Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 2,761 to 2,780 of 3,493

meppi64

@GFoyle
Might be because Inversus isn't really an arcade game perhaps.
I haven't picked it up myself as it looks like it's the most fun in multiplayer and since I have no one here to play with, I tend to go for other games.
As I saw a post about Gunbird 2, I mistakenly thought that this was the challenge for the week, so I started playing a bit yesterday. Very rusty at it as it's been since the Dreamcast days that I played it.
Only to find out the challenge was Inversus.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

hybridseed

@GFoyle Pretty sure you won the Inversus challenge? Well played! @meppi64 Its a great little game and I'd love some friendly games with you or anyone else here☺

Switch: 5859 4845 9859

NNID: Hybridseed

PSN: odogzero

Zkibu

So what's the next game for the challenge?

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

CroRock

One ☝️ for GUNBIRD2.

I suggest 3 lives no continue on easiest difficulty since leaderboards are still broken and game on normal is quite challenging.

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

hybridseed

Shame the game didn't attract more interest within the group, I think most of us, myself included prefer our shmups more old school style, there are some great modern shmups out there and Inversus is definitely one of them.

hybridseed

@CroRock Don't think the first Gunbird has been done yet? The choice is GFoyle's but I think it's a bit soon for Gunbird 2 as probably only a few of us have bought it, I won't be able to buy it until Friday at the earliest as I spent the last of my money in the eShop today!

Also, I'd love to play with the settings you suggested but most of the players in here are die hard shmup junkies, normal difficulty, 3 lives and 1 credit is the standard..

I personally prefer a couple of credits but go with the majority in the challenge, then have more fun with the games afterwards ☺

CroRock

@hybridseed
Actually, I edited my post to 3 lives, no continue because I’m pretty sure I “mastered” Gunbird 2 on iPhone and finding myself struggling to complete it on Switch without using continue.
Also.. that way we could tell if someone cheated for competition (high unlikely but anyway) because last number on score.

Anyway, It’s just suggestion, I can wait for couple of weeks but it would be shame if we never do it. Great game it is! Didn’t get first one tbh because I already spent too much this month and was waiting for second.
Too much shmups on Switch.. I’m addicted and my social life is suffering 😩

Edit 2: or maybe even better... 3 lives no continue on ANY difficulty because with some characters you can bomb and get extra points if more bullets are on screen (which appears in higher difficulties ofc). So it would be high risk/better score for hard core players and at the same time more accessible for wider audience 😉

Edited on by CroRock

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

wasilewski

I saw @OorWullie was playing Strikers 1945 II tonight and I remembered watching this video from Stunfest 2108, so i thought I would share here. This guy is amazing.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

Lroy

@wasilewski That video was great. That fella is incredible at STRIKERS!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

wasilewski

@Lroy Yeah man, he has it down to a fine art.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

hybridseed

Almost mid week and we still have no current challenge.... I'm getting shmup score chasing withdrawal symptoms 😷

GFoyle

Have been busy with vacation stuff. But like i wrote before, it’s been quiet lately in general.

I don’t have time to take part in next few weeks, so I don’t have preference except I would like GUNBIRD2 to be much later so I could take part too in that one. Maybe donkey Kong in high score mode? Though I have feeling who will win that one...

Also, better make it last until 6th of July

Edited on by GFoyle

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Lroy

I think I fell off a couple of challenges as I'd decided not to buy IKARUGA or any new games for at least a month in June. I'd spent a lot in May and prior to that. Ditto the same reason for the challenge after that, INVERSUS. Same again for the PORTAL table in the latest PINBALL FX 3 challenge.

Think I missed posting a score on GALAGA '88 purely as I didn't find the time to take part that week. Otherwise, I believe I have posted a score for every arcade game we have done since we started this in Jan/Feb.

Currently, the World Cup is in full swing and that has pretty much taken up all my game time. Only happens once every four years and just so happens to have coincided with my rekindled interest in football as a sport - thanks to how much enjoyment I have had from FIFA '18 Manager Mode.

Perhaps, dare I say it, the change from set weekly challenges to longer extended ones might have muddied the water somewhat? Folks not sure what game has been chosen and for how long the challenge set?

That last point is mere speculation, I knew what the challenges were. @Oorwullie does a great job of publishing them on this thread and on the Arcade Leaderboards but just suggesting it may or been a factor (or not).

Long story short, I'm up for the next challenge and I'll take part. If I happen to already own the game, all the better 🍻

Steveovig

So, is Donkey Kong officially the new challenge game?

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5043-3463

GFoyle

Yeah, I thought DK would be fine as people were asking for it few pages ago (nobody has commented about this though).

I think the weekly cycle is a bit short in the first place. When challenge ends late on friday, the winner might not be always available immediately to select the next game (and I kinda was expecting also the winner to be 'called', like in this last one where I was the only one who posted my score here and I knew others had played as well). Anyway, it wasn't the first time the next game would be chose quite late, which left little time to participate until it was over.

In general, I think 2 week periods would work better because of these reasons, then there would be enough time if the next game is not know immediately. It's probably a bit of a burden for @OorWullie to upkeep those leader boards in this weekly cycle (I think he needs more deputies to help in this!)

Other idea would be to select next 3 games right away and winner of a challenge would always select the a game which comes after the next 2 (so there would be always at least 2 next challenges known beforehand). This would also give some extra time to prepare and winner would have better incentive to choose something they want to play too if they cannot or do not want participate back-to-back challenges (like me). It's possible also to have both, 2 week challenges and this.

I also hope that games which just released were not selected. I think it's just more fun, more balanced and we get more people participating if the game has been out for some time before it's chosen. Some might be lacking funds to buy game immediately, some (like me) would like to play the games casually and for fun before participating in competition and going more hardcore.

I still think that some small summer break would make sense.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

CroRock

Ok, GUNBIRD2 is the hardest Psikyo game on Switch IMO. Yes, harder then Dragon Blaze. Playing on normal difficulty is brutal. I can’t past over 200 000 points no matter how I play. Too many bullets which you can’t avoid for Normal settings. On baby settings I can go 1 million.
How are you doing? Or is it just me suck at?!

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

Lroy

@Oorwullie Hope you okay buddy?

Steveovig

@CroRock I can routinely get to Level 3 now but that's about it. My high score is like 230,000 and I don't ever see myself doing a large amount better. Psikyo games, for me, always seem to have a glass ceiling that I'll never break. I'm not amazing at games with tons of bullets and this game pours them on, even at Level 3. I'm not even sure why I play them but I still do, lol.

3DS Friend Code: 4983-5043-3463

OorWullie

@Lroy I'm alright mate, cheers for asking. Been a bit stressed out trying to get my business back up and running,not so easy after a 10 month break. I'm getting there. My mind has not been on this thread the past week or so and realise I've fallen behind.I've not been getting notifications from here to my email for some reason.

I feel bad for @Daftbomb He won the challenge, chose the game, I bought the game but there wasn't much feedback on here and then nothing more was said about it on my part. Sorry about that. Not sure what we should do for the next challenge?

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic