Forums

Topic: Games that are perfect for handheld gaming but are'nt on the Switch

Posts 101 to 120 of 124

GameOtaku

@Marioman2020
Two different games though. I’d rather smt and Persona be on both platforms than alienate them from being experienced.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

GameOtaku

@TheFrenchiestFry
But for them to say “we understand your demand so here is this unrelated game that you can play instead” is just bonkers. Sure I’m looking forward to playing SMT 3 and 5 but I’m also wanting P5. That there is at least (if 3 is $60) $180 if all 3 were on switch ($240 if scramble is included). Can you really say that from a financial POV that having P5 on switch would not be a sound idea?

If we are going to look back at previous persona games there was also a great span of time between original, remake and sequel spinoffs. For P4 it was 4 years between it and G then almost a year before Arena (at least 6 years or so from P3). Not to mention the remake and original were not on the same console as P5 was so I can see why a portable remake did so well a gen later. Has Royal stick to the original then portable remake formula then it may have sold even more and since Sony has opted out of the handheld market switch was the perfect choice. The spinoffs on other consoles didn’t sell as well since there was no point of reference on that platform. You can’t tell someone to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 before watching the other movies. They would not get anything out of it as those familiar with the series. Atlus probably based that Persona would not sell on Xbox because it’s spin-off sequel sold poorly but did well on PS.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku The statement about there being a gap between the original release of a mainline title and its re-release and spinoffs is very untrue. Persona 3 came out in 2006 in Japan while FES came out the literal next year in that region and 2008 in North America, which was not only a year after Persona 3's English release, but also the same exact year Persona 4 released in both regions

Now Persona 4 Golden did come out about 4 years after the PS2 game on Vita, but the literal same year, Persona 4 Arena came out in Japan and North America, and that was the first Persona game that was outside the roleplaying genre

Likewise, Persona 5 released in fall 2016 in Japan and spring 2017 in the West, and literally just over a year later Persona 5 Dancing, which was P5's first spinoff title came out in Japan, and later that same year in the West during 2018, with P5R launching the next year in 2019 in Japan and earlier this year here.

The only reason Persona 3 took about 12 years to get a proper spinoff game with Persona 3 Dancing, was due to the fact that Atlus didn't start making Persona spinoff games until 2012 with Arena, and technically even then Arena marked the first appearance of the P3 cast in a spinoff title seeing as how it served as a continuation of Persona 3's story in conjunction with Persona 4, and both casts appeared together in the Q games, which are again, Nintendo exclusives.

I'm not saying P5 on Switch would be a bad idea. To this day P5 remains the sole main entry without a handheld version and obviously the Switch is their only option now that Sony's left the business of producing handheld consoles, but claiming that it was set in stone the moment Joker was announced in Smash, or that Atlus is being an ignorant supporter of the Switch when they're literally developing exclusive games for the platform just because they aren't Persona related is an extremely childish mindset, as is claiming that Persona 5 is inaccessible when it's literally on the best selling console platform of the entire current generation.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

GameOtaku

@TheFrenchiestFry
But to access it is cost prohibitive. A PS4 is around $400 plus the price of the game so you’re looking at $460 not counting tax which could easily run it over $500. Most of us don’t throw gobs of money like that willy nilly. So which is better $60 for a port or $500 for one game?

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku The PS4 Slim, or the base PS4 unit starts at the exact same price as the Switch. You pay 400 if you actually want the PS4 Pro, and the original Persona 5 is well below full price at this point and just as satisfactory of an experience. If you're planning to play Scramble you literally only need the plot context of the original Persona 5 which goes for around 20 bucks these days since its been added to the PlayStation Hits line. Royal also often goes on sale for about 40 or 45 bucks when Sony hosts their Big in Japan sales on the PS Store, and since Scramble is going to be on PS4 as well it's honestly a better alternative than waiting for a Switch version you were never promised at this point.

I also just think the PS4 has incredible exclusives in general especially as an RPG enthusiast. Final Fantasy VII Remake in particular is my current favorite game of the entire year so far

TheFrenchiestFry

GameOtaku

@TheFrenchiestFry
Still that’s another added cost. I’m a physical gamer so I only buy carts and discs so my cost would still be high. Besides P5 there is nothing else on Sony platforms I want.

You brought up again one of my big points. Why even have a Scramble port on switch when you could just buy it on PS4? Why would a switch owner purchase it when they have no context for it? Why would Atlus not port P5 to have both?!

GameOtaku

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku Considering they did the same exact thing with both Persona 4 Arena games on Xbox 360 their mentality seems to be about using another popular platform in the console market space to court people into buying their main entries even if they aren't multiplatform. Scramble and Joker in Smash aren't even the first time Persona content have appeared on Switch considering BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle features Persona 4 Arena as a represented game among its roster and has Persona 3 and 4 characters like Yu, Chie, Yukiko, Mitsuru, Akihiko and Aigis. I doubt Joker being in Smash was connected to that however because Sakurai is genuinely a fan of the series and apparently had good relations with the head chairman of Atlus JP. Joker was also selected as DLC in early November 2018, which was even before Q2 made its Japanese debut on 3DS.

If Atlus hasn't changed tune about their stance on developing for multiple platforms that aren't PC thus far I wouldn't at all hold my breath for it in the future. Maybe if SMT3 and SMT5 do well they'll reconsider, but at this point I expect PC to be the platform where Persona ports are more guaranteed to happen, and considering Sony is trying to moneyhat a crap ton of console exclusives or timed exclusives like Final Fantasy XVI and that rumored Metal Gear Solid remake, I can totally see them doing the same with Persona 6 considering how tied to PlayStation systems the series already is.

TheFrenchiestFry

GameOtaku

@TheFrenchiestFry
The most accessible game isn’t 5 it’s 4. It’s on PS2, Vita and Steam. With steam if you have a desktop or laptop within around the last 10 years or so it can be run. More people having access means more money.

GameOtaku

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku Persona 4 originally released on the PS2 when the PS3 had been out for two years, sure

but P4G was stranded on a handheld with lackluster support from both Sony and third parties, so it desperately needed a re-release of some kind to actually get exposure in the first place.

Nocturne before the remaster was a complete PS2 exclusive that was later made available on PS3 as a PS2 classic, but those consoles are way past their prime in present day. The PS4 is a current generation home console that will still continue to get support even after its successor launches, and more people own PS4s worldwide at present compared to Switches, which are priced exactly the same when just looking at the base PS4 model. It is not an inaccessible game.

Persona 5 is probably the LEAST deserving of more exposure since it blew up and got tons of attention well before Joker was even added to Smash and is literally Atlus' single best selling title in their entire history as a company despite being only available on PlayStation consoles. Meanwhile, there are dozens of Japan-only Atlus games that have been dying to get exposure in the West and would benefit from receiving attention from both the SMT and Persona playing crowds who are already excited for Nocturne and SMTV

P5 on a handheld would be nice, but the game at present is the polar opposite of inaccessible or hard to play because there are way more consumers in the world right now with PS4s compared to Nintendo Switches, and Joker being in Smash never came with a guarantee that mainline Persona would go multiplatform, especially considering he was selected as DLC before even properly debuted on a Nintendo console.

TheFrenchiestFry

1ofUs

Fall guys or among us could be good

If you spoil a game i will find you.
It's not quite a me, Mario!

Twitter:

GameOtaku

@TheSmashTheorist
Fallout is more likely.
@TheFrenchiestFry
I wouldn’t say least deserving but it’s the most likely to be a commercial success. Atlus published Super Valis 4 and developed Friday the 13th but I somehow doubt either would be a risk they’d be willing to take. I understand there are more Atlus games than P5 but that’s the one that the biggest majority want. Console exclusivity outside of first party is very alienating. If P5R was under a timed exclusive deal and could be ported would give those that want to play it first the first dibs and everyone else would eventually get access. For example I’d love the Rare Replay Collection on Switch but since Microsoft owns Rare I don’t see it happening whereas Ori and Cuphead were indies published by Microsoft so more than likely it was just a chance to expose these games more since XBox sales aren’t doing so well in Japan.

Edited on by GameOtaku

GameOtaku

Vinny

WarioWare, although it's good on portables and consoles, is just perfect for short portable playing sessions.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku I doubt P5R is a timed exclusive. Especially since considering the website domains being registered as early as not even a few months after the original game's release, it was probably always developed with PS4 in mind just like the original was for PS3.

It's also highly unlikely Catherine and SMTIII were put out as interest gaugers for more games from Atlus on Switch like Persona, so I'd say Royal on PC is more likely at this point. Especially given the Sony Interactive Entertainment chairman's comments about Persona being a "platform holder" for them whatever that means. I don't think that puts Switch off the table for receiving mainline Persona but it was worded super specifically.

TheFrenchiestFry

GameOtaku

@TheFrenchiestFry
Catherine was used though as a sort of test for what they did with P5. It even uses the same engine as P5. Platform holder could mean a lot of things but Sony in no way owns Atlus or Persona. Looking at 4Gs sales on steam shows how the series can fair on other platforms and Atlus/Sega can’t afford to leave potential money on the table and not take some sort of action. From no matter what viewpoint you look at it Persona on Switch simply makes sound financial sense. Just like I can see Rondo and SOTN coming to switch while not under requiem but they could package it under Castlevania Collection 2.

GameOtaku

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku The point on Catherine is slightly incorrect. The original game was used as a test for how Atlus can develop games on PS3/360's hardware, but it was made in Gamebryo, and not the engine they would eventually use for Persona 5. Full Body specifically was a port of all the game's original assets in Persona 5's engine, but it's also a considerably smaller game than P5 being that it isn't a non-linear RPG.

Catherine Full Body also started development for Switch before it was even about to launch for PS4 given that source code in the website referenced Switch as a platform about a year prior to its announcement. It could be a case of testing the waters, but Atlus had to be actively pressured into putting P4G on Steam in the first place, and they've been famously outspoken about how much they don't want their games on other console platforms in the past despite what Atlus West might think. The thing stopping it now is likely that I don't see much demand for a Switch version from Atlus' primary audience in Japan, and it seems to only be something English speakers want, or more specifically people who only own Switches. It would definitely be lucrative for the company, but English speaking territories have always been deemphasized in terms of vocality in the eyes of Atlus Japan's figureheads, which is why I don't see it happening.

TheFrenchiestFry

GameOtaku

@TheFrenchiestFry
Sooner they realize the rest of the world matters to their bottom line the better. Don’t tell me when need to Commodore Perry Atlus JP!

GameOtaku

TheFrenchiestFry

@GameOtaku I think the fact that they're starting with Nocturne & Persona 4, by making their PS2 catalogue of games more accessible on modern consoles, it shows that they do care. P5 would be cool, but I'm actually really happy they didn't just go straight for P5 given that they could use this opportunity to clean up the visuals and add content to their older games, especially as a way to get people talking about SMT in general again

Joker's in Smash but I personally never saw that as a definite indicator of main Persona coming to Nintendo consoles because if it was, it probably would've already happened. Considering P5 launched on PS3/PS4 extremely closely to the Switch launch they could've been observing how attractive the platform was, but they're obviously not diving headfirst into P5 for a reason, especially given Royal was in development as early as mid 2017.

TheFrenchiestFry

EngineerMario

The Sims would be the best one hands down

EngineerMario

TheFrenchiestFry

@EngineerMario Sims would be great, but EA so there is that

TheFrenchiestFry

Snatcher

@EngineerMario Sims does sound great but what the frenchiestfry said EA!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic