Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 3,125

Ralizah

Thanks to the castle stars and 100 coin stars (didn't know this was a thing until a toad told me, so I'm guessing every world has one of these stars?), I'm technically past 70 stars, and haven't even started any of the upstairs paintings. I could just run straight to the end and ignore, like, 1/3 of the game's levels if I wanted.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@Tendo64 I don't think you need to do any of that. You can obtain all the red coins by yourself. Just platforming and FLUDD.

Octane

Octane

@Ralizah Yeah just like in Sunshine, there is a star for obtaining 100 coins in every world.

Octane

Zeldafan79

I still think mario sunshine can be a major pain in the ass but the beauty of it and fun still to be had despite the BS makes it somewhat tolerable. I rarely replay that one. I'll do it once more for this collection but after that i may never play it again. Galaxy on the other hand is probably still to this day my favorite!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

iKhan

All the talk of 3D All-stars made me nostalgic for Super Mario Sunshine, so I popped it in yesterday to play.

I was shocked with how glitchy the Sunshine was for a Mario game. I'd go as far as to say something 1/15 of my deaths were due to a glitch, which is just unacceptable for the caliber of a Mario game. The most common glitch occured at edges, where Mario would stutter and freeze at an edge before falling to his death.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

HobbitGamer

Maybe don't stand near ledges? And quit falling?

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

porto

@status-204 Back in 2002, they were really behind schedule in releasing it.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

NintendoByNature

Since I'm finished with 64 I'm going to fire up sunshine for the first time ever today. Excited to see what the fuss is about

NintendoByNature

JoyBoy

Can anyone confirm something about the N64 controller? If I remember correctly, it had like 8 of these gaps around the stick. What I was thinking is, weren't you able to lock in place the control stick in one of these gaps, more easily at least?
It would mean that these moments where the camera is an akward position and you have to run in a straight line would be a lot easier.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

porto

@status-204 I didn’t say it would improve your experience. When I first played it I thought the game was junk. Complete utter trash to be thrown in the garbage. I’ve since found a way to appreciate it tho. The controls suck massively, but it’s also the only Mario game that made me want to sit down and mesmerize over the beauty.

It’s a different game. Not for everybody.

Edited on by porto

porto

iKhan

@status-204

It's funny how much Sunshine and Wind Waker have in common. They were brilliant concepts filled with great ideas, but attempts to add padding to rush the games out faster ended up introducing their most critical flaws (Sunshine with it's poor progression system and blue coins, Wind Waker with the Triforce Quest). In my humble opinion, those aspects of both games have such profound effects on the experience that they are among the weakest 3D entries in their respective series.

It really speaks to the Miyamoto quote about a rushed game being forever bad.

Oh and, y'know, water

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

StuTwo

status-204 wrote:

As someone that's never played Sunshine much before, I have to say this has to be one of the least polished proper Mario games I've ever played. It's rough in a way that's really uncharacteristic of Nintendo. I'm not really enjoying it.

There are plenty of people in this thread (and elsewhere on the internet) who would tell you to just "git good". It's why a few pages back we were talking about the merits of checkpointing and even save states.

Personally I think there is a great game in Sunshine... but it needed a lot more work to bring it out. Even by 2002 standards it was frustrating in a bad and annoying way in a lot of places (especially later on in the game...). In 2020 I think it's something that you'd really have to already be in love with to love now.

It's such a shame because if even some of the rough edges had been sanded off then it's got some great things in it and could have been recognised as the missing link that it is between Mario 64 and Galaxy.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Banjo-

@Spanjard Exactly that. Besides, Mario's movement hasn't been mapped correctly to newer sticks, specifically, when he walks and walks on his toes. The camera was designed to be adjusted with buttons and not constantly. All these things mean that the game plays better on N64, that it should have been updated for Switch and that Nintendo is lazy (but greedy).

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

StuTwo

@status-204 It's not excessively difficult necessarily. It's just that the game ends up wasting your time because certain things are either glitchy or the fine details of the design just haven't been thought through.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

porto

@status-204 Everything you said about Sunshine is true. I just got used to it and it’s fine now. I’m not telling you to get better, I’m just saying that’s why I like it.

porto

Sunsy

My copy came today! After doing some housework, it's Mario time!

Best thing, Amazon said it was going to be delivered on the 26th, and it came earlier than expected. Looking forward to revisiting Sunshine, and playing Galaxy for the first time. Truth be told, I've been playing Super Mario 64 on my Wii U on and off for the past couple of months.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

FX102A

Playing 3rd shine in Bianca Hills reminded me of my biggest issue with SMS. Is it just me or is Mario’s Running and Jump reactions a bit stilted? I lost 6 lives because of overrunning, overjumping and slow response to jumps. Just feels less intuitive than SM64 & SMG. The Fludd helps by giving the hover but when they take it away?

FX102A

HobbitGamer

I thought Sunshine movement was actually more responsive than 64. turning and back/side flips are definitely quicker. YMMV

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

renaryuugufan92

100% Mario sunshine and slowly chipping away and savoring 64 before moving onto Galaxy. The controls in Sunshine take a bit of getting used to but once they click they stick.

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic