Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Posts 1,701 to 1,720 of 1,843

NEStalgia

Also, what's the best way to practice with new weapons? (I want to toy with the bowguns...though...XX still has desperate gunner/blademaster armor, doesn't it?) I used to do Great Jaggi quests endlessly to practice, but the "minimal" monsters here seem a little too dangerous to freely practice weps.

@JaxonH I played CB a while, and CB feels great in XX! I want to try GL and the bowguns/bows in XX as well. I think what I was feeling with the difference in weps seems specific to the SA. SA just plays really well and combos well in World.....something about it feels wrong in XX. It's clunky and primitive in a way it isn't in World, and somehow, this makes no sense, but feels primitive and clunky in a what that it didn't in 3U either. But CB feels the same.

I fear I'm falling out of love with SA. It was my main in 3U. I loved it. I did some CB in 4. I like it in World, still. But I'm just not feeling it at all in XX. Something just feels "off" about it.

OTOH coming from World, this game is punishing. I only had time for one big monster in coop yesterday so I picked the 1-star Maccao quest. That thing positively wiped the floor with us! I think SA+LS was not a good combo for such a mobile foe, but even so, it was just punishing. I never even got him down to limping status. I suck at MH and I'm not ashamed to admit it, I don't think I've ever made it past 4-star solo quests in an MH game. But this seems even more punishing, in part because I'm coming at 1-star with more MH skill than I've had entering past games.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Oh and the other question for you guys is this: How do you guys deal with liking multiple types of weapons (and the associated dual armor sets for blade/gun) in terms of managing upgrades? That's a lot of grinding if you do guns and blades, and a lot of grinding just to upgrade multiple different weapons you like.

I may (may) hang up my SA, and focus on CB, GL, maybe lance....but also maybe bow and HGB. I also like the IG and DB....but that's just so much to upgrade....

For now I'm just practicing on trash mob quests and grinding cash so I can buy ammo and whetstones with abandon.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii So far z and RP seem interchangeable. I'm getting 2700+ just for mincing a few jaggies + jaggia, etc. But if there's a more efficient route to consumables I'm all for it (pickaxes and nets eat money )

Yeah, I have a hard time choosing because I like all the weps. I like more technical weps, so I can easily rule out GS, LS, SnS, Hammer. I wouldn't touch HH without regularly doing groups so that's out. Used to love SA, but for now, I'm falling out of favor with it. At least outside World which somehow it feels more satisfying there. I love CB and GL. I want to love Lance. I'm starting to really like IG.

Choosing between lance and GL is difficult alone. So similar but so different. I like how lance is a little more aggressive, and you can cover huge ground fast, and get altitude. But it's also a little "vanilla" to me, like GS/LS etc. The complexity of the more technical GL, IG, and CB are engaging to me Not that expert lancing isn't technical in its own right.

If I could pare that to maybe just CB and GL....maaaaybe I could add HBG or Bow....but that second armor kit is frustrating (that's one thing World did really right.)

Out of curiosity, what weapons do you use, and also do you know if anyone on this thread is a lancer? It's always eluded me as this supposedly god tier weapon that everyone in Japan plays and I could never get the hang of.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii I have like 12 mains in Splatoon as well The fact that weps make the game so diverse makes it hard to nail it down to just 2 or 3. I enjoy switching it up.

GS, LS, SnS bore me so badly I never got on with hammers. And HH is just such a support weapon it's not for me. Bow interests me along with HBG...but then the armor sets..... Has it been really annoying to maintain gunner and blademaster gear for you?

That's good info on lance. It's so funny with MH because you can find as many threads talking about how bad a weapon is versus how amazing it is. I think if I go GL+CB main, I'll get kicked out of every single online lobby.

NEStalgia

Roamer

The demo really needs some kind of tutorial or in game help. Are they not interested in appealing to new players?

Switch: Dragon Quest Builders 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles, Shin Megami Tensei
PC: Farming Simulator 22

Zyrac

@Tsurii Umm, hi? I haven't played this game, why am I getting tagged here?

Zyrac

Twitter:

zionich

@Tsurii =P

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

zionich

@NEStalgia I went HBG primarily. I would recommend maybe playing the demo to test out weapons without major investment, except time, until you find one that fits your playstyle. I mainly just buy my ammo from the vendor on half off days and use my trade for the rest.

Farming ammo is a pain imo. That's alot of fishing. If you do decide to fish make sure you get the food skill so they bite on the first bob.

@samuraipanda I am having some connection issues.

Another time @samuraipanda I was having connection problems. Then you were questing, then I was questing lol. Back to work for me.

Edited on by zionich

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Haha, the battles may be not boring but I find the combos and weapons usage of the "vanilla" weapons kind of boring. I don't play shooters in Splatoon, either, opting for chargers, blasters, splatings, rollers. I like technical weapons!

I'm still running the "slay 20 X" quests for weapons practice. Did GL again....I love and hate it, but it's really cool when it's cool. I did something different while GU was down for maintenance and did vanilla lance in World for a Pukei....it went well. I was down to my last antidote and potion. It was slow (though Pukei is slow because he runs away non stop.) I like lance but I don't have a feel for it, and I do miss a more technical element. Went back to GU and did HBG and Bow....I really do like both of them. Ammo management for HBG is kind of a pain though. Bow was pretty fun though I had to go melee with C coatings when cornered a lot. I wish I didn't need a second set of armor as I'd love to have a ranged staple weapon, but I'm not sure it's wise to main ranged and forget blades at this point. I can say that ranged isn't nearly as satisfying in GU as in World with modern shooter controls. I also didn't realize that HBG doesn't have siege mode anymore! Last I tried it it had siege.

Too hard to pick weapons. GL may get laughed at pretty much everywhere but it's pretty cool. CB and IG are overused, but I love those too.

The problem with GL (and CB?) I've heard is it's hard to not be a PITA online and keep tripping everyone

You mean people actually hide in the camp while other players play?!?! I mean....why? How boring is that sitting there for 20 minute quests just waiting for other people to play it? I can't stand battle royale because there's too much waiting! I'd rather play 1-star "slay 20 jaggies" quests forever than sit and stare at the item drop off cat for 20 minutes...at least you get to play with cool weapons

@Roamer Yeah, MH demos are traditionally awful. What was the MH4U demo...they threw you in against a Barioth right away I think. Ouch. World's network test demo had I think a Barioth and a freaking Rathian. Not exactly newbie fare (I was proud to take out that Rathian a few times in that demo! ). The full games start you with "pick 12 herbs", graduates to slaying a dozen tiny monsters like a hack and slash to get a feel, then introduces bigger things like G. Jaggis. Well, ok, MHGU throws you at a G. Maccao, which is, honestly, an annoying first "big" monster.

Some of it is just essential suffering to figure it out though. It's a game that gives you a 1-hour clock to beat one enemy for a reason.

@zionich Technically I'm not an MH noob. I'm an MH veteran that sucks badly and buys every game to only play it a few stars in, but I get better with each one So I know all the weaps overall....it's just impossible to decide on ones to main, and the dual armor set thing always keeps me from ranged Former SA+DB main. I'm bored with SA. I did CB in 4. I'm looking at CB+GL this time, lance and IG have also piqued my interest, but....World got me into Bow and HBG, and I'd love to have one of them in the kit too. So hard to choose. I'd probably go CB+bow or HBG if it weren't for the gunner armor thing.

And @tsurii made me want to give hammer a try again too

NEStalgia

zionich

@NEStalgia I didnt mean to insinuate that you were. My apologies.

I used the same advice I offered to decide on a weapon.

Edited on by zionich

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish Hmm, maybe it was the Generations demo then? I can't remember, I just know that the first thing it did was pit you up against a Barioth. And the World demo with the Rathian, or the Barioth fight in which a wild Rathalos might appear was kind of evil.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Hmm actually have is way more fun thani remember it somehow. Great, ANOTHER weapon to have to decide between! How every will i pick 3?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfish purrfect, prowler it is! Nya!

Seriously i love like 6 weapons.... So sad i have to choose!

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Wow, that stupid G. Maccao is still trashing me. Granted I still have the starter weapons and armor...can't decide what to upgrade. Hammer seems good on him, I had him limping and drooling. I choked bad with GL for some reason after accidentally Wyvern's Firing before charging the gauge but still had him drooling. I tried Lance, got him limping and drooling, but I seem to get carted one too many times every time. I dodge him fine, then he like 3-shots me. I admit this is the roughest start I've had to the large monsters in MH.

I actually love hammer but I'm afraid to main it without cutting action....tails are going to suck. I love lances on paper and against small monsters but I seem to choke like crazy with them against big monsters, I keep trying to dodge roll and forget it's a backstep.

SnS....I hacked and hacked at even little jaggies and it seems to never kill them. I have never liked SnS and I still can't get over how slow it kills things at least until you get more powerful ones maybe.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Good to know....I've been exclusively using them, and have never had anywhere near that rough a start with any MH game. MH3 (my first) gave me trouble on GJ until I learned the ropes, and then didn't have more real trouble until Lagi. (Unrelated note, Lagi is back in XX...Huh? But isn't he an underwater monster? )

There's a very masochistic part of me that is looking at the one weapon I've never seriously tried: HH. Some say it's support and not really viable for solo (or, presumably 2p coop)....other's say it's arguably better than hammer.... I love the GL but hate it's lack of side-hop/roll which gets me hit when I shouldn't have. I like lance but find "X-X-hop-X-X-hop" dull (and it took forever to get Pukei win World), CB is an instant win for me....technical, complex, flashy, and good performer. I love the HBG and bow but I can't fathom crafting dual armor sets. I love IG. I surprisingly love hammer (could get dull?)

I think tonight I'm going to try some HH love. And then...maybe...figure out something to upgrade...because those weapons are really painful to take any big monster with.

Edit: I know you mentioned Adept lance etc, but for now I'm going guild style and sticking with fundamentals before I start going for the new systems.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii He's probably not nearly as bad on all land. But memories of Lagi underwater are I think what made me finally put MH3 away for good. I hate, hate, hated those battles with a burning passion. It was a miserable experience I dreaded to grind. Seeing Lagi back did not make me happy. So long as they never include underwater battles again, I'm ok. What kind of suicidal hunter would face water creatures underwater in their natural habitat they're biologically designed for? Chasing flipping dragons on land with a pointy stick and buckler is a stupid enough idea. Chasing sea serpents underwater as a primate with the same pointy stick and buckler is not a very smart choice at all.... no gourmet meal prepared by a cat can fix that.

Ohhhh, that's it, I'm trying out the horn! I love playing the underused weapons (Ok CB is just awesome even if it's overused....)

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii Also, with hammers and horns....how do you deal with collecting tails?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Tsurii So if going hammer/horn you still need a blade/explosive weapon of some sort, or deal with captures (which is probably my least favorite part of MH.) Not a huge deal, I'm not giving up on CB or and either one of the lances still, or IG. But I think either HH or hammer has to enter my repertoire.

NEStalgia

zionich

@FattyWhale_42 Was sweating of we were going to make that before Ibhad to head to the bus stop. Wow, that's an awesome fight. The funny thing it starts off like... that's it.

FattyWhale_42

@zionich Haha! And it was a good thing I ate for Insurance, or it wouldn't have mattered.

FattyWhale_42

Switch Friend Code: SW-4410-3079-4430

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic