Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 2,021 to 2,040 of 2,057

Dezzy

Finally got to the Darker Side.

Well this is rather annoying with no checkpoints! Fun as well though. Feels like a 3D World level.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

iKhan

What do you guys think the next 3D Mario game will be? Galaxy 3? Sunshine 2? Odyssey 2? Or something new entirely?

Right now my money is between Odyssey 2 and Sunshine 2. Something tells me that they might have had plans for an Isle Delfino level in Odyssey, before they realized they had enough ideas to make a brand new Super Mario Sunshine game.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

WoomyNNYes

@iKhan all I can think is, they still haven't ported Mario 3D World. Is the Wii the only time they made two 3D Mario games for one console? I guess I lean toward at Odyssey 2, but I'm cool with something else.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Grumblevolcano

@iKhan 3D World port or Odyssey 2 with 1 of them coming next year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@iKhan

I think they're definitely working on Odyssey 2, for a few reasons:

-It's the best-selling 3D Mario game they've ever made.
-It's always cheaper to just reuse an engine and some of the assets you've already made, than to do something else from scratch.
-The capture concept has so much room for further ideas, that I just can't imagine them leaving it at that 1 game.

SKTTR

Yeah, my bets also on Super Mario Odyssey 2.

They stopped DLC for Mario Kart 8 when they worked on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
They stopped DLC for Super Mario Maker when they worked on Super Mario Maker 2.
They stopped DLC for Breath of the Wild when they worked on the Breath of the Wild sequel.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Dezzy

It would also be highly unlikely that they're not doing a port of 3D World. It's too perfect a game for the Switch, what with the multiplayer that can be played on a small screen (due to lack of splitscreen). Also the obvious fact that it would sell like 10 million copies.

My guess is they've already done it (a bit like they've probably already done Prime Trilogy HD), but are holding onto it for a point where they expect to have a gap in their release calendar. This year's been so packed that it really wasn't needed.

MarioVillager92

@Woomy_NNYes Yeah the Wii's the only console with two 3D Mario games. The N64, GameCube, Wii U, and Switch each have one.

@NorseGamerTommy Yeah me too, I'd love an Odyssey 2. I wanna see more kingdoms (maybe like 15 more full-sized kingdoms) to play around in, each with their own set of Power Moons to collect. They could do just that, and add some more enemies to capture, and I would be perfectly happy!

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

rallydefault

Yea, I think Odyssey 2. I just hope they come up with a bigger hub world this time. But I guess that's not really the Odyssey game design, though.

I still think Mario 64 was the perfect 3D Mario.

rallydefault

WoomyNNYes

I want a Breath of the Wild sized world for Odyssey 2. It's won't happen, but I want it.

'Tendo liker

Dezzy

@Woomy_NNYes

I can't imagine a world that big actually working for a platformer. There's no way they could fill the entire world with platforming challenges, so you'd end up with big stretches of land between them. That would seem a lot weirder in a platformer than in an RPG or adventure game, given the more abstract and focused nature of most platformers.

Think of the Sand Kingdom in Odyssey. That was probably the biggest in total area and it meant you just had large stretches of nothingness between landmarks.

I FAR preferred the Metro Kingdom. Which was a lot smaller in scale but much more focused and dense.

Edited on by Dezzy

iKhan

Dezzy wrote:

@Woomy_NNYes

I can't imagine a world that big actually working for a platformer. There's no way they could fill the entire world with platforming challenges, so you'd end up with big stretches of land between them. That would seem a lot weirder in a platformer than in an RPG or adventure game, given the more abstract and focused nature of most platformers.

Think of the Sand Kingdom in Odyssey. That was probably the biggest in total area and it meant you just had large stretches of nothingness between landmarks.

I FAR preferred the Metro Kingdom. Which was a lot smaller in scale but much more focused and dense.

Actually Sand Kingdom was probably my favorite kingdom in the game.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

WoomyNNYes

@Dezzy My logic was, in botw they linked different climates and towns, and divided them with trees, mountains, cliffs, plains, water features. And in odyssey, you can get around with Jaxi or a moped. They could even replace shrines with haunted mansions or toad mushroom houses. If you think that sounds crazy, perhaps it is

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

'Tendo liker

Dezzy

@Woomy_NNYes

I think huge open-worlds only really work in games where there's either a big incentive for exploration OR games where the story and lore are benefited by having the huge world. The rest of the time they're kinda pointless.

I can't help feeling Mario going open-world would be a bit like Metal Gear Solid 5 going open-world, in that it added almost nothing to the experience. Almost no-one says it was better than the earlier games because of that.

That's so different from something like Witcher 3 or Final Fantasy XV, which benefited massively from going open-world.

rallydefault

I agree that massive "open" worlds don't usually jive for platformers. I just thought Odyssey was a bit too..."hoppy." I mean, it pretty much lacks a hub world of any sort, so it just kind of turns into a menu, and that's a bummer. Just something like the castle from Mario 64, but a bit bigger with a bit more going on. That's all, nothing crazy.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Dezzy

@iKhan

But was it because of the horizontal size of it, or was it because of the visuals and platforming design. Because they could've fit that same thing into half the area and it would've been fine.

iKhan

Dezzy wrote:

@iKhan

But was it because of the horizontal size of it, or was it because of the visuals and platforming design. Because they could've fit that same thing into half the area and it would've been fine.

I think it had a lot to do with the sheer amount of content. But I think the size was part of it. I loved roaming the desert trying to find neat new things to do.

DAHstroy

I have like 770+ moons and don't really care to finish the collection of the moons. Is there a reason to hop back into the game and 100% it?

DAHstroy

ThainEshKelch

DAHstroy wrote:

I have like 770+ moons and don't really care to finish the collection of the moons. Is there a reason to hop back into the game and 100% it?

That depends if 100% a game is a must for you, or that you just enjoy SMO that much. Some of the moons require dedication and repetition a lot of times!

I finally got the last moon yesterday, so it was worth it to me. I really like doing those harder moons, as I see it as a good challenge. And seeing what happened to Peachs castle when I did finish was pretty funny!

Edit 2: Took me a little more than 70 hours, according to my switch profile.

Edited on by ThainEshKelch

ThainEshKelch

porto

@ThainEshKelch took me forever to beat the game, but it was so worth it in the end. Lovely game to relax over and forget about the stress of the work-force.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic