Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 261 to 280 of 302

Dogorilla

gcunit wrote:

I'd never played Zelda 1 before today. Booted it and started a game. Saw a black door/entrance nearby. Thought to myself "Do you think I'm stupid Miyamoto? There's no way I'm going in there until I've got myself a weapon" and headed right. Then spent about 5 minutes endlessly running, trying to dodge enemies that I had no way of fighting. Died a few times and eventually found my way back to the beginning screen. Entered the black door/entrance. "I see" I thought to myself, amongst other, expletive-ridden, things.

Ha, that's exactly what I did when I first played the game. I never really made much progress even once I got the sword though... maybe I should try to actually get somewhere with it now it's on the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCyD3XoJgM

Switchcraft

I was 8 years old when the SNES got released and on my 9th birthday I was one of the first from my school to have one. I didn't have the original NES, though, so I am not very connected to the original Famicom. Just rarely did I play the 8bit games with friends (because my SNES was cooler anyway and back then parents actually set a daily definitive 30mins cap).

So all these years, even with loads of emulators on my previous PCs, I have never actually spent time with NES games. So good job, Nintendo, to let me finally catch up!

First off, I am surprised that these are actually fun. But I think most of it is because it's so easy to jump between games and load save states. If I had to reset the console and blow into the cartridge every time, I would probably lose my temper with Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

Second, wow, the games are much harder than I thought. I beat many games on SNES when I was young, but I don't think I would have been able to beat Super Mario Bros. 3 even. I wonder if SMW is actually much harder than I remember and modern games just made me soft.

Thirdly, I think the joy-con works very well! Lack of D-pad is not an issue because these games only register 4 directions instead of 8. The lack of D-pad will probably be an issue with later games.

Edited on by Switchcraft

Gameplay matters.

toiletduck

@Switchcraft Nah SMW just isn't hard. Only some of the levels in the Special Zone are really hard, especially if you don't use tricks to beat 'em (e.g. blue Yoshi to fly over one of the levels.

It's been a while though, so I might come back from this statement if I try again today

toiletduck

FaeKnight

gcunit wrote:

I'd never played Zelda 1 before today. Booted it and started a game. Saw a black door/entrance nearby. Thought to myself "Do you think I'm stupid Miyamoto? There's no way I'm going in there until I've got myself a weapon" and headed right. Then spent about 5 minutes endlessly running, trying to dodge enemies that I had no way of fighting. Died a few times and eventually found my way back to the beginning screen. Entered the black door/entrance. "I see" I thought to myself, amongst other, expletive-ridden, things.

I remember doing that too. I'd thought "Are you crazy? I am not doing a dungeon without a weapon!". This was coming off of playing Dragon Warrior 1 and Ultima: Exodus.

And people, the old men with cryptic clues really do give you all the clues you need to beat the game. There's zero need for a guide. Granted, without a guide of secrets map you'll be farming for bombs a lot. You'll also be leaving the screen a lot so you can use your blue candle again while searching for secrets. Only to curse as the hidden door you just found is some old guy who demands you pay him for the door you just busted... and takes all your rupies.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

FaeKnight

Switchcraft wrote:

First off, I am surprised that these are actually fun. But I think most of it is because it's so easy to jump between games and load save states. If I had to reset the console and blow into the cartridge every time, I would probably lose my temper with Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

As it turns out, blowing into the cartridge wasn't helping at all. In fact it was damaging the cartridge. Similarly other 'tricks' like wiggling the cartridge while it's in the system or pushing down before the cartridge is completely in the system probably actually did more harm then good.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Eagle9

Are these october nes online games live already?

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

FaeKnight

I don't think so, but haven't checked yet. I'm expecting them to release on the 1st though.

FaeKnight

Eagle9

Thanks, here month changed already.

FaeKnight

Eh, it's 4:50 (ish) in the afternoon on the 30th here.

EDIT: I'm beginning to suspect they wont add the new games for the month until the 17th or so. You know, a full month after the service launched.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Eel

To be honest they should probably be adding a new game per week or something...

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

PikPi

Once they get to SNES, then maybe the 3 games a month thing will work out better. But yeah, for NES I do wish it was a bit more than just 3. As long as they don't take any away, though, I think it's pretty okay for now.

PikPi

Benjoo

Hey guys. I'm gonna add a few people on here for some nes multiplayer. Just decline if your not interested. Thanks

Anyone interested. Mine is

SW 6591-7171-4819

Edited on by Benjoo

Benjoo

HobbitGamer

Yeah, it'd even be better perception if they just took 4 games for a month instead of 3, and released 1 per week. If they drop all 3 it's like giving me all my sweets at once. I've got poor self control for games when they're all in front of me, I need adult supervision

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Eagle9

Yep, i don't have yet any good reason why i start to pay Online, until i play some Online game next time.

EvilLucario

The October games are coming on the 10th.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Eel

NES Open Tournament Golf is really good, pretty advanced compared to Nintendo's older Golf game.

It even saves your best plays so you can watch them over and over.

It gets the Yosheel seal of approval.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarthNocturnal

We have the original NES version of Open Tournament Golf. Never was much good at it. The finer nuances of golf always get the best of me.

Still kinda interested in newer Mario Golf games though. If I just devoted enough time...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

FaeKnight

I'm looking forward to playing Solomon's Key again. I liked that game, although I never got to play it much. I was too busy playing stuff like Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior.

FaeKnight

KoenM84

Although I have it on the Original NES, Super Mario Allstars on the SNES and on the NES mini, I never got around finishing the wonderful SMB3. With the save at any time option available, I'm gonna complete it for the first time, 25 years after I played it for the first time. Halfway world 4 now.

For me it still is the best 2D Mario. Enjoying every second of it.

KoenM84

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic