Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 621 to 640 of 641

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

This all started when I asked where he gets the information to pretty much "know" what the NX can or can't be. He answered me, and I was satisfied. I didn't say a word to you until you included me on a post claiming you were being "interrogated."

Yeah, why wouldn't I also respond? I was in the same position. I figured it was worth me also adding my bit in given that:
A) Asking how people are qualified to answer is a load of BS
B) I was more vocal about what wasn't possible

So yeah. Really? Is your whole multi-page rant about me being "pretentious" just about this? Because I answered a question I took as an open question? Because you wanted to grill people who had an opinion on what hyrbid concepts didn't make sense? But not everyone, just specific people....

rallydefault wrote:

Also, what is the winky face for? I don't understand. Is that some way to make fun of somebody on the internet? It seems kind of childish. It makes me feel like I'm trying to debate with a child who is sticking their tongue out or something.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

skywake

@DefHalan: You can disable email notifications. Plus the site now has a handy notification icon at the top so email notifications aren't really necessary anymore. Not that I've ever used them.

DefHalan

@skywake: I still use e-mail notifications. Really helps with the amiibo hunt lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

jump

DefHalan wrote:

I still use e-mail notifications. Really helps with the amiibo hunt lol

You change the setting so you get an email for watched threads and just the blue thingy in the corner when someone @ you. As soon as the site featured @ing I turned off notifactions but I still got emails for watched threads.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

LetsGoRetro

skywake wrote:

@LetsGoRetro:
A few things to point out here....

1) The controller was a fake so if you thought it was real you were wrong
2) The controller wasn't even brought up in this thread until the @rallydefault post you quoted
3) In the thread where it was actually discussed? I wasn't keen on the idea but said it was an very impressive fake. I was dismissive of the controller itself but I thought I was pretty fair and explained why pretty well. And for full context here is what I actually said in the other threads before it was shown to be a fake:

skywake wrote:

I refuse to believe any leaks showing a system with no face buttons. I just see no reason for it as a concept. I also think it's strange that we hear that Wii U production has stopped and then immediately get leaks that make it look like a portable.

It wouldn't be very hard at all to create this yourself if you had the gear. It'd take a bit of skill and a few hours but you could do it. If you had a decent 3D printer the hardest bit would be cutting the perspex to fit in the gap shown. Though again if you had access to the right kinds of gear even that'd be very easy.

Also there are some parts of trying to mock this up that would be very hard to fake. You'd struggle to make realistic looking headphone jacks and you'd potentially have a hard time making things like shoulder buttons etc. You could also struggle making a decent looking cartridge slot. All of those things can be done but they would be the hardest bits to make look "professional". None of that is shown in any of the photos.

and also this

skywake wrote:

Buttons are one of only two or three things that portables have over phones and tablets. The other things being more options for distribution of large files (i.e. cartridges) and a more premium market. Now the distribution problem is slowly going away with improved infrastructure and storage. If you take away the buttons? All portables have left is the higher cost of content.....

Though to be fair the biggest issue pure touch screen devices have is analogue stick emulation. This solves that issue. So in theory you probably wouldn't have many issues playing shooters or racing games. And in theory there are ways to get around just having a touch screen for some strategy and adventure games. Though good luck trying to play platformers, fighting games or any game that requires that kind of precision.

4) From what I can gather @rallydefault disliked that @DefHalan and I weren't impressed by the various hybrid theories. But for some reason @rallydefault decided to change the topic to one about the controller.
5) I don't see how disagreeing with someone and explaining why is rude
6) If I have said something offensive? Point it out, quote it, explain what I've done wrong

1- i literally said in the post right above this one that i was 80-20 on it being a fake and then you write that. I wouldnt care if i was wrong, but i never form a definite opinion on leaks. I just never know.

2) ok so i quoted rallydefaults post and responded to it? What are you trying to convey to me here?

3) why are you so keen on showing you knew it was a fake? Who cares? Did i even mention your thoughts on the leak? I dont remember doing that. I feel like you are responding to me on something i dont think i ever said with these first 3 points.

5) i will go through and find examples later.

LetsGoRetro

Andrzej777

In all honesty, only the dual release makes any sense. Imagine, zelda U comes out during the holiday season as a wii -u exclusive, and the nx also comes out during the holiday season. Well, that doesnt really fit IMHO.

The scenario would be: You could either buy the next generation nintendo console with some great games like for example the next Luigis Mansion - or buy yourself a dying wii u with one of the most amazing titles ever (hopefully). So what would people do? Buy both systems? Doesnt make any sense to me.

A dual release is probably whats gonna happen - unless there is backwards compatibility. BC would be the most awesome thing, people could buy the nx with Zelda U as a killer app - and those with only a wii u at home could still enjoy the game.

Andrzej777

LetsGoRetro

@Andrzej777: Yep, exactly. Dual release is very likely. Of all the scenarios available, it only coming to Wii U makes the least sense of any of them. Nintendo has enough of a problem fighting whatever Sony and Microsoft come up with for the Holiday season. The last thing they are going to do is fight themselves with a "choose between our new console and our dying console that is getting the game you all want most" proposition.

Edited on by LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

skywake

@LetsGoRetro:
How about we find out what the NX is and when it's coming out. Then we can talk about what is and isn't likely to happen to Zelda U.

DefHalan

@LetsGoRetro: That is, if the NX is coming out this year. The further we get into the year, without a lot of talk about it, the more likely it is launching at another time.

DBPirate

DefHalan wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As to your second point, I again show my technical illiteracy, but rumors I saw (or if not going by rumors, let's just say "what I believe to be possible) is the same game can essentially be "scaled down" on the handheld by activating/not activating certain processors or something along those lines. So, you essentially get a "scaled down" version of The Division on the portable, I'm guessing?

The developer would then basically have to make two versions of the game. There is no easy scaling button that could be made. Certain games will prioritize certain processes more than others. This would not be something easy to develop for because every game would need to have a version that works on the portable. That requires more development time and more testing time. Also lessens your sales potential since you buy the game once and have it on both systems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they have to make two versions of the game on the Wii U for Off-TV play on the GamePad?

If that's not the case, that's what I'm imagining when @LetsGoRetro describes what he sees the NX as. Basically just an Off-TV play feature that has unlimited range. I feel like the wording is making things a bit complicated.

EDIT: And yes, I know this was four pages ago. I just wanted to get this cleared up.

Edited on by DBPirate

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

DefHalan

DBPirate wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

As to your second point, I again show my technical illiteracy, but rumors I saw (or if not going by rumors, let's just say "what I believe to be possible) is the same game can essentially be "scaled down" on the handheld by activating/not activating certain processors or something along those lines. So, you essentially get a "scaled down" version of The Division on the portable, I'm guessing?

The developer would then basically have to make two versions of the game. There is no easy scaling button that could be made. Certain games will prioritize certain processes more than others. This would not be something easy to develop for because every game would need to have a version that works on the portable. That requires more development time and more testing time. Also lessens your sales potential since you buy the game once and have it on both systems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did they have to make two versions of the game on the Wii U for Off-TV play on the GamePad?

If that's not the case, that's what I'm imagining when LetsGoRetro describes what he sees the NX as. Basically just an Off-TV play feature that has unlimited range. I feel like the wording is making things a bit complicated.

EDIT: And yes, I know this was four pages ago. I just wanted to get this cleared up.

No, he wasn't talking about the Home Console streaming to a handheld. He was talking about a Handheld that would run Home Console games.

DBPirate

DefHalan wrote:

DBPirate wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

If that's not the case, that's what I'm imagining when LetsGoRetro describes what he sees the NX as. Basically just an Off-TV play feature that has unlimited range. I feel like the wording is making things a bit complicated.

No, he wasn't talking about the Home Console streaming to a handheld. He was talking about a Handheld that would run Home Console games.

Ah. Well, I always just imagine unlimited Off-TV Play whenever I think of the NX. I guess that technically wouldn't be considered a hybrid then.

Edited on by DBPirate

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

LetsGoRetro

Well, boys, looks like I was pretty dang right!

I was off by 3 months, fine. That's strange to me that it's launching in March, but, hey, I guess they have their reasons. I just happen to think of console launches ALWAYS as Holiday events, so March 2017 to me is essentially Holiday 2016, as it's surely closer to that than Holiday 2017, haha.

So, lots of us got a little something to feel right about. I, of course, was right about the most of anyone in the thread, however. =) It looks like I win Not that it was hard using common sense to put together what was being said at what times and why, but that wasn't so easy for some, it seemed.

LetsGoRetro

shaneoh

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I was off by 3 months, fine. That's strange to me that it's launching in March, but, hey, I guess they have their reasons. I just happen to think of console launches ALWAYS as Holiday events, so March 2017 to me is essentially Holiday 2016, as it's surely closer to that than Holiday 2017, haha.

So, lots of us got a little something to feel right about. I, of course, was right about the most of anyone in the thread, however. =) It looks like I win Not that it was hard using common sense to put together what was being said at what times and why, but that wasn't so easy for some, it seemed.

If we are going to play that game...

Considering I didn't commit to any particular theory, I'd say I was technically right about everything. Your classification of a Holiday period is way off considering that March is several months after Christmas (I'll also briefly mention the nigh impossibility that it is closer to Holiday 2016 considering our inability to travel backwards through time).

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

skywake

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Well if we're going to do this lets do this properly. All of these were November 2015 quotes:

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Well, I don't know. Maybe it gets a dumbed down version, or maybe it skips Wii U.

bzzt

Octane wrote:

To be fair, they never said that it is going to be Wii U ''exclusive''. Is it going to be a Wii U title? Most definitely.

ding ding!

LetsGoRetro wrote:

I am sorry, my friend, but Wii U is a sinking ship and Nintendo is too smart a company to go down with it. Do you honestly think they're thinking it's a better idea to release it as a Wii U exclusive than either an NX exclusive or a dual release?

ding ding! (except the NX exclusive bit)

shaneoh wrote:

Well if the NX is a handheld I think it might be a bit difficult to port it from the Wii U

Well, that is technically correct

Operative wrote:

I think the likely scenario is a dual-release. Maybe exactly the same as Twilight Princess' situation

ding ding!

DefHalan wrote:

There is no evidence suggesting the NX is coming out in 2016 or that it would be powerful enough to run Zelda Wii U.

50:50? ... 50:50

Skywake wrote:

I don't buy the theory because it assumes the NX is a traditional home console that's launching in 2016 and is similar enough to the Wii U that a port is trivial. All three lined up for Twilight Princess, only one did for Skyward Sword. There's a fair chance that none of them could line up for Zelda U.

bzzt ... ish, I did leave the door open a bit

Edited on by skywake

shaneoh

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

There is no evidence suggesting the NX is coming out in 2016 or that it would be powerful enough to run Zelda Wii U.

50:50? ... 50:50

Actually I'd call that completely correct, as there was no evidence at that time.

skywake wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

Well if the NX is a handheld I think it might be a bit difficult to port it from the Wii U

Well, that is technically correct

Untitled

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Octane

@LetsGoRetro: Of course, you were right about the NX coming March 2017, you were right about Zelda getting delayed again and Zelda now coming in 2017. Well done!

Octane

LetsGoRetro

@skywake

Lol, good job cherry picking the comments. BTW I'm obviously intentionally busting chops, in case you haven't noticed. It's all in fun. HOWEVER, I have discussed many points, but have said over 20 times probably that this is what I'm standing by:

1) Zelda is DEFINITELY coming to NX, and I was open to it either being a digital release or skipping Wii U (DING DING! It's a dual release)

2) NX was a home console (Ding ding)

3) It's coming Holiday 2016 (bzzzt, but kind of half credit because I don't think any of us assumed they'd skip a Holiday release, so it was either Holiday 2016 or Holiday 2017. So, I wasn't far off. It's an odd strategy, but hey, it's Nintendo.

So, I'm scoring a 2.5 out of 3 for myself! Not bad!

You guys have pretty much stuck to the facts that it's most likely a handheld, which as far as we know is wrong. Maybe there will be a handheld portion, but we have no info to support that. And you guys all were adamant it was coming late 2017, so you were all pretty much wrong on all counts!

How funny that now that I was right you're saying things like "I'm not giving you credit for what the prevailing theory was!!! Oh so what!!!"

haha! Oh, ok, so I don't deserve credit because it was the prevailing theory, yet you disagreed with pretty much every point of it. Lolol you guys are nuts. But I love ya's.

I was very much right. It's not the end of the world. Let's be happy I was, because we're probably getting an awesome console a year earlier than you expected it.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

Also, this website needs to stop with locking threads because they're similar to other threads, or about the same game. That is absolutely ridiculous. I know it's the policy of the board, but that is a dumb policy. This is the only forum I've ever seen do that. You should be able to post whatever threads you want. Just because it's about a similar topic, I have to be the 7,654th comment on a 6 month old thread?

Do you know why I'm making a thread? Because I thought of a topic that I want people to read and talk with me about. Why do I have to go under a thousand comments and hope somebody has no life and gets to mine? We make new threads so it's easy for people to see what we've typed.

What a silly rule. But, whatever. I plan to be gone from this board soon, as soon as I can decide between a couple other websites as my new home, and few will miss me. The horrible thread policies, and attitude people have for criticizing Nintendo makes this an unenjoyable place to post. Which is a shame, because I enjoy the general website. Alex Olney and a few others are skilled writers, bloggers, I respect their opinions, etc. But, these forums are totally lame.

A bunch of people who get mad if you criticize Nintendo to the point that they won't even read anything else you've written. You can make complete and total sense but the people on this board will be blind to it if it goes against their precious Nintendo and says they did something bad. These people are the root of the problem for the downside of Nintendo over the past 15 years.

Eh, whatever. I'll shut up now.

LetsGoRetro

LetsGoRetro

OK, serious discussion real quick, guys, if you're up for it. I'm starting to wonder if Zelda is really going to be something totally unexpected. Maybe even have MMO elements or something? Although it makes sense that it's the only playable game at e3, and what they're focusing on, because all their other games are for an as-of-yet unrevealed system, I just wonder if maybe this game is much more than we think it is and that's why they're comfortable dedicating a whole e3 to it.

One of the conventions they are rethinking was playing by yourself, was it not? The potential of what this could mean has been criminally underrated, in my opinion. The blogs have all favored the dungeons being done out of order, overworld being puzzle like, etc. The whole "play by yourself" convention comment seems to be being overlooked because nobody can imagine Zelda being anything but a single player adventure game like it's always been.

I'm curious as to what your opinions are on the breaking of the "playing by yourself" convention. I think it's much more than a tingle tuner item or something silly that a second player jumps in. Maybe it's couch co-op, maybe online play, but I have a feeling it's something totally different, new, and exciting that is going to blow people's minds when revealed.

Nintendo has something really good that they're confident can carry E3. I don't think we've unlocked what it is, yet. Opinions?

LetsGoRetro

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.