Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,641 to 3,660 of 4,706

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
That's because it's not really the same thing, even if it may seem that way to the untrained eye.

When I used to pitch MH to new players the #1 selling point was always that you could hunt the same monster 50 times and have 50 completely different experiences every single time, due to the hunts being so dynamic.

And, with 46 monsters in the game, it's not like ppl just pick one monster and hunt it 50 times. They play new Quests 1-2 times and move to the next quest. And different Quests provide far more variation from hunt to hunt. Different areas, different other monsters, different spawning areas, different outcomes. So ya. It feels fresh.

To me it's insane to burn through a game in 50 hrs skipping over 75% of the Quests, but I understand some ppl just burn through content like a crackhead on payday and move onto the next game, and the next game. And that's fine

But for ppl who are genuine hard-core fans of the series, there's no reason to abandon the game so quickly when every hunt feels like a brand new experience, especially in 6-7 different locals bouncing between nearly 50 different monsters, and most importantly, when the game is just super fun to play. Maybe that's something you can't relate to, but there's a lot of ppl who enjoy the entertainment value of fun gameplay.

I could never grind Destiny 100 hrs because it's all the same. Shooting guns. Whereas with MH the 14 different weapon types provide near limitless content that feels entirely different from weapon to weapon. I've seen ppl who are going to replay the entire game on Steam with a new weapon, just because it feels so differently. I'm not up for that because I don't wanna lose my talismans and be tethered to the TV. But I can appreciate the sentiment.

I feel like you are really overselling how much variance there is in MH. Most monsters in MH have very rigid AI, set patterns for you to learn and master to beat the monster, so by that very design, there can't be a huge amount of variance from one battle to another. This feels even more true in Rise where they made environments much smaller and with no environmental events off the top of my head. You do get turf wars, but as far as I know there are no invasions in Rise to see new monsters combo together, like there were in previous games. There is absolutely no way you'll have "50 unique experiences" fighting the same monster, you'd be lucky to have five fights with any variance at all.

You are right that you can make it feel different by bringing a different weapon to the table and I did do that. I played around with Longsword, Hunting Horn and Switch Axe. But when I stopped unlocking anything new, I moved on. I certainly didn't leave the game "75% unfinished". I've cleared basically everything except those ultra hard apex missions, because to me there is no point and I've fought every monster in the game at least once, but many multiple times in the name of making gear.

I ain't going to get into some argument with you about "true fans" because only absolute losers try and make those arguments.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Snatcher

@Pizzamorg MH is just that type of game, you play, you have your fun, you stop playing.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I don't. If the variation wasn't there I wouldn't still be playing. The fact I am kinda puts my money where my mouth is.

Just because the monster has a set of moves doesn't mean the fight plays out the same way. There's infinite degrees of freedom with respect to how fights play out. They never repeat themselves. The general structure of battle is the same but the details of how it plays out never, ever repeats the same way twice.

You could rightly say for you it doesn't feel that way, but you've said that many times before. I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd time we've had this discussion, in fact.

And I said nothing to insult you or offend you. It's simply a fact that certain ppl have a bigger passion for certain games. And ppl who have a massive passion for a game will have a higher proclivity to play it longer and get more out of it. That wasn't some 3rd grade, "you're not a real fan" insult, it's a legitimate observation and the likely explanation for why I don't get tired of this game as quickly. Because I am a massive fan. Has nothing to do with being a "true fan" and those words never came out of my mouth.

But your resorting to calling me a loser? I don't even know what to say. I've done nothing to insult you and now I'm being called names?

Given this is the 3rd time you've butted in to have this same argument with me and tell me how wrong I am for still enjoying the game, it seems to me you're offended by it. And when I try to give a reasonably well thought out explanation for why that may be... why I'm not tired of the game, so that you can finally drop this and just respect the fact I'm not you and let me enjoy the game without telling me over and over and over again how you just can't keep playing (which I know, I heard you the last two times you told me in great detail, not sure why you're telling me all over again), now I get called names.

What is your problem, man?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
I don't. If the variation wasn't there I wouldn't still be playing. The fact I am kinda puts my money where my mouth is.

Just because the monster has a set of moves doesn't mean the fight plays out the same way. There's infinite degrees of freedom with respect to how fights play out. They never repeat themselves. The general structure of battle is the same but the details of how it plays out never, ever repeats the same way twice.

You could rightly say for you it doesn't feel that way, but you've said that many times before. I'm pretty sure this is the 3rd time we've had this discussion, in fact.

And I said nothing to insult you or offend you. It's simply a fact that certain ppl have a bigger passion for certain games. And ppl who have a massive passion for a game will have a higher proclivity to play it longer and get more out of it. That wasn't some 3rd grade, "you're not a real fan" insult, it's a legitimate observation and the likely explanation for why I don't get tired of this game as quickly. Because I am a massive fan. Has nothing to do with being a "true fan" and those words never came out of my mouth.

But your resorting to calling me a loser? I don't even know what to say. I've done nothing to insult you and now I'm being called names?

Given this is the 3rd time you've butted in to have this same argument with me and tell me how wrong I am for still enjoying the game, it seems to me you're offended by it. And when I try to give a reasonably well thought out explanation for why that may be... why I'm not tired of the game, so that you can finally drop this and just respect the fact I'm not you and let me enjoy the game without telling me over and over and over again how you just can't keep playing (which I know, I heard you the last two times you told me in great detail, not sure why you're telling me all over again), now I get called names.

What is your problem, man?

My problem?

"some ppl just burn through content like a crackhead on payday and move onto the next game, and the next game. And that's fine

But for ppl who are genuine hard-core fans of the series"

???

How do you want me to take this childish BS?

Other than you just completely overselling and flat out making up the merits of a game, seemingly in the aim of trying to even what? Change my mind on a game I already love? But of course you love it more because you put more hours in, what kind of childish nonsense is this? You want the top fan badge? You can have it, you don't need to tell me how genuine I am or how much passion I have, about the series, because I know. And then you tell me to stop having the same conversations? Just respect my opinion and stop sending me essays every time I bring up my opinion then and the conversation will just move on. Your ridiculous hyperbolic statements are objectively not true will never change my mind.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
???

Take it for what it is, what else? I just explained to you exactly what I meant by that. And it wasn't some grade school dig, it was a genuine explanation that hey, I'm a really big fan of the game, just like I'm a big fan of DKC Tropical Freeze, which I just beat for the 3rd time. Why? Because I'm a big fan. Do most others beat it 3 times? Probably not. But I did, because I love it. Likewise, I love this game. Maybe that's why.

What is the issue you're seeing here? I'm not following...

And I'm not trying to convince you of anything other than to please stop haggling me over continuing to play the game. I'm not trying to convince you to keep playing, I'm trying to convince you to LET ME keep playing without constantly telling me over and over again how the game doesn't have content, can't keep playing, Yada Yada, same thing you said last time.

I simply dropped a post asking if anyone wanted to hunt these hard quests. If you're done playing, don't respond! I don't need Lecture #3 on how the game doesn't have end game and you need rewards and all that. I heard you the last several times.

Holy ****

Like every time I post about a game I'm actively playing I get a broken record sermon on why Rise doesn't have enough incentive to keep playing. I get harassed repeatedly and told how wrong I am for playing a game I'm still playing every time I post about it. I'm not trying to convince you I'm a "super fan", I'm trying to convince you I HAVE A RIGHT TO PLAY A GAME I WANT TO PLAY. And because I'm repeatedly attacked for it, I'm trying to justify WHY I'm still playing, since that doesn't seem to compute for you. Maybe it's cause I love the game? One thing I know for certain, its not because I'm an idiot and just like repeating the same thing over and over cause I have nothing better to do, which is what you keep implying.

For God's sake please just stop lecturing me about the game's content not being enough every time I post.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
???

Take it for what it is, what else? I just explained to you exactly what I meant by that. And it wasn't some grade school dig, it was a genuine explanation that hey, I'm a really big fan of the game, just like I'm a big fan of DKC Tropical Freeze, which I just beat for the 3rd time. Why? Because I'm a big fan. Do most others beat it 3 times? Probably not. But I did, because I love it. Likewise, I love this game. Maybe that's why.

What is the issue you're seeing here? I'm not following...

And I'm not trying to convince you of anything other than to please stop haggling me over continuing to play the game. I'm not trying to convince you to keep playing, I'm trying to convince you to LET ME keep playing without constantly telling me over and over again how the game doesn't have content, can't keep playing, Yada Yada, same thing you said last time.

I simply dropped a post asking if anyone wanted to hunt these hard quests. If you're done playing, don't respond! I don't need Lecture #3 on how the game doesn't have end game and you need rewards and all that. I heard you the last several times.

I asked you if it had new rewards. It did not. The discussion moved on generally, nothing was directed at you. You replied to me directly, bringing yourself into the conversation of your own choice. If you are replying to me directly and then feel that this somehow stops you from playing the same content over and over again then I dunno what to say?

But you can get out of here with that "I am a true fan" rubbish, this isn't a school playground.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I've told you 3 times now I said nothing of the sort of being a "true fan"

Your insistence on continuing this tells me you're actively looking to be a victim here. When someone clarifies their statement and makes it abundantly clear THAT IS NOT WHAT IM SAYING, and you continue to say it is, you're not only being willfully ignorant you're being downright childish

Pizzamorg

@JaxonH whatever helps you bro. I'm done discussing your delusions with you.

Either way, as I said. You can clear every monster the game has to offer, make multiple sets and weapons in around 50 hours, with just an unnecessary grind to get the final monster. No "rushing around like a crackhead" required.

So for me I love the levelling experience, it was my GOTY last year but the end game basically offers nothing, it won't sustain you, unless you like playing the same stuff over and over or just doing hard quests for the bragging rights but neither are a meaningful endgame to me.

I can't wait for Sunbreak to introduce proper end game to the game for the first time.

JaxonH

Removed - inappropriate language

Pizzamorg

The PC reviews for Rise were kinda what I expected. The game is clearly designed for the Switch first, so no amount of high res textures and other such things are going to change that reality.

However, personally, while Rise may seem significantly stripped down and basic side by side with say World on PC, I actually think Rise stripped out a lot of the crap from MH for a better experience. That even includes environments, like they may be small and kinda lifeless etc, but at least I always know exactly where I am and can always stay on the monster. World's biomes may be more visually impressive, but trudging around those and getting constantly lost was not fun at all.

Plus, I guess the fact that it is a game always designed with the Switch in mind, should mean lower end/older PCs should have a better time being able to run Rise at a high FPS than they would have with World.

Apparently the game does feel nice running at a higher FPS, but many aren't sure that is value enough for those who have already invested time.

JaxonH

Even though I told myself I wasn't buying Monster Hunter Rise on PC unless they implement cross save, I bought it anyways. Guess my love for the series and desire to support it in every way possible overrode my resentment toward Capcom.

Not that I plan to play it through again. Maybe down the line once SteamDeck is released. But I did spend a few hours getting all the radial menu stuff set up, Custom shoutouts and stickers, option settings, etc. All matches the Switch version save file now.

Mouse maps to gyro very well, though you can't turn the camera with the right analog while simultaneously using Gyro. You can, but it stutters. Not really an issue, since you don't really need to use both at the same time. Using a Dualsense, mapped gyro to activate with ZL, just like Switch.

Running 4k 60fps in HDR mode on max settings as high as they go. Could probably do 120fps but I keep VRR turned on and have it set for 60fps, so I don't bother going above that anymore.

It looks really nice and clean. But you can still tell it's a Switch game at its core.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

For any Dualsense Players on PC, I made the ultimate gyro aiming controller config in Steam Input.

Untitledimage uploader

This config adds mouse gyro in two action sets- the first is for blademasters and only activates with L2. For gunners and glaive users, it has a separate action set where both L2 and R2 activate gyro.

Simply double click R3 to toggle between them. Now you can enjoy all weapon types without changing your configs each type you swap between melee and ranged/glaive.

Should also work for Dualshock 4, but you'll need to search for configs of different controller types.

For those who don't know, open Steam in Big Picture Mode, then launch MH Rise. Press the Home Button in game to pull up the Steam Input menu and select "Controller Configuration". You'll see a diagram of your controller. Press Square to browse configs, select "Community" and find the config shown above. Select it, then press Square to apply it.

Enjoy!

JaxonH

Yo!

The guy who made MHRise Companion app is giving away free unlock codes for the full, no-ads version. With the absence of a MHR DB app from Gathering Hall Studios, this is a perfect substitute. It's decked out. Normally it would cost $9.99 to unlock everything but these codes (while they last) unlock it all.

Redeem code in app store. For Google Play, hit your profile icon in top right, go to Payments and Subscriptions, then Redeem Code.

Choose a code near the bottom of the list to ensure you get one that hasn't been used.

edit

All codes claimed

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

So I've been using the Greatsword in my PC playthrough, the weapon can still be kinda frustrating to use but a lot of the frustration is circumvented by the wirebug and can be lessened depending on the Switch skills you use. Like that one where it like launches you into the air and down again, that ***** misses like 99% of the time, the air hangtime is simply way too long or even like that move from World, needing to land two very slow, wind up, moves back to back to do maximum damage is super impractical. Especially in this game where every monster is like on fast forward to counter the wirebug mobility.

However, what I love about this weapon, is everyone expects you to miss like 90% of the time anyway, lol. And that 10% will probably still out damage the majority of the people on your team anyway. It is such a forgiving weapon, in that regard. Like you go ahead and swing at the floor for ten straight minutes, because that one hit... boy.

Pizzamorg

Another takeaway from my Greatsword PC playthrough is I forgot just how transformative Switch Skills are. Like at End Game you kinda forget how depowered you are at the beginning. It is really when the new Switch Skills unlock that everything falls into place, the game really opens up and becomes truly fun. If you've not gotten on with the Greatsword in Rise, I feel you, but unlock Adamant and Rage Slash, then come back to me and say you ain't still feelin' it.

roy130390

Does anybody know if Velkhana will be in the DLC? I want it's armor set.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

iLikeUrAttitude

Booting this game up for the first time in months.
Some event quests, new monsters and friends convinced me to try and pick up this game again.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Snatcher

@iLikeUrAttitude That is what I love about MH, you can leave it alone once you get your fill, and just boot it back up whenever you feel like it, not saying other games don't have this, but MH is just that type of game.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

JaxonH

@roy130390
DLC monsters are finished for the base game. We'll get new monsters with Sunbreak but we don't know which ones yet, barring the vampire one, the werewolf one, and Shogun Ceanataur.

@iLikeUrAttitude
I picked it up recently too, just got the Universal Studios Japan armor, and I started a new playthrough on PC- just beat Magnamalo in Village Quests.

I love this game because once you've had your fill and take a break, you can come back, grab a new weapon (I'm now using Insect Glaive on PC instead of Switch Axe, Charge Blade, Gunlance and Hunting Horn on Switch) and it feels like a brand new experience. Especially with all the new Quests that have been added in.

I can't wait for Sunbreak!

roy130390

@JaxonH Thanks! I really hope that they include him. I didn't play World so I haven't faced him yet (not counting Stories 2).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3916-4876-1970

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic