Forums

Topic: Mario Vs Donkey Kong ‘24

Posts 1 to 20 of 90

NinChocolate

I’m feeling it. The movie, the rumors. The franchise is making it’s return this year in some form on Switch. Who’s potentially excited?

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

MarioBrickLayer

I've been saying this for a while!

I'm hoping they can make a game where Mario, Donkey Kong and Bowser are all playable! No idea how that would work, but it could be epic!

MarioBrickLayer

Ninfan

@NinChocolate will it be a totally new game or the same game with some new features ?
I will buy it either way😁

Ninfan

Fizza

Do we think it's going to be like the original or the ones with those minis because I remember playing one of those at a friends house and I just couldn't get into the Lemmings style gameplay of those entries.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Magician

Not impossible I think. The previous games were developed by NST, the same internal team that ported Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Super Mario 3D World to Switch. They had to have been busy with something the past year or so since Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury went gold.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

NinChocolate

@Ninfan I hope it’s an expanded and mode-rich version of what the series has done in the past, potentially being a home console experience. Maybe online. I think it’d be natural for Mario Movie elements to appear as cross-promotion. I was initially thinking they’d do a new SMB game in that vein, but with DK being in the movie and rumors of a DK title from Kyoto, this makes more sense now perhaps

NinChocolate

NinChocolate

They could even get as crazy as to do an arcade mode in this game, then take that and manufacture actual arcade cabinets for public promotion, also bearing branding elements from the movie as further cross-promotion. It’d be great nostalgia marketing for Nintendo’s history

NinChocolate

NinChocolate

If this game is coming out of Kyoto, which if it has a connection with the movie/Miyamoto it has to, and as rumored, I do expect it to be a revamp of the series with greater care from Nintendo’s primary development group

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

SwitchForce

Two very different gameplay that don't compare why someone thinks this befuddles the mind.

SwitchForce

MarioVillager92

If that happens, I'm hoping it's gonna be like the Game Boy game and the first MvDK. I would buy that in a heartbeat. We've had so much of those "guide the Mini Marios to the goal" games lately. They're not bad games at all, I quite liked Mini-Land Mayhem, just been wanting a successor to the older ones I mentioned. Come to think of it, that might happen - the Switch's touch screen isn't used very often in general, and all the MvDK sequels were played by using the touch screen anyway.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

NinChocolate

@MarioLover92 my feeling is that a new entry would be closer to the original Donkey Kong ‘94

NinChocolate

MarioVillager92

@NinChocolate Yeah that's what I'm thinking, or the first Mario vs. Donkey Kong on the GBA. Either way, I'll be happy. Been too long since we've had a game like those!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

JaxonH

This franchise is sorely missing on Switch.

I understand it was well suited to touchscreens with stylus, but I'm sure they could make it work.

I loved the Lemmings style gameplay, as I've always loved Lemmings and grew up on that series (Why has Sony done nothing with it? Oh right, because they don't care about smaller games anymore).

Nintendo is missing a lot of smaller games DS and 3DS, and even Wii U had. Mario vs DK is definitely one. But even Dr. Mario. Where's that? I don't want retro versions, give us a new one, or an expanded port of Dr Luigi at the very least.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Eel

They could always return to basics and let you directly control Mario like on the first two games. (Counting Donkey Kong ‘94 as part of the series, of course)

SwitchForce wrote:

Two very different gameplay that don't compare why someone thinks this befuddles the mind.

“Mario vs Donkey Kong” is a series of games, not a popularity contest.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Bolt_Strike

I do think it's coming (although it has had a relatively long hiatus), but I'm not going to be excited unless they go back to the original, puzzle platformer style gameplay of the first game and DK94. I had enough of the Lemmings style gameplay after one game, not interested in the current direction of the series.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NinChocolate

@Bolt_Strike I would be very surprised if a Switch version had the minies. If it’s rumored that it’s being done in Kyoto, that suggests to me more involved development like Mario movement mechanics, larger environments, etc

NinChocolate

Fizza

@NinChocolate I really hope it's like that honestly. I said it in a previous post but the Lemmings style gameplay of the minis just looks really boring to me honestly, I could really go for an actual puzzle platformer like the older games. The only Mario game that scratches that itch for me at the moment is the occasional really good puzzle level in SMM2.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

@NinChocolate I hope so, but I'm not necessarily convinced that it's going to be a large scale project just because Kyoto is working on it. MvDK isn't really a concept that lends itself well to a larger scale game, it's meant to be a series of relatively short puzzles so they can't really open it up or it wouldn't feel like MvDK anymore (really it's better as an eShop/mobile game if anything). If Kyoto is working on it, it'll probably still be a small project that doesn't stray too far from the core concept, and probably will retain the Lemmings style simply because it's been established as such for over a decade.

Or maybe that rumor is bogus and Kyoto isn't working on it at all, it doesn't seem to be their type of game. Honestly I think if Kyoto wanted to work on another puzzle/platformer type game that they could open up with larger environments they could just make Captain Toad 2 (which is much more likely seeing as they were the ones who pioneered that gameplay style in the first place). It's kind of hard for me to believe that they'd work on MvDK.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo doesn't really do small scale projects anymore outside of mobile games so I'd guess if Mario vs. Donkey Kong returns it'll be a mobile game with the gameplay style of the DS, 3DS and Wii U ones. Amiibo Challenge if amiibo were a real life equivalent of gacha comes to mind.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NinChocolate

@Bolt_Strike for my reasoning I’m looking at the rumor and at the movie details and overlapping them. Miyamoto’s producing a movie that’s revealed to be riffing off of Mario’s early game origins for story with Donkey Kong, Wrecking Crew, etc. It wouldn’t be insane to think that a game that celebrates and promotes that important history would be there to back up the occasion. Mario Vs Donkey is the relevant brand there. If it’s Mario, if it’s tied to a high-value movie production, that’s within the scope and responsibility of Kyoto. I don’t think that just because it’s puzzle that it automatically has to go to a subsidiary forever and ever

NinChocolate

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic