storytelling (or any at all), it did a decent job. I liked how the gameplay changed as Paul Atreides grew more attuned to spice.

Would it stand up to today’s standards? Nah, probably not. But it was a heck of a good shot for the early Nineties.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Zidentia

Krull wrote:

@Zidentia Oh, absolutely. But no game compares to a novel when trying to tell a story. For a 16-bit game, which is pretty early in the video game era for decent storytelling (or any at all), it did a decent job. I liked how the gameplay changed as Paul Atreides grew more attuned to spice.

Would it stand up to today’s standards? Nah, probably not. But it was a heck of a good shot for the early Nineties.

You are right in the respect that it was a respectable effort. I suppose my expectations were fairly high based in the series but I am hoping this new series of games, if they arrive, are well thought out.

Zidentia

Shiryu

Dune is absolutely huge in my life (case in point) and I would love to see... anything at all at this point really. I have no clue what Funcom can do nowadays with such a huge license, but after EA's take on Star Wars its hard for me to get my hopes up... I hope to be proven wrong.

It is quite amazing how Dune keeps eluding Nintendo systems, even more so when both Dune and Dune 2 made the transition to Sega hardware quite nicely back in the day. There was only one Dune game made exclusively for a Nintendo console, but yet again we were denied of such a (portable) treat: Frank Herbert’s Dune: Ornithopter Assault.

The GBA exclusive game was 100% complete and scrapped before being published. A true shame, but at least it has been preserved. As for the future... let us wait and see.

Edited on by Shiryu

"No Surrender, No Retreat."

Nintendo Network ID: Shiryu

ThanosReXXX

@Zidentia Way back in the day, Dune II was one of my favorite games on the Commodore Amiga, and it was a version which was also superior to console versions of the time. Later, on Windows 98, I played the crap out of Dune 2000, so yes, I would ab-so-lute-ly want to see a new Dune game.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Zidentia

Shiryu wrote:

Dune is absolutely huge in my life (case in point) and I would love to see... anything at all at this point really. I have no clue what Funcom can do nowadays with such a huge license, but after EA's take on Star Wars its hard for me to get my hopes up... I hope to be proven wrong.
That is a great link and I can see your enthusiasm for the series. Lets hope that Funcom studies BOTW to get an idea of how appropriate the Switch would be for these games.

It is quite amazing how Dune keeps eluding Nintendo systems, even more so when both Dune and Dune 2 made the transition to Sega hardware quite nicely back in the day. There was only one Dune game made exclusively for a Nintendo console, but yet again we were denied of such a (portable) treat: Frank Herbert’s Dune: Ornithopter Assault.

The GBA exclusive game was 100% complete and scrapped before being published. A true shame, but at least it has been preserved. As for the future... let us wait and see.

Zidentia

Zidentia

ThanosReXXX wrote:

@Zidentia Way back in the day, Dune II was one of my favorite games on the Commodore Amiga, and it was a version which was also superior to console versions of the time. Later, on Windows 98, I played the crap out of Dune 2000, so yes, I would ab-so-lute-ly want to see a new Dune game.

Wasn't Dune 2000 the RTS type release? I think I did play that one a bit. Perhaps we need to bug the crap out of Funcom to get them to see the fan base is there.

Zidentia

ThanosReXXX

@Zidentia Yes it was, but so was Dune II. Dune 2000 had some decent real life acting in it as well, although it looks quite cheesy nowadays. Kinda like the Command & Conquer games from the same time period.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

  • Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic