Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter Rise

Posts 3,561 to 3,580 of 4,706

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Invincible Gambit is the best, imo. Not just for Switch Axe but one of the best of any weapons in the game. That super armor let's you barrel through roars and close distance easily, all for 1 wirebug.

Nonetheless, it's good to unlock all Switch Skills in case something lends itself more to your playstyle.

For Tier 1, just get to 4 Star Quests in the Hub.

For Tier 2, you must craft or upgrade a weapon type 8 times.

For Tier 3, talk to Master Utsushi in the Hub if he has a yellow speech bubble, and he'll give you Quests for the first set of 4 weapons (assuming you've reached tier 2 on each one). Then accept the quest and beat it. For Switch Axe the quest is 4 star, called "Study the Switch Axe".

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

Yeah, the Invincible Gambit reminds me so much of the Sakura Slash. That may not have been “meta”, but I actually thought it was so much better, overall. The ability to keep constant pressure on, have a high damage move I could always pull out. I am convinced I still did more damage overall in a hunt using that, even if the move itself may have done less damage individually.

And thank you, I’ll go make myself a bunch of Switch Axes then. My family are getting ready to go out, so I won’t join your lobby as I don’t want to have to potentially abandon you mid quest.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
No worries. I've got off all week.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

So I tried the Soaring Move, I heard the benefit was because you could chain it off the Discharge pushoff but I couldn't seem to pull it off, so I'll stick with Invincible. Invincible plus overhead plus regular discharge seems best to me.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Ya, it's a nice party trick in the rare scenario you can pull it off, but practically speaking, Invincible Gambit is on another level. Still, it's nice having options to change up your playstyle once in a while.

Pizzamorg

I’m jumping on now for maybe an hour or so if anyone is around.

JaxonH

Ah, missed the message

Pizzamorg

I keep missing everyone! I can play now though if people are around. I wanna do the Almudron event so I can give my Hunter Waifuu some leather slacks, haha.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Lobby open. Same pass 5477. Can also add my Hunter Connect too for the future

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
We can do that quest. We'll just alternate picking Quests. I just used a meal ticket though cause I was about to take on that massive killer Magnamalo

Also, Discord invite link here for easier texting and potential chat in the future

https://discord.gg/njbNPASF

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

Holy *****, I died A LOT. Like way more than usual. I apologise.

I haven’t played this game in months and I just tossed together this Switch Axe build today/only started using the SA today, so those super hard versions of Elder Dragons were ROUGH lol. I also found it harder with only two because the agro just doesn’t let up. With four the monster may be stronger, but I actually get some breaks to do combos lol.

Still had lots of fun though, I love this game and the SA is tonnes of fun. I dunno how useful the exhaustion actually was, I didn’t really notice anything from it, but apparently it is the best Phial to have. I dunno how often I bumped you around, probably a lot lol but I was having fun mounting and discharging in their faces lol.

I also missed the Discord link, I’ll add that for future as trying to type in game sucks lol.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
No worries. Those quests are meant to be end game end game- I'm using a mixed set that's maxed out, with a charge blade that offers Defense +40 (naturally had +20, and I added a rampage skill, Defense II, for another +20), and I was drinking mega armorskins the whole fight, and I brought 3 lifepowders and 2 dust of lifes to heal you in a jam... That's what it takes to survive these last 10-15 Event quests against massive elder dragons and apex monsters.

With a little shopping around, you may be able to find a good Switch Axe that offers extra defense, and also happens to have a rampage skill for even more extra defense. And you can gem in Defense in your skill slots up to Level 7, which would probably be far more useful in those fights than whatever skill is sacrificed to make room for it.

I learned you can use wireless keyboards on Switch. So easy to type in game. I ordered a special joycon grip with chatpad in the middle, but until that arrives, I've just been plugging in my wireless dongle for my Logitech keyboard- it only works when plugged into the side of the dock- specifically, the upper USB slot. You still have to open the free chat menu in game, but once the keyboard pops up, the physical keyboard activates and works for typing.

But Discord is definitely easier. Plus, you can voice chat if you have the right equipment. They sell Homespot Pro bluetooth adapters on Amazon that sync to two devices, and mixes Discord on phone with bluetooth headset, but I use an Arctis 9 wireless that connects to Switch wirelessly via dongle, then connects to the phone over bluetooth for Discord, and it mixes the audio. Very handy to have for Discord chatting on Switch.

Don't worry about flinching. I wear a Flinch Free jewel to ensure I don't get knockback from friendly fire. I usually just assume everyone else wears a single flinch free jewel as well. If you don't though, I highly recommend it. All it takes is a single level 1 gem slot and you're covered.

Not sure about the exhaust phials. I usually tend to prefer power phials (I love Switch Axe, I mained most of the game with SA- it's sooo good in Rise), but I'll use just about anything if the sharpness, damage, affinity and slots come correct.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
No worries. Those quests are meant to be end game end game- I'm using a mixed set that's maxed out, with a charge blade that offers Defense +40 (naturally had +20, and I added a rampage skill, Defense II, for another +20), and I was drinking mega armorskins the whole fight, and I brought 3 lifepowders and 2 dust of lifes to heal you in a jam... That's what it takes to survive these last 10-15 Event quests against massive elder dragons and apex monsters.

With a little shopping around, you may be able to find a good Switch Axe that offers extra defense, and also happens to have a rampage skill for even more extra defense. And you can gem in Defense in your skill slots up to Level 7, which would probably be far more useful in those fights than whatever skill is sacrificed to make room for it.

I learned you can use wireless keyboards on Switch. So easy to type in game. I ordered a special joycon grip with chatpad in the middle, but until that arrives, I've just been plugging in my wireless dongle for my Logitech keyboard- it only works when plugged into the side of the dock- specifically, the upper USB slot. You still have to open the free chat menu in game, but once the keyboard pops up, the physical keyboard activates and works for typing.

But Discord is definitely easier. Plus, you can voice chat if you have the right equipment. They sell Homespot Pro bluetooth adapters on Amazon that sync to two devices, and mixes Discord on phone with bluetooth headset, but I use an Arctis 9 wireless that connects to Switch wirelessly via dongle, then connects to the phone over bluetooth for Discord, and it mixes the audio. Very handy to have for Discord chatting on Switch.

Don't worry about flinching. I wear a Flinch Free jewel to ensure I don't get knockback from friendly fire. I usually just assume everyone else wears a single flinch free jewel as well. If you don't though, I highly recommend it. All it takes is a single level 1 gem slot and you're covered.

Not sure about the exhaust phials. I usually tend to prefer power phials (I love Switch Axe, I mained most of the game with SA- it's sooo good in Rise), but I'll use just about anything if the sharpness, damage, affinity and slots come correct.

I think I ended at 3/7 Crit Eye. Maxed out Power Prolonger and Evade Extender. 2/3 for Stamina Thief, Razor Sharp and Divine Blessing. Then a bunch of ones for just random spare skills on pieces like Agitator, Crit Boost, Evade Window, Free Meal and Rapid Morph. Bit of a mess, but the best I could do over a couple of hours. Hence not investing in maxing out the pieces of it all. I might look into some defence boosting pieces, see where I can fit in. Can I make decorations for that, too?

I think the Diablos Switch Axe offers higher damage and higher defence bonus, but negative affinity and very low sharpness. However, if I add in that blunt booster skill and something to offset the negative affinity, do you think that one would be better?

I didn’t have any armour skins with me, I always seem to be starved for crafting ingredients in this game but I brought plenty of potions. Didn’t really help when I was getting one shot twice in a row though, lol.

Pizzamorg

I ended up making that Diablos Switch Axe. Made a couple of new pieces to suit it. Got absolutely wrecked on the various Apex Event Quests that have been added recently - although it usually ends up being the randos that eat up the majority of the cards. I still banged out a bunch of the others that give you like stickers, gestures or like a Sonic costume or whatever. I’m still only like HR 65 I think? So still a long, long, way until I get to the final monster. I still need to technically grind for money so I can max out my pieces and maybe take on these Apex monsters, but the excitement for me was putting the build together, now I am mostly back to mindlessly grinding I’m starting to lose motivation again.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Ya, I used Diablos charge blade and ran Handicraft +3 alongside Razor Sharp +3 to make it viable.

Keep in mind, negative affinity (think it's-30% for Diablos weapons) only equates to 7.5% less damage in total. For Switch Axe the Diablos weapon is only -15% which is half that amount. That's like 10 less damage on a maxed out weapon, which likely has higher raw which more than compensates. The only issue is sharpness if you aren't running handicraft and Razor sharp. Charge Blade is at least viable with Handicraft but the Switch Axe has virtually no blue and white.

But adding in the blunt skill will definitely make the green sharpness more vSharp. But even if it doesn't do quite as much damage as another weapon, the fight takes what, an extra minute? If the defense from the weapon keeps you alive, that's a tradeoff worth making.

And yes, defense gems are super easy to make, only require Level 1 slots. As for ingredients, try to grab might seeds and adamant seeds when out in the maps- I gather anything and everything I run across. Then start farming them by ordering items with Rondine for more, which can also be done with your housekeeper. Also may want to start crafting and stockpiling lifepowder and dust of life for multi-player. When everyone brings healing items for the group, it helps a ton.

Also, did you buy the armor charm and power charm from the market? And if so, did you craft them into an armor talon and power talon afterwards? They stack, too. So always keep one armor talon, armor charm, power talon and power charm in your item pouch for extra defense and attack power.

If you're looking to craft a nice Switch Axe set, allow me to share my Defense Switch Axe mix set and skill list as inspiration

Equipment

• Diablos SwitchAxe [Def +35] (x1 Defense)
  • Almudron Helm S (x2 Jumping)
  • Almudron Mail S (x1 Brace)
  • Almudron Vambraces S (x2 Steadfast)
  • Tigrex Coil S (x1 Steadfast, x1 Razor)
  • Damascus Greaves (x1 Grinder)
  • Absolute Petalace
  • Talisman (x2 Grinder, x1 Handicraft)

Skills WITHOUT Talisman

• Earplugs Lv. 2
  • Handicraft Lv. 2
  • Razor Sharp Lv. 3
  • Stun Resistance Lv. 3
  • Speed Sharpening Lv. 1
  • Rapid Morph Lv. 3
  • Evade Window Lv. 2
  • Evade Extender Lv. 2
  • Power Prolonger Lv. 1
  • Defense Boost Lv. 1
  • Flinch Free Lv. 1

If you add in the best Talisman you have to boost those skills, you can do even better. I also have Quick Sheath Lv. 3, Speed Sharpening is maxed out at Lv. 3 instead of at Lv. 1, and Earplugs are at Lv. 4 instead of Lv. 2.

In order to get the high defense (I'm at 495 defense for this Switch Axe set pre-meal), you need to add the Defense II rampage skill to the Diablos Switch Axe, and carry the armor talon and armor charm, and have all your equipment maxed out and matching the set listed above. With meals and armorskin drinks added in, it goes even higher.

There are other Switch Axes with defense boosts though. The Golden colored Conqueress (at least that's its name fully upgraded), the Fall Drache, Czar Switch Axe, etc. I would recommend upgrading the Ore Tree line into the Ore Tree II line to Conqueress. Massive blue sharpness, 30 defense once Rampage skill is applied, 3 Lv. 1 slots, and exhaust phial. But make sure you start from Ore Tree I and apply the Defense Boost II rampage skill BEFORE upgrading into Ore Tree II. It's not available on the Ore Tree II line. But if you start from the beginning of Ore Tree I, apply it right away, then upgrade into Ore Tree II, youll keep the Defense rampage skill.

If you add 3 Defense Jewels into the 3 Level 1 slots on that Switch Axe, you'll get 5% bonus defense +10 extra. Which amounts to like, +35 Defense just from the gems, on top of the +30 Defense from the Switch Axe. That's a massive +65 defense in total using the Conqueress Switch Axe.

Edited on by JaxonH

Pizzamorg

I went for a Bludgeoner focus instead. It might mean less damage overall, but not needing to worry about constantly sharpening my weapon is so nice as the Diablos axe has a massive chunk of green. I also ran a bunch of is it crit eye? The affinity boosting skill, to make that negative infinity into a positive. So high raw, high affinity and able to sustain damage as you aren’t having to stress about staying in the blue or white or whatever.

I will grind out some defence gems to slot across my armor though, most of my gear only has level one slots and nothing to put them in, so if they are level one gems, just makes sense.

I do think I bought the Armor and Power Charms as I learnt that from World, but I am not sure if I ever did upgrade them to Talons or even know how?

I also didn’t know about the defence boosts requirements, so I have already made a Conqueress but I just jumped straight into Ore 2, I didn’t start from the bottom.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Ya, you can't get the Defense II rampage skill unless you start at the beginning. Can always undo and tear it down to get materials back, and then redo it. I would. Definitely worth getting that Defense +30 on there.

To craft armor and power talons, you simply do it at your item box where you craft everything else. Manage Items > Crafting List, and you'll see the option on Page 10, entries 93 and 94. It actually requires an Ibushi Claw+, not a Bazelgeuse claw. I was getting mixed up from World. You'll want to own two of each of the charms- 2 armor charms and 2 power charms, so you can craft an armor talon and power talon out of 1 of them, and keep all 4 in your item pouch for maximum effect.

Also, just FYI, affinity is good, but I'm not sure if the bang for buck is there. What I mean is, regardless of where your affinity is, be it negative or positive, gemming in affinity is simply adding a fixed percent of damage to your output. Each critical eye gem only increases your damage output by 1.25% which equates to like, an extra 3 damage at best. Imo, that's not worth it, even if you have deep negative affinity, because the benefits don't change regardless of what your affinity is. Attack gems do +3 damage, only they have the advantage of giving higher bonuses at Level 4 and up, whereas Crit Eye doesn't. I'm a math person, so I'm always doing calculations to see just how beneficial some of these things are, and I've learned a lot of skills ppl champion aren't as good as they might suspect. To me, I'd rather have a larger evasion window or quick sheathing than a few extra attack points. It'll keep me from getting hit, which means I deal damage more, which means in the long run, it's actually higher attack output.

But that's just my opinion. Something to think about, anyways.

I would also say, Rapid Morph and Quick Sheath are crucial for Switch Axe. The Rapid Morph 3 skill makes you switch modes so fast. And Quick Sheath 3 makes a massive difference in the time it takes to Sheath your weapon, which can make a real difference when it comes to getting out of the way fast enough. If you use wirefall a lot and Invincible Gambit, I'd also recommend Wirebug Whisperer Lv. 3. It extends the duration of a 3rd wirebug from 60 seconds to 78, and decreases cooldown. Really nice skill. I just couldn't fit it into my current build.

JaxonH

Got my Wireless chatpad for joycon. It's not as fast as my larger Logitech keyboard, but it's fast enough, and far more convenient as you don't need to keep anything in your lap and set the controller down to use.

No lag.

Untitled

Pizzamorg

Thank you for the tip on the Talons. I now have the four all in my pouch, I was able to also craft three defence gems that I have slotted into my build. Think I can fit in another two or three? So I’ll grind it out at some point to make those.

And I can swap out the affinity offsetting for something else, but I am not entirely sure for what. I am at crit eye 5 out of 7. Bludgeoner, Divine Blessing, Evade Extender, Power Prolonger and Stamina Thief are all two out of three. I have two defence boost now from the decorations. Then a bunch of random ones from spare bits on gear. That offsets the affinity from minus 15 to plus 10 percent and a base raw of 245, before any of the various bonuses proc from the various stuff on the armour and that is not fully maxed out, either.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Evade Extender is great. And you don't need the full Level 3- Level 2 is perfect, preferable even imo as it doesnt make you roll and jump too far. Only run Level 3 when using Lance and Gunlance for the backhops. Evade Window is also clutch. Back in the old world, I would heavily rely on Evasion skills to roll through attacks. Still do.

The more defense gems the better. I just beat that gold crown Magnamalo quest, and fainted once. To give you an idea of my Defense going in, I was at 554 pre-meal. Then I ate for Felyne Defender, Felyne Medic and Felyne Weakener. And I drank Mega Armorskins and maxed my HP and defense via spiribirds before starting the fight. When we triple carted, I was at 490 Defense and didn't max my HP and defense with spiribirds. So that extra 64 defense + max spiribird buffs was enough to make the difference.

BTW, another 2 event Quests just released within the last hour. Apex Rathalos Emergency which features an Apex Rathalos "far more dangerous than any Apex to date" and Frost Bites, which features a Lagombi, Barioth and Goss Harag for special layered armor.

With all the layered armor event quests, I'm gonna have a heck of a collection by the time these event Quests are over, especially when combined with all the base armor in the game that can be worn as layered armor.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic