Forums

Topic: Do you feel like the Switch is going to be a let down?

Posts 181 to 200 of 232

KirbyTheVampire

Cosmic-K9 wrote:

It's tough to say if I expect to be letdown by the Switch. I was disappointed in the Wii and Wii U, and yet those are both in polar opposites of the spectrum - one super successful and one...not successful. I had high expectations for Wii which is probably what led to disappointment since it was focused too much on motion controls which I didn't enjoy. And the Wii U I had almost no expectations at all for. I simply bought it because it was "the next Nintendo system". I almost didn't even buy it at all but ended up seeing it in Target maybe 2 weeks after launch and said "why not?". Despite that, I was still disappointed with the Wii U.

So that said, I'm trying to go into the Switch with low expectations so I'm not disappointed. Right now, though, I'm loving the console itself, way more than I did the Wii and Wii U. I think the "secret ingredient" of the console is very appealing to me - being able to play anywhere and with several play styles. I love that approach. But as we all know, it's all about the games. Sure the system could be amazing but without great games it's useless. So it's hard to say right now if the Switch will deliver on enough great games that I enjoy. Wii had a few gems, Wii U had a few gems, but neither offered enough that I liked personally. I'd like to think Switch will offer more for me than those two but who knows? I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but at this time, I would have to lean towards "no". I am optimistic that the Swtich will deliver.

It looks to me like the Switch will be a bit more of a return to the Gamecube days in terms of the games than the Wii and Wii U were, which I'm happy about, cause the Gamecube had some really great games. Wii and Wii U, not quite as much IMO. There were great games on both systems for sure, but just not in the same quantities as past systems. I'm still gonna wait and see, though. If it turns out to be another machine intended for casuals with a ton of shovelware like the Wii, or a bitter failure with mediocre first party support and terrible third party support like the Wii U, I might wait until the Switch is a lot cheaper so that I can play games like BoTW and Mario Odyssey. If it turns out to be Nintendo's best system since the Gamecube like I'm hoping it is, I might consider buying one in a couple years, or even during the holidays this year if it really impresses me.

In general, I'm cautiously optimistic. I really wish Nintendo wouldn't be so secretive about the 100 games that are apparently in development, though. It would be nice to know what we're actually getting outside of the games they've revealed so far. Some info about things like the online service and Virtual Console would be nice, too.

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire
Here's a list of 60ish confirmed games so far:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/02/07/here-are-all-...

I don't understand what you're finding "secretive" about the games?

There are quite a few confirmed, true, but I'm just saying they should be revealing more than that to generate hype. They've been kind of silent for a while. Maybe they just want a lot of games to show off at E3, though.

You're saying Nintendo should have revealed more than 62 games for the Switch?

rallydefault

Octane

@rallydefault To be fair, how many of those games are older ports (some are pretty old like Little Inferno)? In addition to that, most of them are smaller titles, nothing wrong with that, but they're often not the system sellers. I'm personally not sold yet on the Switch, I don't think there are enough games for me, especially at launch. I'll get it at a later point when Mario Odyssey comes out and when more games are confirmed.

Octane

jump

For year one Nintendo's first party line up it's pretty solid but it's still thin, even the 3DS managed to get Rseident Evil and Metal Gear Solid within the first year where as now there is a genuine feeling of luck that the Switch even got FIFA comfirmed.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire
Here's a list of 60ish confirmed games so far:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/02/07/here-are-all-...

I don't understand what you're finding "secretive" about the games?

There are quite a few confirmed, true, but I'm just saying they should be revealing more than that to generate hype. They've been kind of silent for a while. Maybe they just want a lot of games to show off at E3, though.

You're saying Nintendo should have revealed more than 62 games for the Switch?

Seeing as many of the games on that list are old/small/games a lot of people have never even heard of, and when so few could really persuade someone to spend 300 USD on a Switch, yeah, I'd say we need more games than that, at least in the AAA third party and first party categories. As it stands, I don't think many people would pay that much money for those games alone.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault

@Octane
I'm not going to go back and count through that list, but a conservative guess has me saying that at least two dozen of those games are large, full-scale releases that are either first-party or recent third-party ports. Many of them are exclusive.

You bring up "Little Inferno" as if that's going to explain away the other 61 games. Yea, I get it, that game has been around for awhile, and it's one that most people will recognize and complain about. But you're just straight-up ignoring everything else being offered, and that's not right.

I guess the thing that gets me is that you're not alone. There are SO MANY people out there who expect the unrealistic from this hobby. And unfortunately, we live in a pretty rabid world right now when it comes to success and failure of companies. Yes, most likely Switch will get a solid year to prove itself, but as we saw with the Wii U, if the first 6 months see low sales, this thing could be dead before it even starts. And that's because so many people will just sit on the fence and not support their hobby because they won't buy the system until it has StarFox and Mario and Metroid and Kart and Zelda and Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing and Splatoon and Pikmin AND Assassins Creed and CoD and FF and Resident Evil and etc.

And that's fine, it's your prerogative, and I don't work for Nintendo or get anything out of "defending" them here, but we need to face the music: We're on a Nintendo site, so we must enjoy what they do to a certain degree. Well, the Switch is it for them. If this thing fails, it's most likely over. No more hardware, perhaps a very muted presence as a third-party. Time to run to Sony or Microsoft if you want to game on a console. And if hold-outs like you with insane expectations stick your head in the sand until third-parties have already made up their minds on the machine, then we'll all be back here one year from now wondering where Nintendo went wrong.

I'll just get flooded with "I'm just being a conscientious consumer" and "You can't tell me how to spend my money" and "We don't owe anything to Nintendo" blah blah. Yea, I already know it all. It's just how I feel. And if you read this far, then thanks. I'm not really interested in debating how I feel, though, because that's not going to change. So I'll be happy to move onto other topics and continue discussion more of the "technicals."

Edit: I did go back and look at the list lol About 10 of those games are first-party, obviously exclusive. There are another 10 or so that are third or second-party exclusive, all "large" games. There's a slew of ports that will be fairly recent, some of them even have parity with release on the other consoles. I would say about half of the list, conservatively. So 30ish games that don't fit the "old" or "small" monikers.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

jump

rallydefault wrote:

Edit: I did go back and look at the list lol About 10 of those games are first-party, obviously exclusive. There are another 10 or so that are third or second-party exclusive, all "large" games. There's a slew of ports that will be fairly recent, some of them even have parity with release on the other consoles. I would say about half of the list, conservatively. So 30ish games that don't fit the "old" or "small" monikers.

Name them as I don't think Nintendo has even announced 10 games for the Switch.

edit
I just counted myself and including ports and 2nd parties (which you weren't including) there are just 10 Nintendo games, one of which isn't a retail game, the indie developed Snipperclips and one that's not published by Nintendo in Japan Fire Emblem Warriors.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

skywake

Octane wrote:

@rallydefault To be fair, how many of those games are older ports (some are pretty old like Little Inferno)? In addition to that, most of them are smaller titles, nothing wrong with that, but they're often not the system sellers. I'm personally not sold yet on the Switch, I don't think there are enough games for me, especially at launch. I'll get it at a later point when Mario Odyssey comes out and when more games are confirmed.

I like how "later" is still this year. I remember with the Wii U early on a lot of people were waiting for games that never came. Or games that were coming out next year and by the time they were out they were looking even further over the horizon.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

@rallydefault Yes I do care about the games, but I also care about commitment. My Wii U has been collecting dust for almost two years, the last game I played for a good while was Splatoon. I briefly played Pokken Tournament, I got Star Fox and regretted that purchase and I have Paper Mario sitting unfinished on my shelf. The last thing I want is a similar experience.

First party wise, the Switch looks pretty decent in its first year, but as a Wii U owner, there's not much that interests me. I really want to know the amount of content in ARMS, and only game I definitely want is Mario Odyssey at this point. If they have a strong E3; solid support from other developers, maybe even that Metroid game Reggie has been hinting at, or that finished Pikmin game, then I'm in. But I want to see that commitment from Nintendo and other devs. Strong sales are important for that (I think we can all agree on that), so I really hope this thing sells gangbusters from the get-go. Fortunately, it looks like the launch stock is pretty much sold out, and from the looks of it, they also overhauled their marketing department, so let's hope they keep this momentum up.

@skywake Assuming that by then we know of a good amount of 2018 games (that also appeal to me), yes, then I'll probably get one when Mario Odyssey comes out.

Octane

OptometristLime

How come you keep mentioning the PS4 in this thread, like such a tangent lol

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

rallydefault

@Octane
I appreciate your response, and I respect your opinions. It's nice to be able to discuss things maturely. My main point just remains that I believe our expectations as consumers have grown far too large - they are no longer entirely realistic, and that's not confined to just the video game industry.

But you are correct - in the end, we all want Nintendo to succeed. We all have different tastes in games. For me, the Switch's first year is insanely good. Zelda, Splatoon, Kart, and 3D Mario along with RPGs like I Am Setsuna, Octopath Traveler, Has Been Heroes, and Disgaea 5? I'm in heaven. For someone else, though, like a sports fan or a shooter fan, that lineup looks barren.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

FGPackers

rallydefault wrote:

@Octane
I appreciate your response, and I respect your opinions. It's nice to be able to discuss things maturely. My main point just remains that I believe our expectations as consumers have grown far too large - they are no longer entirely realistic, and that's not confined to just the video game industry.

But you are correct - in the end, we all want Nintendo to succeed. We all have different tastes in games. For me, the Switch's first year is insanely good. Zelda, Splatoon, Kart, and 3D Mario along with RPGs like I Am Setsuna, Octopath Traveler, Has Been Heroes, and Disgaea 5? I'm in heaven. For someone else, though, like a sports fan or a shooter fan, that lineup looks barren.

Same here @rallydefault @Octane

And for me also first year is huge, really full of titles: Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Xenoblade 2, I Am Setsuna, NBA 2K, Skyrim, Super Bomberman R, Disgaea 5, Shovel Knight and maybe Xenoverse 2 also. And 2018 looks pretty good with some games announced right from the start like FE and SMT. I think this console will be my Valentine, so as of now it's a happy February 14th for me, even if i'm single (and happy to be so!!)

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

shrktank

Let down? not for me

I think Nintendo during my life time has always developed games in which my family and I have always enjoyed. I pre-ordered the Swith and I am looking forward to it. I am finding the games on Xbox one and PS4 lack for me what Nintendo provides...FUN

shrktank

Bigj0110

Whitewatermoose wrote:

Let down? This is entirely dependent on third party support long term.

@Whitewatermoose That's what I'm saying. They have good, long term third party support, and then also bring, good third party support for AAA games. Then that would put the cherry on top for the system. Because for me in the hardware department they didn't really wow me. Like I keep stressing in this post to a bunch of replies. I feel like they could have done much better with the internal Hardware overall. Especially with the storage capacity of the hard drive. I mean if they're not going to give us a lot of good third party support especially with AAA games, then they should have stepped up their game in the hardware department to give me something really good! Honestly for $300 and no major third party AAA games or support in the near future, I think the hardware could be better!

And I guess what I've been saying before in other previous replies, is that the council feels to me like it's not from this gen. It feels like it's from a few generations ago.

To me, it feels like the Wii U all over again just with new enhancements. Like the Xbox One and then the Xbox Scorpio, or PS4 and the PS4 Pro. Something like that is how I feel about the Switch.

This is just how I feel about the console, that doesn't mean that anybody else can't have your own opinion, and do whatever they want about purchasing or not purchasing the console.

Edited on by Bigj0110

Bigj0110

KirbyTheVampire

Bigj0110 wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

@Whitewatermoose That's what I'm saying. They have good, long term third party support, and then also bring, good third party support for AAA games. Then that would put the cherry on top for the system. Because for me in the hardware department they didn't really wow me. Like I keep stressing in this post to a bunch of replies. I feel like they could have done much better with the internal Hardware overall. Especially with the storage capacity of the hard drive. I mean if they're not going to give us a lot of good third party support especially with AAA games, then they should have stepped up their game in the hardware department to give me something really good! Honestly for $300 and no major third party AAA games or support in the near future, I think the hardware could be better!

And I guess what I've been saying before in other previous replies, is that the council feels to me like it's not from this gen. It feels like it's from a few generations ago.

To me, it feels like the Wii U all over again just with new enhancements. Like the Xbox One and then the Xbox Scorpio, or PS4 and the PS4 Pro. Something like that is how I feel about the Switch.

This is just how I feel about the console, that doesn't mean that anybody else can't have your own opinion, and do whatever they want about purchasing or not purchasing the console.

You realize this is a tablet, right? How much power were you really expecting?

KirbyTheVampire

Bigj0110

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Bigj0110 wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

You realize this is a tablet, right? How much power were you really expecting?

@KirbyTheVampire, I know that it is, but it's something that's marketed as a portable device and a home console use device. But they're marking the portable device side more then the home use.

Bigj0110

LzWinky

Uh, it doesn't even have a hard drive. That would require more bulky space. Internal flash memory is barely above 32 GB anyway.

Matter of fact, it's very comparable to other tablets on the market. No tablet has the hardware of an Xbox One.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bigj0110

TheLZdragon wrote:

Uh, it doesn't even have a hard drive. That would require more bulky space. Internal flash memory is barely above 32 GB anyway.

Matter of fact, it's very comparable to other tablets on the market. No tablet has the hardware of an Xbox One.

@TheLZdragon That's what I'm saying about the first part, about the hard drive lol.

But about being as powerful as an Xbox One, I feel like there was no tablet on the market made specifically for gaming, where there main purpose is for gaming! I think this will be the first of its kind! Plus maybe not as powerful as an Xbox one but maybe more powerful than current tablets on the market! I mean if I'm not mistaken. The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 & 4, is more powerful than all or most tablets on the market! Plus I read somewhere a while ago that the Surface Pro is as fast as one of the laptops on the market!(I can't remember the name of the top of my head). Which laptops are basically as fast as regular home PC's.

I understand the price point would be higher! But then that's why you manufacture two different versions right out the gate! So people that want it powerful can buy it at a higher price point. Then for people that can't afford, or don't need all that power! Going to get a cheap one with 32GB storage capacity and all that stuff. Because they could have easily put more RAM and more storage capacity for the hard drive in the console. Without needing to make it bulkier, or having to redesign the console.

I guess you can say it's something similar to the Xbox One, and Xbox One S or Xbox Scorpio. As well as similar to is a PS4 and PS4 Pro. In terms of having the same console from the same generation just more powerful, and in their(Microsoft & Sony) case a little bit more up to date.

But the only difference here would be that they would be releasing both of them on the launch date of the console. Not the other more powerful version at a later date like the other consoles.

Again, it doesn't have to be as powerful as the Xbox One or the PS4. But can be much more powerful than what's on the market now for tablets! I mean they could potentially pave the way for strictly gaming tablets. So why not start off by setting a high standard for Hardware and Power! Why does Nintendo have to conform in terms of hardware and power to every other tablet, or majority of the tablets on the market! They're established and have been around for a very very long time. So They have the right to do it better, and ahead of the pack. Which will probably stand out because of their name!

Edited on by Bigj0110

Bigj0110

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.