Forums

Topic: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - out now

Posts 121 to 140 of 192

SpringLand

Okay, so I've played just over 2 hours of GTA 3 in docked mode. The framerate is terrible, which shows during both cutscenes and gameplay. It can be so choppy that cars can feel very fidgety with even the slightest turn; making high speed chases feel like a chore. However, the driving and on-foot controls feel great. Having played every mobile port, it's clear their quality of life improvements have been ported into this remaster. However, your mileage may vary on this as it brings a number of other changes. Like the mobile versions, the difficulty has been decreased in some missions and interfaces have slight changes too. Similarly, the graphics will also be a matter of personal preference. I find they look great on Switch and the lightning really helps with the mood. Only downside is that the added shadows can make things a bit dark sometimes.
Only buy this if you know you'll enjoy it. I'm really having fun so far, warts and all.

Edited on by SpringLand

SpringLand

kkslider5552000

Apparently even the PS5 and PC versions are having framerate issues based on what I've heard. Presumably they rushed it out to meet the holiday season. Makes me glad I was gonna wait to get this regardless.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

duddy

Anybody try the gyro aiming yet? I'm curious to hear how that plays in.

duddy

JaxonH

I haven't played on the TV yet, but in handheld it looks good, runs well enough (not perfect but, pretty decent).

San Andreas definitely looks the best though. That game is a cut above the rest.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@duddy
I have. It works great but you need to notch the sensitivity down a few ticks.

Also, in handheld it doesn't swap roll and yaw, similar to Monster Hunter Rise, so it still uses a "pointer" like rotation for left and right aiming with Gyro instead of tilting the window you're viewing through. It still works, just a little different.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

StarFalco

I played 3 and Vice City for about 30 min each last night docked. Both played well for me. I did not have any issues with framerate. I have the OLED id that makes a difference. Don't think it does but very pleased with it after reading all the terrible reviews.

All In The Reflexes

Switch Friend Code: SW-1852-3950-9117 | My Nintendo: StarFalco | Nintendo Network ID: StarFalco | Twitter:

BlueMonk

I think I’ll give it a shot. It seems like people who just wanted a playable version of these games (I’m mainly interested in Vice City) get that in handheld.

What’s holding me back are the missing tracks. That hurts. But VC is was a clunky mess when it came out. If it’s version I can actually play today, it’ll probably be enough for me.

Edited on by BlueMonk

BlueMonk

skywake

TBH, kinda feel justified not getting this one now. May reconsider if they patch out these issues, unbundle it or significantly reduce the cost. Only really interested in revisiting Vice City. For now I'll probably just download Vice City on Steam again..... I've had it on there for years which is a good thing for me because they've removed that version from Steam in the last couple of weeks

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

reporterdavid

Do you, who have the game, see the game as 4/10?

Have a nice day. Voiceactor: The Pirates! (Sony/Aardman 2012) - The Passion: A Brickfilm (Neema 2019) - The Torchlighters: The Story of John Newton (Vision Video 2022)

Gerald

I have only played Vice City so far. It plays very much like I remember. The lack of shadows at night is a miss, but things like pop in and cars appearing was an issue on the original. Some of the music tracks that were said to be missing are actually present (Animotion’s Obsession, ABC’s Poison Arrow, Gary Newman’s Cars are present)
The frame rate does need addressing, but I didn’t find it to be so bad it was unplayable.
Note: I have never played GTA 4&5

Edited on by Gerald

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

Reprise

reporterdavid wrote:

Do you, who have the game, see the game as 4/10?

Nah. Maybe 6 or 7 out of 10. It serves its purpose for me. The thing is, I tried playing the trilogy again on PS2 a few months back and found them borderline unplayable in their original form on PS2 (particularly 3 and Vice City). These aren't amazing remasters, but I don't mind the updated visuals and I really appreciate the modern controls. I was never one to play these games for the soundtracks either, so a few missing tracks doesn't bother me.

Reprise

gcunit

Thing to remember is, these were never 10/10 games in the first place. The mechanics were no more than 6/10, with janky character movement, shooting and driving. What elevated them was the open world freedom they gave to pull people put of their cars before running them over with their own cars, stealing their cash and then hooning off until you trashed the car or some old granny gave you some lip, prompting you to ditch the car and beat her to a pulp with your baseball bat, before engaging in an epic 5-star cop chase, taking down helicopters etc. Sandbox anarchy is fun, that's what made the IP what it is. Not the core game.

That was GTA4's problem - it had better graphics and controls, but the game itself got exposed as being a bit tedious and samey. And had a ****ing annoying cousin.

So take those 6/10 mechanics and mission structure, then give everyone the impression you're going to remaster and polish them but charge a hefty fee... Let's face it, they'd have had to have done a stellar job just to earn an 8/10 score.

But 4/10 does seem overboard. I think if you look at PJ's Twitter feed, you might get a sense that they were angling for the attention-seeking hyperbole all along.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Reprise

@gcunit I think your assessment is spot on. Remasters, ports and remakes are always a difficult thing to get right and some games are just easier to remaster.

I think it's the audacity to charge £50 for these that is part of the problem.

Reprise

GrailUK

@gcunit I agree with what you said! (You did forget to mention driving aound listening to the radiostations was fun. Probably GTA's stand out feature I reckon - sure as heck wasn't the gameplay lol)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

gcunit

@GrailUK I might have dabbled with a bit of that, but I never enjoyed the driving unless trying to go as fast as possible for a spectacular jump or something, so the radio stations are not something I have as fond memories of as other people. I can remember they were well put together, but I don't think I went out of my way just to listen to them. Just driving for the sake of it doesn't appeal to me, I need it to be a race or a chase.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

GrailUK

@gcunit I can relate

FragRed

Once again the issue people need to remember is how the internet always responds to anything. Toxicity through and through which picks up pace and nastiness as it evolves. The gaming media also loves to jump on bandwagons hence the so many articles often nothing more than random screenshots of glitches that most won’t encounter. They do the same with highly praised games too.

Social media is always a tiny bubble that thinks itself the mainstream customers of gaming. It’s why when they cry to boycott it never works. The general public won’t be too concerned when buying the games unless it’s Cyberpunk unplayable.

Showed Vice City and San Andreas to my eldest brother and he’s definitely impressed as well as my mum. He’s more in touch with gaming news than most but still, most people won’t worry too much and they recognise patches will be rolled out.

What really annoys me is when the internet goes after anyone who dares say they are enjoying a game, like you can not possibly have fun when everyone else hates it. That’s where we are with this trilogy. And again websites love this. It’s the easiest journalism they could hope for. Even easier than news articles based on Twitter posts.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

GrailUK

@FragRed There is a time and a place for fun, Mr Fragred. And it's certainly not in this lifetime. Reported!

Zuljaras

FragRed wrote:

What really annoys me is when the internet goes after anyone who dares say they are enjoying a game, like you can not possibly have fun when everyone else hates it. That’s where we are with this trilogy. And again websites love this. It’s the easiest journalism they could hope for. Even easier than news articles based on Twitter posts.

That sounds like a "you" problem. Why would you care if anyone of the internet "flames" you for liking a game? Just ignore the buzzing. If you can't you can always turn of the social networks.

I am more annoyed with "toxic positivity" than with real toxicity.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic