Forums

Topic: The Switch Arcade Community Thread

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 1,047

Moroboshi876

A change of subject: I was playing Pac-man the other night and although I love this game, and arcade games in general, I kinda suck at them. The fact is I think after level 5 the thing gets really hard, and reached level 7 like it was a miracle. No, I don't play with patterns memorized. I can't play like that nor want to. But still. I'm not going to reach level 256, but hoped to go further.

How far do you people go in Pac-man?

Are you also arcade lovers with bad skills? It saddens me. I reach level 11 in Dig Dug, for instance.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

While I wait for an answer to my previous post, I share here that, according to Hamster's Twitter account, next arcade games from the company should be Arcade Archives: Alpha Mission (ASO) -which overlaps with soon-to-be-released SNK 40th Anniversary Collection- and ACA Neo Geo: Savage Reing.

So they're leaving Puzzle Booble to the end, and I guess they will release PB1 first, and the better one later. Why? They should've put more space between them, right? Unless Pleasure Goal goes in between, but that wouldn't be enough.

monkeyspasm

It's such a huge shame that Strikers 1945 Plus has huge slowdown / stuttering issues - from looking around, it wasn't that bad on the Neo Geo, which of course has slowdown on many games. The framerate is REALLY inconsistent, it's very offputting. Gutted as the game itself is excellent.

It'd possibly be my favourite Switch shooter otherwise, I prefer it to Strikers I and II. I really hope they fix the issues.

Edited on by monkeyspasm

Switch Profile name - monkeysp

Switch Friend Code: SW-7394-3764-7014

Moroboshi876

As I feared, they leave the Puzzle Bobble games literally to the end of the batch: tomorrow the weekly release is Pleasure Goal. Now the question is if they'll launch PB1 or PB2 first. It doesn't make much sense to release them with just one week apart, they didn't do it even with KOF games, but well, it's like it is.

Moroboshi876

Even worse: a new upcoming games list has been published and Puzzle Bobble 1 and 2 belong to that new list, and those list sometimes don't mean the games are released in that order. Well, double worse: PB1 and 2 won't be the first ones. This week the chosen game is Thrash Rally.

And we get Arcade Archives Urban Champion, by the way. What do you think about this game? I've never played it, but I've read it's very repetitive and dated. Maybe it's the worst of the Nintendo arcade games that we'll receive?

Moroboshi876

I think I'm alone in this thread now, but well, I wanted to say the worst fears are getting real, because Hamster releases Stakes Winner 2 this week, following an order in the list but skipping both Puzzle Bobble games.

Untitled

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Moroboshi876

And they continue going down the list skipping Puzzle Bobble 1 and 2.

This week's release is King of the Monsters 2.

Moroboshi876

This week they release Route 16 in Arcade Archives line and ACA Neo Geo Neo Geo Cup'98 (weird name, twice Neo Geo, right?).

So, this means next week we either have one of the Puzzle Bobbles or Twinkle Star Sprites, which is good. Unless they announce another batch of games that are released before the ones that are left, like what happened with Puzzle Bobble 1 & 2.

Moroboshi876

And a week later I'm here alone again to share that tomorrow Hamster brings us:

ACA Neo Geo Twinkle Star Sprites (of course, and now we'll see if next week Puzzle Bobble 1 comes or is delayed again after a new list of upcoming games is announced)

Arcade Archives: Double Dragon II

I have doubts in both cases: is Twinkle Star Sprites worth it for a solo player? And about Double Dragon II I read NES version is much better, but is the arcade version bad? I have the first entry because I'm interested in the genre, despite bad reviews, and I planned on getting the second one, but now I hesitate because I read that it's essentially the same with better graphics and sound. Is it? Is the story the same?

Thanks

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Thanks for the updates buddy. You're not alone - although I do think a fair few of the arcade enthusiasts have migrated from here to the Adult Switch Gamers Discord. @NaviandMii is the man to ask if you fancy sticking your head in to chat. I've not been very active at all on these forums lately due to a combination of real life distraction and also that I keep randomly getting signed-out when looking at the forum on my mobile, meaning I can view but not post (typing this from my Laptop).

I'm very excited for arcade perfect DOUBLE DRAGON II. I've never personally favoured either of the NES ports over the arcade version. Speaking of the arcade versions, yes DOUBLE DRAGON II is very similiar to DOUBLE DRAGON one arcade but from my hazy memory the controls and move-set might vary slightly. The plot - for what little story there is - is a continuation of the first game. Either way, I'll be thrilled to have both of these classic beat-em-ups on Switch.

Edited on by Lroy

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Thanks for your words. It's nice to know the updates are read by somebody.

About DDII I accidentally read a spoiler regarding the story, but I guess they just complain about the lack of significant changes is all. The move set changes indeed. Apparently you control the characters like you did in Renegade.

Moroboshi876

I'm here again because new Hamster releases have been announced: as it turns out Puzzle Bobble 1 and 2 won't be released yet, they were part of two "next batch of ACA Neo Geo titles" lists and the two lists have been completed without them.

This week we'll have ACA Neo Geo Metal Slug 5 and Arcade Archives Athena.

I don't really expect NL to review new releases anymore, but I'd like to know your opinions on MS 5.

Plus, it would be nice to know how Hamster is handling the emulation of three titles that overlap with SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, being Alpha Mission (already released), the aforementioned Athena and soon Ikari Warriors. Because Digital Eclipse put much effort into the emulation accuracy, but Hamster is known for its thoroughness too.

Moroboshi876

This week we'll have Arcade Archives Bomb Jack.

No word yet on which ACA Neo Geo will be released, but I guess it'll be The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship and they'll leave Puzzle Bobble 2 to the end of the most recent list of releases.

Moroboshi876

This week it appears that no ACA Neo Geo game will be released either. If all had gone as it should have today (tops) we should have seen Puzzle Bobble 2, but this game doesn't seem to ever come.

I say this because on Wednesdays Hamster uses to announce the new release of the week on Twitter, and this time it's all about World Heroes Perfect coming to PS4 and Xbox One (we have it since 2017).

On the other hand a title that was already on PS4 arrives finally to the Switch: Arcade Archives: Moon Cresta.

Moroboshi876

This week is Puzzle Bobble 2. Yes! At last! It's a good surprise, because I was expecting them to put it the last one of the list (again), so The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship goes to next week.

monkeyspasm

Yes! I'll be getting Puzzle Bobble 2, very fond memories of playing that in a local pub with a pint after work 20 years ago

Switch Profile name - monkeysp

Switch Friend Code: SW-7394-3764-7014

Moroboshi876

It seems that this week Hamster doesn't release any Neo Geo game (despite there was The Ultimate 11: SNK Football Championship left), and this is the second time after 2 weeks ago it happened for the first time ever.

Are they really closing down the line? There are some Neo Geo titles remaining, so they shouldn't! I'm OK if they want to move on to general arcade games (and if those releases come more frequently and with more than really old barely 8 bit games), but please finish the job with Neo Geo's catalog.

OorWullie

Just spotted Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Japanese Eshop. It will have an Original Mode and AGES mode, which has FM sound and 'easier continues', whatever that means. They seem to be the only additions. I wonder when it will arrive in the West? They already have Gain Ground. I'm looking forward to playing it again, Alex Kidd in Miracle World was my Super Mario Bros, lots of nostalgia for it.

Played and completed Phantasy Star for the first time the other day and loved every minute of it. I needed to use a guide for some parts but I didn't feel guilty doing so. M2 done a great job with the port, without the dungeon map I'd have given up for sure. The FM soundtrack is superb,especially the tower music.

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

Moroboshi876

@OorWullie I got that impression too, that Alex Kidd has little additions only. I hope it can be played with normal continues but also with FM sound not tied to the easier mode. I have it on Master System (unfinished), but I'll get it anyway.

About Gain Ground and Puyo Puyo, theoretically they had to come to the West together and within February. I fear a new delay...

Phantasy Star is a game I also bought and had never played, so when I finish Dragon Quest III I'm going to start this one as well as DQVIII on 3DS.

OorWullie

@Moroboshi876 I didn't know Puyo Puyo had already released. So Japan will be 3 ahead of us once Alex Kidd arrives.

I think you will enjoy Phantasy Star. I was susprised with how much I enjoyed it. I've never really been a fan of turn based RPG's, so I skipped many of the classics. I really liked Octapath Traveler though so I thought I'd give Phantasy Star a go and I'm glad I did. I completed it in 15 hours over 3 days.

This is a really good and easy to follow guide should you ever need to use it.
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/sms/ps1/

There are a few times where it's not clear where you should go next, so this will save you from a lot of aimless wandering.

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic