Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,821 to 3,840 of 70,080

WebHead

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/yogabook the bottom part is like a high tech large touchpad that can display graphics. I wonder if this could be applied to a controller with a touchpad such like dualshock 4.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

@Octane @DjLewe78
You can always build your own pizza oven. I know of a few people who have done that. Failing that you can get a mini pizza oven style attachment for the BBQ. Thick stone, thermometer etc. Drop that on the hotplate and you're ready to go. Been meaning to get one myself now that summer is just around the corner again.

That said with any luck the NX will have a pizza oven attachment. Two birds, one stone.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

@DjLewe78 What do you think I've been making for years by now? I guess it's time for another rumour then!

@WebHead Instead of the touchpad? I think so, but as a replacement of actual buttons? I don't like that idea. I've read the reviews and everyone complained about the fact that typing was a pain in the arse; when there's no physical feedback of where the buttons are placed, people were forced to constantly look down at the keyboard. It doesn't really work as a keyboard, as a controller it would be a disaster.

Octane

FragRed

@erv That may depend on how true the Eurogamer leaks were, but for there not to be any actual photo leaks of the NX dev kits is something that's shocked me. I'd have thought there'd be at least one by now.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

WebHead

@Octane hmm. maybe force feedback? like the buttons and sticks could work like normal but each would have their own vibration motor. hold say the a button long enough and it activates a second function?

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Octane

@skywake That's what I'm planning to do once I'm done with university and can move out of this crappy apartment I'm currently in. No backyard = no pizza oven.

Octane

Octane

@WebHead Not sure what you mean by that. Controllers can already do that. In a Mario game, the longer you hold the A-button, the higher he jumps. I'm not really sure what you mean by a second function.

Octane

MarcelRguez

@Octane I think he's referring to the way some touchscreens simulate the presence of a physical button through vibration, in the same vein smartphones vibrate softly with each virtual key press. Improve that to the required degree and you might have a substitute for buttons or not

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Octane

@MarcelRguez Nah, not happening. It works on your phone because the touchpad is also the screen you're looking at. However, when you separate the two. Controller and TV screen for example, or the Lenovo touchpad and its screen. It suddenly doesn't work anymore. Buttons are much more useful for tactile feedback. Not only do they tell you when you've pressed a button, but since you can feel the contours of the buttons, you also know which buttons you're pressing.

Octane

EOTW

I just thought of something. The E3 demo of Breath of the Wild lacked gamepad functionality didn't it? Wasn't the rumored reason because they didn't want the Wii U version to have any pros over the NX? If we follow that logic then it would imply that NX won't have anything like a gamepad. If it were a hybrid then it would have a screen on the controller, so it would be capable of gamepad support. There are a few explanations for this:
1) They haven't implemented gamepad support yet or they can't due to limitations of the Wii U. It is a pretty intensive game after all.
2) The NX is something completely different from the rumored hybrid console.
3) The NX will be more of a handheld and can only stream to TV, rather than utilizing two screens like the Wii U.
4) I have gone far too deep down the rabbit hole.

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

DefHalan

@EOTW It is number 4

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

EOTW

@DefHalan Would you like a cup of tea?

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

MarcelRguez

@Ichi I'm not seeing developers rushing to confirm their support, exactly. So far, and unless I'm forgetting anything, the only retail games confirmed besides BotW are DQX-XI, Just Dance and Sonic's 2017 game. We've heard things from Koei and Namco, but they haven't announced anything yet. I don't think that'll change through this week.

Unless they show me the games, I'll just assume it's PR talk.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

@Ichi That didn't stop Square and Sega, and I'm assuming Namco and Koei are in a similar position as those two. Not sure about others like Capcom.

About Take-Two and Bethesda, we haven't really heard anything about them that confirms or denies that they know what the NX even is, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if they know little more than your average Western dev. And in the case they do, both have expressed disinterest, which contradicts your theory.

Speaking of Ubisoft: I'm not up to date with how the hostile takeover by Vivendi is going but, from what I read a couple of weeks back, it doesn't seem there's much they can do. Assuming it becomes a Vivendi property, how do you all think the takeover would affect whatever plans they have for the NX? Ubisoft was one of the last big publishers to abandon the Wii U, their absence would leave a big hole on the NX's potential lineup.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Octane

@EOTW Maybe Aonuma didn't like the idea of including the GamePad? Tropical Freeze doesn't make use of the GamePad and it doesn't make the game less good than it is. Not everything needs a second screen and motion controls shoehorned into it. Some games just work better without all those bells and whistles.

@Ichi That's what always happens. The Wii U was promised big support. It sort of happened during launch, albeit a big disappointed, then they disappeared. Predicting third party support is really easy; The console has to be either easy to develop for or sell a lot of units. Preferably a combination of the two. We know that the NX won't be the first one, so if you want to see the big AAA games on NX, it needs to sell Wii numbers (well, definitely a lot more than the Wii U).

Octane

MarcelRguez

It couldn't get worse than the Wii U reveal. Bad communication with the consumer, bad branding, non-existent marketing, unappealing launch lineup, delays due to Nintendo not being used to HD development...

They could reveal the system the week before launch with just Breath of the Wild and, as long as the core concept is good, it would still end up selling better than the Wii U.

MarcelRguez

Grumblevolcano

@Ichi A lot of the talk sounds like "we will support the system if the console sells well enough" type talk.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MarcelRguez

@Ichi Nice roundup. However, this is what I understand from those statements:

EA: "We'll be there if it sells"
Capcom: "We'll consider it if it sells"
Level-5: "We'll be there if it sells"
Ubisoft: "Guaranteed support"
Warner: "Guaranteed support"
Take-Two: "We don't know what it is, but Nintendo hardware is exciting"
Bethesda: "No support unless we can port for cheap"
Eidos: "No comments, we're busy"

I'd argue that many of those are not positive but neutral, and those that are positive are not positive because of the hardware, with Ubisoft being the big exception. Positive talk means nothing if they don't know what the thing is, that's my main point.

About Vivendi, I'm just asking because I'm not informed about the matter myself.

@AlternateButtons Exactly. That's why I'm optimistic about the NX.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Octane

@Ichi If it's a handheld, that means it's not an x86 based console. Third party games would require porting. That's the exact same situation the Wii U was in. Not as powerful and a different architecture.

Octane

Octane

@Ichi That's what all the rumours have been pointing to.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic