Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Posts 261 to 280 of 326

Dreamliner

Does Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for Switch have any weird controls or issues as a result of the port from Wii U?

I found out Captain Toad Treasure Tracker for Switch has a horrible blue blinking dot on screen at all times (when docked). It’s part of the motion control so it kinda bounces around the whole time. Awful.

This happened because the Switch doesn’t have the same functionality as the Wii U so Nintendo had to adapt those functions to the Switch (poorly).

Does DKTF have anything weird like that?

Dreamliner

1UP_MARIO

@Dreamliner nothing wired, plays great. Enjoy

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Benjoo

So I'm still ploughing through this game trying to get 100% as DK. I have all of the KONG letters in all of the worlds. Now started these K worlds. Managed to beat the first. The 2nd one I spent all evening trying to do. Starting to burn out, this game is a lot more hard core than I anticipated. However I feel these levels really enhance your platformer skills. Did these levels challenge you too, or is it just me?

Benjoo

Tyranexx

@Benjoo: Would that be Bopopolis? That level is incredibly frustrating, but you'll get the rhythm down eventually. I became so used to it that I actually used it to farm balloons.

Granted, that was a couple of years ago now, so I kinda doubt that I've still got it. XD

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Benjoo

Yes thats the one. With the owls. I got to the dual ferris wheel section and just fell short of the next section. The amount of bananas is helping me lower my balloon loss. It takes some concentration!

Benjoo

Tyranexx

Definitely! Don't worry, you'll get it!

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

toiletduck

I've finally been able to put some more hours into this. I've probably been motivated by the upcoming release of NSMB.

Wow, this game is though... It could be me, but I have serious trouble finishing most levels, let alone getting all the letters and puzzle pieces. Some levels really could use some extra check points for me. Perhaps a bit more forgiveness on some of the platforming stretches could help too I think I took 15+ tries on world 2's final boss; I really hated to start over at the beginning after almost giving him the final hit in his last stage. In my opinion this game is not very well suited for co-op gaming. You just really have to follow your own pace (or the pace the level design dictates).

I'm halfway world 3 now. I guess the time has come to start using items a bit more. Don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining. The levels design, graphics, sound, etc. are pretty cool. Every time I finish a level I feel quite proud of myself.

At least I do know I won't be able to finish this before I get Mario. I can't imagine getting all the KONG's and puzzle pieces though, perhaps not even all secret exits without using Google.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Benjoo

@toiletduck it's a hard game indeed. Wondering whether I'd like New super mario bros if I liked this? Is the difficulty the Same?

Cheers

I got to 92% completion and then burnt out. Defo returning in the near future though. Some Amazing music in that game

Benjoo

GeoChrome

@Benjoo NSMB is not near as challenging as DKCR. The best you can get is New Super Luigi U, but even then that’s only hard mainly because of the time limit.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

toiletduck

@Benjoo NSMB is a totally different experience. I haven't played the last instalment, but I finished the other three quite easily. Finding all the secrets and golden coins was quite challenging in my experience though.

But for me NSMB is mainly about fun. Both in single player as in local multiplayer I've had a lot of fun with the Wii version. Though it's way easier than DK, it's not nearly as easy as the latest Kirby.

toiletduck

BenGrimm

This game is definitely tough. Considering starting a Funky run just to finish it off.

BenGrimm

Grumblevolcano

@toiletduck The base story mode of Star Allies, sure. The Ultimate Choice and Heroes From Another Dimension? No chance, those are harder than the hardest NSMB levels (outside of Mario Maker of course).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

toiletduck

@Grumblevolcano yeah that's true, but for me personally that feels more like 'hard to be hard' than 'hard to be fun' if you know what I mean. I like a good balance in the main game (which could be freely defined, I realize that).

toiletduck

electrolite77

Up to the last boss. I think I’m done though. That last boss is so cheap it’s really disappointing. The hit box seems almost random at times. I don’t actually think I’m going to bother finishing it. Shame, but sort of indicative of my feelings towards he whole game. Almost great, ruined by the frustration levels involved.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Trajan

@electrolite77 keep at it and you'll beat it. Beat it solo on Funky mode and co-op on normal mode just last week. Took probably 100 tries, but once you beat it it feels good.

Sakurai: Which is why I think we should forget about console wars and focus on what’s really important: enjoying the games themselves.

"If we did this (mobile games), Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo." - Iwata

Ralizah

@electrolite77 Sleep on it for a day or two. I didn't have much of an issue with any of the bosses in this game, but I remember when I struggled to beat the final boss in God of War (PS2, not the new one), after trying probably a dozen times in a row to beat him, I sat the game down for a day or two, returned, and got him on my first go. Allow your brain to strengthen what you've learned on a neurobiological level.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

bluemage1989

@electrolite77 the boss fights were the only let down in this game. They go on forever and with no check pointing having to start the whole thing over can be a real drag.

bluemage1989

electrolite77

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ve decided to leave it a couple of days and come back to it maybe when I’m off work later in the week.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

NEStalgia

@Ralizah "Allow your brain to strengthen what you've learned on a neurobiological level." That has got to be the most overwrought statement I've ever read on a video game forum.

@bluemage1989 Yeah I agree, I hate, hate, hate, HATE the bosses in this game....they take far too long with far too many "phases" and yeah not checkpointing it drives me insane. I dread the boss star.

Though the sheer volume of minecart and rocket barrel levels get on my nerves too. The game shines with core platforming and those stages get in between the rhythm of the otherwise excellent platforming, making them feel kind of sparse.

I also dislike the underwater world....but I've always hated DK underwater and minecart worlds. I blame Rare.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic