Forums

Topic: Nintendo NX

Posts 121 to 140 of 360

LzWinky

Yeah! Market your systems to those who would have already bought them...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Knux

I might be interested in it...three to four years from when it launches. I got too many games and systems to buy and play without worrying about next-gen.

Knux

Bolt_Strike

Operative wrote:

It's annoying that the word "gimmick" has been twisted into such a negative term. Because it's only through experimentation that we find out where the industry will go. I'm betting a bunch of people would have called the joystick a gimmick if there was internet back then. There's good gimmicks and bad ones, but just doing something different doesn't automatically make the console bad. For example, I hope off tv play sticks around for future Nintendo consoles. I find that to be a good gimmick

This. I hate how people have become so stubbornly resistant to change nowadays. It's really limiting for the industry's potential and makes it boring.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Arminillo

If it's a platform (im thinking like steam) not a console, I probably won't touch it. Especially if there is no physical media. I kinda just made myself sad.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

iKhan

Operative wrote:

It's annoying that the word "gimmick" has been twisted into such a negative term. Because it's only through experimentation that we find out where the industry will go. I'm betting a bunch of people would have called the joystick a gimmick if there was internet back then. There's good gimmicks and bad ones, but just doing something different doesn't automatically make the console bad. For example, I hope off tv play sticks around for future Nintendo consoles. I find that to be a good gimmick

If anything, every system needs a gimmick to differentiate itself.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

HandheldGuru97

I'm excited for the NX, I really am. I think Nintendo is, (for better or for worse), adapting to the times. Mobile is it now, whether you hate the games or not. Thats just where money is at now, but only for those lucky few if I may add. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that! Nintendo can really do something exciting, now will I go out and blindly support it??? Eh....maybe the first one But back to the matter at hand the NX. I think that mystery behind what the NX might and might not be is really, really exciting. While I for one am not quite ready for a "Hybrid Console/Handheld" as a "HandheldGuru I would prefer just a dedicated handheld, but I'll try out a hybrid (so long as I can keep it a little more handheld-y). Now will I get it day one??? After the NOA Debacle Over the New 3DS....I just have to wait it out. Besides, new hardware always has physical (and firmware) kinks that can get smoothed out in 6-8 months (and with those 6-8 months comes the most important thing...more games!!!!)

TL;DR: I'm excited for Nintendo's future, you don't have to love mobile games or FtP. The NX, while I hope it is just a dedicated handheld, whether it a hybrid, a handheld, a console or something else entirely! I'm pretty bloody excited....lets hold onto our hats. The next 18 months are going to be a wild ride.

Edited on by HandheldGuru97

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

MsJubilee

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Operative wrote:

This. I hate how people have become so stubbornly resistant to change nowadays. It's really limiting for the industry's potential and makes it boring.

Here's a nice gimmick Nintendo can do.Bring back third party!That's a change isn't? especially for a Nintendo console.Will they do it?Nah.Will they say "Were bringing back third party,with this new console."(If it is one)yes without a doubt.Will Nintendo fans hate on all third party dev,for not making game for their system?Oh yeah they will.All i'm saying they should stop with the gimmicks,cause they did that Wiiu and that failed.(Not miserably,but enough to get them worried)But i really hope they keep the NX name for whatever there making.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Bolt_Strike

TwilightAngel wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Operative wrote:

Here's a nice gimmick Nintendo can do.Bring back third party!That's a change isn't? especially for a Nintendo console.Will they do it?Nah.Will they say "Were bringing back third party,with this new console."(If it is one)yes without a doubt.Will Nintendo fans hate on all third party dev,for not making game for their system?Oh yeah they will.All i'm saying they should stop with the gimmicks,cause they did that Wiiu and that failed.(Not miserably,but enough to get them worried)But i really hope they keep the NX name for whatever there making.

Not the kind of change I mean. The industry resists innovations and new gameplay styles, they just want the same games with the same gameplay played with the same controllers. What I'm saying is the fanbase holds the industry back from its full potential because they just want the same thing over and over again.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Jacob717

I hope the next console is competitive with Sony and Microsoft, so they can get more third party support, thus more people buying their console.

Jacob717

skywake

crimsoncavalier wrote:

The reason I do not believe it will be a handheld is because they are announcing a partnership with a mobile gaming company. I am aware that mobile =/= handheld gaming, but I feel that they are close enough to each other that they will not want to be getting in each other's way in that sense.

Well except that Iwata specifically said two things during the conference. Firstly he said that even though they are putting Nintendo's IP on mobile they don't want to devalue their IP. Basically they want to still be able to sell a more "premium" piece of software on dedicated hardware. It was then when he announced that Nintendo were working on new hardware codenamed "Nintendo NX". I think they were pretty damn clear that they still want to create premium games on dedicated hardware. Which makes sense, they're not going to abandon the great business they have selling full-retail portable games like Pokemon and Animal Crossing. That's what I took it to mean anyways.

DefHalan wrote:

I think the feel of to soon most people are experiencing is because the last generation was so long. People are still expecting this gen to last 7-8 years while thinking it is to long to wait for hardware, just a conflict of what they think and what they feel. For those saying it is to soon, what about the current hardware do they still need to explore that won't be seen in the next two years?

For the Wii U? Well we know what we want to see in the next year and that year is pretty packed. Beyond that I'd like to see what Retro Studios can do with the hardware outside of Donkey Kong. I'd like to see HD versions of Kid Icarus and Metroid. Further down the road I would like to see something like a Super Mario Galaxy or maybe something more quirky like Punchout or something. I reckon there's also plenty of room for some Mario Sports titles and lets not forget Animal Crossing. I think the bigger question is, if they gave us the guts of a PS4 with the Nintendo logo.... what sort of games could be made that we can't already get on Wii U? What if the third parties didn't all come across instantaneously?

For the 3DS? It's an entirely different story. We've had a 3DS Zelda, Mario, and Animal Crossing. We've got our quirky little sports titles and we've even got games like Kid Icarus. I love the thing but I think we've seen all it can do at this point. When people talk about this hybrid idea lets not forget that they're talking about what would essentially be a portable console first. A portable console that, if you look at what can be done, would be a huge jump for the 3DS but would actually be a downgrade from the Wii U. Combine that with a higher resolution screen? All of a sudden we can get a portable version of Pikmin, a Super Mario Galaxy that we can take out while waiting for a bus. And instead of making it a hybrid why not instead give us cross-buy and cross-play?

Forget about replacing the Wii U because there are more ideas they could deliver on it. Forget about the hybrid console because even if implemented well it won't be as capable as the Wii U is. But a portable that can all of a sudden give me Nintendo games that have never been possible on a handheld device? Where's the queue?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Dezzy

No idea why they've announced this now. And then said you won't hear more until next year. That's a fair way off. All I'll say is that I really hope this somehow incorporates the current platforms rather than replacing them. I do love Nintendo but I really can't be doing with a short lifespan on hardware. If they full on ditch the Wii U within the next 2 years, I'll probably just stick with the PS4 which will at least be around for quite a while yet.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

skywake

Dezzy wrote:

No idea why they've announced this now. And then said you won't hear more until next year. That's a fair way off

It's right there in the announcement. They announced it because they want to show that even though they're working on mobile games they're not abandoning their current business selling premium software on dedicated hardware. If they hadn't announced that they were working on something investors would assume that they were abandoning the 3DS.

..... unfortunately the internet has it's own ideas about what it means. The internet has a short attention span and come to conclusions about things based solely on the headlines. They assume it must be replacing the Wii U because sales and that the mobile bit must mean that they're also abandoning the 3DS. Apparently the people who are staking their money on this know what's up, Nintendo's share priced immediately jumped by 30-something % on the announcement

Edited on by skywake

19Robb92

Dezzy wrote:

No idea why they've announced this now. And then said you won't hear more until next year.

Pretty obvious IMO.

It's a counter measure. Mention one thing you know your fanbase do not like and re-assure them by mention something you know they want to hear. The only reason they mentioned it now was so that people wouldn't go crazy screaming Nintendo will go 3rd party, jump out of the console war, leave gaming etc. etc. etc. just because they're choosing to make games for phones.

What surprises me the most is that people are assuming NX will be a WiiU-replacement though. I thought of their next handheld system as soon as they mentioned it, not a home console. I can't see them ditching the WiiU yet. The 3DS, on the other hand, has had the usual handheld life-span and due to be replaced.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

skywake

Just throwing this onto the fire. This is what can be done NOW with a device that costs about as much as the 3DS did at launch. All this while the PS4, XBOne and you could argue even the Wii U are priced at about where they should be in terms of price to performance. The 3DS was never a powerhouse but it has definitely fallen well behind.

Edited on by skywake

Octane

I'm not even sure this will replace either the Wii U or 3DS, the way it was set up in their presentation made it seem as if it is another system. Something like the Virtual Boy, a device different from both the handheld and home console.

Octane

Bolt_Strike

For those of you thinking it's too soon for next gen consoles, here's some food for thought. The average console lifespan is about 5 years, the SNES, N64, and GC all lasted about that long. NX is being revealed in 2016, which means a likely 2017 release date. 2017 is 5 years after the launch of the Wii U. So it's not too short, it only feels that way because:

1. 7th gen was longer than usual (6 years for Wii, 7 for DS and PS3, and 8 for 360).
2. Wii U's library took a few years to pick up.

It's not too soon to release a new console, quite the contrary, it's exactly the right time for Nintendo to move on to next gen.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

For those of you thinking it's too soon for next gen consoles, here's some food for thought. The average console lifespan is about 5 years, the SNES, N64, and GC all lasted about that long. NX is being revealed in 2016, which means a likely 2017 release date. 2017 is 5 years after the launch of the Wii U. So it's not too short, it only feels that way because:

1. 7th gen was longer than usual (6 years for Wii, 7 for DS and PS3, and 8 for 360).

So it's not too soon to release a new console, quite the contrary, it's exactly the right time for Nintendo to move on to next gen.

Sure, but by spring 2017, the 3DS will be pushing 6 years old. While the Wii U benefits from the slow adoption of 4K, the 3DS was technologically behind when it launched, and is still getting consistently blown away by competing mobile devices.

Additionally, we actually have heard quite a bit more information regarding Nintendo's next handheld. We learned about the SHARP freeform displays, and we've seen Nintendo hiring for system-on-a-chip architectures.

I'm 90% sure the NX will be a handheld, not because the Wii U isn't ready for an update, but because the 3DS is MORE ready.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

@Bolt_Strike Whilst I'm not going to argue that it's too soon, as I too think 2017 is a good year for a Wii U successor, the way NX was presented made it look like some kind of third pillar: a device to complement the 3DS and Wii U.

Untitled

Octane

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

So it's not too short, it only feels that way because:

It's not too soon to release a new console, quite the contrary, it's exactly the right time for Nintendo to move on to next gen.

I agree they could release a replacement for the Wii U in 2016, it wouldn't be the first time. I just think that it makes a lot more sense for this to be a portable instead. Look, I knocked this chart up in five seconds in excel... I think it makes the point pretty clear

Untitled

In a nutshell, if this is a portable they could get it out as the clock ticks over to 2016 and the 3DS would have still had a good innings. However if it's replacing the Wii U? Well even if it's in December 2016 that would mean the Wii U was easily one of the shortest consoles they've had. Perhaps even shorter than the GBA.

Edited on by skywake

Bolt_Strike

@iKhan Well Wii U is getting blown away even more by the lack of mainstream appeal and third party support, so financially the console sector is in more dire need of an upgrade. But I don't think it'll be just one or the other, it'll probably be something that satisfies both.

@Octane Just because all three of them have the same account support doesn't mean they'll be complementary devices. The 3DS and Wii U may stick around another year or two, but probably with reduced support. Aside from that, I highly doubt that this will be a third pillar, even if they intended for it to be. For them to have a successful third pillar they would need to create a new gaming environment that handheld and console can't cover, and that would be very difficult. It's probably not a mobile device or PC because third parties of those devices are already supported and that would cannibalize sales. It's probably not a TV plugin because that wouldn't really do anything that console couldn't. So what kind of device could it be that isn't already covered by the other 5 in that graphic?

@skywake Well I don't think it'd be too insane to phase out the Wii U in 4 years considering how it's been underperforming, but if you read my post you'd know that I was thinking they're going to release it in 2017, not 2016. That would give the Wii U an average lifespan. Nintendo seems to like showing off their new hardware a year before it releases.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.