Forums

Topic: The Switch Arcade Community Thread

Posts 1,041 to 1,047 of 1,047

Moroboshi876

So tomorrow we have Vigilante, and I was looking forward to this release and it was a nice surprise that they pushed it forward (although there is no order in these releases, but Vigilante was one of the last announced, so it was unexpected), but...

I read really bad reviews everywhere. I read bad reviews with Renegade too, yet I like it, but with Vigilante they're really, really bad. Why is it considered a great influence in the genre, then?

Does anybody like it?

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 I recall playing VIGILANTE back in the day but that may have been a home conversion. Vaguely recall it was more of a sequel to on-rails belt brawler KUNG-FU than a DOUBLE DRAGON so to speak. Think it was thought of as a fairly okay game and I’ll probably pick up the Arcade Archives release to revisit it.

That said, I wanna try it on emulation first if possible as the screenshots posted here and the images on the eShop seem to have a contrast/brightness range not in keeping with how I remember the game looking. Again, perhaps I never played the arcade all that much hit it looks far too bright in the images of the Arcade Archives version I have seen so far.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Moroboshi876

So I was bored yesterday evening at home and played a couple arcade games on my Switch for a few minutes, and then I remembered the fun I had with Neo Turf Masters months ago and booted it up again. There was a pending update, though, so I accepted it and waited for it to end before I booted the game up now finally to play it... and then I discovered its name had changed.

It's no longer Neo Turf Masters, at least on Switch, but Big Tournament Golf, its Japanese name. It's a cosmetic change, actually, because you can still choose between International and Japanese version, but the Neo Turf Masters title is gone everywhere. It's a little change, but it hurts a little because of the popularity of the game itself.

Justifier

Is anyone getting killer queen black? Just played couple of games, seems fun (and possibly quite a timesink, matches are over quickly so "one more game" is strong here).

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Moroboshi876

About the Neo Turf Masters change to Big Tournament Golf across all digital stores, it seems that Augusta National sued and finally got SNK and Nazca not to use "Neo Turf Masters" name anymore, because "Masters" is part of the Augusta Masters golf tournament. Sad, but this is what happens with digital games: a license is lost and games are modified or just can't be re-released anymore.

Moroboshi876

Months later I up this thread because I have to ask for your help, guys.

I have 40 € currency (I got it for less than that thanks to en eBay coupon) for the eShop and want to buy 6 Arcade Archives games. 4 of them are already decided, but I have to choose 2 more from these candidates:

VS Golf
VS Pinball
Hyper Sports
VS Balloon Fight
Kiki Kaikai
Pooyan

If I don't mention others that means I already have them or I just ruled them out.

I know Golf and Pinball are really simple and primitive, but somehow I find them appealing. Kiki Kaikai seems to be pretty tough, with just one credit available. Pooyan is a game I remember fondly by its MSX version from when I was a kid. Hyper Sports too, but I've recently booted up Track & Field for the first time and it's rather unplayable on Switch, unless I keep it docked and plug an arcade stick (which I can do, but I want my games to be playable on-the-go too, because that's how I mostly use my Switch).

Any advise? Thanks a lot!

P.S.: I wish Bubble Bobble was already on Switch (I now it's inside Bubble Bobble 4 Friends, but I want the standalone Hamster version), and I believe it will happen sooner or later, but now that Hamster started to release games already available on PS4 due to the coronavirus effect of closing the CERO age rating office in Japan I thought it was the time... yet they announced a new batch of games that, starting with VS Baseball, seem to be cutting the line.

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Moroboshi876

It's me again, upping the thread but with an actual question. And it's funny, but it's very similar to the last one I posted.

This time I have money to spend on 3 Hamster titles. 2 of them are already decided, being Circus Charlie (which was one of my favorite games on MSX back when I was a kid) and 64th Street - a Detective Story, a fine beat'em up simply overshadow by other fighting games from 1991, one of them a certain Street Fighter II.

But which will be the third title? I would buy Trio the Punch, but it's unknown when it's going to be released and I don't want to wait any longer. Possible candidates:

Kiki Kaikai (from the previous list)

Double Dragon II (it's been on the eShop for so long now that I'm afraid it's going to be on offer sooner or later)

Burger Time (a classic, but although I like single screen old platformers, I don't know if it's going to be entertaining enough)

Super Dodgeball (I love the NES version and Kunio-kun series, but we must admit that the original arcade game is barebones compared to the graphically worse, but better as a game, NES one)

What are your opinions about these games, guys?

Thanks a lot

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic