Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 581 to 600 of 705

Tasuki

I keep seeing on various forums Nintendo fanboys getting upset that it's coming to PS4 and Xbox. The way I see it the more people that can enjoy this wonderful game the better. I don't understand that thinking why would you not want others to enjoy a game regardless of system?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Eel

Eh that's always gonna happen with any exclusive game moving to other systems. To varying degrees of outcry.

It's better to just ignore those posts and move on with our lives.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Wow, I can't believe I was wrong about that. What an incredibly dumb thing for them to do. OK, I'll probably just stick with the original PS4 version then

You really can't call that the "Definitive Edition" I'm afraid.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Losermagnet

@Tasuki I've always wondered this too. Console pride is a bit... Immature? It's just the box that plays the game. Dragon Quest XI S is a great game regardless. Is this the first time it'll be on Xbox? I'm too lazy to check. If so, good for them. The bigger audience the better for the series.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

BruceCM

It'll be the 1st time any Dragon Quest is on XBox, @Losermagnet ....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Tasuki

@Losermagnet I believe it is. I know the DQ series has been on Nintendo and Sony consoles before (NES, Gameboy, DS, PS, PS2 etc.) but I don't think it's been on Xbox before. I might be mistaken though.

My Backlog

Losermagnet

@BruceCM @Tasuki. Thanks for the replies. Thats wild that a long running series like Dragon Quest hasn't been on Xbox yet. I knew Xbox's weren't popular in Japan, but wow. What a good place to start though.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

BruceCM

Yeah, it took a long time for the Final Fantasy games to get on XBox, too.... @Losermagnet

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tasuki

@Losermagnet it does seem odd but it seems with the Series X MS is concentrating more on the Japanese market then they did in the past.

My Backlog

Ralizah

@Tasuki I'm noticing way more people who are mocking people about being upset it's jumping ship than I am seeing people who are upset about it, personally.

@Dezzy I think we all assumed it'd be the base version with stuff added in when we first heard the news. It makes sense in context, though: the S version is essentially a completely different version of the game, designed from the ground up for the specs of the Switch. Porting that to other consoles is quick and easy, whereas it'd take quite a bit more time to re-add all of the extra stuff to the base PS4/Xbone/PC version of the game.

The visual difference really isn't that titanic, and you're getting a lot of QoL improvements, extra content, and vastly better music for the trade-off.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

BruceCM

I doubt it'll make much difference to Japanese sales of XBox, @Tasuki.... But there's plenty of westerners who play those games, after all

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Porting that to other consoles is quick and easy, whereas it'd take quite a bit more time to re-add all of the extra stuff to the base PS4/Xbone/PC version of the game.

The only part that'd actually involve some work is the new character side-stories they added.

But the game is so huge already that I didn't really care about that. I mostly just wanted the better music in the PS4 version. That would've taken almost no effort for them to do. Just copy across different music files.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Magician

Since it appears we won't be getting Dragon Quest Heroes I & II here in the west any time soon, I wonder how much longer we'll have to wait to hear more about Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai?

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Blooper987

@Magician I’m still holding out hope. I know it’s been forever but I believe it can still happen.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Quarth

So now I've beaten I and II in the Erdrick trilogy. Both gets a 7/10 from me. Enjoyable experiences. Just started up III and I can tell there's a sudden shift in quality. This one seems so more fleshed out and complex in comparison to the first two games. Hope it's not as cryptic as II.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

JoeDiddley

@Quarth are you playing on Switch? Do you get used to the graphics of these versions as I still find them a bit jarring from first impressions.

I’m wanting to play some Dragon Quest next after playing XI and V last year (probably VIII and III) so I’d be interested in how you find III.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Quarth

@JoeDiddley I think they are OK. Would have loved if they had put some more effort into the graphics, like they did with the Final Fantasy remakes on PSP (currently playing FF1, beautiful sprite work), but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter that much. The games are solid regardless of how they look. But that's just my opinion.

JoeDiddley

@Quarth fair enough. I might give the fan translated SNES version a go, but pick up the Japanese collection on Switch one day too.

@Slowdive I wish Tim Rogers could do a retrospective of other games in the series. Even a book I’d be interested in. Those videos didn’t sell me on XI but they solidified my love of that game.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Quarth

@JoeDiddley Yeah, it's the Asian physical Switch version with all three games that I have. Love to have it in my collection, next to DQXI.

You said you also were interested in VIII. Don't sleep on it! The game's a masterpiece! I have it on 3DS.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic