Forums

Topic: Fire Emblem Series Discussion

Posts 121 to 140 of 324

Socar

@DarthNocturnal: Speaking of which I want to understand one thing that still to this day I don't get.....what is the benefit of the weapon triangle and how does it actually benefit?

Suppose the enemy I face has axes and If I like use a lance to kill him, how does it actually benefit for the enemy if the lance is sure to kill him?

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

yokokazuo

@Socar it varies by the game, but the weapon triangle usually affects your hit rate/avoid and sometimes damage I think.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Socar

@Kazuo: I just never understood the point of it......I usually just pick the weapon that deals the most damage and that's that.

Socar

Ok....this is bothering the hell out of me.

Which TRPG games do you think are better than Fire Emblem and why?

After playing a bit of Shadowrun and beating FFT, I can safely say that I will still value my opinion as FE being the only game that does TRPG justice.

But....the only other TRPG that I think can do better or is just as good as FE is Valkyria Chronicles. While I obviously don't adore the hell out of chronicles, I can say that the game is good if not, one of the best that SEGA has ever done. But I do feel the series has a long way to get me hooked into it.

Like I said earlier, I feel the interface can be changed for the better. I don't like the map and then the overworld type of interface. Either do a top down perspective like Fire Emblem with sprites or have the map displayed next to the unit so that the player can get the idea of where to go instead of just not having a map.

Then there's the lack of complexity and the lack of game feel that Chronicles has. Bonus isn't rewarded based on how you completed missions without getting units killed or how much of treasures or flags you captured. You simply beat the mission asap and for a TRPG, that's lame and needs to be fixed.

Secret units can only be gotten if you kill some units. I don't know if its as irritating as Shadow Dragon or not but what's the point of them if all the characters are the same with just minor differences aside?

Speaking of which, the characters are just bland with lack of simulation. I feel that they should have added simulation to develop relationships which can only make the game better. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea but it would make the genre bland without them (one reason why I didn't enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics).

Not only that, but the skills that each unit gets are just pathetic. Why on earth would the skill that you get have a disadvantage to you instead of having advantages?

I can't say much about Sakura Wars because well.....that fan translation has yet to show up but I feel that series is on par with FE.

Edited on by Socar

jump

I prefer Devil Survivor myself, the demon mixing becomes addictive.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Socar

arronishere wrote:

Do you do anything tactical in that game? Like is there any permadeath or simulation in it? I'm asking this because I might want to get it after you and many others simply claim that third party games are better than first party.

Edited on by Socar

jump

Socar wrote:

arronishere wrote:

Do you do anything tactical in that game? Like is there any permadeath or simulation in it? I'm asking this because I might want to get it after you and many others simply claim that third party games are better than first party.

Yes, it's trpg like Fire Emblem.

I never claimed third party is better than first, it's me and many other people telling you to stop being a fanboy and try non-Ninty games.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Socar

@arronishere: Which I already have and I'm telling you that 95% of the time, they don't get it right.

Honestly, seeing as how SEGA can't even give what the fans want like a true sequel to Valkyria Chronicles is just upsetting for them.....

Wonder how that FE crossover will turn out in the end?

jump

^Why must all conversations with you turn into Nintendo is best and everything else is rubbish?

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Socar

@arronishere: Because its true majority of the times. While Fates is ranted being split and costing more money, Street Fighter V is criticized for its short content and its lack of arcade mode. Who you think won? FE obviously because both versions give you more content than what V will ever give.

Oh and let's look at the recent announcement of Valkyrie Azure Revolution. Looks blander than what Star Fox Zero used to be now is it?

And Pokemon? Yeah, that's a guarantee to get a localization unlike Dragon Quest right?

Again, you guys support third parties and value them if you want. I on the other hand won't because they not only exploit consumers very frequently but they also don't do what we want them to do.

jump

Socar wrote:

Because its true majority of the times. While Fates is ranted being split and costing more money, Street Fighter V is criticized for its short content and its lack of arcade mode. Who you think won? FE obviously because both versions give you more content than what V will ever give.

Oh and let's look at the recent announcement of Valkyrie Azure Revolution. Looks blander than what Star Fox Zero used to be now is it?

And Pokemon? Yeah, that's a guarantee to get a localization unlike Dragon Quest right?

Again, you guys support third parties and value them if you want. I on the other hand won't because they not only exploit consumers very frequently but they also don't do what we want them to do.

SF lacked day one content and it's still being rolled out, why are you comparing the two and declaring a winner, it makes no sense to do so.

The only person I've seen complain about Valkyrie Azure Revolution is you, you even started the post going on about how happy you are you get to complain about it, why are you comparing it with Star Fox and declaring a winner, it makes no sense to do so.

I don't follow Dragon Quest but I'm pretty sure they announced it's getting localized and one was released in the west a few months ago, why are you comparing it with Pokemon and declaring a winner, it makes no sense to do so.

Nintendo made a point of telling fans at the last E3 they aren't going to give fans want they think they want when there was an out cry about their poor showing.

Regardless of if it is or not, my point was about your obsession over it.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

jump

The thing is though it isn't even good fanboyism. You don't elevate, make Nintendo better, by trying to bring down the competition.

Nicolai wrote:

Socar

@DarthNocturnal: Not releasing mother 3 makes sense because it was released on GBA. They need to make sure that its worth releasing the game after such a long time. I'm pretty positive that after the first one got released, they will eventually release Mother 3.

Also, this ain't blind fanboyism. The ones who are blind are the ones who are simply buying in app items on AAA games that are very bad to do for a AAA game. I swear if Street Fighter V makes you pay for the content it promises to give you, the game is screwed.

Oh and I just recently played a bit of Shadowrun: Directors cut which is a different TRPG and guess what? Its damn boring and unbalanced in lots of ways. Those maps are like super long and I can't even make proper progress. So yeah, don't tell me I'm a blind fanboy when I've wasted cash on games that I thought are worth but aren't. If anything, I'd rather torture myself playing Final Fantasy Tactics again than Shadowrun.

@arronishere: Bringing down competition? Oh so Pokemon selling well in the west isn't motivating SE to localize more Quest games than before? The recent game Fire Emblem Fates can't motivate SEGA to release Valkyria Chronicles 3 to the west? Wow...tough luck! I guess competition is a joke now.

Like I said, You go ahead supporting third parties while I support First parties majority of the times. After all, you're the one that complained that I try something different in the first place.

jump

Socar wrote:

@DarthNocturnal: Not releasing mother 3 makes sense because it was released on GBA. They need to make sure that its worth releasing the game after such a long time. I'm pretty positive that after the first one got released, they will eventually release Mother 3.

Also, this ain't blind fanboyism. The ones who are blind are the ones who are simply buying in app items on AAA games that are very bad to do for a AAA game. I swear if Street Fighter V makes you pay for the content it promises to give you, the game is screwed.

Oh and I just recently played a bit of Shadowrun: Directors cut which is a different TRPG and guess what? Its damn boring and unbalanced in lots of ways. Those maps are like super long and I can't even make proper progress. So yeah, don't tell me I'm a blind fanboy when I've wasted cash on games that I thought are worth but aren't. If anything, I'd rather torture myself playing Final Fantasy Tactics again than Shadowrun.

@arronishere: Bringing down competition? Oh so Pokemon selling well in the west isn't motivating SE to localize more Quest games than before? The recent game Fire Emblem Fates can't motivate SEGA to release Valkyria Chronicles 3 to the west? Wow...tough luck! I guess competition is a joke now.

Like I said, You go ahead supporting third parties while I support First parties majority of the times. After all, you're the one that complained that I try something different in the first place.

I started writing a reply but then I realised this meme articulates my thoughts better Untitled

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Socar

^Ok whatever....we're going way too off topic here.

So like fates selling well, does that mean that FE will continue to use Pixel art? I mean, why make the development even more costly to make everything 3D right?

SomeBitTripFan

@Socar: I'd imagine, with good enough hardware, that they would just use the same models between battle scenes and the field view. Just developing a single model and doing all of the animations for it would be an even cheaper alternative. It would actually be neat to see the game just zoom in on the units' models, already standing on the field, and watch them fight with the other units and landscape surrounding them.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

Socar

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

@Socar: I'd imagine, with good enough hardware, that they would just use the same models between battle scenes and the field view. Just developing a single model and doing all of the animations for it would be an even cheaper alternative. It would actually be neat to see the game just zoom in on the units' models, already standing on the field, and watch them fight with the other units and landscape surrounding them.

.....yeah. Now do that with each and every individual class that each unit gets promoted. It'll still end up being costly though.

I mean its possible i guess but idk, Intelligent Systems really can't make 3D models right and they outsource cutscenes to animation studios.

I just love the unique art that pixel art gives. sure, you can't see all the details but at the same time, its still appealing.

yokokazuo

@Socar idk, I thought the models looked great in PoR and Radiant Dawn and wouldn't mind another console FE like that.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

SomeBitTripFan

Socar wrote:

.....yeah. Now do that with each and every individual class that each unit gets promoted. It'll still end up being costly though.

I mean its possible i guess but idk, Intelligent Systems really can't make 3D models right and they outsource cutscenes to animation studios.

I just love the unique art that pixel art gives. sure, you can't see all the details but at the same time, its still appealing.

It would end up being cheaper. They already have to make all of those 3D models for the combat scenes, I'm just suggesting that they use them on the world map as well. At worst, they would have to have an alternate LoD, but it would be far more efficient than also developing a whole set of character sprites and animations to go on the field view. And, as I've said, they could potentially make the combat scenes just zoom in on the two units, rather than having using a screen transition. Less workload, better detail, smoother transitions. PoR was gimped by old assets, since it started development on the 64. Radiant Dawn looked pretty good, but I doubt it was visually at its maximum potential. Awakening has some nice effects, but they didn't think they could animate feet and the 3DS screen resolution is pathetic. That's the only reason they went with the field sprites in the 3DS games, the poor screen resolution. The next Fire Emblem game is going to come out on an HD console or a handheld with a screen resolution two to three times higher than the 3DS screen resolution. They'll be going back to models at the least. As you've said, Fire Emblem is a major Nintendo franchise. It needs the detailed, high fidelity graphics to prove it is a serious, mature franchise for mature gamers. Little pixelated sprites on a big HD battlefield isn't going to convince anyone that Fire Emblem is an IP that Nintendo is strongly supporting or taking seriously.

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.