Forums

Topic: 2019 will redeem 2018

Posts 21 to 40 of 128

FaeKnight

GrailUK wrote:

@ilikeike 2017 games will sell Switches well in to 2019. Working as intended.

Well, yeah. Zelda and Mario Odyssey were the two main things that convinced me to buy one. But I'd only intended to buy one game in July and maybe one in August. Not six full price games and two budget titles (3 if you include the two pinball tables I picked up with extra eshop credit). I still don't have Mario Odyssey yet. I'd initially picked up Mario Kart 8 as a second game so I could have something multiplayer to play with my brother.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

StephenYap3

@ilikeike
To be fair, 2018 didn't start for me until March, where Kirby Star Allies and Atelier Lydie & Suelle began the year for me. Then again, whenever I encounter a "drought" month, I usually use those months to stock up on eShop funds or preorders...

@Magician
Really? The only Wii U ports in 2018 this year, as far as I know, are Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad. I don't see how four Wii U ports could fill up the entirety of 2018...

StephenYap3

JasmineDragon

If 2019 is any better for Switch I may have to get a second job.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Anorax

ilikeike wrote:

But from an unbiased, objective perspective, it cannot be denied that 2018 has not lived up to expectations following 2017.

You should really preface that with "in my opinion". I thought 2018 had the best releases since the Switch was released. In 2017 the only two titles that I thought were amazing were BOTW and XC2. It all depends what sort of games you are interested in. Your opinion is biased as you preferred the games that were release in 2017 - nothing wrong with that.

Windows 10 gaming desktop | Nintendo Switch

darkfenrir

2018 are great, and 2019 will be great for me~

Heck even this year I'm having hard time trying to fit my budget to buy games and still buying other things I want

darkfenrir

FaeKnight

darkfenrir wrote:

2018 are great, and 2019 will be great for me~

Heck even this year I'm having hard time trying to fit my budget to buy games and still buying other things I want

Try trying to fit buying the games you want into your budget while still buying the things you need... Like paying rent, buying groceries, and so forth while still saving up for Christmas shopping.

FaeKnight

darkfenrir

@FaeKnight mm, it's more of splitting the money between my spending budget (It's pretty much all budget to buy things that I want). If I don't spend other than for food this month I should be able to have no problem the rest of the year though... hopefully.

Next month is TWEWY, November is Pokemon, then hoping Tales of Vesperia will be this year... hopefully.

darkfenrir

Ralizah

I've found the best way to get most of the games I want each year is to just treat them like utilities. Figure out when they're coming out, set aside the money, adjust accordingly with other non-essential expenditures.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

StephenYap3 wrote:

@Magician
Really? The only Wii U ports in 2018 this year, as far as I know, are Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, and Captain Toad. I don't see how four Wii U ports could fill up the entirety of 2018...

I'm not going to argue semantics. Just a simple comparison of the number of first party exclusives released in 2017 vs. 2018 will be sufficient. In that regard, Nintendo has come up short. That's not to say that 2018 has been a complete waste, but I'd wager Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, and Sushi Strikers won't make it on to anyones' all-time top ten Switch games list a few years from now. Nintendo knows they need to do better.

And I'm confident they will deliver.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

FaeKnight

You may have a larger budget then me. I ended up buying Mario+Rabbids and Hollow Knight (it was on sale for $10, but that ended up cutting out a third of my grocery budget for the month. Which is okay, I can get by on $50 worth of food twice a month instead of the budgeted $75-$100 twice a month. In fact I deliberately over budget groceries to account for ordering pizza a couple times a month or times when I have to restock on stuff like toilet paper, shampoo, and the like. At which point I'll get enough to last six months to a year.

FaeKnight

puNINTENDed

I'm sure there will be lots of great stuff next year. Nintendo was probably focusing a little more this year on getting their online service running and Labo. Smash is also pretty huge looking at massive the amount of content.

Looking at the titles they released (and the ones they didn't release) they know what the fans want as games are concerned. I've mentioned a few of these things before .

*Odyssey, Breath of the Wild are great games that gave us something we've wanted but haven't gotten from those respective series.
*We're getting Mario Party without the car feature.
*Yoshi was delayed because people felt that game looked unfinished.
*They kept some the more universally hated titles (Star Fox: Zero and Paper Mario: Color Splash) on the dying Wii U instead of porting them to the Switch, which at that point had already been announced. That leads me to believe they know of the bad reception those games had received.

puNINTENDed

link3710

@FaeKnight If you like Bayonetta, I have to recommend getting the second one. The game builds and improves on basically everything from the first one, and feels like it had a proper budget this time around. Definitely my favorite game released this year.

Which brings me onto the main topic. This year has been ludicrously good for me in terms of gaming. I didn't get XC2 until this year, Doom was amazing, Octo Expansion was brilliant, Captain Toad and Tropical Freeze were great to finally get a chance to really play, Crash trilogy was a glorious remaster of games I'd only played at friend's houses growing up, so it was a mix of new and nostalgia for me, Hollow Knight is everything I've wanted from a 2D Metroid game for the past 10 or so years (Samus Returns just... didn't quite reach that level.) Even Aces and Star Allies were enjoyable, despite their flaws.

And there's still a ton of games I personally want that I haven't gotten or are releasing soon. So personally, I'm in no rush for more games, and I really enjoyed 2018. No need to make it up to me at least. Besides which, my all time favorite game series, Smash Bros is getting what's poised to be the best entry so far soon. I'm sure people will consider 2019 better, but for me, I haven't been disappointed yet.

link3710

paihia

redeem? 2018 has been EPIC what are you talking about?

paihia

ilikeike

Alrighty, last clarification...I hope

This thread wasn't meant to belittle anybody's opinions that Nintendo's lineup this year was great. Rather, it was meant as an answer to the prevalent complaint I've seen around the Internet and the real world that Nintendo has really dropped the ball on the Switch after this year. I've heard tons of people dissing Nintendo this year, claiming that Smash, cardboard and last-gen ports are the only games they've released in 2018. All I wanted to do was show that 2019 will not have the same issues, and that next year seems set to answer these concerns with more original first party exclusives, more third party support, and more big games to suit everyone's tastes.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Mountain_Man

ilikeike wrote:

I think it's safe to sat that 2018 hasn't exactly been the year that most Nintendo fans have been hoping for.

The only thing it's safe for you to say is that 2018 hasn't exactly been the year that you were hoping for.

I, on the other hand, think it has been a great year with a number of solid releases already, and Nintendo is going to finish strong with Super Smash Bros. and Diablo III, two games that are guaranteed to move a lot of Switch consoles this Christmas season.

The Mountain Man

EvilLucario

I'll repeat this over and over until the end of my days:

Who the hell has enough time to play all the games they want? With my job and classes, I don't have time to finish a lot of games, especially long as hell ones like Xenoblade 2, BotW, and other RPGs. Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe also being multiplayer really allows for a lot of playtime too. And I don't really have a social life either, add that on top and yeah, who really has time?

I honestly get the feeling people just want the feeling of buying games, never playing them, then complain there's not enough games for them. That, or they don't have a job (and not job searching, I do realize it is hard to search for jobs) or classes so they have all the time to just play games all day.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

StephenYap3

Magician wrote:

StephenYap3 wrote:

@Magician

I'm not going to argue semantics. Just a simple comparison of the number of first party exclusives released in 2017 vs. 2018 will be sufficient. In that regard, Nintendo has come up short. That's not to say that 2018 has been a complete waste, but I'd wager Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, and Sushi Strikers won't make it on to anyones' all-time top ten Switch games list a few years from now. Nintendo knows they need to do better.

And I'm confident they will deliver.

@Magician
I'm not going to argue delusions either. Nintendo has always been putting out their first-party games on the Switch, even with ports. And just because Mario Tennis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, and Sushi Striker are "bad" doesn't automatically make it so for everybody else.

And personally, I don't know if I'm hyped for 2019 in the first-party department. At least from the footage and info last year, Yoshi Switch looks very underwhelming (especially after how amazing Wooly World was on Wii U) and it's pretty hard for me to be excited for the core Pokémon games when there's been nary a sniff of info for it.

StephenYap3

GeeEmm

Well thats great news. 2018 has been a great year for me so bring on 2019!!

GeeEmm

StephenYap3

@ilikeike Yeah, I'm not here to rain down on anybody's opinions either and I usually let people have their opinions to get through their days, but I am willing to call out those individuals who are in the wrong such as those that blatantly spout "o 2018 was trash all ports n indies n no new games too much labo". That, right there, is factually wrong.

StephenYap3

Anorax

I think the best part of the Nintendo Switch is opening it up to indie games developers. It makes it a universal gaming device that appeals to all ages and thereby broadening its userbase.

Windows 10 gaming desktop | Nintendo Switch

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.