Forums

Topic: 2019 will redeem 2018

Posts 81 to 100 of 128

FaeKnight

To be fair though @Harmonie, when both games began development the new consoles were probably just getting started in development so the team making the games didn't have a development kit for those systems. And in both cases you mentioned, the previous generation console could still run the game. In the past when development for a game jumps from one console to the next generation, the previous generation console can no longer handle the resulting game.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

SwitchForce

Put this way straight everything is a port of something. Alot of fanboys will deny this til they day they roll into their grave. I rather get a port that gets more people to play it then go hatin NSW that tells alot about the personality of whom they are and that they already made their mind when it was just "NX".

Edited on by SwitchForce

SwitchForce

toiletduck

@Harmonie the fact that you don't need the newer console to play a certain game, doesn't meen it's not a new game. Fact is, that before March 3rd 2017 (the release date for BOTW on both systems) you (as a normal consumer) could not have been able to play the game on any console. According to your logic, if I'm buying a Wii U now with BOTW on it, and if I haven't played it on Switch, it wouldn't be a new game for Wii U. Just accept that the game released on both systems aside. It doesn't matter at all for which system it was developed primarily.

Harmonie wrote:

Although I suppose I'm one of the odd ones out and I really don't care for following Pokemon. It turns me off of Lets Go more than it does the reverse.

At least we agree on one thing

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

FaeKnight

Here's an amusing thought regarding this thread's title. If 2019 was to "redeem" 2018 in terms of Switch game releases, wouldn't that mean that someone is expecting next year's Switch release schedule to be underwhelming compared to this year, and thus make this year look better?

FaeKnight

Harmonie

@toiletduck I acknowledge that the game was released on both systems. However, I stick by the context of the reveal and the development of the game being for the Wii U. I stick by it being Wii U's Zelda even if it was also released on the Switch. It is all technicalities at this point. However, I think BOTW being Wii U's Zelda means that the Switch is open to have its own exclusive Zelda late in its lifespan. Much like Skyward Sword was the Wii's exclusive Zelda. I certainly always think of SS and not TP when I think of the Wii.

toiletduck wrote:

At least we agree on one thing

Interesting. I usually feel kind of 'bad' for having that opinion because so many people disagree and my complaints seem rather petty. However, I just have never really cared for how the following system works. It was based on which Pokemon is first in your party, and not necessarily which Pokemon you find the most appealing following you. Like I'd love to have cute Pokemon (well, IMO) like Cubone or Fletchling following me, but instead I had Feraligatr (HG) following me all of the time because it was the strongest. That just really takes away the appeal of the feature from me. I'd rather just not have it at all.

I'm, of course, open to an optional Pokemon following feature so everyone gets what they want, but I don't think that GF understands that the feature is something that can be optional and probably never will.

BTW, off-topic, but I did not know how to even italicize on this forum until I quoted your post. What kind of odd coding does this forum use? I've never heard of that code for italicizing in my nearly 20 years of interneting lol.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

ieatdragonz

@StephenYap3 I have said this before, Kirby was a fine game that deserves it sales success in Japan and worldwide. My sister and I have played through the entire game and enjoyed it very much. Her favorite powers were Chef Kawasaki and Marx.

On the single player perspective though, I was a bit sad. Levels felt slower and not as engaging alone. The extra modes also just stink compared to almost EVERY Kirby game. Its 7/10 metacritic is justified, but I still consider it a better exclusive than Mario Tennis. After all, multiplayer is still great and the recommended way to play.

It is for that reason why I think Yoshi will be better. The goodfeel devs did everything right in Yoshi's Wolly World... except multiplayer. As we were playing together, we kept attacking each other by accident and ruining the whole experience. The screen size and gameplay was not designed well for multiple characters, unlike Kirby.

Will the game's levels be good enough? That's one thing we need to consider. I think with the new perspective a lot more possibilities open up both aesthetically and design-wise. They seem competent enough so I will put some faith.

And that's why I think Yoshi will be better. The multiplayer looks to be non-intrusive to the single player and the single-player has a potential to be great. Being able to have fun with both modes is the most important thing to me.

Hope that clarifies things!

People might think I'm childish for my picture, and I am.
Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations
If you like Kirby, then you are a person I can trust.

Harmonie

@subpopz It's not necessarily "system loyalty", though. At least not in my case. My thing is that I see each console as its own independent product (I mean, each individual console does cost a fortune by itself). Games are naturally one of the most important features by which I judge consoles by (generally THE most important by a wide margin, but issues like Wii's forced motion controls can also severely impact my opinion of a console). When a console banks on selling games from a previous system and has little to offer for itself, then I naturally judge it harshly.

Like... Mario Kart. Mario Kart was one of the most enjoyable franchises for me on the Wii and Wii U. The Switch not getting a Mario Kart for itself damages my view of the Switch. Mario Kart 8 was so good that I can still enjoy it on the Switch, but it can't change the fact that I know I'm still playing the Wii U's Mario Kart and not something unique to the Switch. Thus, I will not count it toward the Switch.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

StephenYap3

@ieatdragonz Things are now clarified, cool.

I'll admit that Story Mode wasn't as good as probably RtDL or TD, but I still had somewhat of a blast regardless and it is nice to see Star Allies' overworld try something new as opposed to the usual "select stage by pressing the D-pad" thing. Guest Star Mode may not be perfect, but I actually had a blast with it and enjoyed it more than Dededetour and Meta Knightmare Returns since a multitude of characters can be controlled, not to mention that the level designs for each are mixed up a little to prevent stagnation when attempting to clear the mode with all characters. Also, I enjoyed Mario Tennis Aces (especially after how dreadful Open and Ultra Smash were for me) and though it isn't as good as Power Tennis or Star Allies even (agreed there), I don't regret my purchase at all. I'm just happy to have a Mario Tennis game for me to enjoy without RNG involved.

As for Yoshi Switch, while I do worship Good Feel Inc. for giving the green dinosaur a good game for once with Woolly World, their upcoming one (as I said) doesn't look good so far to me. The different planes feature felt tacked-on and the removal of aiming and moving makes the gameplay feel stripped-down in comparison, which is why that I am hoping that the delay will ensure that the final product will display quality. While this all sounds like I hate Yoshi, which I don't in the slightest, I want Yoshi's games to be up there with the platforming greats like Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc. I don't want Yoshi Switch to fail.

StephenYap3

ieatdragonz

@StephenYap3 Man, I would love if Yoshi did become on par with Kirby for the platforming tier 2 (only behind Mario, and only really the 3D ones). Nintendo has been straying further and further from platformers so to have a veteran series take up the grunt work would be great. Yoshi's Wooly World deserved more (except the multiplayer, which I already stated why it was obtuse).

Hell, even as a kid, I really did enjoy Yoshi's Island DS. It is only years later that I am finding out people didn't like it. Maybe it was just because of the museum feature, I loved Chao Gardens back then as well.

I believe in Good Feel, the trailer looked a lot worse than the actual gameplay did on the Treehouse anyways. It just needs a little bit of spice and thinking.

Also, yeah, didn't mean to be mean to Mario Tennis Aces. Not a bad game, just one that is criminally against my preferences as a gamer, for reasons I can (and some I can't) explain. Its sales success hopefully made it have its fans. Though, if I were to choose, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze would be the game I buy for any new Switch owners or to recommend. That game is platforming gold <3

Favorite games: Super Mario Odyssey, Super Metroid, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Sonic Generations

StephenYap3

@ieatdragonz
Yeah, multiplayer could've been better looked at (even though I didn't play it as much since my baby bro was all GTA and Minecraft back then), but regardless that didn't stop me from having a blast with Woolly World.

While I do commend DS for implementing additional babies to grant Yoshi newer options, the reason I couldn't get into it as much as the original SNES game and even Yoshi's Story is because DS felt too "soft" for me in the sense that the gameplay felt slower-paced, not to mention that something about the level design just doesn't feel right for me. Due to this, after unlocking Donkey Kong and climbing a few vines in the level I unlocked him in, I just couldn't play it anymore. Regardless, I'd rather play DS than Touch n Go or Topsy-Turvy. Oi...

Yes, I do have faith in Good Feel Inc. for making Yoshi Switch great in the end (seeing their work on Epic Yarn, Woolly World, and the giant battles from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team made me worship them), which is why that I'm hoping the footage and info they gave us at last year's E3 is only the appetizer of what's to come for Yoshi Switch.

No, I didn't think you were badmouthing Mario Tennis Aces is in anyway. As much as I do like the game (especially since I've been waiting for a Mario Tennis game relying more on skill than luck that Open and Ultra Smash were faulty for), I'll openly admit to the flaws of Aces such as "barren content" and in some cases, a rushed launch. I do wish the unlockable characters to be unlocked sooner and those missing features to be brought back sooner (i.e. Game and Set Length settings), but regardless as long as the game is still being supported through both the players and patches, then it'll be good news for the game.

Edited on by StephenYap3

StephenYap3

Agriculture

It would be awesome if Doom Eternal came on the same day to the Switch as the other consoles.

Agriculture

farrow000

The switch version of Crash Insane Trilogy was the top selling game in the UK of this year so far. Developers themselves didn't want it to happen but it sold thousands of copies. Big third party games do sell on switch hopefully next year we'll get flooded with them.

farrow000

My Nintendo: SW-3219-1520-3721

FaeKnight

No, probably not in 2019. 2019 might bring more 3rd party ports. But I wouldn't expect major new 3rd party games for the most part till 2020 unless the game is already announced. It does take time to develop a game once the publisher realizes "hey, it's worth making games for this system".

FaeKnight

toiletduck

ReaderRagfish wrote:

Too many people completely overlooked Kirby because they heard it was too short or too easy, but it was a high quality game with a lot of care put into it, even if it wasn't the best in the series.

Hmm... I've tried to get into it a few times now but without luck. In multiplayer mode the game is too easy and feels unbalanced. Furthermore it's weird that you can't switch allies but you actually have to get rid of a skill and then get a new one.

In single player the game just feels boring to me... I may have to give it another try. For certain moments DK TF is a bit to hard for me and there's still no 2D Mario, so there's still time

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

link3710

@FaeKnight On the topic of major 3rd parties:

• Atlus - Well, we know that Atlus is working on SMT V at the least, and has suggested a new Etrian Odyssey may be in the works for Switch already.
  • Square Enix - Square Enix has a dedicated team put together for exclusives for the Switch, and we don't know what they're up to now. Bravely Third has been teased though.
  • Ubisoft - They seems pretty invested in Switch, so I'd be surprised if they don't have something in the works. Mario & Rabbids only launched what, 3 months after reveal? I'd be surprised if they don't reveal something else for next year.
  • Bethesda. They have already revealed Doom Eternal is coming day 1 to Switch, so they're taken care of.
  • EA - not happening other than FIFA 20 lets move on.
  • Capcom - Megaman 11 wasn't revealed until this year so who knows what they have up their sleeves, but we do know at the least they're bringing over a new exclusive Ace Attourney next year.
  • Level 5 - Inazuma 11 Ares is coming out from them at the very least, but they did say they have multiple projects in the works for Switch
  • Sega - You may actually be right on Sega. With Team Sonic Racing coming in December, I don't know what new releases might actually make it to Switch next year.
  • Activision Blizzard - Nothing new probably, but Overwatch and Spyro might count as major releases that are quite plausible?
  • Koei Tecmo - We can assume there will probably be a new Warriors title from them at the least on the system late next year since we're getting Warriors Orochi 4 soon. We don't know anything they're up to other than Nioh 2 (probably not gonna happen on Switch) so it's hard to say with them.
  • Bandai Namco - Digimon Survive is already announced for 2019, but the untitled Digimon Story game can safely be assumed to be 2020. They may survive us, but I'd say that's their major Switch release for the year.
  • Take-Two/Rockstar - Ports and NBA 2K20, moving on.

As an aside, NIS America, Telltale Games and several other publishers are pretty much sure shots, but I wouldn't count most of their releases as major enough to warrant their own entries. THQ Nordic will probably just stick to ports though.

So looking over the list, I'd expect every major publisher to release at least one major title either exclusive or day and date with other systems next year.

link3710

ieatdragonz

Thread may be a week old, but it's gonna be real interesting how people look at the situation now after yesterday. Because 2019 is starting to feel full. Originally, I expected some quality titles first party wise, but if all the games confirmed for 2019 right now and at least one of the unknowns (Bayo, MP4, Shin Megami V), I think it would be the best year of Nintendo thus far.

Its just sad that the Online might lessen the magic. I don't want anything discouraging third parties from joining on. Though, that's just for the online multiplayer games, which doesn't really fall out of EA's, 2K's, or Activision's reach. Square bringing a multitude of everything is the best sign in this category. Final Fantasy VII on a NINTENDO SYSTEM.

And I get to play Smash Brothers. It might be 2018, but that's only 24 days. Not as many to play with as 2019

Also @StephenYap3 , Yoshi looks a lot better and faster paced. I think Good Feel's delay has done it!

FaeKnight

I still don't think 2018 needs to be "redeemed" because it's a solid year on it's own. Besides which, the phrasing of the thread's title implies the belief that next year's release schedule will be underwhelming, thus make this year's releases look better by comparison. And it's looking like next year will be equally spectacular as this year.

FaeKnight

Magician

2018 First Party Switch Non-Port Exclusives
Kirby Star Allies
Sushi Strikers
Mario Tennis Aces
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Scheduled 2019 First Party Exclusives
Yoshi's Crafted World
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Animal Crossing
Daemon X Machina
Luigi's Mansion 3
Metroid Prime 4
Bayonetta 3
Town

...and who knows what the December Direct is going to reveal for 2019? In any case, 2019 is shaping up to be a year to remember.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

link3710

@Magician You forgot Travis Strikes Again, Nintendo is publishing that aren't they?

link3710

chardir

@FaeKnight I think you are misunderstanding the word redeem. It means to pay off a debt, so the "debt" of 2018 being underwhelming is paid off by 2019 over-achieving.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: LMR-JBK-RWG

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.