Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,768

Eel

The iPad screen has a closer aspect ratio to the one the game originally used.

The switch and your regular modern TV have wider screens.

If you're trying to fill one of those screens then you have two options:

Stretch the game to fill it and ruin the graphics.

Or...

Zoom in and lose detail and make everything look, well, zoomed in.

Neither option is good.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DeionG

ipad is 12:10. so id say its more like in between.. but when using appletv to cast to the tv it displays in 4k and is stretched out just fine. looks decent on the tv. im not expecting modern graphics. but its def better then what the switch looks like on the same tv.

DeionG

Tyranexx

@Glitchling78: Thanks! That's thankfully not as large as I was thinking it would be.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Xyphon22

I've only every played the original on the NES Classic and some of 3/6. I've thought I'll try 7 just because I've heard so much about it forever, but is it the general consensus that 9 is better? I know there is generally no common storyline or anything through the games, but is there any discernible reason that I should try to play 7 first?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Eel

Maybe because now it’s more primitive and so it won’t feel like you’re going back in time if you play a newer title first.

But to be honest it’s up to you, you won’t really miss much from playing one or the other first.

Bloop.

Glitchling78

@Xyphon22 not really, 7 is obviously more iconic so you may already be familiar with some of the characters.

I personally prefer 9 but I love 7 too. In a nutshell:
9 feels traditional final fantasy, it’s in a fantasy style world (sort of steampunk) and characters have fixed specific roles like healer, thief, summoner, knight. The graphics are much better but battles are slower.
7 is more futuristic (sort of dieselpunk), especially the starting area. Characters have equipable abilities so you could choose to have them in specific roles, or could make everyone a jack of all trades. The graphics are clunky by today’s standards but they’re not horrific.
Both have great stories, with an enjoyable mix of serious and lightheartedness. Both also have fantastic music. I’d say they’re of equal difficulty.

Glitchling78

Xyphon22

@Glitchling78 Not really. I've heard of Cloud, but that's honestly all I really know about the game. When I say I've heard so much about it forever, it's really just that it is supposed to be awesome. I know pretty much no specifics. I think my plan at this point, though, is just to play 3/6 on my SNES Classic since I already own that. And by the time I beat that in about 2 years I can probably get both 7 and 9 for cheaper than I could get 9 today (if I like it enough to decide I want to try them).

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Anti-Matter

Btw, we know FF IX switch version will probably never have a physical release.
So, i have an idea to cheat my mind by purchasing BOTH Switch (digital) & PS1 (physical) version.
So even i didn't have a physical release of FF IX switch version, at least i can pretend i feel have the physical thing from PS1 version.

Anti-Matter

iDidSomething

So i read that FFIX Sound sounds "compressed" and lacking of Bass on the Switch. Has anyone played the game yet and can say anything about it?

iDidSomething

NEStalgia

@iDidSomething I say this politely as as much of a hardcore audiophile as you:
It's freaking FFIX meant to fit the whole game on a CD-Rom in the 90's of course it's compressed! The annual block buster of the year is compressed! GET OVER IT!"

I love great sound and wish for great sound as much as anyone in games, but audiophilia has no place in gaming. By definition it has to be compressed even in the largest games. The best thing an audiophile can do is to not pull out the big gear meant for pixie dust DSD masters of Coltrane and Krall, get some cheaper, forgiving, lower resolution speakers/cans that synergize with compressed audio and enjoy the sounds.

Especially with older games like all of FF before 15, I would certainly have way lower standards on audio than even so-so current games. They couldn't fit much then. It's compressed on PS4 too. It's what it is. A PS1 game where the entire thing had to fit in 700MB. Even 13 won't sound amazing. Assuming you consider 15 sounding amazing (it doesn't.)

@DeionG The backgrounds are pre-renderd and the master files were lost a long long time ago. That's the problem with 7, 8, 9. They are forever going to look bad on modern displays because the PS1 down-sample is all that remains of the master files. It will never improve. Not sure why it looks "better" on iOS unless it's just eating more CPU doing heavy dithering.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Eel

I could record and share a 30 second clip from my switch if that works for y'all.

Not sure if it would end up even more compressed from twitter though...

Bloop.

NEStalgia

@ReaderRagfihs Certain music tracks were CDDA on PS1 games, but most of the game audio wasn't. A lot of it was still synthesis with samples, which were heavily compressed. CDDA consumed WAAAY too much space to use much of with the voume of data for FFIX.

NEStalgia

Purgatorium

@iDidSomething

I heard that too and a lot of other complaints about certain sound effects and animations missing from the original when it was ported to PS4, mobile, etc.

I held back from buying it because the complaints worried me. I don't want to buy some buggy port, with tinny sound that looks like it should be played on my phone.

I tried to find videos of people playing both to compare the sound. I gotta say I can't tell the difference. You might be able to tell the difference if you've played the original and it's embedded in your childhood memories, but I never played the original and I didn't see a major difference.

It would be great if Square Enix spent the money to make this really good and not look dated, or patched some of the problems that have cropped up with the port, but they won't. I imagine they don't expect the game would sell well enough to justify the cost, and they clearly do FF7.

Purgatorium

Anti-Matter

@ReaderRagfihs
Something strange about the display quality of FF IX between PS1 version and Remaster version.
On my Switch / smartphone monitor, the PS1 version looked natural even PS1 version = 240p output. It looked like displaying an NDS game on bigger TV.
While the Remastered version have very sharp 3D polygons for characters, the Background was looked a bit blurred, very contrast with the character. I was LOLed to see a smooth and very detailed characters walking on the blurry places.

Oh, btw. I still haven't bought FF IX switch version yet. I had compared from Youtube videos on my Switch. 😅

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

komodo182

I'm a big fan of FFIX. I still have my ps1 copy, my steam copy and my ps4 copy. Anything different about this version other than its portable?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

pitstain9

@komodo182 It's essentially a portable version of the steam rerelease (borders on both sides of the screen, cheats, auto battle and revamped character models). I'm not entirely sure about the rest of the game, I just reached the Outer Continent. It's a good port thus far, did not come across any bugs aside from one instance where I reloaded a quick save and the music didn't start playing until I got into a battle. Hopefully a fix would be issued.

pitstain9

komodo182

@pitstain9 Fair. So in my case, pick it up if it goes on sale since there is nothing different really. I don't really use the switch away from my tv, so portable doesn't matter much to me.

Anti-Matter

@komodo182
Steam version has some bugs, missing animation, missing sound effects, etc.
Keep your PS1 version for better result.

Anti-Matter

komodo182

@Anti-Matter Thats the one I have played the most, followed by the ps4 versions since I like the trophy idea (mostly).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic