Forums

Topic: Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online

Posts 241 to 260 of 289

Euler

@ReaderRagfish You can’t beat Ganon without a sword, but it’s possible to reach him without one. This is before you could beat him with novelty items like the bug net and fishing rod.

There’s a red ring too (even better than the blue ring) though you can’t get it until level 9.

Edited on by Euler

Euler

gcunit

@shadow-wolf Thanks for the tips, appreciated, but to begin with at least I'm going to try and play it 'naturally' without taking outside help, just to experience it like it was 1986-7.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Gameplay_Matters

What happens if I have an active NSO subscription and then change my country? I tried doing so but the trial blocked me as long as the automatic renewal is enabled. But if I change my country nonetheless, will I lose the remaining time even though I paid for it?

Say I buy 12 months over the South African store, but then switch to my actual location, will I lose all of the NSO services?

Gameplay_Matters

gcunit

@Switchcraft I think you just have to turn auto renewal off.

NintendoPete

HobbitGamer wrote:

From a Verge article, accessing the Famicom Online app.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17878236/nintendo-switch-o...

STEP 1: SETTING UP AN ACCOUNT
In order to access the Japanese eShop, you’ll first need a Japan-specific account. To do this, head over to accounts.nintendo.com and create a new account from scratch. There are really only two things you need to do: set your location to Japan and use a different email address from your main account. Once that’s done, you’ll be prompted to create a new profile on your Switch for the new account.

STEP 2: THE JAPANESE ESHOP
Once the account is set up, you’ll then be able to access Nintendo’s Japanese store; all you have to do is select your new Japanese profile when heading to the eShop. From here, things can get a tiny bit tricky because, well, you’ll be navigating a store that’s mostly in Japanese. Luckily, the app you’re looking for is in the very first section of the store under the “new” header. The app is easy to find: the icon is a bright red rectangle with the title “Family Computer: Nintendo Switch Online” and a picture of a pair of gold Famicom controllers on it. (Normally, I’d include a screenshot here to make it easier to find, but, unfortunately, Nintendo doesn’t allow screengrabs in its digital shop.) It’s free to download, which you should go ahead and do right now.

STEP 3: ACCESSING THE FAMICOM APP
After the app is downloaded, open it — but be careful which account you’re using. In order to actually play the games, you’ll need to select a profile associated with a Switch Online subscription. Thankfully, this doesn’t mean you need to sign up for a second subscription for your Japanese profile. Instead, you can still play the Famicom app using a subscription tied to your North American or European Switch account. From there, you’re free to play.

__

@Yosheel @Octane Is there a way to make this post at the top of this topic or something?

Here in Germany, this is not that easy to do cause you will get an error code.
After creating a Japanese account and linking it to a new profile on your switch, I downloaded a free VPN app on my phone (I selected France) and visited the Nintendo Japan site- where I logged in with my Japanese account and went to this site https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000000850 . Then I downloaded the app and it was installed on the Switch instantly.

Edited on by NintendoPete

NintendoPete

gcunit

@shadow-wolf OMG, compare that electronic manual to that brilliant printed manual. Thanks for that link, jolly decent of you.

shadow-wolf

@gcunit You're welcome! Yes you're right the printed manual is amazing and lovingly crafted. I'm used to manuals from the GameCube era but I didn't realize until now that games had manuals this detailed. I think it's about 110 pages!

shadow-wolf

Dogorilla

gcunit wrote:

I'd never played Zelda 1 before today. Booted it and started a game. Saw a black door/entrance nearby. Thought to myself "Do you think I'm stupid Miyamoto? There's no way I'm going in there until I've got myself a weapon" and headed right. Then spent about 5 minutes endlessly running, trying to dodge enemies that I had no way of fighting. Died a few times and eventually found my way back to the beginning screen. Entered the black door/entrance. "I see" I thought to myself, amongst other, expletive-ridden, things.

Ha, that's exactly what I did when I first played the game. I never really made much progress even once I got the sword though... maybe I should try to actually get somewhere with it now it's on the Switch

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Gameplay_Matters

I was 8 years old when the SNES got released and on my 9th birthday I was one of the first from my school to have one. I didn't have the original NES, though, so I am not very connected to the original Famicom. Just rarely did I play the 8bit games with friends (because my SNES was cooler anyway and back then parents actually set a daily definitive 30mins cap).

So all these years, even with loads of emulators on my previous PCs, I have never actually spent time with NES games. So good job, Nintendo, to let me finally catch up!

First off, I am surprised that these are actually fun. But I think most of it is because it's so easy to jump between games and load save states. If I had to reset the console and blow into the cartridge every time, I would probably lose my temper with Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

Second, wow, the games are much harder than I thought. I beat many games on SNES when I was young, but I don't think I would have been able to beat Super Mario Bros. 3 even. I wonder if SMW is actually much harder than I remember and modern games just made me soft.

Thirdly, I think the joy-con works very well! Lack of D-pad is not an issue because these games only register 4 directions instead of 8. The lack of D-pad will probably be an issue with later games.

Edited on by Gameplay_Matters

Gameplay_Matters

toiletduck

@Switchcraft Nah SMW just isn't hard. Only some of the levels in the Special Zone are really hard, especially if you don't use tricks to beat 'em (e.g. blue Yoshi to fly over one of the levels.

It's been a while though, so I might come back from this statement if I try again today

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FaeKnight

gcunit wrote:

I'd never played Zelda 1 before today. Booted it and started a game. Saw a black door/entrance nearby. Thought to myself "Do you think I'm stupid Miyamoto? There's no way I'm going in there until I've got myself a weapon" and headed right. Then spent about 5 minutes endlessly running, trying to dodge enemies that I had no way of fighting. Died a few times and eventually found my way back to the beginning screen. Entered the black door/entrance. "I see" I thought to myself, amongst other, expletive-ridden, things.

I remember doing that too. I'd thought "Are you crazy? I am not doing a dungeon without a weapon!". This was coming off of playing Dragon Warrior 1 and Ultima: Exodus.

And people, the old men with cryptic clues really do give you all the clues you need to beat the game. There's zero need for a guide. Granted, without a guide of secrets map you'll be farming for bombs a lot. You'll also be leaving the screen a lot so you can use your blue candle again while searching for secrets. Only to curse as the hidden door you just found is some old guy who demands you pay him for the door you just busted... and takes all your rupies.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

FaeKnight

Switchcraft wrote:

First off, I am surprised that these are actually fun. But I think most of it is because it's so easy to jump between games and load save states. If I had to reset the console and blow into the cartridge every time, I would probably lose my temper with Ghouls 'N Ghosts.

As it turns out, blowing into the cartridge wasn't helping at all. In fact it was damaging the cartridge. Similarly other 'tricks' like wiggling the cartridge while it's in the system or pushing down before the cartridge is completely in the system probably actually did more harm then good.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Eagle9

Are these october nes online games live already?

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

FaeKnight

I don't think so, but haven't checked yet. I'm expecting them to release on the 1st though.

FaeKnight

Eagle9

Thanks, here month changed already.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

FaeKnight

Eh, it's 4:50 (ish) in the afternoon on the 30th here.

EDIT: I'm beginning to suspect they wont add the new games for the month until the 17th or so. You know, a full month after the service launched.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

Late

I was hoping we'd get new NES games as soon as the month changes. I was actually looking forwards to playing Solomon's Key for the first time.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

TuVictus

Once they get to SNES, then maybe the 3 games a month thing will work out better. But yeah, for NES I do wish it was a bit more than just 3. As long as they don't take any away, though, I think it's pretty okay for now.

TuVictus

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.