Forums

Topic: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - out now

Posts 141 to 160 of 192

Losermagnet

@Zuljaras i can kinda relate. It sucks to be ostracized. I feel that way a bit with Dark Souls. I came late to the series but evidently the fanbase has been hated for awhile 😂 makes me appreciate the conversations I have about it. But yeah, if you like something who cares what someone else thinks.

Just don't be a "Y Can't Metroid Crawl" person, they're the worst 😛

Edited on by Losermagnet

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

Eel

My brother had the physical version preordered. I'm not sure why is the physical version being released at a later date, but it was a blessing.

He cancelled it after hearing about all the issues.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

JaxonH

All I can say is, I’ve been enjoying the games, haven’t encountered any of the glitches that get showcased in videos, I think the games look good enough and, at least in handheld mode for San Andreas and Vice City (the ones I’ve played most) they run well enough too.

So no, I don’t agree with a 4/10. They’re certainly rough around the edges in some respects, and hopefully some patches can address that. But I’m glad I bought the games, and if I had to do it all over again right now, I’d buy them all over again.

Doesn’t mean the criticism isn’t justified because it definitely is. I just don’t think a lot of the things being criticized have as big of an impact as some portray them to have. By and large these are decent looking, playable versions of classics that I have fond memories of.

I probably wouldn’t be as happy with other versions not on Switch, because there’s a massive gap between what games are expected to look like on those systems and what these games look like on those systems. But on Switch, the gap between what games are expected to look like and what these games look like is much smaller, and, is made even less noticeable when playing handheld.

I don’t even know if I could rate these games with a score. But I do know I don’t agree with a 4/10. I rate them a “worth buying”/10. That’s about all I can say.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Losermagnet

@Eel Considering the bad publicity the number of canceled preorders must be high. It makes me wonder why Rockstar didnt push back the release of the digital edition to be simultaneous with the physical. It'll sell on name regardless and that way they would at least have time to implement patches and possibly avoid some of the negativity.

Good for your brother though!

WoomyNNYes

Losermagnet wrote:

@Eel Considering the bad publicity the number of canceled preorders must be high. It makes me wonder why Rockstar didnt push back the release of the digital edition to be simultaneous with the physical. It'll sell on name regardless and that way they would at least have time to implement patches and possibly avoid some of the negativity.

Good for your brother though!

@Losermagnet I assumed the pandemic has strained & slowed down game development, and companies may be losing money with these longer-than-planned development times. I have no idea if that's the case with GTA, but that's what I've been thinking.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Losermagnet

@WoomyNNYes i get that vibe from a lot of releases over the last (sad) two years. Like, I'm surprised it took this long to get the major update for Animal Crossing, and it sounds like a good amount of content is being patched into Pokemon Diamond & Pearl day one. Adding GTA to the list, and it's clear major releases are relying on post-release updates to continue part of the game development.

Just gimme a cartridge I can SMASH into my SNES and I'm good 😝

Pizzamorg

Man, seeing the quality of all the fan mods that Rockstar took action to take down, compared to what they released as their “Defintive Edition” (or rather, whoever the third party was they dumped this on) would be hilarious in the sheer scummery of it all, if it wasn’t ripping so many people off. They should have done like some other companies have and employed the modders onto their staff, giving them resources to make expanded versions of their mods for this remaster of the games. Instead they basically ***** everyone, including themselves.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

skywake

FragRed wrote:

What really annoys me is when the internet goes after anyone who dares say they are enjoying a game, like you can not possibly have fun when everyone else hates it. That’s where we are with this trilogy. And again websites love this. It’s the easiest journalism they could hope for. Even easier than news articles based on Twitter posts.

I agree with the sentiment but in this case I think Rockstar has done some pretty shady moves around this launch. As I said a few pages back, the price is very high for a remaster so they really had to justify it with a significant level of polish. Yes I know Nintendo prices their remasters/ports similarly but those are generally either newer and/or to a very high standard. This isn't the case here. Sure they've included three games to justify the price tag but without allowing separate sale that doesn't really change the high price

Comparison would be the Halo collection. On PC it launched at $50AU and outside of sales it has largely remained at that price. If you want just the OG Halo? That's $12AU, you can by it on its own. The GTA Collection? $80AU.... and you can't unbundle them. Kinda rough

Worse on the PC side these games were available for sale already and they pulled them from Steam in the last few weeks. You could have picked up the original Vice City on Steam as is for under $10AU on sale pretty regularly. I think the regular price was ~$15AU. Of course not remastered so you got it as is but still, removing that option entirely just before launch of the remaster? A bit of a garbage move

So yeah, I was pretty hyped for this but there's no way I'm rewarding Rockstar with my money on this. Voting with my wallet here. Of course it if was a stellar remaster? I would probably still bite. But it clearly isn't which just adds to the whole array of scummyness here

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Suburbs

Does anyone know how to view achievements? I notice them unlocking but can’t find a way to view them. Would be pretty funny if you can’t even view them

Currently playing through gta 3 and really liking it. As some one who played the 3 of these growing up I don’t really care about the frame drops since it’s pretty well the og experience. not experiencing much performance issues or glitches on my og switch mostly handheld

Suburbs

SpringLand

@Eel
Lmao. I know it's not much of a revelation but it's an interesting breakdown of the Switch port. Truth be told, I'm still enjoying the game somehow.

SpringLand

Jrpglover

Out of curiosity why does everyone think £50 is too high for 3 games. That's £16.66 a piece which ( imo) is a decent price.

Jrpglover

Matt_Barber

Jrpglover wrote:

Out of curiosity why does everyone think £50 is too high for 3 games. That's £16.66 a piece which ( imo) is a decent price.

For three classic games remade well it'd be great value. When they're bug-ridden ports of ports with serious performance issues, less so though.

By way of a comparison, 3D All Stars was great value for three games of similar vintage with only a minimal amount of work done on them, because they all still played well. Sure, there were a few grumbles that they deserved more, but they didn't have much trouble selling it.

If only GTA Trilogy can be patched to that level of respectability at some point...

Matt_Barber

faint

@Zuljaras Wouldn’t that mean the detractors also have a problem? Why don’t they ignore the “buzzing” of someone having a good time?

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

AlliMeadow

Might be because I've never really played any GTA game since Vice City, but I really enjoy GTA 3 so far and the frame rate doesn't really bother me. I've had the game freeze 2 times, but with how quick most missions are and the constant saving it basically amounts to the same drawback as failing a mission.

I also have a great deal of nostalgia towards Vice City, so even though I'm still at 3 I might be a little biased. So far though, I'm happy with my purchase. Warts and all.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

skywake

Jrpglover wrote:

It's not necessarily as simple as dividing the price by three and saying that's the value. It's like the buy one get one free deals, it's only good value if you were going to get it anyways. In my mind they're charging $80AU for a sub-par version of Vice City and throwing in a couple of other titles as a sweetener. It's not that compelling especially with the issues they do have. For what it's worth I would've happily paid around $50AU for the trilogy if it was a straight up, no enhancements port of the original running at a higher resolution/framerate. Or maybe ~$20AU for a similar deal for just one game. Because it's not exactly a hard game to run. But a remaster that somehow takes performance backwards compared to what it was back in the day and adds weird graphical issues? .... no thanks

I'll stick with the version I managed to get on Steam before they pulled it. "Warts and all"
Untitled

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Laserbeak1982

@Jrpglover I've pre-ordered the physical version for just under £40. Honestly a bargain for all 3 games. Even at £50 it's still a good deal imo. Yes there's a few frame rate issue right now, but nothing game breaking. I'm looking forward to playing them again, especially 3 and Vice City. Never got into San Andreas.

Laserbeak1982

Tendo64

Late to this - just watched the Nintendolife review. Wow, this sounds shockingly bad and nothing more than a cash grab.

I was always going to get the game on PS5 anyway but it's a shame it couldn't present well on Switch. Let's hope to buggery they patch it or something.

Edit: Just saw a review where the PS5 version is basically half-baked too. Disappointing.

I might pass on this unless I get convinced otherwise. Happy to pay 80 bucks for a premium product, which this ain't, by accounts.

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic