Forums

Topic: Yooka-Laylee

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,090

Spoony_Tech

shingi_70 wrote:

I'm glad this is an actual thing because no one does good 3D platformers these days other than Nintendo and then there's Sega.

However I'd say temper expectations in case the game is terrible or becomes vaporware like Rustypup.

Fixed it for ya!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

cookiex

shingi_70 wrote:

I'm glad this is an actual thing because no one does 3D platformers these days other than Nintendo and Sega.

However I'd say temper expectations in case the game is terrible or becomes vaporware like Rustypup.

Rustypup just had an update last week...

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Joeynator3000

checks to see if any new news popped up...Darn. TwT

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Bolt_Strike

shingi_70 wrote:

I'm glad this is an actual thing because no one does 3D platformers these days other than Nintendo and Sega.

And even Nintendo doesn't do collectathons anymore. Aside from a handful of indie games, the entire genre's been dead for 5 years (or 10ish if you don't count Galaxy).

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

CanisWolfred

I think people tend to forget that Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper are collectathon 3D Platformers, just with more guns or more stealth, respectively. The genre hasn't been dead, they just haven't tried anything new since 2006.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bolt_Strike

CanisWolfred wrote:

I think people tend to forget that Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper are collectathon 3D Platformers, just with more guns or more stealth, respectively. The genre hasn't been dead, they just haven't tried anything new since 2006.

Neither of those two are collectathons, you don't progress through the game by collecting items in those games.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

CanisWolfred

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Neither of those two are collectathons, you don't progress through the game by collecting items in those games.

You do in Sly Cooper...but now that I think about it, that was just the first game. The later games toned that down. But I see your point. Still, this and my recent playthrough of Rare's games makes me kinda glad the collectathon is dormant...collecting things can be a royal pain and making a whole game based around it is hard to do right. Games like Sly 2 and 3 really prove that you can have an exploratory 3D platformer while still having an emphasis on platforming.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bolt_Strike

CanisWolfred wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

You do in Sly Cooper...but now that I think about it, that was just the first game. The later games toned that down. But I see your point. Still, this and my recent playthrough of Rare's games makes me kinda glad the collectathon is dormant...collecting things can be a royal pain and making a whole game based around it is hard to do right. Games like Sly 2 and 3 really prove that you can have an exploratory 3D platformer while still having an emphasis on platforming.

The point of collecting items is to give you a sense of freedom of progression. Instead of having to complete the game in a set order and having to complete one level to unlock the next, you can complete them in just about any order, you just need to complete a certain amount of them. So if you get stuck on a particular level, for example, you can move on and do something else.

Bolt_Strike

BearHunger

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Aside from a handful of indie games, the entire genre's been dead for 5 years (or 10ish if you don't count Galaxy).

Not quite.
Actually, it may as well be dead.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

CanisWolfred

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

The point of collecting items is to give you a sense of freedom of progression. Instead of having to complete the game in a set order and having to complete one level to unlock the next, you can complete them in just about any order, you just need to complete a certain amount of them. So if you get stuck on a particular level, for example, you can move on and do something else.

But you don't need collecting stuff to do that. :/ Even Super Mario Sunshine more or less proved that...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Spoony_Tech

That is awesome. Just the name sounds great. I'll keep my excitement in check somewhat because Nintendo did let Rare go for a reason.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

So that Clive N Wrench is by another company then huh? Got a little confusing at first when I saw that game for the first time.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Joeynator3000

...Fine, no answer meh. TwT
Anyways I actually thought that other game was this, turns out that's another developer. Really can't wait to see what this game is like.

Keep it PG-13-ish.

Octane

Sanya wrote:

Anyways I actually thought that other game was this, turns out that's another developer. Really can't wait to see what this game is like.

Yes that is a different developer. I'm sure this game will look better.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Pho

Octane wrote:

Sanya wrote:

Yes that is a different developer. I'm sure this game will look better.

I certainly hope it will. And what do you guys think of the lizard/gecko characters shown off so far?

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Spoony_Tech

I'm not too fond of the character choice tbh. I'd prefer animals but until I see the final product I won't say anymore. These guys did make my favorite 3d platformer after all.

MERG said:

Pho

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I'm not too fond of the character choice tbh. I'd prefer animals but until I see the final product I won't say anymore. These guys did make my favorite 3d platformer after all.

I think it'd be better if only one had the monster lizard kind of look, and the other was some sort of bear cough But I am definitely keeping an eye on Playtonic, can't wait for March. I can't play Banjo Kazooie since I recently found out my N64 died, the same one I'd had for the past almost 16 years. And i'm only 19
R.I.P. N64. You will be missed </3 :c

Edited on by Pho

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic